North Cyprus Tourist Board - Schools in North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Schools in North Cyprus

Schools in North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See All North Cyprus Schools Posts

debdebs

Message Posted:
06/06/2008 18:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 75 in Discussion

Has anyone moved out there with kids and put them into school. I have a 14 and 12 year old and will be moving at the end of July for the kids to start school in September.

Is anyone doing or done the same thing?

I would love to hear from you

Debs

mishmash

Message Posted:
06/06/2008 21:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 75 in Discussion

Hi

We moved out last August with two kids aged 9 and 11 (at the time) now 10 and 12. Both are in Sunny Lane School where they are registered to go back to again in Sept. Both have been fine and happy at school younger one settled in fine the older one took a bit longer but i think that was an age thing! Same curriculum as the uk, teachers very approachable.

PtePike

Message Posted:
06/06/2008 22:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 75 in Discussion

Msg 1,

Things may have changed since my 80s schooldays but isn't 14 approaching a crucial age for emotional stability and preparation for exams? You may well have all this fully researched for a seamless transfer so don't take it the wrong way.

ES

brian24001

Message Posted:
07/06/2008 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 75 in Discussion

At SL there are 10 IGCSE exams on offer at present, though this will undoubtedly change in the future, more to the benefit of th 12 year old:

Compulsory:

English, Maths, Double Award Sciences, ICT

Options:

Eng Lit, History, Geography, Art, Food and Nutrition

Go to the SL website and research properly, mail the school and ask them the questions re:subjects/exams. They will also email you the school news letters, though I beleive these do go on the website at some time.

Our 5 year old very happy there.

http://www.sunnylaneschool.net

Also consider the school next to the GAU, also follow UK curriculum

Good luck kids!

debdebs

Message Posted:
07/06/2008 14:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 75 in Discussion

Hi PtePike,

No I wont take what you said the wrong way, everyone is entitled to an apinion of their own. We have chosen to leave the UK to give the kids, hopefully a better way of life. It hasnt been a quick rational decision, it has taken us 2 years of researching the country and visiting on numerous occasions. We are all looking forward to the move and excited at what a different way of life has to offer.

Debs

debdebs

Message Posted:
07/06/2008 15:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 75 in Discussion

Hi mishmash,

Sounds like my daughter will be in the same year as yours. We come out at the end of July and will be staying at the riverside until our furniture arrives. We will then be living in Alsancak. Maybe it would be nice if my daughter could meet with yours before the school starts. Are you staying over there in the summer holidays?

Debs

mishmash

Message Posted:
07/06/2008 19:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 75 in Discussion

hi debs

(Sorry i've got sons) But in saying that they wud be in the same year at school we dont live very far from the Riverside and should be here through the summer bar maybe two weeks but i'm not sure of the dates yet. You let me know when you are here and we'll meet up i'm sure your daughter would still feel better seeing one face at school that shes seen before even if it is a boy!!!!!!

Dunns

Message Posted:
08/06/2008 13:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 75 in Discussion

iI have 3 children who used to attend Sunny Lane School at the moment i am having what i feel are very serious problems regarding Sunny Lane School it was brought to my attention that members of the teaching staff do not hold qualifications to teach i raised this point with the headmaster Mr Leyland who WOULD NOT or COULD NOT provide me with the information i requested after many e mails with no response i decided to take this matter to the next level and got in touch with the director and owner of the school Mark Unwin i put the same points to him and to date he has only responded once saying the remarks were unfounded again i have requested he provides the information regarding teacher qualifications if he feels the remarks were unfounded i would think he would be in a position to supply the relevaent information as Mr Leyland informed me they do have a good recoords keeping system. In the UK as with most other countries in the world anybody working with children has to be vetted by the police to ensure they are suitable to carry out such employment i have also raised this point with the school and its directors and again have no response this is a matter i am pursuing and will keep this forum up to date with replies. my legal advisor informs me that if what i feel is true there could be a case of OBTAINING MONEY BY DECEPTION which i will be asking the minister of education and the justice department to look into watch this space

debdebs

Message Posted:
08/06/2008 14:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 75 in Discussion

Which school do your children attend now? I thought the sunny lane school had a good reputation thats why I enroled my daughter. She is a very clever student so I dont want her studies to fall behind.

I am interested to read what you have to say, so will keep watching this space for an update.

Has anyone else out there had problems with SUNNY LANE SCHOOL?

Does anyone know what the school at the university in girne is like?

spud50

Message Posted:
08/06/2008 15:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 75 in Discussion

This is the link to the American school at GAU.

http://www.gau-americancollege.k12.tr/eng/index.html

I have emt several students (English and Turkish) who attend the school and they all speak highly of it.

