North Cyprus Tourist Board - Electricians Help Needed
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Electricians Help Needed

Electricians Help Needed

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Electricity in North Cyprus and KIBTEK Related Threads posted so far

suntanman

Message Posted:
02/06/2008 14:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

I have just purchased a couple of wall light fittings in UK to take to my apt in TRNC, but am confused at the installation instructions.

It states ' Do not wire this light into the lighting circuit- use a switched fused spur' if in doubt, contact a qualified electrician.

Can anyone help?

The light fittings can be used outdoors, but I want them for indoors.

ilovemydogs

Message Posted:
02/06/2008 15:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

sure my husband trevor will answer this one when he gets home from work

elko2

Message Posted:
02/06/2008 16:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

Suntanman,

Wiring for lights is done in "Rings" i.e. starts from a fuse and gets back to the starting point. Each ring is protected with a 5 or 6 ampere fuse and you are supposed to have a maximum of same light fittings in a ring.

Presumably the light fitting you have draws substantial current and thus not suitable to wire into a standard light fitting.

The Sockets in the houses are also wired in rings in the same fashion as above but each ring is protected with a 30 or 32 Ampere fuse i.e. they are capable of suppling higher currents such as electric fires. A "spur" is a wiring taken from any point in one of the rings i.e. from any socket point. The minimum wire cross section must be 2.5 square millimeters and the current must not excee 13 amper i.e. 3 Kws.

I hope this helps.

ismet

PS: if you wish to have a chit chat on the subject you can usually find me on Skype, my name there is "ismet.ustuner"

trevor

Message Posted:
02/06/2008 19:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

How do, what elko says is very accurate, must have had the 17th edition for breakfast. Have you got a POW camp in your garden, they are very powerful if they need to go onto a ring main, simpler explanation is run a flat 2.5mm twin and earth from the nearest socket to where you want to put the fitting and mount fuse spur and wire as instructions, (you will probably need one with a flex outlet). Turn off the MCB that feeds the socket and connect in wire color for wire color. Make sure the flex from the fitting go in the 3 terminals marked LOAD and the cable from the socket to the fuse spur go in the 3 marked SUPPLY. Again the lamps seem very big if they are 100watt they will use as much electricity as one bar on a electric fire. Also remember an old adage

RED TO RED

BLACK TO BLACK

BLEW TO BITS

Only joking, oh and don,t forget to turn the power on. I take it they are the security type fittings with a PIR, if not you will need a switch fuse spur or if its a large wattage a 20amp double pole switch. Good luck

trevor

Message Posted:
02/06/2008 19:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

How do, what elko says is very accurate, must have had the 17th edition for breakfast. Have you got a POW camp in your garden, they are very powerful if they need to go onto a ring main, simpler explanation is run a flat 2.5mm twin and earth from the nearest socket to where you want to put the fitting and mount fuse spur and wire as instructions, (you will probably need one with a flex outlet). Turn off the MCB that feeds the socket and connect in wire color for wire color. Make sure the flex from the fitting go in the 3 terminals marked LOAD and the cable from the socket to the fuse spur go in the 3 marked SUPPLY. Again the lamps seem very big if they are 1000 watt they will use as much electricity as one bar on an electric fire. Also remember an old adage

RED TO RED

BLACK TO BLACK

BLEW TO BITS

Only joking, oh and don,t forget to turn the power on. I take it they are the security type fittings with a PIR, if not you will need a switch fuse spur or if its a large wattage a 20amp double pole switch. Good luck

Nunu1

Message Posted:
02/06/2008 19:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

Suntanman Elko2 and Trevor know what their talking about. Basically those light fittings need to have their own seperate fused supply from a power circuit rather than lighting circuit.

I WOULD strongly suggest you leave it to a qualified Electrician to carry out installation. Unfortunately I wont be over there until July/August.

Dont take chances mate.....NOT with electricity...You dont get a 2nd chance if you *uck it up!

Regards...Nunu1

suntanman

Message Posted:
02/06/2008 21:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Thank you all very much for the information.

It all seems a little beyond my capabilities, I know how to change a plug, and have fitted all my own light fittings at home without any problems, but I think I'll take them back to the store and get a refund, it all sound a bit too much for me.

Thanks again.

Anyone know a good electrical retailer in TRNC where I can buy decent wall light fittings?

Nunu1

Message Posted:
02/06/2008 23:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Suntanman, There is the big lighting shop ElektroKur in Girne just on the roundabout road going to Lefkosa....Your cannot miss it! Very good shop very big lots of choice! Yellow Pages N Cyprus will give you full address details on the net.

Good luck!

Nunu1

breezyboy

Message Posted:
03/06/2008 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Crikey Andrew, all very technical and comlpicated for me. I'll stick to candles cos Nevergreens electricity supply will not work more than 2 x 60watts!! lol

Erwin

suntanman

Message Posted:
03/06/2008 13:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

I'm trying to find the receipt as we speak, yes it sounded very technical to me too.

Two things I don't mess with are electrics and water, leave it to the experts.

Erwin, hope you are well.

Andrew

elko2

Message Posted:
03/06/2008 14:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Andrew,

Its not complicted at all. Let us make it even easier for you. You simply put a three pin plug at the end of the socket and plug it into any socket. As simple as that. For those who re not sure about wiring a plug the correct way, here is a simple instruction: The cable has three wires, Live, Neutral and Earh, their colours being Brown, Blue and Green/Yellow.

The Green/Yellow wire goes to the bigger pin which is earth.

bRown goes to Right

bLue goes to Left

See, its so simple, don't give up. Once you finish wiring and you switch in on, touch the metal parts with the BACK of your hand. If you got it all wrong, you will get a shock and your hand will close thus getting away from the metal. What is worse, you will get a right telling of from the missus :(

ismet

suntanman

Message Posted:
03/06/2008 15:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Thanks Ismet.

Too late, I've just got my money back!

Thanks for the offer of a chat on Skype, but I haven't got that facility.

Andrew

suntanman

Message Posted:
23/07/2008 22:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Guys

I've got some new light fittings, read the fitting instructions which are straightforward, only one silly question.

Is the wiring in TRNC the same colour as UK?

brown, blue,green/yellow.

Thought I would ask before I blow up my apartment!

brian24001

Message Posted:
24/07/2008 09:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

brown can be red

blue can be black

green/yellow can be green, or in many cases in NC, the bare unsleeved wire.

suntanman

Message Posted:
24/07/2008 21:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Thanks Brian,

That sounds like the wiring in my house.

If anyone hears a big bang around 23 Aug in the Bahceli area, its only me!

spook

Message Posted:
24/07/2008 22:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Might be a good idea to buy a couple of metres of "earth sleeving" from your local electrical shop, most 3 core cables now come with a bare earth wire, you need to thread a sort length of sleeving over the area you expose before making your connection

brian24001

Message Posted:
25/07/2008 10:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Suntanman,

Also use a mains tester when fitting anything and just check that it is the live wire that is switched, I have seen cases where the neutral is connected through the switch, so if you turn off, you think all is dead, but the live at the fitting is still just that, live.

stevo

Message Posted:
26/07/2008 06:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

HISuntanman

If suply comes from lighting cct o/k if ring mains reduce to 5amp can you chase out the wall ? if not put a plug into nearest socket with a 5 amp fuse

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.