North Cyprus Tourist Board - Electrician needs work info
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Electrician needs work info

Electrician needs work info

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Electricity in North Cyprus and KIBTEK Related Threads posted so far

jsavo

Message Posted:
31/05/2008 14:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Hello, I am considering relocating. I have been reading all i can, but so far havn't found much info that directly relates to looking for work or finding companies that recruit Electricians. I have 5 years Domestic and new build electrical experience and am C&G qualified with 17th Edition as of end of june 08. I am aware that i will need a company to employ me before i leave for cyprus.

any info about work or the construction industry there appreciated.

many thanks in advance.

jsavo

jessy

Message Posted:
31/05/2008 14:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

To be honest there arnt many. They have their own workers and pay considerably less then maybe you would wish to earn.

There are the odd jobs that the english electricians do but again charge in lira at very good prices or at least the one i use does.

elko2

Message Posted:
31/05/2008 15:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

They are using IEE regulations 17th Edition here too but I don't think you can get a work permit as an electrician. We have too many qualified but inexperienced electricians who can hardly do a two way switch, never mind the multiple way!!! I wish you good luck.

ismet

livethedream

Message Posted:
31/05/2008 15:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

My husband is also a qualified electrician, and even as a Turkish Cypriot who was born over here, and has returned, he has been told that he will have to pass an examination (in Turkish) to be able to ply his trade legally. Look into it carefully if you wish to work legally. Good Luck

ltd

jsavo

Message Posted:
31/05/2008 16:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Thanks Jessy. I thought this might be the case.

jsavo

elko2

Message Posted:
31/05/2008 18:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

ltd.

You have to pass an exam set by the chamber of electrical engineers only if you are going to submit electrical plans for approval. The exams are graded according to power rating of the projects that you are allowed. For instance, one may have a permit for up to 30 KVA and so on. Work permit is something different.

I believe in UK you do not need an electrical project. You just do it and the chaps from the electricity board come and examine it before they connect you to the supply. My collequea once wanted to renew the electrical installation of his house and the first thing he did was to go and buy himself the latest edition of IEE Regulations which was 14th Edition (That tells you how long ago that was). Anyway, he dis the rewiring and called in the inspectors. The kecp exclaming "Oh My God" and my friend was going from red to purple, worrying about what he did wrong. Eventually he asked them what the matter was and they said "this is the first time they had seen an installation with everything according to the regulations"!!!

ismet

Nunu1

Message Posted:
31/05/2008 18:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Hi Jsavo, Good luck mate, I was thinking of relocating to Cyprus to work, I have been a qualified Electrical Engineer for 28 years in UK. 8 years advanced experience in plumbing and heating and 6 years full bathroom installations.

The usual red tape and legistration in most countries stop the quality good people from working abroad........Life mate just seems to get harder!

And you know you dont get a second chance when it comes to electricity!!!

So many cowboys and chancers out there!

Good luck again!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.