North Cyprus Tourist Board - Car Tax a nice surprise
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Car Tax a nice surprise

Car Tax a nice surprise

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Additional Costs in North Cyprus

Baydweller

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 16:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Just re-newed my car tax this morning and it has gone down

from 1,200tl which I paid last year to 820tl.

Now what can I spend the saving on, Ha Ha

mikeythespark

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 17:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Baydweller you may be able to help me, how is the car tax worked out? I know its to do with the weight of the car and engine size and diesel/petrol, but is it also age of car? I am shipping out a 10yr old merc and am wondering if it be registered as a new car or will it still be 10 yrs old, I think the older the car the less tax due?

waddo

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 17:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

The age of the car is that which is written in the vehicle log book at the time of registration.

So: 1993 Pajero imported from Japan in 1999 and registered in the same year = vehicle age of 11 years this year as registration date is taken as vehicle age date. Am told by customs that this system is used to make sure that nobody try's to sneek in a car that is younger than the date in the original log book???? Confused, join the club, membership is free and lasts a TRNC lifetime¬

I think the only thing they (customs) agree upon is if a vehicle over 25 years old is imported through the good channels of the vintage owners club - otherwise the car is as old as the import date!

scruff

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 17:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Just to make it totally clear, it is the age when the vehicle is first registered in the TRNC that denotes it's age in connection with road tax discounts. Vehicles 5 yrs old from DOR here, get 10% road tax discount & 10 yrs get 25% discount. The discounts were reduced last year from 25% & 40% respectively, which partly explains the big jump in road tax then. Road Taxes have been reduced a little by the new UBP Government. I think the TCs with new, heavy 4 wheel drive vehicles were up in arms over the swingeing increases the year before.

GBJohn

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 20:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

mikeythespark am here 11 month now and was told any car over 5yr old wont get in to Cyprus dont know if that has changed but check on this before you pay out money GB

scruff

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 20:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

It depends on how long a vehicle has been in your continuousd ownership in the UK. & it's not just its age. Anyone who is not clear about rules for importing vehicles here would be well advised to check & double check. 10 yrs old in UK. seems unlikely to qualify to me.

Mikeythespark, Have you done your homework on this, are you aware of the rules & the levels of import duties that have to be paid, should you import a vehicle from the UK. here?

IMO bringing a car from the UK. is fraught with pitfalls, very expensive & a massive hassle. Plus they are forever changing the rules just when you think that you understand them.I don't know a single person that has done this that would repeat the experience unless they have loads of money & lots of patience or they are stark staring mad.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 20:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

I would agree with scruff, unless your vehicle has sentimental value and you are prepared to pay whatever you need to keep it in your possession then forget it and sell it in the UK and buy second hand in the TRNC.

AJ

cliff

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 21:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

had my car taxed.last year 225 lira.this year 54 lira.

can"t mone at that

scruff

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 21:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Blimey AJ, we've agreed about something. This must be a first. (smiley)

You could, of course, also sell your UK. vehicle/s & buy new here. We did just that, when new car duties were lower & the car is still going strong, if a litttle scruffy round the edges now. A bit like me.

New vehicles sold by European manufacturers have lower taxes. It's the Japanese vehicles that are particularly costly from new.

I do hope that mikeythespark hasn't already booked his 10 year old Merc. for shipping or worse still it is already on the way. He may very well have to re export it.

mikeythespark

Message Posted:
05/02/2010 11:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Have been told by customs that as I have owned the car from new, I can import it. have double checked this as I am the one person who will have imported twice!!! I brought out a 2yr old Mondeo, a few yrs back, but as you rightly say it was very costly, import tax, road tax etc, and due to commitments in UK could not settle in Cyprus so sold it for more or less the value of the import tax, paperwork was not too much hassle,always found them helpful in Nicosia customs.My wifes Merc is of more sentimental value, plus a good runner, I think its selling value toady plus the import duty, I would not get as good and reliable car in TRNC.

rigsby

Message Posted:
05/02/2010 12:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Mikeythespark,Another thing you should consider.Will the cooling system on the Merc cope with the temperature here?We sent a Range Rover to Australia and had lots of problems.We had to change radiator,water pump and fan blades to cope.

scruff

Message Posted:
05/02/2010 14:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

msg. 10

Hope all goes well for you then mikeythespark. So many have been shocked by what they have paid in duty, compared with what they were told they would pay (if they even managed to get that info. in the first place). Then there is always the little problem of a sudden rule change, when your car was already on the ship in transit & it was too late to change your mind. I haven't come across a sungle person who has imported a car from the UK. & has lived to regret it.

I did check out your earlier posts, last night & discovered that you'd planned to drive the car here & then take it back to the UK. You have obviously now changed your mind about this? Best of the luck with the import & rather you than me. I'm really not trying to be negative, but just dealing with the realities as they are here. Btw, I'm not a recent newby expat.

mikeythespark

Message Posted:
06/02/2010 11:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Thanks all for you comments, I know I must be mad to be thinking of doing it twice!! but even after paying the import tax, currently quoted as 40% plus $3600 if I sell the car here I will only get 4K for it so at least I will have a decent car that I know the history of. I have looked on car sales sites and for 9K I wont get much it would appear. Am putting the car in the same container as furniture with Emel shipping, have had a good quote from them and have used them before. Hope to meet you all sometime later this year, should be out by May.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.