North Cyprus Tourist Board - The GC's are at it again - what a shame!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > The GC's are at it again - what a shame!

The GC's are at it again - what a shame!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 09:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 31 in Discussion

Just received this by email:

Subject: PGA AND SKY TV IMPLICATED IN CYPRUS GOLF SCANDAL

To:

Date: Wednesday, 10 February, 2010, 14:17

Dear Sir,

I am the Chairman of an organising committee set up to promote a Sky televised, Europro Tour Golf Event in Northern Cyprus. Event negotiations had moved to contract signature last week when the promoters, Barry Hearn's Matchroom organisation, on behalf of the European PGA, cancelled the event. The background to the cancellation was political, at the same time as Matchroom were negotiating with Korineum in North Cyprus they were also talking to a Republic of Cyprus golf club, Aphrodite Hills. The latter club also agreed a contract for an event later in the year. On signature they then threatened/blackmailed Matchroom to pull out of the Korineum agreement. This was clearly racial and religious discrimination on the part of Matchroom and the PGA who could have run both events but decided to support the Greek Cypriots and disregard....

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 31 in Discussion

....the Turkish Cypriots and all previous negotiations held.

Background

In October 2009 Korineum Golf and Country Club, North Cyprus (Turkish Cypriot Administered), advised Matchroom (Mr Sam Piggott), promoters of the Eurpro Tour, a third tier championship in the European PGA that they wished to host an event. There were some concerns on the part of the organisers because of the political situation in Cyprus. The PGA were contacted (Mr Simon Higginbottom) and their support for the event sought. Korineum Management and the North Cyprus Golf Federation were encouraged to organise the event, which would be a first for Cyprus, and negotiations commenced.

Last week shortly after the organisers of the Korineum event had agreed a contract, they were advised that it had been cancelled. It later transpired that Matchroom had also agreed to organise a similar event in the Republic of Cyprus (Greek administered) later in the year and when the organisers of that event heard....

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 09:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 31 in Discussion

....about the Northern event, threatened Matchroom. The promoter subsequently pulled out of the Northern Cyprus event.

Summary

It appears that this withdrawal, on the eve of contract signing, was politically and racially motivated with Aphrodite Hills Golf Club putting pressure on the PGA and Matchroom to withdraw, or else!

It appears incongruous that while the Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot leaders of the Cyprus people seem to be committed to reuniting Cyprus, the Republic of Cyprus is doing everything in its power to isolate Northern Cyprus from anything approaching normality.

In addition, an organisation that exists to promote sport, appears to be happy to get involved in the complicated politics of Cyprus.The collective result is, a huge number of people in the Northern part of the Island will no longer have the opportunity to host and be involved in the eagerly anticipated event, into which a great deal of time and effort had already been invested.

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 09:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 31 in Discussion

These actions are a disgrace and should not be tolerated in any civilised society, never mind the EU.

End of report.

Should you need any further information on this report please contact ******** at the above email address or Tel: ************

Kind Regards

******* Korineum Golf and Country Club

******* Tournament Organising Committee

Lilli

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 09:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 31 in Discussion

they just wont give up and they claim that we isolate them xx

scruffdog

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 09:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 31 in Discussion

Why don't you contact one of the UK papers and see if they will run a story. It seems every time the TRNC are shot in the foot they just stunble on. If the GCs are wronged all hell is let loose and everone hears about it, so the world sees the GCs as always being wronged and not what happens to the TCs. It is about time we fought back, big time.

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 09:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 31 in Discussion

Good idea scruff - I will contact the guy who wrote it and suggest he does this. He was after all the author and the guy involved with the whole sorry situation.

G

yorkie58

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 10:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 31 in Discussion

This does not surprise me in the slightest and some of the fault must be burdened by the North Cyprus Golf Federation, are they members of of the R & A who are golf's governing body? If not why not ? have they ever applied ? The ROC are members even Mongolia are members.

The R&A is committed to working for golf and operates with the consent of 136 organizations from the amateur and professional game and on behalf of over thirty million golfers in 123 countries.

If The North were affiliated members then there would have been less change that this would have happened. Similar thing happened many years ago when the handicaps that were administered by the north were not deemed to be recognized that was until they joined CONGU under there own identity.

My advice is get your house in order before you complain.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 10:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 31 in Discussion

A great opportunity has been missed. It's all so sad.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 10:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 31 in Discussion

There's no place for Politics and Sport!

dozza67

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 11:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 31 in Discussion

There isn't a newspaper in the UK that would run a bad story against the GC's. They are just as politically biased as they are. Miserable scumbags. Why can't the GC's get on with their own lives instead of trying to make trouble for the TC's at every given opportunity.

hattikins

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 11:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 31 in Discussion

Just another example of the GC,s willingness to agree a fair settlement with TRNC, not.

newlad

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 31 in Discussion

Imagine if that event had come off and the publicity it would bring to the North.It is so wrong,

Paul.

coffer

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 12:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 31 in Discussion

Msge 8,

As you mention, North Cyprus is affiliated to CONGU, the R&A are responsible for Governance (rules etc), The Open, environmental golf and junior golf. Other than rule making, it is not responsible for professional golf, that's the PGA. A valid point, but I'm not sure whether your advice would have made any difference.

