North Cyprus Tourist Board - Cypriots eat Robins and Song Thrushes at Christmas time
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Cypriots eat Robins and Song Thrushes at Christmas time

Cypriots eat Robins and Song Thrushes at Christmas time

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Restaurant threads posted so far

malsancak

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 10:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 35 in Discussion

"When I first stumbled upon a bird trapper whilst walking my dog, at first I wasn't sure what was going on..."

Read more at http://www.northcyprusfreepress.com/2009/12/23/cypriots-eat-robins-and-song-thrushes-at-christmas-time/

clayton

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 12:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 35 in Discussion

dell boy , and rodney wont be happy,merry christmas

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 13:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 35 in Discussion

I am somewhat contemptuous of a polemic that includes the words "apparently" and "estimated". One also has to ask, is this illegal? It may offend the sensibilities of British people who have Robins on their Christmas cards and hold the little bird in affection, but one has to bear in mind cultural practices - in the same way we find it abhorrent tiny birds should be captured and eaten - is it not horrifying that we have badger baiting, put terriers and stoats down holes to flush out rabbits (whilst our children have them as pets), steeple chasing, greyhound racing (anyone ask the animals what they think) battery farming, turkeys raised to be so unfeasibly big they can't mate naturally so have to be 'milked' to continue the breeding line, et cetera.......no - I am surprised that someone who states they are a school Examiner would post this; he should be worldly enough to allow for cultural practices that are the norm in one country, yet horrifying to the populace of others..........

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 14:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 35 in Discussion

Message 3 , you raise a very good point. So many people with double standards.

At the end of the day we eat meat , fish, and poultry. We kill them .

Also with regards to cultural practices, If we live in another country ie. TRNC. then we have to accept the locals way of life.

May be if we hadn,t bent over backwards in the UK to accomodate every minoritys needs and wishes, many of us may have still been there

erolz

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 14:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 35 in Discussion

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/bird-trapping-35-cent-autumn-2009/20091223

Bird trapping with the use of lime sticks or mist nets is illegal in the North as it is in the rest of Cyprus.

The main problem with these forms of trapping is the indiscriminate nature of the birds caught. There many endagered species that migrate via Cyprus and these get trapped along with the relative 'safe' species. This is not for me a cultural issue but a matter of consevation.

Kuskor (the norths equivalent of Brid Life Cyprus in the south) are attemting to set up their own monitoring program similar to the ones in the south to try and get useful numbers about the extent of the problem in the north and its relative increase or decline year on year. If anyone witnesses trapping (with mist nets or lime sticks) or evidence of it please do feel free to email the details of where and when so we can add it to our store of information about this issue. Thanks.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 14:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 35 in Discussion

When we lived in a village outside Paphos, we had a cute little garden robin redbreast. One arvo, a GC hunter was levelling his double barrel 12 bore at 'our' robin, as he was flitting from branch to branch in the almond tree, inside, but on our garden border. I yelled out at the bastard - he deliberately ignored me, continuing to try to aim at the moving robin. I picked up a rock and hurled it at the tree to scare the robin away - it took off. The outraged GC abused me for all he was worth and turned the gun on me, screaming: 'Skotono!' (Gk.translation: I kill you.)

'My wife has already called the cops,' I told him in Greek, 'you'd better make yourself scarce!'

He marched off, muttering obscenities, knowing he was in breach of the law that applies to discharging a firearm in proximity to residential property.

Such prepossessing and charming people, aren't they!

Corbo

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 15:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 35 in Discussion

.At the end of the day we eat meat , fish, and poultry. We kill them .'

I have fish in kedgeree at the start of the day sometimes.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 15:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 35 in Discussion

Including garden songbirds? - I sincerely hope and trust not, Corbo!

'Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie....' - you're not Ol' King Cole, are you?

wanderer

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 15:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 35 in Discussion

Article in today's Daily Mail

The organisation believes the total number of birds trapped in Cyprus in autumn may exceed one million birds.

Netting levels were particularly high in the Dhekelia British Base (SBA) area, notably on the Pyla Range, a British Army exercise area.

Mr Stowe added: 'For such a trapping free-for-all to be going on in an area supposedly controlled by the British authorities is unbelievable and unacceptable.

'The combined SBA Police and British-army sweep operation in this area in October was a welcome first step in tackling what is effectively industrial level trapping on the range, but this decisive action needs to be repeated till this persistent problem is dealt with once and for all.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1237976/Thousands-robins-killed-Christmas-make-illegal-Cypriot-delicacy.html#ixzz0aWCf4eVJ

girne 29

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 15:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 35 in Discussion

Msgarnet

'he should be worldly enough to allow for cultural practices that are the norm in one country, yet horrifying to the populace of others..........'

