North Cyprus Tourist Board - TRNC Residency - Don't go too early - You have been warned !
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > TRNC Residency - Don't go too early - You have been warned !

TRNC Residency - Don't go too early - You have been warned !

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Residence Permits

» Read about Work Permits

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 10:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 30 in Discussion

We went to renew our residency today (12 Feb) as our current residency was due to run out on the 25 Feb. Our paperwork was all there and all that was required was to stamp our passport - too simple for NC !!

The girl on the desk pointed out that we still had days to run on our current residency and that therefore she could not process our new residency stamp. Having arrived at 7a.m. and waited for 3 hours to get served, we were told that we would have to come back on the 20/21 Feb and they would then issue our new stamp. I don't know what they expect to change over the next 8 days but rules are rules !! We tried to appeal for a modicum of common sense to be applied, but as we all know, when it comes to the state run departments, common sense is a quality sorely lacking.

It is episodes like this that make you wonder "What the hell am I doing here" ?

Severely p***ed off

Paul

Isabella

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 11:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 30 in Discussion

What if something had happened in those 15 days to renewal and the person in the residency office had already renewed your documents, how then could the government say you were not allowed to stay in NC. I would say procedures covering residency will be extremely strict and rightly they should be.

Remember the employees are given instructions on how their job should be administered. If they did not follow correct procedures employees could be at risk of losing their jobs.

It is just the same in the UK and I am sure all other countries. I have a friend whose Brazilian daughter-in-law is trying to gain UK residency and I was surprised just how expensive and difficult it is.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 11:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 30 in Discussion

RE msg 1, fiendishpaul: (...) We went to renew our residency today (12 Feb) as our current residency was due to run out on the 25 Feb. Our paperwork was all there and all that was required was to stamp our passport - too simple for NC !!"

=> Unnecessary and unfair comment. You could have known that one goes two weeks before the expiration of one's residency to the Girne Police Station, where you are told that you will be served in Lefkosha after three weeks. What's the problem with this rule - it works fine.

negativenick

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 11:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 30 in Discussion

With the state of the place, they ought to be bending over backwards to get Brits to get annual residency...

The housing market is in free fall, dumped rubbish everywhere and uncertain future.

Or perhaps we ought to remind them what the place was like before we bought here en-mass...

newscoop

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 30 in Discussion

Ignoring Happy Nicks typically fatuous comment what could but hopefully not change over the next week or so is the cost, which is why just like road tax you cannot renew early.

rigsby

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 12:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 30 in Discussion

One of my memorys of the place stands out.There were six customers in the department waiting.One girl gave us our ticket and the girl sat next to her asked for it.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 30 in Discussion

DC

I don't believe that my comment is either unnecessary or unfair - I am just trying to make fellow expats aware of the 'rules'.

I don't know where you get your dates from, but I have never met anyone that has had their residency processed in 3 weeks.

Last year when we applied for our first residency it took 7 weeks and 3 visits to Lefkosa before our paperwork was processed and we finally received our stamp. For this precise reason we thought that we would get our paperwork in order early so as to avoid our previous experience - being organised and the TRNC are not two words that sit together easily !!! We went to get our residency early because my wife works on the Greek side and has to cross the border each day and understandably doesn't want to risk the possibility of her residency running out and not being able to come back over the border.

Newscoop - Your reason is probably accurate !

Still p***ed off !!

Paul

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 12:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 30 in Discussion

I agree Hans, it's always been like that in the 4 years I have been here. It's always worked fine for me. 8am is too late to get their if you want to get seen quickly.

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 12:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 30 in Discussion

Sorry, that should have said 7am was too late.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 12:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 30 in Discussion

RE msg 7, fiendishpaul: (...) I don't know where you get your dates from, but I have never met anyone that has had their residency processed in 3 weeks. (...)

=> Well, you've met one now, Paul. And today I went to the Girne Police station (my fifth residency expires on February 21) and I was told again: your residency (my sixth) will be ready in Lefkosha in three weeks. I can hardly believe that I'm the only foreigner in North Cyprus being treated according to the rules.

NCMan

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 12:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 30 in Discussion

I agree with you Hans we have always done the same, in the last 6 years.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 14:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 30 in Discussion

Hans,

I can honestly say that you are my first. Maybe I just had a bad experience on my first application ???

When I handed my paperwork in to Girne Police Station in early Jan, I was told to wait 4 (four) weeks before I picked up from Lefkosia - As it is, we left it for 5.

Stella

We got there just before 7a.m. and were number 8 in the queue. We were actually seen quite quickly once the office opened at 8.45 (supposed to be 8.30). The 3 hours waiting was from when we first arrived at 7 a.m.

Isabella

They seem happy to issue my residency 5 days early but not 15. I suppose during the 15 days in question, I could have offered to build some dodgy villas, conned folks out of hundreds of thousands of pounds.....erm wait a minute, didn't a certain Gary R do this and get rewarded with citizenship ????

However, to be serious, they could have issued my new residency commencing today, so in effect I would have 'lost' the 15 days.

Paul

timefore

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 15:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 30 in Discussion

having renewed our residency 4 times now, have had no trouble at all - just followed the rules - gone to police station 3 weeks ahead of renewal date and gone to Lefcosa 14 days after that and our residencies have been issued - great service as far as we are concerned.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 17:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 30 in Discussion

Paul

I think you had a bad day, and I guess you now hate BMW drivers.

If it is any consolation my wife submitted her paperwork 5 weeks ago and I submitted mine 3 weeks ago. Mine was ready but hers was not. The reason? It had arrived and had been logged into the system but the paperwork had been lost. We should/could have been in and out in 2½ hours but the paperwork was finally found and we managed to make the 1200hr (lunch time) deadline (that is another story) albeit without wifey's pink book. So she will have to be without this gem of a document until her next application for residency.

