North Cyprus Tourist Board - Problem with Pigeons: An insight into TRNC Racism and Xenophobia era
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Problem with Pigeons: An insight into TRNC Racism and Xenophobia era

Problem with Pigeons: An insight into TRNC Racism and Xenophobia era

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Aslan

Message Posted:
11/01/2010 20:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

It's quite an interesting read, my question is, are EU citizens experiencing any of these elements while in the TRNC?

http://www.prio.no/upload/6_M_HATAY.pdf

BoTanica

Message Posted:
11/01/2010 23:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Personaly, I have something to say about " Kemalism of Turkish-Cypriot modernisation" Mustafa Kemal Atatürk was a very "modern man" giving the vote to women before they even asked! Women in England died for the cause and were granted the vote years after Turkish women were!! Yes there is racism here - the have gots and the have nots - but how is it different to anywhere else? The labour layer supports and works for the management layer whether immigrants or not. I dont really understand your point?

Aslan

Message Posted:
12/01/2010 11:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

I was not making a point, I was researching the TRNC's attitude towards migrants whether Turkish or EU citizens and TRNC governments policies towards foreign workers. Many migrants when arriving in a host nation be it the EU or the TRNC bring with them innovative ideas, entrepreneurism and skills, I am merely looking at how TRNC citizens (vatandash) and the democratically elected governments perceptions of foreign migrants (yabanci).

The questions I am looking at are do the TRNC citizens and government accept the migrants role in it's society and if so at what lengths do they go to make it easy for migrants to enter into employment or a competitive business venture. If a foreigner has an innovative idea that would help the TRNC economy who should they speak to, what guarantees are there that the idea would not be compromised (stolen)?

elko2

Message Posted:
12/01/2010 11:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Aslan,

If they can steal it, they will for certain. Therefore, if you have an innovative idea you should keep it close to your heart and if anybody says that you must reveal all before this and that, don't trust anybody.

Many years ago I helped a friend manufacture "Smarties" under license. He wanted to export them to Turkey and he could do so with zero customs duty but the prerequisite was to declare all the processing involved. I advised him against it but he decided to take a chance because Turkey was such a big market compared to north Cyprus. Within three months another firm in Turkey began marketting similar products under another brand name and also supplied the north Cyprus market. So my friend was out of this particular product. It did not feel good to tell him "I told you so".

ismet

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
12/01/2010 11:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Ismet, your friend should have listened to you. I suppose he thought he was a 'smart ass' )

elko2

Message Posted:
12/01/2010 11:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Bill,

Under the circumstances I would have said he was an "Smarties ass"

ismet

Aslan

Message Posted:
12/01/2010 13:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Thank you Ismet, I can't imagine the signing of a confidentiality agreement would be recognised in our fine judicial system!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.