We do make allowances but some things are not right at any time and too often mans inhumanity is excused as being a cultural thing when in reality it is just basic greed and cruelty ,a trait that is common in all cultures but excused in few

.The trapping of birds in Cyprus is these manners is considered illegal by the authorities and it appears it is only us foreigners that are saying it is cultural.Indeed some Cypriots might consider it offensive for as to say it is part of their culture in much the same way as we would object to an American saying badger baiting was part of ours. The thing about badger baiting etc being practised in UK is correct but should we expect foreigners not to comment on our cruelty because some think its a British cultural thing.

ataturk

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 16:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 35 in Discussion

Message 8 why would it make a difference. Msgarnet he is only posting this to advertise his online paper look at his previous posts.

newscoop

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 22:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 35 in Discussion

It's illegal full stop.

Nowt to do with cultural differences.

When Malta and Cyprus joined the eussr they signed up to Europe's rules and Europe said liming and netting of small birds was illegal.

Do not muddy things with badger baiting and the like, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

It goes on all year round in the Dhekalia area.

The Brits should stop it.

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
24/12/2009 04:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 35 in Discussion

It has EVERYTHING to do with cultural differences, that much is obvious - by the fact it is something Greek and Turkish cypriots do, and we don't!!!!!!!!! By saying it is cultural - doesn't extrapolate to my condoning or agreeing - merely stating the obvious.......anymore than by mentioning badger baiting is my saying two wrongs make a right - of course they don't!!!!!!!!!!

MartinM

Message Posted:
24/12/2009 07:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 35 in Discussion

Ms Garnet

As a Cypriot I thank you for"understanding" our little oddities here and there, but in so doing you paint us all with the same brush. The trapping of birds with lime sticks or mist nets is illegal in Northern Cyprus, and has been so for a number of years. Trapping birds is certainly a problem for some Cypriots, like me for instance.

Erolz is quite right. Please help Kuskor (North Cyprus Society for Protection of Birds and Nature) by reporting any lime sticks or instances of illegal hunting ( within 300 metres from a dwelling, and within 500 metres of wetlands) to the police. If not to the police , then to us at kuskor@gmail.com - preferably both to the police AND Kuskor.Please!!

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
24/12/2009 09:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 35 in Discussion

Here we go,another thread to point out that "ex pats "always wanting the world to change for their liking and agreeing.

The only thing that springs to my mind is "mind your own bussiness",or find yourselves something usefull to do rather than "shit stiring" again.

HAPPY ST.STEVENS

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
24/12/2009 12:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 35 in Discussion

MartinM - you are erroneous if you think that by citing "cultural difference" I could be so ignorant that I think ALL Cypriots think/do/believe that same thing - that would be as ludicrous as saying all English people think/do/believe (whatever). Everyone on this planet is a unique individual and that diversity is what makes the world such an interesting place.

I get cross when folk make sweeping judgements, talk in absolutes; 'think' for others - telling them what they think - brings to mind the saying "if you assume, it makes an ASS out of U and ME". No - after all - if one thought as you do, that would mean every Moslem thinks every apostate should be murdered, or no females should be educated, or any other extremist, mind numbing, neanderthal, knuckle dragging thought processes - fortunately - moderate Moslems who just want to live peaceful, contented lives far outnumber other Moslem extremist terrorist brain dead thugs.....you and I know that all cultures have mixed outlooks

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
24/12/2009 15:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 35 in Discussion

Yorgozlu

I don't understand your objection to the post.

This is not a case of expats trying to change something to their liking. It is highlighting an illegal practice....limestick and mistnetting of birds is illegal. Illegal means it is against the law. Now I know that in the TRNC, the law doesn't add up to much, but surely you are not choosing to defend such a practice ??

Regards

Paul

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
24/12/2009 17:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 35 in Discussion

yorgozlu/Msg15:

'Four robins and twenty song-thrushes,

Turning on a skewer,

Yum, yum, laughed the Cypriot,

Who cares if there's a coupla dozen fewer!'

Happy Christmas, sport!

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
24/12/2009 17:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 35 in Discussion

Yorgozlu, do not put us all into the same bracket please. I am Ex Pat. please see my posting. I think it is bang out of order, for people whatever nationalaity, to come to live in a another country and try to change things, or object to someone elses way of life.

If we do not like it or cannot accept it then we should not be here.

There are an awful lot of things we could object to, but you are right, it is not our business, and if we dont like it we all know where Ercan is.

Like I said it's a shame that us ex.pats. didn,t voice our opinions or make some sort of stand in our own country.

Sorry I feel Yorgozlu is spot on.

A very Happy Xmas to you all

How do you all feel about what's been allowed to happen to the UK, everything changed to suit minorities. etc.

malsancak

Message Posted:
24/12/2009 17:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 35 in Discussion

I agree with those who say that ex-pats have no rights to criticise what they don't like in north Cyprus. That's a fact not an opinion. So please remember that if you are considering buying property here or are concerned about animal welfare.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
24/12/2009 18:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 35 in Discussion

Foreigners actually have NO rights - they can be deported on a whim - end of!

