North Cyprus Tourist Board - Has anyone been warned by Dopi? and if so what will you do?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Has anyone been warned by Dopi? and if so what will you do?

Has anyone been warned by Dopi? and if so what will you do?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

newscoop

Message Posted:
21/12/2009 17:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 24 in Discussion

The wife got a call from a lady at Dopi this afternoon stating that now the service is OK we have until the end of the week to pay the subs. (£175) When my wife asked about the months compensation she was told that we had that two weeks ago, wife then said that our service didn't normalise till Saturday 19th but the lady was adamant.

Pay by the end of the week or be cut off.

Anyone else get a similar call?

If so what do they intend to do?

I should have thought that given the crap service over the last six or so weeks most would like to see it working properly for at least a month before paying up.

Opinions.

scruff

Message Posted:
21/12/2009 20:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 24 in Discussion

Sounds like blackmail to me. Because you have paid such a large amount upfront to get the system in the first place, they have you in a corner. What wonderful customer service. Firstly provide a crap service for a month, with very little communication with customers (all one sided) & then 2 days after things improve, threaten to cut you off if you don't pay up immediately.

You really all need to get together & make it clear to Dopi that this is not the way to run a business which is supposedly providing the customer with a service. Your choice at the end of the day, newscoop.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
21/12/2009 20:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 24 in Discussion

6xm was banned from this board "for telling the truth about Dopi", he says. Hmm.

Worth reading: http://www.flickr.com/photos/veta_mark/4198818923/

greengate8

Message Posted:
21/12/2009 20:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 24 in Discussion

Hi Newscoop

I have not had any communications from dopi despite my trying to find out what is going on over the past 4 weeks, and as for the service improving, it was still scrambling today. So yes we should have a months' compensation (as was promised in thier statement of 2/11/09 on thier website, you may want to take a printout) - to see if the service has improved.

Hector

Message Posted:
21/12/2009 20:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 24 in Discussion

If all of their customers refused to pay anything other than monthly they would be forced to agree. What happens if they have found a short fix, get customers to pay for a year and then lose the service again?

andrew4232

Message Posted:
21/12/2009 21:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 24 in Discussion

i certainly would not part with any money until i was sure what i was getting if you do your a fool !

Camli

Message Posted:
21/12/2009 22:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 24 in Discussion

I think they said you would get a month free when you signed up for another year.it has been fine for over a week now. yes you get a few minutes off here and now but that is the nature of the system. I always find if you speak to people rather than shouting and screaming at them and having a go on a message board the customer service tends to be better.Despite the problems I have found Dopi`s customers service to be pretty good. im not sure what people expect them to do..if your subs are due do you just expect them to say its ok dont pay? if they did that then everybody would be saying he got this and he got that. its a business and no matter what you think about the set up they have to make money. I see so many messages about people saying im going to do this and that but how many have actually done anything??? if you dont like it walk away. if it dosnt work for a while just think, you took the risk in the first place and your lucky you have a guy running it that wants to put it right

Hector

Message Posted:
21/12/2009 22:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 24 in Discussion

"if it dosnt work for a while just think, you took the risk in the first place and your lucky you have a guy running it that wants to put it right"

Err...'lucky' ? ... isn't that because he is running a business and you have paid him your money?

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
22/12/2009 06:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 24 in Discussion

First, I am not a Dopi customer but if I was........

We subscribed to Showtime until the costs increased by "silly money". We looked at the alternatves around the time things started to go wrong with Dopi and several smaller suppliers and decided to accept that we will cut back on our TV watching by just watching FTA channels.

I believe 6 M's is correct in that eventually Dopi and the rest will be forced out of business by the satillite operators making it impossible or too costly to operate.

Given msg 1, if Dopi had said that I can delay my renewal by a month to make up for lost service I may have accepted. However I would now be so suspicious of the service I would just refuse to pay. Some will say it is easy to say from afar, that is why I quoted our own circumstances first.

It really depends on how desperate you are to watch TV.

Texas

Message Posted:
22/12/2009 06:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 24 in Discussion

Get cut off, rent a few DVD's. See if it improves next month. Or better still, wait until the Spring, when having TV is less important.

Or even better still, keep those New Year resolutions: Watch less TV, excersise more, eat less, learn Turkish!

Simples.

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
22/12/2009 07:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 24 in Discussion

I have said before on another thread that we will only be offering them either payments of a month up front or quarterly and that if enough subscribers did this then they would have to reconsider their options. There is absolutely no way that we will pay for an annual subscription due to what has happened this last month and not forgetting the weeks prior to this last month when we first started to get a lot of scrambling and were unable to watch very few programmes all the way through.