My understanding is that the R&A, PGA, UK media including newspapers and World golf magazines have all been notified.

yorkie58

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 12:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 31 in Discussion

Yes Coffer your understanding is ??? that;s always been the story over herenobody can confirm what has or hasn't been done, it's my understanding is not confrimation, can you answer my question are they members of of the R & A who are golf's governing body? If not why not ? have they ever applied ?

coffer

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 13:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 31 in Discussion

I don't know whether the TRNC Golf Federation applied to the R&A for affiliation. My point was the R&A do not control Professional Golf, its down to the PGA.

malsancak

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 13:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 31 in Discussion

It's published on http://www.northcyprusfreepress.com/2010/02/12/pga-and-sky-tv-implicated-in-cyprus-golf-scandal/

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 13:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 31 in Discussion

I'm not a golfer Yorkie so whether Korineum are members of the R & A I have no idea. The point is that this is something that many people worked very hard to achieve - something that was going to happen to the point that contracts were going to be signed (the 11th hour) - and was then pulled because of GC politically motivated intervention and blackmailing.

Whether they are members of this, that or the other organisation has no bearing on why the tournament was cancelled. It's the reasons that it was cancelled that is the issue!

Besides that, I'm sure iof they applied to be part of the R & A the GC's would object and their application would be refused - that's just the way it is unfortunately!!

Dozza67 - you are right I'm sad to say, there are no UK papers with the balls to publish a report so negative of the GC's - however right it may be.

G

G

trnc55

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 13:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 31 in Discussion

Again!!!!!!!

Why, How can the Daily Mirror in yesterdays edition show North Cyprus also you do see adverts in some of the Sunday`s- how come they can do it or perhaps they told them to "p*ss off"

However everyone hears reports of this happening time and time again with actions, initiates being stopped - Adverts on the London bus , Travel shows; exhibitions , Cruise ships initial showing Famagusta port being a stop etc etc the list goes on . Why doesn`t TRNC get it`s act together regarding PR and make people aware, it seems they talk a good story - how they stand up to ROC , won`t let them ride rough shot etc but once again they do nothing. Politically they are seen as the bad guys to the outside world because ROC has better PR people. It seems they rely too much on Turkey to speak up for them. No one outside of Cyprus or people with no connection to the island are aware of the TC side of the issue- being removed from villages, land issues,ownership etc .

Any "company" wi

jacktheladett

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 13:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 31 in Discussion

Can't someone get hold of Tom Roche, he has UK newspaper contacts?

trnc55

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 13:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 31 in Discussion

cont

Any "company" will tell you you need good PR and that it`s products can live or die by it- look at Toyota

yorkie58

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 13:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 31 in Discussion

My point is that if you are a member of a club and fellow members abuse your rights then you have an avenue for complaint, there is no bigger club in Golf than the R & A I am also sure that if you are also affiliated to the EGU then that is another avenue, yes blame the Greeks but why do the North always leave themselves open for the these attacks, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT rather than just blame others.

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 14:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 31 in Discussion

But Yorkie, as I said, If the TRNC ever applies to these kind of organisations they get blocked by the GC's - the same way they have had blocked this tournament. Do you not understand that?

G

malsancak

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 14:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 31 in Discussion

The problem, because of the Orams decision, is that anybody stepping foot in north Cyprus will eventually trespass. This fact can be used repeatedly by the GCs to discourage companies who fear that someone might sue them if they become involved. I'm not sure what the title deeds are of the golf course but I believe even just landing at Ercan airport would constitute trespass. If someone had pointed out this implication at Mr A's Orams appeal perhaps one of the judges would have seen that the case had massive political implications and was not just a simple civil action.

yorkie58

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 14:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 31 in Discussion

Mesg 23 that is why I asked the question for gods sake, we applied to CONGU and got admitted the Greek Cypriots didn't prevent that, it's you that doesn't understand, unless you try something how can you know how it will turn out. There are ways for the Golf Federation to deal with this and I will leave it at that.

hds.trnc

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 14:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 31 in Discussion

publish the circumstance in the form of an advertisement....dont rely on goodwill..or public interest etc.....the $ has a voice....

norman

flightholiday

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 14:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 31 in Discussion

George Msg 1 & Richard Msg 6

The only way that "letters" will work is if there are emails and letters sent and it is not just from one person but many and others involved too like the travel agents association (KITSAB), Korenium and http://www.embargoed.org as the newspapers like politicians will only react to volumes.

An advert might help but who is going to fund it?

theoddmajor

Message Posted:
13/02/2010 10:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 31 in Discussion

See the front page of yesterdays edition of the Cyprus Star.

cyprusgiant

Message Posted:
13/02/2010 14:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 31 in Discussion

As a member of Korineum Golf Club, I am saddened by the events that has led to a denial of an event in TRNC. It appears that Matchplay did actively encourage Korineum to prepare all requirements to host the event, including putting in place a substantial amount of funds for sponsorship purposes. As with other examples of our esteemed colleagues south of the border, it was an eleventh hour decision that was taken, after the South learnt of the plans to hold an event in TRNC. It's frustrating to me as a member to see vehicles with Greek Cypriot registration plates frequently parked at the Golf Club. Also frustrating when competing in the annual North Cyprus Open to have Greek Cypriot participants in the event. Even more frustrating to learn that the President & his deputy of the GC golf federation play my course for free on a regular basis.

cyprusgiant

Message Posted:
13/02/2010 14:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 31 in Discussion

Although the Korenium Golf Club & it's members have tried to foster friendly relations, it comes as no suprise that in matters of great importance and prestige to the Golf Community in the North, the South have scuppered all the work that has been done in preparation and stabbed us in the back again. They do say (remembering our fallen armed forces during the conflict) that a leopard doesn't change it's spots, and the stabbing in the back reflects their way then.......

yinandyang

Message Posted:
14/02/2010 13:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 31 in Discussion

Individual golf clubs are not members of the R & A, they are members of a golf federation who abide by the rules of the R & A

Korineum golf and country club is a member of the TRNC golf federation who are governed by the Turkish golf federation who are members of the R & A. So the answer to msg 8 is YES Korineum is a member of a golfing federation governed by the R & A.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.