North Cyprus Tourist Board - December Weather
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > December Weather

December Weather

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

trevor

Message Posted:
31/05/2008 21:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 26 in Discussion

How do, Could anyone tell me what the weather is like daytime and evening in December, January and February, is it warm through the day (how warm) and cold at night ?. Also whats the night life like especially over the Xmas/New Year.

Bradus

Message Posted:
31/05/2008 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 26 in Discussion

Never been there at Xmas but have visited end of November and February. On both these occasions I would have likened it to a good British, sunny, summer day. T shirts during the day but the temperature drops rapidly around 4pm and the jumper has to go on. Needed central heating on for a few hours at night. Island fairly quiet during this period but most bars and restaurants remain open. Hope someone who has been there at Xmas and New Year can respond to your question as I wouldn't mind going this year to test it out.

andysue

Message Posted:
31/05/2008 23:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 26 in Discussion

our first foray into north cyprus was last november when we went out to look at sites and the weather was fantastic we could not beleive it was six weeks off christmas average temperature while we were there was 23C . at night you did need a jumper . we returned three months later to pay some money to our solicitors it was early feb and what a shock ! it was awfull it rained every day apart from the last we were there and the temperature was average 13C we could not beleive it so good in november and so bad in feb ! but they do have a winter its two months jan and feb after that its back to summer. i think we can all live with a two month winter and a ten month summer regards andrew

phylray

Message Posted:
01/06/2008 01:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 26 in Discussion

Spent the millenium in Karpaz & we ate breakfast outside on 1.1.2000

some Brit ladies swam in sea on that day & have photos. to prove it

was brilliant. Very mild winter & sunny.

Jo Valentine

Message Posted:
01/06/2008 03:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 26 in Discussion

Hi

I've spent many Christmas Holidays in Ozankoy. Usually warm sunny days - T shirt weather. At 4 pm when the sun drops behind the mountain, it gets COLD. Electric blanket weather. It also gets very dark - we take street lighting for granted in England - so torches needed out of town. A much more gentle festive season, celebrated without all the hype and OTT panic buying.

Jo

simbas

Message Posted:
01/06/2008 06:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 26 in Discussion

hi trevor . we spent new year there once , it was raining non-stop torrentially , the villa was freezing , i have never known such coldness , it was warmer outside than in . possibly because of the marble thoughout , the heat coming from the fire disappeared as the villa is open planned , we now have halogen heaters which help , we are so sorry we did'nt have central heating put in at the time of build . but the good news is that all the pipes are there in readiness , and yes we will definately have it installed ,

good luck , simbas

sunnyday

Message Posted:
01/06/2008 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 26 in Discussion

We moved out here last year, so last winter was our first winter here. When the sun was out during the day (which it was most days) it was still as warm as most of the English summer. But it is cold at nights. You need some form of heating. I used our pool till the middle of November (my husband used it till about the end of December). 1st of March we were on the beach sunbathing.

breezyboy

Message Posted:
02/06/2008 12:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 26 in Discussion

Boxing day 2006 was very cold with a minus wind chill factor. Site visit lasted 4 minites and I was the only one who would get out of the car. Waves a long way over the sea wall in Kyrenia.

The meeters and greeters at the harbour reastaurants were sat in their cars touting for buisness through part open windows! We went back to our friends house in Pathos to be told it had snowed there.

Lemtich

Message Posted:
02/06/2008 12:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 26 in Discussion

I was over in February this year and it snowed, even blocking a road. I ended up buying a coal effect electric fire off my mate to put in the apartment and running the aircon on warm.

The bonus was that the air was so clear that looking north one could see the mountains of southern Turkey some 40 miles away covered in snow!

Lem

Linus

Message Posted:
08/06/2008 21:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 26 in Discussion

Hi Trevor

We to are looking at visiting NC just after Xmas so we will be there for the New Year. First opportunity i will have to come and snag my property which is now complete but the development should be completely finished by then. Do you know where you will be staying or have you arranged flights etc. U havent started looking yet

Regards

Linus

trevor

Message Posted:
08/06/2008 22:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 26 in Discussion

Hi Linus, i will be over first 2 weeks in October, mine SHOULD be ready to use then. When you said it will be up and running i hope you meant your build. I have asked Julianna when the site will be completed only this week and she said it will be 18-24 months down the line. I will be contacting Yigor again this week to see if they have started the interior yet as i have all the furniture, blinds etc to get in.

Linus

Message Posted:
08/06/2008 23:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 26 in Discussion

Trevor

Who are you using for your furniture? I have not started looking yet. Are you fitting external roller blinds/shutters or just internal ones

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 08:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 26 in Discussion

What you have to remember is Dec - Feb is winter and just like UK can vary year to year.

Both Christmas and New the last 2 years have been fine, wandering around Girne at midnight is brilliant.

Unfortuanatley the last 3 Jan/Feb have been exceptionally dry when it should be the season when it rains a lot. Shown by the dry resevoirs in March.