Dunns

Message Posted:
08/06/2008 15:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 75 in Discussion

Hi debdebs

Because school holidays are upon us we have not enrolled them as yet i need to do a lot of research into other schools to ensure they fullfill the requirements.The most important thing to us is the kids education and safety and like a lot of things in the TRNC once they have your money they dont care we have been teaching the kids at home as we do in the holidays they can forget a lot in 12 weeks and we feel it is good to keep there minds active i have had a lot of good reports about GAU but will be looking into it

cyp32

Message Posted:
08/06/2008 15:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 75 in Discussion

Hi We are moving over in the summer and have registered our Daughter who is 11 with Sunnylane she starts in September in year 7 she's 12 in november.Again we have been coming over for holidays and hopefully this will give her a different way of life and for us to.

mishmash

Message Posted:
08/06/2008 16:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 75 in Discussion

Hi Dunns

Would be interested to know your outcome especially re the vetting side of things.

debdebs

Message Posted:
08/06/2008 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 75 in Discussion

I presumed that all people working close to children had to be vetted. Is this just Sunny Lane school or is it all schools in the trnc?

Hi Cyp32

we arrive on the 27th july, it might be nice to arrange for the girls to meet up.

phylray

Message Posted:
08/06/2008 18:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 75 in Discussion

I doubt very much if there is any vetting at all, having worked overseas for over

11 years in N.C. Turkey & M.East. One becomes aware that one is

often working alongside unqualified & it is patently obvious. I am speaking of

private schools though, & sometimes they find it cheaper to employ less qualified staff.

mishmash

Message Posted:
08/06/2008 18:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 75 in Discussion

Guess theres probably a shortage of qualified teachers???

phylray

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 08:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 75 in Discussion

The college I worked in at Famagusta did have qualified teachers (8 years ago)

& still has at least one I know! Problem was the management was poor & many left. The pay was not bad as it was partly in dollars & you could live on

your ytl part. Also, they did IGCSE which I am also qualified to teach in and examine (by Cambridge Uni.) in English. Staff were great

cyp32

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 11:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 75 in Discussion

Hi Debs,

It would be good for them to meet up and I will get back to you with a date when we are over.

tricia.

pupaden

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 13:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 75 in Discussion

I moved over here 18 months ago and chose to put my daughter into sunnylane it to me was a lovely, careing school a sort of close family feeling, the children and their education seemed to be the most important thing to sl but boy has it changed, gone have the days where the child is important all they think about now is money money money how much more can we squeeze out of the parents.If I kept my daughter there it would cost me just under a thousand pounds more than last year which now includes £360 you have to pay to use the bus. They said last year each class would have an english and a turkish teacher that lasted about a week. There is no communication between the school and the parents you have to be a mind reader to know whats going on, they cant organize a good time in a brewrey. They have said in a letter that the fees must go up and there will be several rises in the coming year. My daughter uses the school bus and everyday is squashed three to a seat.My brother is also moving out in sep and was going to put his son in sl but was advised by sl not to move here as there is nothing here for them this is because they found his son to be dyslexic and would not look good in their school.

debdebs

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 19:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 75 in Discussion

Hi pupaden,

Very harsh words there, starting to worry now whether we are doing the right thing. I have heard different views and from people who are quite happy with the school, I suppose we all have different views on education. I definately do not want my kids dropping back in their school work. Which school does your daughter go to now and is she happy?

Has anyone out there got any info on the GAU, did hear it was a better school than sunny lane after I had already enrolled my daughter.

brian24001

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 20:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 75 in Discussion

Yes, harsh words for pupaden, but we all have every right to voice out opinions and concerns here, and that is how we all learn and pass on our learnings so that hopefully others benefit without the heartache.

In SL's defence, out chick started in Reception last year, does have English and Turkish teachers and her spoken and Turkish maths are comming on so well, she now counts better in Turkish than English, and her English reading is excellent.

We are fortunate to be close (though this was planned prior to purchase), so buses will not be needed so will not comment.

On fees, book you kids into a UK private school, wait for the bill, then take a reality check. I personally hope fees increase dramatically, so the school can invest and provide for the young kids of today who in 5 years or so will require more and better facilities, and in larger numbers, the senior school classes at present have around 6-10 kids, in a few years, that number will be 25 or so, so be under no illusion, they run at a loss at present.

Communication, we seem to get loads of letters of info.

Remeber, schools are long term commitments, and investment today is for your childrens education in future years.

debdebs

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 21:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 75 in Discussion

Hi brian24001,

I know the cost of private schools here in the UK and I certainly couldnt afford to send my 2 kids. I am not complaining about the fees, I was merely stating (after hearing some negative reports) that I didnt want my kids education dropping in standard. My daughter will start there in September and we can see then for ourselves how she gets on.

At the end of the day I probably want the same as you, our kids to be happy, safe and well educated.

PtePike

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 75 in Discussion

I wouldn't be sending my kids to any place where you couldn't check up on the teachers. Back home they have to be graduates with a teaching diploma and registered with the General Teaching Council, as well as having passed disclosure checks. You can be pretty sure they'll take who they can get in the TRNC and with so many crooks walking about freely god only knows what CVs are like for honesty and accuracy. When we researched it the general consensus was that schooling on the other side was best for the kids. Many TC parents send their children to the GC side for schooling, and the fact that so many send them overseas for their higher education speaks volumes. Also, isn't there something not right about a school owned by an estate agent in north Cyprus?

