North Cyprus Tourist Board - Internet based business legalities please ?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Internet based business legalities please ?

Internet based business legalities please ?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

proger1

Message Posted:
31/01/2010 09:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

I am considering starting a small internet based business for my wife that will obviously be located here in Kyrenia.

If successful she may need to employ some local staff and that is where I am a bit fuzzy on the legalities.

I want to get this done all legal and above board if I am to suggest she go ahead with it.

Does anyone have any useful suggestions or the name of any profeessional advisors that may help with this?

Thanks, Paul

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
31/01/2010 13:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Paul,

See the advert at top of the page.

Even though you will be Internet based you still need to fulfill all your obligations of the country that the business is based in.

Good luck with setting up a business. It's not easy but keep going. A fluent Turkish speaker friend would also be an asset to you in your business dealings and dealing with beaurocracy.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
31/01/2010 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

"Even though you will be Internet based you still need to fulfill all your obligations of the country that the business is based in."

Couldn't it be said that an internet business is based in cyberspace, or even the UK if the web address is http://www.xyz.co.uk ?

malsancak

Message Posted:
31/01/2010 13:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Nope it's not in cyberspace, it's located on a host server which is located in a particular country. It's that country's laws you have to abide by as far as content is concerned.

petez

Message Posted:
31/01/2010 14:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Don't use a server based in Cyprus, very unreliable...

The best hosting companies are based in the US.

proger1

Message Posted:
31/01/2010 14:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

I am aware of the internet details, that is available online and I already have the server, I will probably go with the suggestion about going through a legal source but I was interested if anyone else had done something like this and how they went about it.

petez

Message Posted:
31/01/2010 14:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Depends on what you are doing, if you are selling goods you will have to adhere to the country you are based in's legal compliances for delivery and returns etc..

If it is in North Cyprus you will probably find there are none!

splinters24hr

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 00:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Hi,

I used to have my own site and it was hosted by Hostgator, http://www.hostgator.com/ great company based in the US very reliable cheap and easy to setup and use. From memory was about £5.00 a month for a huge amount of bandwidth.

You can register your domain name(company name ie splinters24hr) in the uk and still have the site hosted ie content served from the US.

Hope this helps

Dave

proger1

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 00:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Good to see somebody else who either can't or doesn't bother to read, I already have a server and an existing domain so if I go ahead it will be a sub domain of my existing server.

Now, I hope that gets across that I don't need information on the web side, I need info on legalities of a business in the North of Cyprus with regards to a web based business.

Just read that comment of mine again and realised it is a bit harsh but it is late and as much as I appreciate the suggestions I would really prefer if it was on the subject I have asked.

Too much vodka and too little sleep I suppose

splinters24hr

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 00:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Apologies,

Was trying to help but like you a little tired,

Dave

proger1

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 01:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

None nescessary Dave, I nearly jumped the gun and thought it was someone trying to advertise on the back of a genuine question but I had a second read and realised you were trying to give good advice, hence the re-write.

I have a very good server, twice the price you state but the security is high standard and with the way things work here I would rather not be hit with a ddos problem.

I have what I believe is a great idea web site wise but in order to make it viable it needs employees in Kyrenia, hence the question. I would rather not tie up a large amount of cash just to be able to employ a couple of people to see if this idea might work but in the same respect, I want to do things legally. Catch 22 again in NC.

It must be a good idea, I was trying to explain it to my daughter in the pub last night and there were 2 guys sitting at the next table nodding every time I said "I think it should work"

You never know, I might have already lost the momentum.

Mertbalin

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 02:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Paul,

If you want to be legal, first you have to set up a company.

In order to do so, if you are not a citizen like me, there are lots and lots of things to do, which makes you say i wish i didn`t.

An accountant would be necessary to do all the business. There are hunderts of bullshit accountants around. Try to pick a reliable one, ask for references, or find a one which is a member of "Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales" You have to transfer some amount of money to your company, and some amount should be kept for any tax problems you may have in the future. (goverment wants a letter from the bank)

I set up my company in 2006, it was more reasonable at that time, now most of the fees are x5.

then you should get an "is kurma" permit which means you can establish a company. Then you have to get work permit for your workers.

Mertbalin

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 02:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Every month you need to pay for social security, your accountant, VAT, taxes, etc. etc. Plus you need to renew lots of documents each year which costs a fortune.

As far as i know there is not much to ask for being internet based.

If you need any detailed info, dont hesitate to contact me. - mertbalin@gmail.com

petez

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 09:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Paul,

Will pass on your question to Naomi hope to see something on Lincguide by the end of the week..

Good luck with it!

HNComputers

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 10:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Paul....I recommend Sezinler & Co, tel: 0392 815 89 83/84 email: msezinler@hotmai.com -They're the best so far I've been dealing with business and the guy (Mahmut) speaks very good english too.

The accountant sorts out everything for you....gets all the documentation ready etc and also explains what is needed.

If you explain you are a friend of Huseyin Rizki he will help you out alot.

Social security is paid every 3months and you only have to renew your one document every year which is about 460TL...this is usually in October every year.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 14:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

proger1,

Will everything be carried out on-line? If so, you could be anywhere in the world. If payments are made on-line into a UK bank and delivery of the product isn't physically in TRNC, why would it need to be "registered" here? There is the example of people who advertise and rent out their TRNC villas on-line. It seems that as long as they pay their "rental tax" of 10%, they don't need a work permit or a registered business. Isn't there a parallel there?

Not knowing what your business is, I'm sure I'm over simplifying it, but perhaps you get my drift?

splinters24hr

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 02:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Paul,

Thought out of curiosity I would drop you a line and ask how things are going?

You mentioned earlier you would need people based in Kyrenia, does it have to be there as my wife will shortly be moving to Lapta and will have some time to spare.

regards

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.