North Cyprus Tourist Board - Double standards on property in the South?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Double standards on property in the South?

Double standards on property in the South?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Property Development Reviews

» Property Buying Guide to North Cyprus

vincehugo

Message Posted:
28/01/2010 15:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

I came across this article, originally from the Cyprus Mail in 2006

http://www.trncinfo.com/TANITMADAIRESI/2002/ENGLISH/ARTICALSandCOMMENTS/AC91.htm

"WE HAVE been shouting and protesting for 30 years because the Turkish Cypriots have been building on our property. But the legitimate government (of Cyprus) gave us money to build houses on the properties of the Turkish Cypriots. And at the time they lied to us, telling us that they had given us state land. This was what was written on the documents we signed."

"In the same report, a woman, who was visibly angry, said: "We were fooled. They brought us here, gave us land belonging to the Turkish Cypriots and, through a life of hard toil, we built our houses on it, married, brought up our children and now they are telling us to leave and that they will give us a plot somewhere else."

If this is true then it seems to make the posturing of the GC's over exchange land a little hypocritical, to sya the least.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
28/01/2010 15:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

I haven't seen that article before!

vincehugo

Message Posted:
28/01/2010 15:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

I do wonder if the GC Government make an ever so subtle distinction between TC houses and TC land. As in the TC houses are all there waiting to be reinstated but return of TC-owned land may not be quite so easy!

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
28/01/2010 16:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

vincehugo

With regards to TC ownership of property/land in the South there is concrete evidence to show that land/property title deeds that were originally shown as TC ownership have been falsified to show GC ownership. The whole thing stinks and unless there is a level playing field when it comes to land/property ownership then the whole situation will continue as a total complicated mess.

AJ

vincehugo

Message Posted:
28/01/2010 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Hi AJ,

I was always a bit intrigued with articles which talk about GC refugees being given "Government Land". Maybe this is land that the GC government decided a TC wouldn't want anymore!

Is this concrete evidence you mention available/documented?

Vince

vincehugo

Message Posted:
28/01/2010 16:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

I also discovered recently that there is a law in TRNC to prevent TC's reclaiming their land in the south once they have agreed to "exchange" it. It is viewed as fraud and the fine is up to 10 years in prison.

This would certainly resolve the concerns expressed by GC's about "double dipping" ie. selling TRNC land awarded to you on to others and then going back to reclaim your plot in the South. However it would also mean that much of the land in the South supposedly waiting to be handed back to TC's is not going to get claimed. Presumably the ownership of this land currently resides with the TRNC Government!

Like the Orams situation this is another example where the different legal systems of the North and South make legal resolution of property claims impossible. So back to the IPC and/or a political solution!

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 18:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Surely the TC will not be able to claim the land in the south given that he would have given the deeds over to the trnc government - who presumably now own the land in the south.

girne 29

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 18:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

vince message 6

Thanks for confirming what we thought but were being told otherwise by some schadenfreude merchants.

vincehugo

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 18:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Re Msg 8.

No problem - but I should stress that it is only my understanding of the position. Yorgozlu seems to have some different views on this but I'm b***ered if I can understand what they are!

Oleander

Message Posted:
30/01/2010 01:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

AlsancackJack - do you have any links to this 'concrete evidence'?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.