North Cyprus Tourist Board - EU Warranty Laws and VAT Reclaim
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > EU Warranty Laws and VAT Reclaim

EU Warranty Laws and VAT Reclaim

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

Carndi

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 14:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Just for information.

EU warranty laws give everyone an automatic two year warranty on all goods bought within the EU.

The European Community Product Warranty Directive 1999/44/EC give you the right to return goods for repair or be replaced.

Items which carry a guarantee of a limited period are superceded by the EU directive.

Never fill in a guarentee card given with a purchased item.

One other bit of info. Having spoken to people here I have found that they have purchased good in the UK to bring out here and have not claimed VAT .

VAT on items of £100 pounds or more can be reclaimed. When you purchase the goods ask at the shop for a VAT reclaim form. The shop has to fill in stamp the form. If you then contact Customs at the airport and let them know you have items which you wish to claim VAT on the will be ready on day of departure.

You do not get the full vat but about 90% of it.

PS. Dont write in and tell me we are not in the EU. I do know

nurseawful

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 14:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Carndi,

Brilliant info as I am thinking of getting a friend to bring out a new lap-top for me. thanks for that.

Chris

Brinsley

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 15:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Msg 1

I know for sure leaving the UK for VAT reclaim at the airport of departure for TRNC via Turkey a full refund minus administration charges are refunded airport side so long as the product is hand held in carry on cabin luggage with appropriate VAT refund receipt of point of purchase and declaration at the 'VAT office' airport land side before customs. Your first point of call is Turkey, which is not EU! However, it can be worked both ways, when entering the UK and if stopped for a carton or bottle or two over the limit just say 'I've come from Cyprus, EU'. Has worked for me on many an occasion, but that's probably because I get continuously stopped looking like a dodgy character!

Richard

doddies

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 16:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Richard, youv`e been lucky. Customs at Stansted know when a plane from NC/Turkey has landed. They watch you at the carousel collecting your baggage. They also direct you through the non EU custom hall.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 17:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Interesting about this EU warranty.

About 4 years ago we purchased a new Sony TV. We'd had it for about 15 months when out of the blue a line appeared across the screen. I tried the normal procedures like turing it off and on and unplugging the sky box and the dvd - but the line wouldn't go away.

I called the store and informed them and after checking their records advised me that the 12 months warranty had expired and there was nothing they could do. They referred me to the manufacturer - Sony. I called Sony Uk and explianed to them and guess what they referred me back to the store.

Before calling the store I carried out some research (as you do) and thinking I was ready to 'have a go' I called them.

negativenick

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 17:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

might as well put a link for naked hang gliding, all the relevence it has to the Brits living in the TRNC...

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 17:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

I remember speaking to a 'salesman' who tried to fob me off by saying there was nothing they could do, however, being persistent I asked to speak to a Manager who stated word for word exactly what the Salesman had said. At this point I quoted the Sale of Goods Act in that it was supposed to offer protection against faulty goods even when the manufacturer's guarantee has run out. The act says goods must last a reasonable time - and that can be anything up to six years from the date of purchase. I told the Manager that 15 months was not a reasonable time and that I was standing my ground on this and if the company was not prepared to deal with this then I would be taking the matter further.

The new TV arrived within the week. Touch wood it's still working )

Carndi

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 19:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

negativenick. Most expats here go home at least once a year and return bringing stuff they bought without claiming the VAT or knowing their rights when they purchase anything. There are others who buy extra insurance when they have no need to do so. Thats the reason I put the information on here.

I was waiting to see how many people answered before there was someone with a negative reply. It did not take you long.

ianwfs

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 19:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

To clarify outbound procedures. The goods must be available for customs inspection at the point where you submit the form. However Stanstead does not have an office, just a letter box, so there's probably no need to burden yourself with too much in your cabin baggage.

On the other hand, we're talking about high ticket items, so do you really want them in your hold baggage.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
12/02/2010 20:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

To message 1.

The issue would then apply when arriving in TRNC.

First you are only allowed to bring into the country, up to 135euro equivalent per person per item before duty must be paid. ie you exit through the red gate.

So if you bring in an obviously new lap top in your hand luggage, one confiscated laptop is a possibility. As ian states above, hide it in your hold luggage and who knows where it will end up.

So if you have your receipts when asked at Ercan and you have not paid VAT then it is probably more likely you will pay it here.

I always take the view that honesty pays. I have seen the consequences of people who try to cheat the system at customs and I would rather avoid it.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.