If Dopi will not accept this then we will put this down to another lesson of paying for anything 12 months in advance in the TRNC (ie the Turkcell fiasco as another example).

I must add that due to the amount of money we laid out initially for the installation, which was circa £500, we are reluctant to just give up altogether with Dopi however if they will not work with us we will cut our losses and run.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
22/12/2009 07:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 24 in Discussion

scoobydoo/msg11:

What Turkcell 'fiasco' are you referring to, or were you just thinking 'out loud' when you wrote it?

negativenick

Message Posted:
22/12/2009 07:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 24 in Discussion

Just my ten penny worth.....

i think this whole Dopi TV melarkey typifies how us brits lives change when we live in the TRNC....

We come here with high hopes and dreams, but the place slowly knocks the stuffing out of you, and ultimately seeing you take shoddy service on the chin....

Well - Tell them to feck off !!

They have had their chance - they have ducked and dived for far too long....

You can download UK tv over the internet while you are asleep and watch the following day - all for free....

Try - UK Nova, The box, TV Vault, Total Chaos me, to name but a few - or if you have a 2mb connection try "film on" for live streamed TV....

Dopi have had their chance, use yer head (as me Uncle Percy used to say) and give them the heave ho.....

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
22/12/2009 07:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 24 in Discussion

I don't have Dopi and am more than happy with my Free to Air (FTA) channels. Unlike Camli (msg 7) who appears content to accept poor service and fork out even more money for 'promises' that never materialise, I would stand my ground and demand a monthly subscription. Without subscriptions, Dopi would go to the wall, so maybe it is time that you all got together and made a stand - if enough of you do it, I don't see that Dopi would have a choice. Too many expats are prepared to accept shoddy service under the banner of 'this is Cyprus my friend' and nothing will improve until people start to demand a better service.

Just my opinion of course.

Paul

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
22/12/2009 07:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 24 in Discussion

msg 12

I bought, like many of us did, 12 months unlimited use for the equivalent of 60tl per month with a free dongle, we then had all sorts of problems and couldn't get on line for a lot of the time until they moved the goal posts and then said we had limited download and that was us caught until the end of our year. They didn't even honour those of us that had committed to 12 months up front.

This why I don't trust any company now that wants 12 months up front as with Dopi and the problems we have all had and some are still having

bankadan

Message Posted:
22/12/2009 08:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 24 in Discussion

Had the same call to pay up by the end of the week in full or they will remove the box at the weekend.

Told them would pay quarterly in advance, they said they cant do as they have to pay up front for the service....

As with many others, as you have forked out the 500 quid for the fitting etc, not keen to just forget about it. I don't suppose anyone has got anywhere so far with not having to pay for the full year up front?

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
22/12/2009 08:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 24 in Discussion

Free the MMMMMM one, this is bloody disgraceful, why has he been banned for telling the truth and I think the moderator who banned him should be named and shamed.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
22/12/2009 08:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 24 in Discussion

Border if you are reading, I hope you, Veta and all your family have an extra lovely Christmas and that you get all you are hoping for xxxx

Lazy days

Message Posted:
22/12/2009 09:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 24 in Discussion

Mess 16

no way will they remove anything from us we paid for it and will keep it.

if we all stick together on this we can beat em we dont want a fight but if there is no give and take we should ALL decline to use them

OK we will lose out install money but we are gonna get ripped off anyway, who can guarantee that it wont happen again in a month, nobody thats right so quarterly in advance or we switch off

newscoop

Message Posted:
22/12/2009 10:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 24 in Discussion

Bankadan;

You own the dishes and box.

racoonchic

Message Posted:
22/12/2009 10:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 24 in Discussion

i can get film on with a 1mb connection but there a limitations i need cartoons to remain sane

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
22/12/2009 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 24 in Discussion

The amount they charge for installation, I thought, covered the cost of buying the dishes and box so they will not be getting ours back.

We are due for renewal on Jan 27th so we will wait and see.

If they will not allow us to pay quarterly or monthly then we will definitely not be renewing!!

scruff

Message Posted:
22/12/2009 19:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 24 in Discussion

I got ripped off back in 2002 with a similar set up which lasted just 2 yrs. & then the channels all started to disappear. I owned the dishes & the box + no annual charges, so just a one off outlay. The supplier did not want to know. I still have the dishes & the box. The same supplier is still advertising a similar service & presumably catching still more lambs. Once ripped off & twice shy. Never again.

I now use http://www.thebox.biz & it's fine for me. Advert free too.

Hector

Message Posted:
22/12/2009 19:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 24 in Discussion

"The same supplier is still advertising a similar service & presumably catching still more lambs"

Name them!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.