North Cyprus Tourist Board - DVD Shops
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > DVD Shops

DVD Shops

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 11:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

Has anyone got an recommendations on the best DVD shops around Girne and surrounds?

You know, ones that sell good quality, subtitled, no stopping, non cinema copies?!

livethedream

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 11:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

We use the one on the corner opposite Astro (don't know it's name) - never had a problem with any of them.

ltd

wackyjim

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 11:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

The DVD Shop... In Alsancak opposite the Capitano fish restaurant sells good quality copies and will take back anything thats not

Jim.

Kitty1

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 15:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

The one in Catalkoy is good too. It's in the new block of shops where Hot Chick, Kitchens R Us etc can be found.

He will put them on for you before you buy so you can see the quality of picture and sound.

Nastynipper

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 15:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

http://www.copyrightaware.co.uk/copyrighttheft/index.asp

It's a myth that buying fake DVDs or downloading illegal content is a victimless crime. The most obvious concern may be the poor sound and picture quality or that the film stops before the end leaving you hanging. But scratch the surface and you'll find the damage caused by fake DVDs affects a wide range of people.

Copyright theft is a big issue - for the consumer, for the film and TV industries and for communities. For legitimate business, the distributors and high street retailers who sell or rent DVDs, counterfeiting has a significant impact on profits. At present, 15% of the value of legitimate sales is lost to the problem. It doesn't just affect big businesses; these losses have a serious negative impact on the 200,500 people employed in the industry in the UK, contributing to rental and retail store closures, loss of jobs and threatening future investment.

How can I tell if my DVD is fake?

Films are released in cinemas before they become available to buy or download. This means any film you see for sale or available for download while it's still on at the cinema is not being sold legally.

If you have a film title on DVD that has not yet been released in the UK, if it is not anywhere in the world in DVD format, or it is currently on in the cinema, then it is more than likely to be a pirate copy. Buying DVDs from a reputable retailer and shunning 'new' DVDs available from online sites are a few ways of avoiding buying a pirated DVD, but there are other ways to ensure you know what you are buying. If you are in any doubt you can contact us at info@copyrightaware.co.uk

Report It

The Federation against Copyright Theft (FACT) is the UK's leading trade organisation established to protect and represent the interests of the film and broadcasting industry against copyright and trademark infringements. Established in 1983, FACT works closely with statutory law enforcement agencies to combat the growth of counterfeit DVDs, film and other forms of broadcast material the increasing threat from online/internet based piracy. FACT has been accepted as a prosecution authority and engages in criminal prosecutions in its own right.

The maximum penalty for offences of film piracy is 10 years imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine. Proceeds of Crime Act legislation now also enables confiscation of assets and goods obtained through criminal activity.

Blackie

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 15:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

Heres a real toughie find somewhere in the TRNC which sells good quality legal DVDs. Because of the embargo there are very few places, I have only come across one which sells DVDs which appear legal. Whilst I would not contemplate buying fake DVDS (I bring mine across with me) in the UK there is little alternative in the TRNC.

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 15:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

nastynipper

If there was anywhere legal then believe me I would be there! nowhere here sells legal stuff I don't think?

It is quite funny that everyone knows its illegal and yet there they are on the streets visible to all - ah but this is cyprus, and just one of many things. Thats why I love it so!

Lemtich

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

Hi HH

How does that observation re DVDs square with non registered taxi drivers.

Lem

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 16:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

exactly the same - people do it but they shouldn't. If you are referring to me buying illegal dvd's then what can I say - I don't run the shop? Does that make it justified?!

ukturk

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 16:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

nastynipper

like what blackie has said because of the embargos placed on north cyprus, orginal dvd's are hard to find and if you do you pay a over inflated prices for it because they are imported over from turkey, secondly becasue cyprus is not a reconised country there are no copyright laws to stop people from selling and buying pirated films does not make it right but thats the way it goes and fact have got no juristiction outside the u.k so they will find it pretty hard to prosecute people who are selling, buying and watching it in cyprus unless they do bring the film in to the u.k and get stopped by customs

you might be right about the fact that the film industry loose millions of dollars/pound in lost revenue due to piracy but at the end of the day 80% of the pirated films that are out on the market stem from screener copies for people who dont know what screener copies are they are copies which are sent out from the film companies to places like the clasifaction boards and to people who review the films aswell as the award bodies so if you did not have these dodgy people in these companies then you would stamp out most of the pirate industy then would leave the people who go into to cinema's with their camcorders to record the film and these copies are unwatchable so then this industy would eventually die out but then you have the internet which is even harder to police

in my view the only way you will combat this industy is to move ahead with the times and implement what the music industry are doing offer the chance to download a track or album for a nominal fee, you could do this with the film industry the people who want to go and watch the film in the cinema thats down to them but the people who would like to watch it in the comfort of their own home can download it for a fee because at the end of the day the end consumer is buying it anyway of the pirated seller

you say max penalty for having these films are ten years in prision and a hefty fine, it might be law but this does not happen in real life i have been at many car boot sales and markets when people have been caught selling not buying and all they get given is a fine and their stock taken away but the next week they are out their again becasue the fine is nothing to the profit you can make

ukturk

Lemtich

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 16:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

I don't know the answer to that one. Is the perpetrator of an illegality equally to blame as someone who benefits through an illegality?

