North Cyprus Tourist Board - Border crossing with hired car from south to north
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Border crossing with hired car from south to north

Border crossing with hired car from south to north

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

Serkan

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 10:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Planing to fly to cyprus(larnaca) with easyjet hire a car at larnaca airport then cross to north,as far as I know there is no problem with doing so, do you have advice or had similar experience? thanks

sporty

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Hi Serkan,get picked up from Larnaca and driven up to the north,usually about 25quid each way,via AONE rentacar,car hire is cheaper and no insurance to pay at border,i would only hire a car in the south if you will be going back and forth over the border whilst there.If your staying in the north itll be a lot cheaper!!

email Ismail on-aone.rentacar@yahoo.com or 00905428523006.

Oleander

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 11:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

If you do hire in the South, Check that the car rental company will allow you to take the car North.

Jo Valentine

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Hi Serkan

I'm with Sporty, book with a North hire company and get the £25 taxi. I generally use http://www.sunrentacar.com/ They are on that big roundabout in Lefkosa.

If you are wanting to go on trips back to the South, Fontana (look at the banner at the top) are very good.

Enjoy!

Jo Valentine

Serkan

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 15:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

I've just checked website https://cars.easyjet.com/footer/smallprint/countryinfo/?lang=gb

here is the result.

Restriction Of Use: Driving into certain countries is not available. Driving into the North part of Cyprus is not allowed and no insurance cover is provided

it is a shame because going with family kids and car seats to think about.

thanks for all your advice will stick to sporty and jo valentine's advice.

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 17:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Serkan, its no problem. On my last visit – last week – I used a car I picked-up from Larnaca. It was a breeze !

I booked direct with info@yourway-carhire.com. They arranged for me to pick-up a car from the Petsas car hire desk at the airport very late at night. I also arranged an insurance certificate on collection too. (Fully com with 300 euro XS). This was in total much cheaper than having a taxi both ways to the north and then hiring locally. It also gave me more flexibility and no worries about insurance late at night at the crossing. I have crossed south on several occasions over 2 different crossings with no problems. So just get on and do it !

Clarissa

stickle

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 18:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Is mail @ a one has supplied child seats for us in the past.

the butler

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 18:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Serkan,

If you hire a car in the south and drive over to the north and the car breaks down who is going to help you? What if you have an accident, god forbid, who will help you? Not the car hire company, you will be on your own.

The butler

Lemtich

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 20:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

I have hired twice now with economy car rentals from Larnaca each time for a month, drove all over Cyprus including multiple trips to Larnaca from Alsancak to pick up kids coming out on holiday. No problems, 3rd party insurance at the border about £30.

Also if you get a quote for a North Cyprus to Larnaca pickup for £25, grab it! The last time my ex missus did it, it was £50 each way and that was with a company she was hiring a car from, a little BIRD told me.

Lem

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 21:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

RE Msg 8

To continue the trail of thoughts : don't go on holiday : don't hire cars : don't do anything, as something bad might happen to you.

RE Msg 9.

And there speaks the voice of reason, Serkan.

Clarissa

PS. been quoted £45 each way for taxi by a northern hire company

elkiton

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 22:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Serkan, if you should hire in the South, which I would not advise, ask the hirer what will happen in the event of an accident, ie who will recover the car, what costs will you have to meet re towing and repairs plus lost opportunity costs.When I asked these questions I was informed that my credit card would be debited all costs until the insurer paid up, and if a TRNC reg vehicle was involved it would be a long time, if ever that my charges would be refunded.

On a now defunct forum, there was a story first hand from a driver who had an accident, the costs were an immediate £3,500, the limit of their credit card. Whilst accidents are relatively rare, they do happen. It's not the number of times you can get away with it safely, it's the one time you don't that really matters.

TonyE

Oleander

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 02:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

They won't stop you at the border from taking your RoC hire car over - they will happily sell you the 3rd party insurance and let you through.

What happens if you have an accident in an RoC hire car whilst in the North is another matter entirely and you should find out from the Hire Co. whether they allow you to take it over and what will happen in the event of a problem if they do.

Some 4 or 5 yrs ago there was a hire car co. in the Tourist Area of Limassol who allowed you to take their cars over. Don't know if any still do.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 02:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

We've hired cars from Larnaca in the past - Budget. Found them to be very good indeed and reliable. Only trouble was, found myself panicking for the following 3 weeks in case something went wrong with it or we were involved in an accident. Can be useful, as, like Lem, we picked up our son from Larnaca on one of the occasions. For peace of mind, I would say swallow the cab fare between Larnaca/Girne and hire in the north. Why not do as we did - hire a car from Ercan (hire firms will deliver) and drop it off there on return journey. I do appreciate that this is not for everyone, as it is often much cheaper to fly into Larnaca for a lot of people, rather than Ercan.

sporty

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 10:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

my point earlier,if you have a car hire from aone they only charge 50quid from larnaca and back again when you leave,25 each way,if you hire in the south you pay 30euros just for an insurance at the border that really doesnt even cover you!!Thats if you can find the borders easily too!!took me an hour buggering around in Nicosia first time i went.Your car hire will be cheaper than one in the south so even being picked up etc will work out cheaper over all,on top of that its really nice being driven for an hour or so after a 4 hour flight anyway,plus i personally wont spend any of my money in the south,i'd rather support the north.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.