North Cyprus Tourist Board - Famagusta and the British
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Famagusta and the British

Famagusta and the British

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Famagusta town North Cyprus

samdavies

Message Posted:
02/06/2008 21:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Good Evening All,

I was just reading on the Famagusta Municipality website that there are (according to a cenus) 126 British people resident in the town.

I sometimes venture into Famagusta, but rarely see Brits. Are there any British meeting places or focal points for Britis in the town?

Cheers

Sam

wish2rent

Message Posted:
02/06/2008 21:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Hi Sam,

Famagusta Munincipality is huge and I imagine that there are more than 200 members of this forum that reside within the boundaries as permanent residents. The actual town centre may have 126 British residents who are either lecturers at the university or investors who had to register in the census.

If you really want to meet the creme de la creme of British residents you will need to travel N/E towards the beautiful village of Bogaz, I hear there is a great restaurant called moon something or other you cant miss it it will be on your right hand side after the Iskele turning, I am sure SIMBAS (a well known forum member) can help better.

elko2

Message Posted:
02/06/2008 22:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

When travelling abroad I am British because I carry a British passport but otherwise I am a Cypriot

Whenever I go to HSBC bank I often see Brits there but despite my picture on this and the other forum nobody has recognized me so far :(

"Moon Over the Water" is run by a nice Irishman and I believe it is frequented by Brits.

ismet

phylray

Message Posted:
03/06/2008 01:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

I remember going to a place with that name in 2000 when working in M'gusa

There was a Brit. couple running it then & we used to catamaran nearby

We also bought locally made cotton cheesecloth clothes there.

dalartokat

Message Posted:
03/06/2008 01:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Sean and Sue(think thats her name) are the people running "Moon over the Water" yes they were there in 2000.

Busy Bees Bogaz

Message Posted:
03/06/2008 07:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

I have lived in the Bogaz area for over five years, and can personally recommend the moon over the water, especially their home made pies. Friday is fish and chip day! There are also some lovely restaurants in Bogaz itself, and the Buffet run by Hasan is very popular next to the harbour.

If you want to venture further up the Karpaz, there are some more wonderful restaurants, The Vine in Yeni Erenkoy, Decks a little further on and also the Balce Plaza, which is excellent. There are many English living in Bogaz and the Karpaz, but it is a lot quieter than the Kyrenia area.

ukturk

Message Posted:
03/06/2008 10:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

hi guys

belive you me famagusta is full of brits maybe not the royal britania type like in girne lol but many turks who have lived most of their lives in blighty and now have come back to cyprus just take a look at villiages like yenibogaz ici and iskele both my families villiages, you have got tuzla where there is the bowling alley where you can see a lot of expats there is also the go kart track, in the town centre ive seen a lot of expats in the rusty pelican resturant and like bbb has said there are a lot of expats living in the bogaz and karpaz are very up and coming areas and must say i prefer these areas to the girne side even thou i love the girne side before anyone has a go!!!! lol

even thou i have never been i have heard very good things about the moon under water

ahh ismet dont be sad mate that you have not been reconised i would be thankfull otherwise you will get stopped in the street people asking you for advice, that why im dreading when im over next in case i get chased by autograph hunters!!!!! lol

warm regards to all

ukturk

mairs

Message Posted:
16/07/2008 09:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Yes, next time I am over I'd love to meet some of you. Hope we can be in touch.

pilgrim

Message Posted:
16/07/2008 10:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Monks Inn, Palm Beach, Moon over the Water, Bogaz Bufe, Hilltop,etc. Loads of us in area.

mairs

Message Posted:
17/07/2008 10:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Hi again all

I'm drooling, reading about these places most of which I know and can recommend too. But I have yet to sample Moon Over the Water! I am dreaming of this so hopefully September will be the reality, if only for a short visit. Is it searing hot? Hope you're all enjoying it! I've been reading about the new stamp duty thing - I did it in March with the help of a Famagusta friend. Cheers

limony777

Message Posted:
19/09/2008 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Hi all, just had a lovely read of all your messages! Yes Palm beach in particular is full of brits, town centre has lots too as everytime im there i meet loads. Havent been to moon over the water yet but i've heard great things and was quite happily surprised to hear the owner is an irishman?! Is that true or a guess? Irish being very close to my heart, well half as im half turkish half irish hehhe, would love to hear of any one elses 'hot spots' around the famagusta/bogaz area. And yes i'de like to second the 'lots of brits in iskele, yeni bogazici'.

Take care :O)

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
19/09/2008 20:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

lemi

why do you laugh at being half turkish half irish ,its a great combination ,all my boys are lovely ,a little short tempered maybe ,but between you and me i the blame irish bloodline lol

musin

limony777

Message Posted:
19/09/2008 21:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

laughing at the fact that its lovely to be honest, nice to be different hehe so your boys are half and half like me then? very interesting because my mother blames my turkish blood and my father blames the irish lol. I was born and raised in London, half irish, half turkish, living in NC and working in turkey so you might say im a united nations all in myself loll

newscoop

Message Posted:
20/09/2008 00:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Sorry to rain on the Irish parade but Sean is as near as damn it, a geordie!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.