Don't get me wrong, I download music and DVDs for my own entertainment. I don't sell them but it is a breach of copyright.

I just wondered how one makes a judgement call in these situations and know when to condemn someone who is committing an illegality or just condone it,

Regards

Lem

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 16:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

I d/l stuff all the time as well. I think I can see where you are going with this, but me being me, I would just say that I am not putting people lives at risk by buying hooky stuff, and as Ukturk says, there are no copyright laws here, so go with the flow.

Lemtich

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 16:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

I think I see what you mean, its the degree of risk that certain activities pose to peoples' lives and wellbeing. I think I would agree with that.

Lem

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 17:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

sorry for being nosey, but notice that you hail from IOW?! My mum and dad lived in Wroxall (or Wroxhall?) before they moved over here - nice one! Loved the place.

Lemtich

Message Posted:
09/06/2008 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

Hi HH

Yes it is Wroxall, near Ventnor, I live in Ryde some 10 miles away. It is a really nice place to live, just cost a bloody fortune to get off. We went to see the Foo Fighters at Wembley Stadium Saturday, it cost £63 for a car and 4 passengers to get the island for a day and that is with a resident's concession!

Lem

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 11:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

ooooh Foo Fighters - the only one thing I seriously miss being here, is not being able to go see bands play, which is/was one of my most favourite past-times. Never mind, Funky Monkey and the next Big Jam are not far off! Say hi to IOW for me! lol

Lemtich

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

Will do HH

I'm coming out for 4 weeks in August, I'm probably going to check out these venues.

Regards

Lem

jock1

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

HI HOT Hornet have you been to the big jam's? they seem to do well, when we do come over this will be on my list after i have soaked up the trnc. we would be over tomorrow but are tying up the loose ends here.

regards jock

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 12:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

jock1

indeed I have and have enjoyed them very much - my friend even pulled one of the drummers - strumpet!

The Big Jam events are bands over from UK as well as locals Funky Monkey that mainly do cover stuff, but good cover stuff!! All ages were there last time, so not just for the young'uns or old'uns. The next event as you may have seen is 18 & 19 July. BUT every Friday and Saturday night normally Funky Monkey do their own thing - starts quite late at around 10pm.

Normal weekends are free entry (unless you are a student and then they make you pay - as they only buy one drink all night - wicked eh, for a change students have to pay for something!).

Give it a try if you fancy something that doesn't resemble an attempt at a talent contest, or indeed those wonderful looky likey singer nights - yuk!

jock1

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

Loud and clear. I believe my advocate Terry Hamilton plays ther and is excelent at the blues, have you seen him?

Kitty1

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 12:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

Jock and HH,

Great to hear you are fans of FM and Big Jam!

Terry and the Breakaway Blues band don't play the Tunnel anymore and I'm afraid I don't know where they went.

Funky Monkey are playing at the City Bar this Friday from 11pm if you want to see them this week! If you are Facebook members, there is a Funky Monkey group (also groups for the other Big Jam bands as well), and they also have a website http://www.therealfunkymonkey.co.uk where you can find details of where they are playing as they are now starting to get out and about!

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 13:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

FB eh - will check it out - saw in the paper that they had played elsewhere at the weekend! Think I recognise your pic as being part of the crew at the 1st BJ?

But, shame on me, where on earth is the City Bar?!! X

PtePike

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 13:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

Msg 6 "because of the embargo..."

What does the international convention to exclude an illegal government from the international stage have to do with the sale and distribition of DVDs? There's no restriction over what can be sold in N Cyprus in the way of everyday consumer goods. This embargo nonsense is an out-of-context myth.

Kitty1

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 13:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

The City Bar is in a side street just opposite the KibTek offices in town.

I wasn't really part of the crew for the BJ, I was just covering Marion on the door really if she needed to go anywhere. The lead songer from Spiney Normal was a guy I was in school with and haven't seen for 20 years. It was a great way to be reunited!

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
10/06/2008 14:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

ah thanks I do know it, but must have had a different name at some point! What a nice way to have reunited with a school mate! X

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.