Jwheeler&Sons

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 21:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 75 in Discussion

I would be willing to help the TRNC Ministry of Education in providing a much needed SN support service for children within the TRNC education system.

A regional SENCO ,would be able to provide information to enable the state system, to support the needs of children that require that facility.

Mrs Julie Wheeler.

brian24001

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 22:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 75 in Discussion

Pikey wrote:

"Also, isn't there something not right about a school owned by an estate agent in north Cyprus?"

I fail to see where the problem is, Mark and Hayran had concerns about mainsteam education fro their own children, and others, when the came to Cyprus. Their solution, sponsor (along with many others) the construction of an establishment to invest in the future of the children and the people of Cyprus, giving more choice to all.

If a few more people had the forsight, drive and commitment to the long term future of Cyprus as the Unwins, to be honest, these BB's would be very quiet.

In my educated opinion, what the Unwins have done is only one step down the ladder from sponsoring your own childrens hospital ward, and many people need to remeber that without the SL option, consdering childrens education, welfare and happiness many families would not even be here.

If anyone has concerns about any teachers, they have a duty to all to bring the matter to the attention of Mr Leyland.

dalartokat

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 22:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 75 in Discussion

Dunns did in message 8.

brian24001

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 75 in Discussion

Yes, but when the kids leave school, and go to college, they can be taught by a lecturer with no teaching quals whatsoever, I am talking UK colleges as an example, unless things have changed there in recent years.

As for here, I can only comment on our year teacher as we don't have much contact with others. We have 2 teaching friends in the UK and we have quized them about stuff here and vise versa and we have no concerns, but that's not to say all is flawless.

PtePike

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 22:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 75 in Discussion

Brian,

I'm not saying SL isn't well run because there have been mixed reports, just that people really have to tread warily when it comes to their kids' education. I don't think the school was set up primarily for altruistic reasons. I reckon it was a business plan from the start, otherwise NGO charitable help would have been available. Also, I don't think any right-thinking parent would want their kids taught by sub-standard teachers. There have been more than a few cases of struck-off or unqualified teachers going abroad where their crimes won't be known about. Medics are quite bad for this and their incompetence has cost lives before they were caught. Bad teachers don't (usually) kill children but they can ruin their chances for a successful and fulfilling life. And ultimately it's the parents who must take the blame for exposing their kids to bad schooling.

brian24001

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 23:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 75 in Discussion

Agree with all you say Pikey, except if it was a business plan, it certainly helped the oposition plenty and cost the Unwins a pretty penny to do so.

I only hope if things do look like going a little amiss that we are smart enough to spot it early, at least the missus will be, she's light years ahead of me on things like this, and I have always maintained that smart parents (singular in our household) are more likely genetically to produce smart kids, I beleive our kids learn the basics at school, 3R's etc, the real learning is the University of Life.

PtePike

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 23:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 75 in Discussion

Brian,

Can't disagree with you there. Mind you, I'm no good at this self-deprication stuff.

mishmash

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 23:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 75 in Discussion

My son has been at Sl for one year and all i can say is that today he is a different kid to the one that started he has grown in confidence and his turkish is coming along very well. Not only has he jumped big time in his school work but also his self esteem confidence and social kills i know he wouldnt have had this opportunity in the UK. His progress is all down to the staff at sl. On another note they've just had their end of year production and it was fantastic the work and effort must have been emense and the quality the kids' production was unbelievable!!!!!!! If we want sl to expand to a 6th form centre then we have to invest!

mishmash

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 23:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 75 in Discussion

To JWheeler & Sons i would be more than keen to work with you on that idea - used to work with kids in uk with problems pls keep me updated on your thoughts

Dunns

Message Posted:
11/06/2008 04:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 75 in Discussion

Hi Brian24001 It would appear that you are close to the Unwins as you seem to no a lot about there financial position and use first names you dont have to be a rocket scientist to work out how much is collected per annum from school fees and it didnt take a lot of investigating to get an approximate idea of the schools annual expenditure i think somebody is getting a nice fat pay check at the end of each financial year. during my ongoing enquiries i have met an english chap who 5 years ago transfered £85,000 to an Unwin account to start work on his villa the builder involved told him that once they recieved payment work would commence and on his next visit 7 months later his villa would be almost complete alas when he returned and went to see his villa it hadnt been started, when he contacted the builderhe was told they had not recieved payment with that the builder and the client went to the Unwins office and within 2 hours collected the money they said they had forgotten the nmoney was in there account.

Re contacting Mr Leyland i sent lots of e mails to his private e mail address and i feel that because the answers to some of my questions could not be put in black and white as it would leave things open for a possible law suit my e mails were ignored i have since put the same question to Mark Unwin and as yet have not had a reply dont believe all that you read and as a lot of the time it is not the complete truth.if they were squeaky clean as you seem to thjink they are how is it the information i requested regarding teacher qualifications and vetting is not forthcoming, i think you will find that some of my suspisions are in fact correct and if this is so i will be starting legal procedings to help protect unsuspecting parents

Watch this space

brian24001

Message Posted:
11/06/2008 09:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 75 in Discussion

Morning Dunns, you were up late last night looking at the time of your posting.

re: paragraph one, sorry, but I think you are confusing the subject here, this thread is not about houses, nuff on that. And to clarify, I only know Mark from dealing with our property purchase which was well researched, preventing much heartache and problems, I know nothing of the Unwins financial situation.

