North Cyprus Tourist Board - Green Line - Crossing Points Regulations
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Green Line - Crossing Points Regulations

Green Line - Crossing Points Regulations

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

Aslan

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 10:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

The crossing of goods for commercial purposes or for private use from the areas of the Republic of Cyprus in which the Government of the Republic of Cyprus does not exercise effective control to the areas in which the Government of the Republic of Cyprus exercises effective control is regulated by the Council Regulation (EC) 866/2004, as amended by Regulation (EC) 293/2005 and the Committee Regulation (EC) 1480/2004.

Regarding exemptions for persons crossing the line, Regulation (ΕC) 866/2004 has been amended by Regulation (ΕC) 293/2005 as follows:

goods contained in the personal luggage of persons crossing the line shall be exempt from turnover tax and excise duty provided they have no commercial character and their total value does not exceed €135 per person;

the quantitative limits for exemptions from turnover tax and excise duty shall be 40 cigarettes and 1 litre of spirits for personal consumption. The exemption shall not be granted to persons under 17 years of ag

elko2

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 11:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

EU can decide what can cross over from the north to the dark side but its the TRNC authorities who can decide on what is allowed to pass from the dark side to TRNC.

Msg. 1 above is about tax and excise exemptions for goods passing from south to north but ultimately its TRNC who decides what can pass through.

ismet

Arek Naw

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 11:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

But when the Green Line Regulation was enacted, the TRNC agreed to implement it in a similar manner. That, however, they have manifestly failed to do

Jetski

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 11:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Ismet - isn't it talking about movement of goods from North to South - rather than the other way?

elko2

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 11:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Arek msg.3,

Whatever they agreed to and I don't have the details, both sides are free to amend their own regulations i.e. the regulations of EU is binding on the GCs but not the TCs.

Jetski msg.4,

The post (msg. 1) specifically says :

"The crossing of goods for commercial purposes or for private use *from the areas* of the Republic of Cyprus"

QED

ismet

Arek Naw

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 11:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

When the TRNC receives 99% of EUR259m in aid from EU, the pettiness of their green line customs controls demonstrates little reciprocity

insider

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 13:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Elk02, I agree with message 2 & 5.

In addition, there is no change regarding €135 per person to TRNC. Still, they are not too strict on this as long as you don't exaggerate.

elko2

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Arek (msg.6),

Talk about reciprocity, you must be joking. Just go to any crossing point and observe how the Greek Cypriot Customs check specially on Greek Cypriots returning from the north. TRNC customs has always been very relaxed compared to their counterparts in the south.

If you must talk about EU aid, simply consider what proportion of EU aid for Cyprus goes to the south and what portion to the north. Again, its a joke, you must do your homework better than this

ismet

Arek Naw

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 14:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Elko2,

I have crossed many times and not been particularly harassed by the customs on either side. However, I have never noticed any swag on Greek side, but feel the confiscation of Xmas decorations by the Turkish side, as I observed yesterday, though not from me fortunately, to be extremely petty.

By referring to EU aid, the point I am making is that 99% of EUR259m has been allocated to the Turkish side, and I feel that deserves a little relaxation of the pettiness. The situation with IKEA is another case in point.

mamachina

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 14:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Arek - Allocated - not necessarily arrived!

elko2

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 14:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Arek msg.9,

In msg. 8 I referred specifically to " how the Greek Cypriot Customs check specially on Greek Cypriot returning from the north". Unless you are a Greek Cypriot yourself you did not answer my question. As to the EU aid of 259m for the north, you simply insist on ignoring the disproportionate aid given to the south and try to avoid the issue.

TRNC has to protect her economy and what you consider pettiness may be a very serious matter for TRNC. You must realize that TRNC is neither a member of EU nor its colony and is quite capable of acting independently from them. I cannot say the same thing for TRNC-Turkey relations because TRNC depends solely on Turkey but that is another matter. Let us keep things and especially the aid in perspective.

ismet

erolz

Message Posted:
23/12/2009 14:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

The one off 258 million EU aid package is less then Turkey subsides the TRNC for every year.

Retailers and manufactueres in the TRNC are not able to compete with those in the South on a level playing field and are subject to totaly different costs. You may feel the siezure of xmas decorations is 'petty' but I suggest that if you were a retailer in the north trying to provide for their faimily by selling such things only to see their customers buy them from a retailer in the south at a price they can not get wholesale, then your persepctive may be a little different.

There is a real issue here and its not all just pettiness. Whilst retailers and manufacturers in the North continue to have a different cost base to those in the South (and partly because of ongoing EU restrictions on export btw) then there can be no unregulated 'free trade' south to north and visa versa without risking severe damage to the norths retailers and manufacturers. Competition is fine if it is equal.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.