North Cyprus Tourist Board - expert advice needed grafting orange trees/pruning grapes
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > expert advice needed grafting orange trees/pruning grapes

expert advice needed grafting orange trees/pruning grapes

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

mikelapta

Message Posted:
02/02/2010 12:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Gosh lovely morning in garden ,pruning,just in tee shirt top!!

Have got a few "sour"orange trees,would like to graft "sweet" oranges on them.

Anyone show me how,and where to get the grafts from.

Also got a grape frame,covered with grape branches and foilage.

Would again like advice,or preferrably shown how to prune.

Thanks

Mike

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
02/02/2010 17:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

too late for this year to prune the grape plant as it must have alredy started to produce leaves again.

Those citrus trees are called "TURUNC".....(tourunch) and are not edable,and you would deffinetly need someone that knows what they are doing.As for pruning them,I have chainsaw Mike,let me know and I'd come over and do it for you for a game of TAVLA.You might be able to teach me a trick or 2.

mikelapta

Message Posted:
02/02/2010 17:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Lost 5-4 today at Tavla....but it was my tutor.3x double sixes to finish...jammy bas***d.

Take you on anytime,Matey!!!!

Mike

skybluesam

Message Posted:
02/02/2010 18:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Mike, I confess to not being an expert, but I have been pruning a large grapevine of a neighbour of mine today, this is the 3rd year of me pruning this vine and to my surprise it has not done it any harm, to the contrary it seems to be thriving!.

I generally cut it back quite hard leaving 2 buds on most branches as as you know they can get quite rampant, The important thing with vines is spraying at the right time and I am sure your local garden centre can give you advice on this.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Nick

crofter

Message Posted:
02/02/2010 19:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Nick....we are struggling with our grape vine. We noticed that you mention spraying the vine. What do you spray the vine with? Any info would be much appreciated. We have had only one good crop of grapes in 6 years.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
02/02/2010 20:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Our grapes are now coming up to 4 years old and we have had a fantastic crop for the last 2 years. Sorry cannot help with advice about pruning other than to say that it is quite complicated and depends on the variety. I will say though that pruning is done in February so you're not too late.

skybluesam

Message Posted:
02/02/2010 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Lime Sulphur sprayed during budding (anytime now) will control powdery mildew.

mikelapta

Message Posted:
03/02/2010 09:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Thanks Nick,your advice is similar to books I have read on pruning vines under glass in UK.And off to Garden Centre too for spray....when the wind drops hey?

Mike

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
03/02/2010 09:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Prune your vine as you would your Bougainvillea - i.e., cut last year's growth back to 2 or 3 buds from the 'leaders' (the main trunk and arms). Failure to do so will leave your vine weak and unproductive.

Fortnightly, prior to 'bud-burst', spray 'Bordeaux Mixture' - lime sulphur and copper sulphate (also on any pip fruit - apples, peaches, etc). Subsequently, you can spray 'Captan' or 'Benlate' - both broad spectrum fungicides.

Regular spraying is important to prevent 'Botrytis' - the formed bunches of grapes are very susceptible to this fungal disease - especially in the humid conditions that frequently occur in Cyprus.

I don't know the fungicide chemical brands available in TRNC, but ask 'Green Garden', or get a TC friend to ask a local grower for the info.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.