By the way, what is the purpose of this little booklet. As far as I can see it is only there to record change of residential address. Anyone know any different?

AJ

Texas

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 17:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 30 in Discussion

AJ.

The little pink (or blue) booklet is extremely useful. I know for a fact that if you show it at Girne Castle, you pay the rate the "locals" pay., as opposed to what the "tourists" pay. I think the saving could be as much as 4TL!

Double if you are with your partner.

I tried to show it for a discount at Cafe Fast Food, but Ibo just laughed. He offered me a free coffee, but he does that anyway.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 17:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 30 in Discussion

Paul

' didn't a certain Gary R do this and get rewarded with citizenship ???? '

Funny you should mention that as during our tour around different offices trying solve the case of my wife's missing paperwork, I happened to spot a file lying on a desk entitled 'Gary John Robb' I was tempted to take a photo of it with my phone but thought better of it. Now why would that be on some ones desk and not filed away somewhere?

AJ

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 18:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 30 in Discussion

RE msg 14, AJ : (...) So she will have to be without this gem of a document until her next application for residency. (...))

=> Happened to my wife also - indeed, after one year it was found back again. What's the problem?

AJ: (...) By the way, what is the purpose of this little booklet. As far as I can see it is only there to record change of residential address. Anyone know any different? (...)

=> The purpose is to give men a blue booklet and women a pink one. What's the problem?

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 20:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 30 in Discussion

Coming up is our 5th, and the rule has not changed regarding when to take for renewal, always been told 1 week before renewal date. If police are quiet they may accept a few days before that but that is arbitary.

So thanks for posting a reminder to anyone new but it is always best to check all the rules precisily.

We also had ours in less than 3 weeks on at least 2 ocasions. but sometimes things get hel back following Bayrams so you just take those into account. The police in Girne have always given us fairly accurate info regards pick up dates.

So I agree with DC and others, no problems with immigration.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 20:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 30 in Discussion

AJ

Glad to hear that your visit was successful albeit your other half didn't get her 'pinky'.

BMW driver duly turned up, got into his car and drove off without so much as an acknowledgement or apology. What a w****r !!.

Never mind, now looking forward to my next visit.......I really cannot wait !!!

Paul

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 21:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 30 in Discussion

Hans

' The purpose is to give men a blue booklet and women a pink one.'

Now I am worried. Guess what colour I have?

AJ

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 21:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 30 in Discussion

Texas

Message 15.

There are only so many times you can visit Girne castle.

Now if you had succeeded with Cafe Fast Food then I admit I would treat 'Pinky' with the same reverence as the Bible.

Maybe we both need to work on it.

AJ

Maz

Message Posted:
13/02/2010 00:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 30 in Discussion

Oh dear, I am worried now, as to whether I need some kind of sex change operation. Myhusband and I both have blue books. At least they are better than the one I had in the South which was labelled 'Alien' which made me feel I had two horns and a tail. (Last time I checked I could not see them.)

Not had any real problems with the system here - I normally give them an extra week or so. Actually mine expired on 28th Jan, but I have been over the border and just got a 90 day stamp when coming back. So had better go this week, but won't see any of you early birds. I hate mornings' so will go at a civilised hour and then breeze through with my ancient husband, for as I have mentioned before, I have been told that anyone over the age of 60 does NOT have to queue. Of course,one has to be nice about it!

As to moaning about the system, it is nowhere near as bad as trying to get into U.K as a foreigner. IN any case, we are guests here!

littlejohn

Message Posted:
13/02/2010 01:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 30 in Discussion

Message 4 Before you lot bought en-mass the place was brilliant !!

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
13/02/2010 09:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 30 in Discussion

RE msg 22, MarieB: (...) I have been told that anyone over the age of 60 does NOT have to queue. (...)

=> TRNC-rumour # 2107..? Who told you? Where do you go to tell who your age?

matula

Message Posted:
13/02/2010 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 30 in Discussion

Msg 22. Marie at least in South Africa it was a one of. I can (and did) stand being termed as an alien for 34 years in S.A. as long as I didn't have to go through the shambles of the process which is an annual event here!

Maz

Message Posted:
13/02/2010 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 30 in Discussion

Australia was better than here - I got four years at a time as a Temp Res, but I am here now, so go with the flow.

And to our lovely Dutchman - i WAS GIVEN THE INFO BY A LADY IN IMMIGRATION OVER THE TELEPHONE!

As to disclosing your age, if you wish to, I assume you have a passport that tells the world - or have you managed to find a counterfeiter, cos if so, I would like to employ him and change my date of birth.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
14/02/2010 10:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 30 in Discussion

Did anyone see letter in yesterdays CT.

Complaining cos they arrived at opening time for the office ie 8.30 and were amazed to be told all numbers gone.

From dire experience, this system of having to be there very early has been going for at least 18 months, has been in CT in several differing stories and on all forums etc.

Sorry this is just another example of not checking. Plus I think ed at CT must have a sense of humour publishing such letters on a regular basis just to keep the rest of us amused.

girne 29

Message Posted:
14/02/2010 15:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 30 in Discussion

is you a you lot, same as we is a you lot, or are you a different special lot from we lot .

We lot is going to NC soon to meet other you lots but dont know if we is a you lot or a special lot if we only holiday.

girne 29

Message Posted:
14/02/2010 15:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 30 in Discussion

message 28 was to littlejohn from we lot, in reply to message 23.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
14/02/2010 16:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 30 in Discussion

Msg 22.

On the TRNC booklet it says:

"Yabanci". Guess what that means?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.