As for the question of teachers at the school, I have been pondering this since the postings last night.

the analagy I have derived is this:

I have totally re-plumbed my pump room here, lifted pump clear of the floor, installed chlorinator, fitted clear pipe in backwash line to minimise water use, and fitted backwash tanks to re-cycle 90% of water. I am not qualified to do this, but because I greatly rnjoy doing these kinds of work, I have I beleive made a very good job. The electrics were for sure originally installed by a 'qualified' electrician, whom, based on what I see I would not allow to fit batteries to my childrens toys.

Similarly, if a teacher enjoys teaching, and the children enjoy being taught by that person, qualified or not, you will end up with a better job, and your child will learn more and benefit greatly from a harmoneous class environment.

This I beleive is the situation for most at SL.

I fully accept that some children integrate less well than others, this is not the fault of the child or the school, it's a fact of life that not everything is compatible. It's a bit like the first time you meet a friend of a friend, and your initial reaction is one of caution or some dislike, it happens to us all.

In the end, if there became a serious problem for the school, a school which the majority are happy with, or they would have voted with their feet and wallets, then the accountability for the result of the actions are directly atributable to the initiating individual, ultimtely transferring the problem onto the children of the school, who will be the ones to suffer, is really something that I would not personally dictate to the children of others.

I fully agree with anyone who is unhappy and decides to move children on to other schools, but to (reading between the lines) attempt to harm ior even close the school by whatever means would be something that would prevent most sleeping at night.

Given that your para1 went 'off thread' it seems to myself that there is somewhat of a 'non school hidden agenda here' and I think that if the subjects were dealt with on their individual merits, more sympathy would be forthcomming.

I hope we and others remain happy with SL, but reat assured, if I wered not, I too would make the necessary changes, I would however not attempt to impose my will on others. We all make our own fortune or missfortune in life, we enter with nothing, we leave with nothing, accountability for errors, which you seem to feel you have made, during life lies with the individual.

dalartokat

Message Posted:
11/06/2008 10:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 75 in Discussion

Brian24001 part of your posting

"Similarly, if a teacher enjoys teaching, and the children enjoy being taught by that person, qualified or not, you will end up with a better job, and your child will learn more and benefit greatly from a harmoneous class environment"

Surely all teachers should be qualified. You cannot have a situation where, maybe 1 person is not qualified, to work along side those that are. Everyone should be qualified and be able to produce their qualifications. Where is the problem that a school cannot do this. No doubt that if "Coco" the clown were to turn up the children would greatly benefit from a harmoneous environment!! what would they know, but as a parent would you want your child being taught this way.

The schools in Northern Cyprus are as good as they are for that country but compared to UK(and will use UK as most people come from that country) it has been known for a few children in the past to have to return to England to catch up to be on par with those in the UK because of the standards.

However, as more and more pupils attend and problems get ironed out, hopefully the education standard will get better.

I personally do not see a hidden agenda in Dunns posting, nothing has been said that has not already been well documented in other forums over the past 5 years with either Unwins or the construction industry.

Jwheeler&Sons

Message Posted:
11/06/2008 11:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 75 in Discussion

I will keep you all posted.

SN can be supported in the TRNC system, given time and support.

Cyprus has a problem with this issue.

At least Sunny Lane - realises they can not support special children.

It costs too much. !

I have a SN child. and have high profile meeting this summer with the TRNC govt.

My email is

Jwheeler@lancashire.newsquest.co.uk .

lets help each other.

Jwheeler&Sons

Message Posted:
11/06/2008 11:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 75 in Discussion

If the Directors of Sunny Lane, enjoying charitable status within the TRNC , need support, its available.

brian24001

Message Posted:
11/06/2008 11:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 75 in Discussion

JWheeler&Sons:

Glad to see you are giving praise where it is due, how often do you here 'no problem, no problem' here and it can't be fixed/coped with. It takes more concern to turn away something that can't be catered for adequately, than take the cash and try to bluff it out.

Dalartokat (where on earth did that nickname come from??)

All a qualification shows is that on a given day you could pass a series of questions.

Do you not feel you have learned more since leaving school than you did while there? and about many more subjects?

Well, teachers do the same, we all hopefully continue to learn.

All I am saying is if I have the choice between a person with the slip of paper, or the person from the real world with a proven track record, I would prefer the latter.

I could give you an example happening now, as we type, where the reliance on exan results is totally flawed, and though the answer may by some be considered racial, it is in fact factual.

Aussie

Message Posted:
11/06/2008 12:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 75 in Discussion

I understand one of the major problems with attracting and retaining sufficient qualified teachers to most of the schools here is the very low salaries paid.

