North Cyprus Tourist Board - New electric meters to be installed
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > New electric meters to be installed

New electric meters to be installed

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Electricity in North Cyprus and KIBTEK Related Threads posted so far

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
14/01/2010 13:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

'A new project on the reading of electric meters will get underway in the TRNC in the New Year.

The project, which is being carried out by the Cyprus Turkish Electricity Authority (KIBTEK) and funded by the European Union, will make it possible to read electric meters remotely.

The protocol envisaging the implementation of the project was signed at the Ministry of Economy and Energy yesterday.

Speaking before the signing ceremony, the Minister of Economy and Energy Sunat Atun announced that 20,880 smart electricity meters have already been imported and 120,000 more will arrive in the TRNC in the coming days.

The remote reading of electric meters will be available via a communication structure developed by the Kuzey Kibris Turkcell and all the data received will be forwarded to the KIBTEK centre.

By the end of 2010, 21,000 electric meters will be managed with the new system.'

Well if nothing else it will be easier to lock your meter box to stop fuse theft.

Courtesy of http://www.topix.com/forum/world/cyprus/TTA6QENKJOSA3Q5UK

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
14/01/2010 14:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

AJ,

I hope they do better at this than the new water meters that were going to be fitted to the whole of the TRNC by the end of this year. These were the ones that you had to pay for your water before you got it!

I totally agree with your last statement as we too have suffered with the theft of the fuse before now.

measey

Message Posted:
14/01/2010 14:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

BLIMEY AJ, YOUR BACK thought you were on 2 week break. electric meters seems a step in the right direction good imformation, Thanks for that.

Keith.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
14/01/2010 14:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Keith

Where did you get this idea that I was on a two week break from?

measey

Message Posted:
14/01/2010 15:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

AJ. Told in Confidence, nice to see you back old boy.

Keith.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
14/01/2010 15:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Keith

' AJ. Told in Confidence'

Well I would re-appraise the reliability and quality of your information sources if I was you.

measey

Message Posted:
14/01/2010 15:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

AJ. Point taken wont trust him again sorry for that.

Keith

millzer

Message Posted:
14/01/2010 15:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Yep this is a great idea whcih should save Kibtec a fortune seeing as over there it seems to take two staff to read a meter, one to open the box and the other to read the meter!!! Lets hope they pass on the staff savings in the form of lower leccy costs...... somehow, I don't think so.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
14/01/2010 15:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

scooby

Re your message 2.

I thought the water meter change-out was at the discretion of the local Belideye's and Lapta were going to implement it but Alsancak was not. I may be wrong but if the electric meter change-out is being funded by the EU then it will happen across the TRNC.

AJ

joandjelly

Message Posted:
14/01/2010 19:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

How will bills be delivered? At the moment the meter is read and the bill printed there and then. If the meter is read remotely they will still have to issue a bill, won't they?? So how will this save them money?

Hippo

Message Posted:
14/01/2010 19:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Wonderful -now the meter readers can stay at home receive salary and collect their pension.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
14/01/2010 19:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Hipps

I think that the system will be similar to that used in the UK. i.e. they will still need to be local to your property to take readings but they will not need direct access to your meter.

zerochlor

Message Posted:
14/01/2010 19:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

message 10

they are saying youll get a txt message or be able to read your bill online

there is still folk out there who do not have access to the internet and who really do not use cell phones.

maybe the minority will get a bill?

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
14/01/2010 20:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

AJ re msg 9...

you may well be correct in your thinking, all I know is that whilst living in Bellapais they thought that these new meters would be great and they would test trial them but what they did not say that once installed these meters would cost each house hold in the region on 400 TL (this was a few years ago and the price may well be more by now) and you soon found out when you went to pay the next water bill. However, there were no end of problems ie running out of water and the Muhtars office not being open to buy more, local 'tap off' areas where work men seemed to think it ok to use your water, the fact that the water was in fact more expensive to buy through this system but the main thing was that it was being test trialed originally in Bellapais and Lefkosa with view of everyone having one by the end of 2010 throughout the TRNC however, typical TRNC, this did not come to fruition so I was just being cynical, so for that I apologise

henrik

Message Posted:
14/01/2010 20:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

the other nice thing about this new meters is that they are able to rotate backwards and crediting you "energy" which you obtain through renewable energy sources. At the moment the TRNC based renewable energy companies are waiting for the "feed in tarifs" and possible subsidise of KibTek. The law is on the table and its just a matter of time when it will all start..

Assuming you have a great sunny day and your renewable energy generator produces more than you consume, then your meter will spin backwards, so you can use free energy at night or get a credit for uture use.. In offices this will be also very suitable as there is mostly daytime usage and at night offices are mostly not occupied. So if you produce more than you spend KıbTek may even pay you a fee for the energy which you "feed" into the grid. KıbTek and the TRNC GOV. are also thinking to subsidize the renewable energy generators.. Lets see what happens.. For the technical and best hardware you may visit: http://www.kibs

henrik

Message Posted:
14/01/2010 20:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

www.kibsolar.com it should read above

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.