So if you are coming for holiday then as the saying goes - you pays your money, you take your choice. Hopefully next winter it rains every day cos we are absolutley desperate for water.

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 09:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 26 in Discussion

cyprusishome

thats an informative post - dry dry dry, remember when Feb and Mar were months of pure downpours? We need it to be cold and damp and wet! Depends also where your house is located - up in the mountain areas it gets bloomin cold at night - a wood burning stove with vents to other main rooms is the best thing ever - these open fireplaces just stuck in the corner of a living room are just useless. If anyone wants any info on Austrian woodburning stoves (some of them are huge!) and the company in Lefkosa that import and install then let me know!

trevor

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 18:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 26 in Discussion

Hi Linus, we have used Homefront for our furniture, they have been very accomadating for us, we bought a package from them and then exchanged some of the things in the package we did not want for alternatives, they were very helpful with very quick responses to our questions. We have only ordered internal blinds at this moment, we got them from Stylewise (stylewise@yahoo.com ), we called in the shop when we visited as at this time they do not have a website and chose the blinds, we also have ordered our towels and bedding from them. They are on the right hand side of the road travelling from CV to Girne, hope this helps. What number is the property your in ours is K5 188 and i am available for anyone to buy me a Efes.

saucyboy69

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 19:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 26 in Discussion

Hi Linus,

We used Tarim Furniture http://www.tarimfurniture.com/ i had mine delivered while i was over at the weekend they gave me great service and the prices were great... we ordered last August as the apartment was nearly ready and it was delayed (suprise suprise) so they stored the furniture for me and i had only paid 20% deposit. when i had prices from homefront that the estate agent reccomended they were 30% more expensive for the same package..

Pete,

Layla is the contact,, i have no connection with them i just thought they were great..

joandjelly

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 19:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 26 in Discussion

Wise advice Hot Hornet. We ripped our fireplace out in January (bit silly I know but we were desperate for some heat) and installed a 15kw wood burner. Absolutely brilliant and we can now leave the doors open in the living room and heat the rest of the house. We also had our chimney raised up because due to the design of our roof we weren't getting much draw.

If anyone is still at the initial stages of build I would strongly recommend you install a wood burner instead of a fireplace. Most Cypriots I know say the fireplaces built in houses nowadays are only for show not for heat!

ilovemydogs

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 20:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 26 in Discussion

we have nothing.

how much would a decent quote be for central heating for a 3 bed apartment.

a wood burner would be a no no, we have no chimney.

Nglbarnes

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 22:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 26 in Discussion

We were out in the middle of February and froze our bits off. On arrival we were informed it was cold and was offered the use of a calor gas heater, but being true brits we thought it couldnt be that bad so declined. What a mistake, Her indoors ended up in bed in a dressing down, tracky bottoms jumper, gloves. Will definitely acquire a couple of calor gas heaters for next Feb.

At the end of October, beginning of November it was lovely and warm and the nights were not that chilly either.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 26 in Discussion

Would ask the question, if we all installed wood burners where will we get the wood from next year?

You will have noticed that the country is not over endowed with sustainable forest!!!!!!!!!!!! A lot of wood last year was from the clearance for the new by pass.

2 years ago we bought wood at about 130 per ton. Have mainly used gas since as it works at a fraction of that cost for the same output that suits our needs.

I think a lot of people need to reassess their requirments for heating and sit down with a calculator and some common sense before laying out more money.

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 09:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 26 in Discussion

cyprusishome

that is true to a point, but there is plenty still around, and depends on who you know. Most of these woodstoves can easily be converted for other types of fuels, such as coal but etc, as is the one my parents have.

ilovemy dogs

quotes used to be around £1500, but that varies I guess, and was a while ago.

sylvie

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 09:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 26 in Discussion

we use reversible air condition -

pambonn

Message Posted:
28/08/2009 15:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 26 in Discussion

Hi

Could you tell me where you purchased your wood burner? The one's are builder has shown us are not very nice. Do you have a link or address or something?

Thanks for your time

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
28/08/2009 18:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 26 in Discussion

For the past 5 years we have stayed at the Pia Bella for 4 weeks over Christmas & New Year, the weather has been usually fine during the day but does get cold in the evening,last Jan we did have more rain than usual but didn't really bother us as in the evening we tend to stay in the Hotel after our meal, the Lounge bar is very cosy and has a big log fire burning with settees around for guests, the same people tend to go back each year so it is like a reunion with friends we have met there, a lovely atmosphere, the rooms are nice and have heating, There is evening entertainment on Saturday and Christmas & New Year.

clayton

Message Posted:
28/08/2009 23:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 26 in Discussion

stayed in the pia bella over christmas for 7 days last year never stopped raining apart from christmas day.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
29/08/2009 00:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 26 in Discussion

Hasn't put us off booked again for this year.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.