Its hard to attract and retain good professionals of any type especially when the working hours and conditions are a lot worse than the U.K, Australia etc.

I think to a large extent they rely on teachers who are living here anyway and aren't trying to live on their wages alone which is always a precarious way of staffing anywhere.

There is a global shortage of good teachers at the monent and the Middle East U.K etc is spending a lot of money poaching them from countries like Australai New Zealand etc.

Unfortunately the fee structures etc probably have to go up to pay reasonable (by Cyprus standards) wages rather than relying on the goodwill of teachers.

Ps I am not a teacher but have a lot of friends and family who are.

Aussie

Dunns

Message Posted:
11/06/2008 13:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 75 in Discussion

Hi Brian

You appear to be a bright person and should realise that times cange as you move around the world and also that this web site is run from the UK which if you have forgotten is 2 hours behind the TRNC I could also be in America which would mean i would be enjoying my evening meal while posting my replies, you should not take it for granted that the people on these message boards are in the TRNC while taking part in these threads

Regarding par 1 the house situation this was only mentioned as it came to light while investigating the problem with the school and it is part of proving a person or companies integrity.

Regarding your comment 'non school hidden agenda here' as with any type of business throughout the world if you are paying for a service you would expect to recieve the service originaly informed about,I am sure if you ordered a new Rolls Royce and ended up with a Reliant Robin you would be very dissapointed. the longer this situation goes on the more i as convinced my original suspisions are correct,as i said in an earlier message i look after the interests of my children and because i feel this is a very serious matter the parents of pupils at sunny lane should be kept informed. if i were running this school and all the teachers were in fact qualified and had been vetted i would be replying to a parents e mail within 30 seconds providing the requested information to rectify the problem

Read between the lines Brian, Sunny Lane obviously do not hold the information i have requested if they do they are not very good business people and can only harm there business by lack of response.

With regard to the Unwins financial situation you say quote so be under no illusion, they run at a loss at present. unquote do you have an inside contact where you can obtaun information sometimes people on these bbs make statements which they cannot back up, I believe that charitable organisations have to submit financial accounts maybe you can obtain a copy and let all the board members have sight of them to see where all the revenue is going.

Bye the way it is 6 05am where i am at present lets see what time the post hits the board at

Dunns

Message Posted:
11/06/2008 13:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 75 in Discussion

Hey Presto it shows it was posted at 11 08 am isnt technoligy good

Dunns

Message Posted:
11/06/2008 13:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 75 in Discussion

Sorry Brian

Hope your pump room is a success being a consultant engineer i can understand the problems you may have encountered some of the workmanship in the TRNC is diabolical nice to see you are concerned about the water shortage may be an opportunity to start a company

dalartokat

Message Posted:
11/06/2008 16:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 75 in Discussion

Brian24001 me thinks you've maybe been living too long in NC. So much so that its got to the stage that nothing matters except the financial gain. Would look fine if all professions went down the road you seem to want to go, in that qualifications do not matter. Of course we all continue to learn through life skills but some people don't, hence thats why you have on going training.

If for some reason SL cannot provide all teachers to be qualified then obviously the students safety is paramount and approval should be sought from all concerned that the teacher/teachers who do not hold qualifications only teach in their given subjects. One would not expect a teacher whose only qualification is French then be given a position in Mathematics and nobody be told about it. Maybe an extreme example but I am sure you get my drift. I believe there are strict guidelines to follow if this were the case. Also you would expect the Headmaster of the school to come clean if he is employing people without the full qualifications You have stated that it does not matter in your opinion but not everyone follows your way of thinking and those people have voted with their feet. Which they are fully entitled to do.

Sunny Lane School has, for some reason and we can all speculate why, been in the public eye and criticised rightly or wrongly in the past and if I were the recipient of annual fees for a school I had set up I would want to be squeeky clean.

Do not understand the reason for your remark concerning my "nickname" except to say that maybe you have not learnt enough about the country that props up your choice of residence or was it to try and belittle me because maybe you do not like the criticism of SL school.

Looking at my clock now its 2.46pm UK time.

tufty

Message Posted:
12/06/2008 11:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 75 in Discussion

Just to keep interested parties up to date i made my first communication regarding this problem on Wednesday 23rd April and lots of e mails have been sent since i have recieved replies which have been trying to deveate from the questions i have asked my last e mail was addressed to Mr Unwin personally as were the two previous mails and guess what 5 days 2 hours and 12 minutes later i still have not recieved a reply, maybe he is on vacation which would be a poor excuse as i am able to access the internet in most places on the planet i feel the truth is he is not in a position to supply the correct answers to my questions, if i have not had a reply by Monday i will be speaking to Mr Canan Oztoprak (Minister of Education) and arranging a meeting for when i return to the TRNC

PtePike

Message Posted:
12/06/2008 12:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 75 in Discussion

Hopefully said education official has not, or is not about to be, in receipt of a large and bulging brown envelope before searching questions are asked of him ;)

Dunns

Message Posted:
12/06/2008 19:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 75 in Discussion

I realise that there are lots of rumours flying aroud about brown envelopes but i find the other rule of life also happens in the TRNC its not whay you know etc

livethedream

Message Posted:
12/06/2008 20:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 75 in Discussion

Just to say that Mark and Hayran Unwin's children attend Sunny Lane, so I'm sure they have a vested interest in the standard of education.

