North Cyprus Tourist Board - Truth or Propaganda!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Truth or Propaganda!

Truth or Propaganda!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

Brookie

Message Posted:
04/06/2008 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Came back from TRNC two weeks ago having looked at lots of lovely villas and apartments - had lots of brochures and leaflets about dream homes packed in the suitcase. We arrived via Larnaca as have friends on the other side and so we flew back via Larnaca too. I have very close contacts with Turkish Cypriots as my ex-husband is from Lefkosa and when I was talking to one of my friends here he said that if I had been caught by the authorities on the other side with these brochures on me, they would have slapped me in jail over night to teach me a lesson! Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction and if it is indeed fact surely people should know about this if they are travelling back via "the other side"!

Bradus

Message Posted:
04/06/2008 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Brookie,

Go to popular tags at bottom of page and click on border. This should give you an insight into some of the problems.

dalartokat

Message Posted:
04/06/2008 20:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Under North Cyprus guide - "Driving from Larnaca to Kyrenia" eg

Also, do NOT bring details on North Cyprus properties across the border from North to south, not even sales brochures. The Greek Cypriots border authorities may detain and question you, and you may miss your flight. If you have information you wish to keep, post it via an international courier from Nicosia before you cross the border. Read how other North Cyprus property buyers warn you about this on our discussion forums.

cruggs

Message Posted:
04/06/2008 20:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

hi brookie, we were told by our rep,not too take any documents through

greek customs on our flight back to the uk.this arises if you had any legal

documents, regarding the purchase of property in north cyprus.people have been stopped in the past and found to have title deeds of purchase of property

in n/c. we brought back brochures from various estate agents,but nothing of a

legal nature it was a chance we took if you have any legal documents i would

advise,that you post them back to your uk address or perhaps get them faxed

over.also dont take any duty free goods bought in n/c as these could be

confiscated at the border crossing.on your return

Brookie

Message Posted:
04/06/2008 20:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Thank you....but OMG I wish the estate agents had told us this! Still I guess they were not not know that we had arrived via Larnaca and not Ercan! Fortunately we didnt have a clue so didnt sweat about it! I will know better next time. woops

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
04/06/2008 22:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

If you had been found with a contract of any sort there is every probability that you would have spent several days in jail while they investigated if the land was originally GC.

I know it is only rumour but there have been a number of "stories" where people talked about there properties in the north on flights into Larnaca and were questioned at airport security. Obviously someone on flight had overheard and passed on detail.

There really are people on south side who detest the TC so much they will do anything to stop people not only visiting there but buying.

PtePike

Message Posted:
04/06/2008 23:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

The GC police would be failing in their duty if they didn't detain someone daft enough to carry evidence of buying GC property in the north. Let's be honest here!

ES

Brookie

Message Posted:
05/06/2008 01:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

In response to the last comment from PtePike - " buying GC property in the North" sorry but your comment shows a lack of understanding of the Island's history. Who says its GC property just because its on the North ??

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
05/06/2008 09:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

ES, no argument there!!!!

Brookie, I think you will find you may get a response you did not expect from Pt Pike. He has had a home here for many years.

PtePike

Message Posted:
05/06/2008 22:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Hi Brookie,

I don't want to get overly political here - especially at a time of confidence-building progress between the GCs and TCs. Suffice to say I haven't succumbed to favouring one side over another even though my property is in the north and most Cypriots I know are TC. Contrary to what you say I do have some understanding of the history - certainly enough to say there's too much history in Cyprus. As for your comments about who owns what in the north, it's clearly down to who holds the legal title.

ES

Aussie

Message Posted:
06/06/2008 01:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

I wouldn't risk carrying any TRNC brochures if I was you however any EU citizen is unlikley to be harrassed too much unless you actually have contracts, deeds etc. The GC prefer soft targets from non EU countries that can't use the EU legal system like the Russian women who got jailed for carrying property documents.

The same double standard applys for entering the South after coming in through Ercan etc and traveling south. If you are EU its completely ignored if not its a very big deal.

Aussie

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.