North Cyprus Tourist Board - Armenians, Just as Bulgarians, Should Demand Compensation from Turkey
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Armenians, Just as Bulgarians, Should Demand Compensation from Turkey

Armenians, Just as Bulgarians, Should Demand Compensation from Turkey

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
12/01/2010 15:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Bojidar Dimitrov, Bulgaria’s Minister in charge of the Agency for Bulgarians Abroad, stirred a hornet’s nest at the start of the new year by threatening to block Turkey’s accession to the European Union (EU), unless it paid billions of dollars in compensation for Bulgarians who were forcefully displaced during the Ottoman era. Dimitrov said Turkey owed Bulgaria $20 billion for expelling hundreds of thousands of ethnic Bulgarians in 1913.'

Rest of the story here:

http://www.panorama.am/en/politics/2010/01/12/californiacourier/

How far back in time should any country go to seek restitution?

AJ

Mr Vince

Message Posted:
12/01/2010 16:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Did Tony Blair not appologise for slavery?

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
12/01/2010 16:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Mr Vince

But did he compensate anyone?

PeeCee

Message Posted:
12/01/2010 16:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

If I ruled the world of Turkey I would say pxxx off to the lot of "yous". Seriously, you would need all this agro like a hole in the head. Turkey is a growing power whose 21st century economic and strategic influence is rising rapidly. The EU, by taking in all these old ex communist bloc countries, has swept up the centuries old politics of 19th and early 20 centuries. Turkey doesn't need it and frankly neither does the UK.

sporty

Message Posted:
12/01/2010 16:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Turkey is going to get fed up with this sort of treatment soon by other countries and shut up shop to them,i for one wouldnt blame them if they did,i cant remember where i read it or it may have been on tv,but before world war 1,Hungarys land ownership was something like 40%(cant remember true figure)larger than it is today,the extra land that was taken from them was divided up by other countries on various treaties that was done after the war,will Hungary be the next to start claiming from others too?Bulgaria had a lot of turks that were displaced and had to return to turkey too,if i remember correctly it was a lot more than the bulgarians that moved from turkey so this sort of thing is unwise and will only pour more fuel on the fire imho.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
12/01/2010 17:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

There's a difference between restitution and compensation. When a court orders restitution it orders the defendant to give up his gains to the claimant. When a court orders compensation it orders the defendant to compensate the claimant for his loss.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
12/01/2010 17:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Sorry

I should have stated restitution and/or reparation.

AJ

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
12/01/2010 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Bill

But the interesting thing is as far as I know is that it has not gone to 'court' and it appears to me as nothing more than a blackmail attempt.

Don't you just love these Eastern European countries.

AJ

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
12/01/2010 17:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

"Don't you just love these Eastern European countries"

Dave, I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I may incriminate myself. ))

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.