Jwheeler&Sons

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 03:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 75 in Discussion

SPECIAL NEEDS PROVISION - recognition is a problem in Cyprus, north & south.

GAU does have a forward thinking attitide, from what I understand.

If the independent charitable status schools are discouraging SN pupils, maybe they are using this as a lever for EU finance.

Unwin did encourage me to enrol my child in 2005, knowing he had visable special needs. Although they had no visable provision.

Mrs Julie Wheeler.

Dunns

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 04:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 75 in Discussion

TO live the dream

We all know the Unwin children attend the school a friend of my oldest boy was seeing thier daughter, inocently he gave me information i could work with i would like to bet they dont have to pay for the school bus

livethedream

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 08:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 75 in Discussion

Sorry Dunns, but what has paying for the school bus got to do with the qualifications (or not) of the teachers at the school, standard of education, etc.? I wish you the best in your search for the truth and that some good comes out of it.

ltd

Dunns

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 11:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 75 in Discussion

Ltd

It was purely in response to msg 19 from pupaden the school bus used to be included in the annual fees not only have next terms fees gone up the so called free bus service has become a very expensive dolmus and there is no price structure per mile a lady i have been in contact with lives 2 kilometres from the school and she will have to pay the same price as a person from Catalkoy

brian24001

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 12:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 75 in Discussion

Re: msg 40

Hi Dunns, you are right, assumption, the mother of all cock up's, did assume you were in UK, obviously not.

If it’s of interest, time now in Pyongyang is 18:32.

As for technology, I doubt it will ever catch on.

Regarding running a school or indeed anything here, it amazes me that with plenty of international expertise available, and probably for free, that the govnt don't set up Quango's to help improve the decision making. SL is imminently, and I believe rightly setting up a board of governors, so hopefully better transparency will be on offer.

The senior school thing, simple maths, 6-8 kids in a class, say 10k for teacher, plus admin, plus the classroom's share of the building overheads/busses/meals etc, no chance of a profit there, I don't however have access to accurate figures, but a bit of 'Consultant Engineer fag packet maths'

And to finally I think put this thread to bed (for me, it’s well in excess of 40), I agree in principal with your observations above, at the end of the day, all any of us can do is what we consider appropriate at the time with the information we have, no-one can reasonably expect more.

Msg 43

darlartokat – no offence etc intended, just curious as it’s not a name/nickname I understood. If it’s a nam, it’s not one I have heard before, and on a Oogle search only comes up with 3 hits – most unusual to see so few.

Incidentally, wifey has banned me from the BB's over this thread, just snuck this in while she was out, i'm allowed only 'technical help' from now on. Thread also exceeds 40, so I don't go there anymore anyway.

Cheers all, and all anyone expects is do what you consider correct for the benefit of the majority.

Jwheeler&Sons

Message Posted:
14/06/2008 00:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 75 in Discussion

If would take very little time and effort for the Minister of Education, representing the state sector , GAU and Sunny lane to recognise, special children, need support.

There are EU grants available. and support from other agencies.

Mrs Julie Wheeler

Pearl

Message Posted:
14/06/2008 10:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 75 in Discussion

Hi

I am trying to sell my house in London and will hopefully be moving to Kyrenia in time for September. My daughter is 10 years old She will be attending Girne American School. It's suppose to be very good.

Where will you be living?

Jwheeler&Sons

Message Posted:
14/06/2008 18:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 75 in Discussion

Hi Pearl

Hopefully in an environment that is child friendly !

Good luck to you and your daughter.

Mrs Julie Wheeler

Jwheeler&Sons

Message Posted:
14/06/2008 18:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 75 in Discussion

The Dunns

Maybe you should speak to the Governors. ?

Mrs Julie Wheeler.

daily

Message Posted:
14/06/2008 22:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 75 in Discussion

I have not read the whole of this thread but find it incredible that people assume (expect) the standards of education in the TRNC to be the equivalent of the UK - is everything else? You surely can't choose the TRNC for its relatively primitive charm, lack of commercial development and crime and then bemoan the standard of its education system - this is surely perverse and paradoxical. There is a shortage of teachers everywhere (including the UK) and teachers are paid approximately £600 per month in the TRNC. Also minimum private school fees in Britain are about £7,000 and this sector also save money by employing teachers who having no teaching degree or lack experience and are therefore cheaper.

As parents moving to the TRNC, surely you have to be realistic - you aren't going to get the equivalent of a UK education (whatever that means?) but what you do get is presumably more time to cherish and support your children in a beautiful country that offers them a better lifestyle and value system. Sunny Lane or not - if I had the chance, I know what I would choose.