So, 'Permanent Residence' is only an illusion brought on by a lack of being able to face reality.

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
24/12/2009 18:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 35 in Discussion

Like my dad always said , once you step off your own doorstep you take a big chance,

So if you don,t like it, Stay in

ataturk

Message Posted:
24/12/2009 19:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 35 in Discussion

How and why the birds are killed in my opinion is not relevant anyone who objects should immediately stop eating meat. Because cows and sheep are killed humanely does that make it ok, I dont think so.

girne 29

Message Posted:
24/12/2009 21:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 35 in Discussion

johnnylee

Spot on ,said the very same thing to my neighbour who came to UK 10 years ago.Was going on about the MPs and expenses ,told him exactly as you said' If you do not like it or cannot accept it then you should not be here. '

I wish those in the UK objected to criticism the same way.

What about that Irene Khan ,Head of Amnesity international ,we took her in from Bangladesh 30 years ago , gave her a home, a university education. Gets married and has two children in UK.

Is she gratefull for us letting her live in UK ?.Does she avoid commenting on things she doesnt like? Not in the least.Instead she heads Amnesity International and has the cheek to make comments about our complicity in torture, the behaviour of the police during the G12 demontrations,our actions in supporting brutal dictatorships,detention without trial.

If she doesnt like certain aspects of what she sees then she should go home to Bangladesh instead of criticising .

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
24/12/2009 22:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 35 in Discussion

re msg 19;

JohnyLee;

"How do you feel about what's been allowed to happen to the UK,everything changed to suit minorities,etc."

Well,I personaly tried to join the National Front,but they wouldnt have me cause of not being English.

Hope that is good enough answer.

And by all means,I do not mean at all to paint all ex-pats with the same brush.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
24/12/2009 22:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 35 in Discussion

MSG 17;

FRIENDISHPAUL;

iT IS SOMETHING WE ALL DID FEW YEARS BACK(TOO BLOODY LAZY NOW)

And the taste is funtastic.

Any of you tried "PACHA CHORBA"(lambs head soup)yet?

This time of year,with plenty garlic,nothing is better.

littlejohn

Message Posted:
25/12/2009 02:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 35 in Discussion

Message24 - your'e right - we should never allow outsiders to question our right to torture or abuse terrorists whether they are guilty or not. Give them a fair trial and then hang them!!

LivingNC

Message Posted:
25/12/2009 10:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 35 in Discussion

im a cypriot and i dont eat robins or thruses at any time of the year... and neither does any of my surrounding family & friend members...

if it is done, it is the older minor generation and it will be fading and soon to be history...

protect our wildlife...

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
25/12/2009 10:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 35 in Discussion

msg 27;

You are %100 wright.

But you know what they say in English!

TOO LITTLE,TOO LATE!!!

Have a nice xmas all.

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
25/12/2009 14:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 35 in Discussion

Within a week of arriving to live in Girne years ago (in UK at the mo-for health reasons) I was invited to a meal with Turkish Cypriot family and presented with a entire cooked Sheep's head, eyes and all - and advised the cheeks were the yummiest part - actually they were delicious, lamb being my favourite meat, though I declined to eat the eyeballs!!!!!!!! When I lived in Iran, one of the most delicious meals there, were lambs tongues with green beans, loads of tumeric, tomatoes and onions, in the form of a stew - I love eating the meals of various countries and can never understand why people would move to a foriegn land, yet only want to eat their cuisines wherever they are - weird.........

malsancak

Message Posted:
27/12/2009 17:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 35 in Discussion

In 16th century France, slowly burning cats alive was entertainment attended by the king and queen. Civilised countries now believe this practice is barbaric.

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
27/12/2009 19:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 35 in Discussion

Unfortunatley civilised countries also believe it is wrong to sentence to death people who commit barbaric crimes,

sometimes I wish we were not civilised

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
27/12/2009 23:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 35 in Discussion

msg31;

You will find that most ex pats living in Cyprus(no,I'm not painting you all with same brush)dont even bother to TRY to learn the local language,never mind anything else.Most just happy living in LITTLE BRITAIN.

As a Turkish Cypriot,I had never tasted PORK until I went to England,never tasted things called sausages(filled up with load of rubbish they call MEAT).But after all those years in UK,yum yum.......

So,I'd say,GET A GRIB people.

malsancak

Message Posted:
28/12/2009 00:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 35 in Discussion

JohhnyLee, wrongly convicted people are glad there is not a death sentence in most countries.

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
28/12/2009 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 35 in Discussion

Couldn,t agree more malsancak, but in cast iron cases , such as Yorkshire Ripper, Myra Hindley, Brady, Ian Huntley, etc. etc. etc.

Then take them off the face of the earth

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.