North Cyprus Tourist Board - Money for the North from the E.U
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Money for the North from the E.U

Money for the North from the E.U

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Banks Related Threads posted so far

» See North Cyprus Interest Rates

greylag

Message Posted:
18/02/2010 14:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/project-upgrade-north-s-sewerage-system/20100218

I thought that the North wasnt recognised by the E.U. could someone explain,

Grey.

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
18/02/2010 15:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

This was part of the money (E259m) promised by the EU to the TCs in the event we voted "Yes" to the Annan Plan in 2004.

Much of the money has gone on infrastructure works - especially water recycling.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
18/02/2010 15:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

Hi Greylag

The EU regard all of CY as being in the EU..it's just that the recognised govt doesn't have effective control..

http://ec.europa.eu/enlargement/turkish_cypriot_community/index_en.htm

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
18/02/2010 15:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

Judging by the lack of infrastructure, I would suggest that most of the money has gone into someone's back pocket !!

Good to see more 'infrastructure' money being spent on a water feature on the Girne roundabout. It's a pity that in order to drive to the roundabout you have to travel on roads that would not look out of place in a third world country !! So glad to see infrastructure money being spent so sensibly !!

Apologies for the cynicism, but the beleyedesi have lost the plot !!

Paul

greylag

Message Posted:
18/02/2010 15:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

Thanks for the link Mark,

Grey.

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
18/02/2010 15:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

Actually, there's been a massive overhaul of sewerage, waste-water treatment and water-recycling in Gazi Magosa and Lefkosa. All under EU audit and control.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
18/02/2010 15:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

Mark,

If there were to be a reunification, what do you think would be the effect of TRNC joining EU (proper) as part of Cyprus, as regards Objective One status and the regional policy of the EU?

RoC currently has objective 2 status, I believe, but the removal of chapter 10 might well push Cyprus as a whole into Objective 1.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 01:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

Dear Fiendishpaul

this link will help you understand where the EU dosh has / will go !

http://ec.europa.eu/enlargement/turkish_cypriot_community/aid_implementation_en.htm

Dear 'TRNC' Vaughan re 7

I'm guessing the whole of CY 'benefits from a lower %age of Euro average GBP... As they treat the whole of CY as an entity - I don't envisage any change .

For those wondering what the heck we are talking about :

http://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/policy/region/index_en.htm

Oleander

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 02:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

I understood that quite a lot of the money allocated to the North was being withheld?

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 08:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

mmmmmmmmm,

That would be my take on it, except that the EU would then concentrate its spending on the region that would be known as "Northern Cyprus" for the purposes of the policy.

"The Regional policy of the European Union (EU) is a policy with the stated aim of improving the economic well-being of certain regions in the EU. Around one third of the EU's budget is devoted to this policy, the aim of which has been stated to be to remove the disparities in wealth across the EU, restructure declining industrial areas and to diversify rural areas which have declining agriculture."

It is also interesting to note that the EU still classes what they call "Eastern Germany" as an Objective 1 region. As "Eastern Germany" has existed for about 20 years, yet is still classed as Objective 1, this suggests to me that "Northern Cyprus" may well benefit from O1 status for a similar time, to the detriment of what will then be known as "Southern Cyprus".

I would value your take on the above, what

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 08:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

you think this would mean to the 2 regions of Cyprus (for the purposes of the policy) and whether the RoC has taken into account the effect this would have on future EU funding on the island.

Troodo

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 09:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

The GC's have managed to put so many preconditions on EU money for the TRNC that even the politicians have had difficulty pinching any of it. Some of it has already been lost because of the Roc’s ridicules demands.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 10:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

Mark

Thanks for the links

My little rant was really just to point out that the Govt/Beleyedesis' appear to have strange priorities when spending money on 'projects'. Statues and fountains appear to be springing up all the time whilst my car suspension takes a hammering every time I go to the shops and a few rain showers flood half of Kyrenia !!Less statues and better roads/drainage would be my priorities.

Rant over

Paul

PeeCee

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 11:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

I have little doubt that the northern "region" of Cyprus would attain Objective One status - not necessarily the whole of the island. In UK we have had several Objective One regions - Northern Ireland; South Yorkshire; Cornwall for eg. It is granted where a region has low levels of infrastructure investment usually with high levels of unemployment and is generally seen to be falling behind. The funding received is considerable and targeted based upon and accepted plan (contrary to popular belief money is just thrown at a region). It is also audited, in my experience, to the Nth degree. Money sliding into back pockets is far more difficult to achieve that one might think. There must be audit route to both the plan and to the beneficiary and where this is cannot be demonstrated money is clawed back (painfully). And, fiendish paul, it is possible that it would be quite a discipline for the culture of TRNC.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 12:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

Dear 'TRNC ' V re 10/11

I really couldn't say .. I do not know the exact criteria for working out regional boundaries, etc. Not a cop out ... just don't know ;)

re 12

Troodo : Can we have some links to your theory that the 'rump' RoC has 'lost' funding to the 'north' through it's efforts to ensure it 'has a say' as the recognised govt ?

I'm not saying it hasn't.. I just like to see the facts ;)

Fiendish: a pleasure

PeeCee: well thought through, reasoned and explained.. thanks !

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 12:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

PeeCee,

If the North gained O1 status whilst the South stayed with O2 status, what would be the implications, as far as total EU funding to the island of Cyprus was concerned?

My view is that the North would gain to the Souths loss and I'm not sure if the RoC has currently taken that into account.

On reunification the North would literally soak-up EU money at the expense of the South.

PeeCee

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

No experience of coping with a bizonal country (if that is where we end up) However, on the basis of the UK experience, the funding allocated to Cyprus would be based on agreed data and a Plan for the country. As I said, I would be surprised if the Northern area/region/ zone was not deemed to be an Objective One area. The plan for Cyprus would, of course, reflect this and the funds would be allocated accordingly. However, it would not be possible (or sensible) to spend funds designated for a precisely geographically defined Objective One area elsewhere. Be assured, the EU will audit and in the context of the Cyprus problems as a priority I would guess. I don't see the "the soaking up EU funds at the expense of the South". The injection of funds designated Obj 1, as I said, MUST be seen to be spent in the Obj 1 area with an audit trail that leads directly to the plan and beneficiary. The Tendering for contacts for eg must be open/transparent and could benefit companies in "south".

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 14:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

PeeCee,

When I said "...the soaking up EU funds at the expense of the South." I meant that the lions share of EU funding that might be allocated in Cyprus would be in the area deemed to be the most needy, i.e. the O1 North.

Of course there is no reason to exclude the "South" from the tendering process and the funding cash being physically spent there, on schemes taking place in the North.

everon

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 15:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

the biggest waste of money is the television monstrosity by the town car park! what exactly is its purpose, anyone know x

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 15:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

everon

It is 'supposed' to earn money for the Girne Belideye. It has been installed and paid for by an advertising company and they give some of the advertising proceeds to the Belideye.

I have seen these in various other countries and it is a 'no brainer' as far as Girne Belideye are concerned, does not cost them any money and actually (in theory) earns them money.

AJ

everon

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 15:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

oh! does it work! I must have missed that! x

Troodo

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 15:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

mm. A few months back, maybe six or more it was in the papers. I am talking about EU money to the TRNC, not to the Roc. The GC's continually bitch about what it could be used for, until a time limit expired.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.