Dunns

Message Posted:
15/06/2008 13:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 58 of 75 in Discussion

Julie

I am not sure that the school has a board of governers when i lived in the uk i served 5 years as a local councilor and sat on the board of governers of 2 schools which gave me a great insight about the running of schools due to the fact that Sunny Lane is is run as a charity i am unaware of the legals but this is being investigated we all know about percentages regarding charities in the UK and i would like to bet it is the same in TRNC

Brian24001

You mention a teacher being paid 10k if what i am told is correct most of the teachers are on a little above minimum wage so lets be generous and call it 6k i would bet the staff wages would amount to approx 300k say another 200k for running costs and working out the income somwhere around 1 million sterling the charity directors end up with a nice salary i would have thought they would be in a position to up the wages to obtain the correctly qualified teaching staff i hav met 3 qualified uk teachers who went for interviews but because of the wages on offer did not take the posts

maggymay

Message Posted:
15/06/2008 22:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 59 of 75 in Discussion

I have read with interest all the comments made on this posting which at times have detracted from the original inquiry from debdebs. The standard of education received at sl is not in question which I feel is more than adequate. The children that attend there to the best of my knowledge are happy, its with regards to the schools administration, communication and honesty is where sl falls short. Mine is a personal experience not necessarily encountered by others my child has been in sl for 18 months I believe she has been happy although she has not objected in any way to changing schools. My brother is moving out in September with two children the eldest having being assessed in the uk as being dyslexic we went to enrol them in sl explaining everything and they were quite happy to take their £400 deposit and£200 admin fees saying they would set a test paper for him to sit in his uk school. The report was not in his favour sl suggested that they travel here for him to sit a test in sl at further great expense for a family of four and loss of work, the result of this test confirmed the test taken in the uk. Sl said they cannot teach this child because they have neither the staff or the facilities to cater for it. Their deposit fee was returned but the £100 admin fee they refused to refund. My grievance is that they took this money under false pretences knowing full well they dont cater for sn. I asked the school if for example a child entered the school at the age of four and was found to be dyslexic at nine what would happen we were told by Mrs Leylan " they would be dropped ". Also the £200 re-registration deposit is not refunded until the child leaves the school whether you pay the years school fees up front . To Brian24001 comment wanting the fees to increase dramatically Im sure his wish will be granted every year.

Jwheeler&Sons

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 01:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 60 of 75 in Discussion

You have highlighted a big problem.

No administration in the UK or TRNC would subject a special needs child to that extent.

How much did you pay the Unwins?

Mrs Julie Wheeler.

Jwheeler&Sons

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 01:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 61 of 75 in Discussion

You are obviously concerned about a special child.

Do Mark & Hayran Unwin, being registered directors of this registered charity

share your concerns ?

Speak to the governing body .

Put your mind at ease.

Mrs Julie Wheeler

Aussie

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 21:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 62 of 75 in Discussion

Dunns point on increasing teacher salaies if you want to attract and keep qualified staff is spot on.

As someone who has worked in the finance industry for many years it is pretty easy to make any business or charity appear to lose money with director and management fees and various precurement contracts, rental agreements etc.

Its unrealistic to expect professionals to do what is a pretty difficult and important job for around GBP6000 p.a especially given the steady increase in costs here (also globally). I know when I'v been quoted for work such as painting etc they are charging the equivalent of 3 times this in labour rates.

Given the recent talked of school fee increases they should be able to do better on the salaries front.

Aussie

Jwheeler&Sons

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 63 of 75 in Discussion

Hello

Thats reasonable thinking.

I would hope the charitable status extends to Special Needs aknowledgement.

Hope the directors of Sunny Lane have the background to explore this

'Cypriot taboo'

or at least be transparent in their motives.

Mrs Julie Wheeler.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 23:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 64 of 75 in Discussion

There is another school starting this september in Girne. Has been in CT several times.

As for children at SL many have a non complimentary name for the owners, probably generated from their parents whose options are fairly limited as to where they send their children.

How about the local secondary school?????

I always link the earlier options - Unwins, Robb and Amaranta and make my own assumptions.

Jwheeler&Sons

Message Posted:
18/06/2008 01:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 65 of 75 in Discussion

Lets hope all schools in NC benefit from EU funding, for all children.

Aussie

Message Posted:
18/06/2008 10:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 66 of 75 in Discussion

Is EU funding likely or contingent on a Cyprus settlement ?

Dunns

Message Posted:
18/06/2008 20:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 67 of 75 in Discussion

To All people interested

The Unwins were invited to a meeting at our company offices and a copy of the reply is below

I confirm that there is no point in Mr Unwin or anyone from the School meeting at your offices to discuss this matter. All meetings regarding the School must be held at the School, however, the School will close on Friday 20th and re-open on the 15th September, therefore, no meetings can be held until after this date.

Regards,

Hayran Unwin

I wonder if this is the reply they will send to the minister of education when requested to attend it really does make me think they are trying to hide somthing and i also think that headmaster Mr Leyland has been gagged as when the nitty gritty questions were put to him he didnt reply to my e mails lets see if the local press and the education minister can get the answers/

Making the school holidays an excuse is as far as i am concerned a very poor one are they leaving the island for 12 weeks maybe they are going somewhere nice to spend their ill gotten gains

Jwheeler&Sons

Message Posted:
18/06/2008 20:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 68 of 75 in Discussion

Dear Dunns.

It's very sad, they are behaving this way.

But very transparent in her approach - sadly .

Mrs Julie Wheeler.

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
18/06/2008 21:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 69 of 75 in Discussion

Debdebs

Both my children have been at Sunny Lane School for 3 school years. It is true that in that time there have been ups and downs, teachers coming and going and major changes. However, I would say that the changes, in the main, have been for the better. We have seen a dramatic improvement since the appointment of Jeremy Leyland, first as secondary headmaster and recently as headmaster for the whole school. My children are happy at school and both doing very well. My daughter has just sat her extended Maths IGCSE a year early and will be sitting another IGCSE early in November. I do not necessarily see eye to eye with the directors of the school and the recent increases came as quite a shock but the most important thing to me is my childrens' happiness. I know it is worrying when you read about others experiences but you need to make up your own mind. I have heard dreadful things about most of the schools here but you can only judge by personal experience. My own experience is that in secondary the school has good teachers especially in Maths and Science. I was told by a headteacher in England that if your child is bright they will do well anywhere. I'm not convinced this is true as our daughter went to what was supposed to be the best school in our area in England and her marks nosedived, she had 6 different English teachers in 2 terms, the last was not qualified to teach English. The last straw was that she had scissors held to her throat in an Art lesson and the school didn't think it was important enough to take action until my husband paid them a visit. Thankfully, she is back on track and doing very well in all her subjects. I wish your children well and hope that they will be happy at whatever school they end up in.

Jwheeler&Sons

Message Posted:
18/06/2008 22:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 70 of 75 in Discussion

Aylin

Kids come first.

Mrs Julie Wheeler

debdebs

Message Posted:
19/06/2008 17:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 71 of 75 in Discussion

Aylin

It was really nice to hear some positive feedback about SL school. My daughter is a very clever girl been in the top group in most subjects. I therefore dont want her education to suffer in any way, so it was nice to hear that your daughter is doing so well.

I have read all the comments on this posting and like most things there are two sides to every story. I can only judge the school for myself when we arrive out there. Hopefully things will work out for the better because, yes the kids do come first.

Dunns

Message Posted:
05/07/2008 17:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 72 of 75 in Discussion

Just to keep everyone up to date Sunny Lane and the Unwins are not answering e mails we no the school are on summer leave but i hadnt realised that e mail addreses get holidays

Cyprusactive

Message Posted:
06/07/2008 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 73 of 75 in Discussion

Just read this whole thread with interest, and feel sorry for debdebs for being inundated with totally irrelevant information from people with their own agendas, which have nothing to do with the subject. Our two boys have been in Sunny Lane (secondary) for three years and we have found that the education is very much on a level with the education they had in the UK (they went to an expensive private school). We are happy with all their teachers in SL and our boys' results - they don't seem to be doing better or worse than they did in the UK. Having experienced our own ups and downs with living and trying to make a living in the TRNC the school has been a pleasant surprise: it has gone from strength to strength, and I find our boys have grown in confidence and experience. The classes are small and the children from diverse backgrounds and nationalities, and both our boys have made good friends who support and look out for each other. I know education is very important, but for teenagers friendships are at least as important, as for parents our children's wellbeing. No school is 100% perfect and there are always going to be parents and children with unhappy experiences, but that is true of any school. As for unqualified teachers: in my opinion there are good, inspired and inspiring teachers and there are bad ones, who have lost interest in what they are doing, are indifferent and just going through the motions. I know which ones I would want for my children, qualifications or not!

shellc

Message Posted:
21/12/2008 19:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 74 of 75 in Discussion

hi there just thought i'd drop by and mention that we have purchased a home in NC and hope to move out there in 2010 when i have completed my training as a qualified early years professional (teacher status) i am also SENCO at a nursery at the moment so i am hoping to bring my expertise out there and work in NC with both nationalities, following the early years foundation stage and national curriculum, but really unsure as to whether I'd get a job there or not, but by the looks of things I may set up a buiness teaching privately in small groups??

smithy

Message Posted:
21/12/2008 20:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 75 of 75 in Discussion

debdebs my two granddaughters Tai and Yasmin were at Sunny Lane for 3 years and they loved it and the teachers were great, now they have moved to Thailand as their daddy works there, but we have found out that Sunny Lane Education is 2 years behind the UK, Yasmin was 6 in November, but she couldn't read one sentence, I was shocked when I used to sit with her and had to help her with 3/4 letters in one word which is shocking, I'm not saying they were not happy there they hated leaving and were very upset, but now I have found out that the girls are 2 years behind and have to stay in the year beneath to catch up is shocking.My neighbour moved over here and put her daughter in Sunny Lane but also had the problem of her daughter being put in the 7th year instead of the 8th which she should have been in, now they have taken her out and moved back to Scotland for her education as she would have been held back

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.