North Cyprus Tourist Board - health care insurance or not insurance ????
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > health care insurance or not insurance ????

health care insurance or not insurance ????

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See North Cyprus Insurance Related Threads posted so far

» Read Information about North Cyprus Property Insurance

hairdresser13

Message Posted:
18/02/2010 20:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 32 in Discussion

Could everyone please advise on the best course of action regarding health care whilst living in the trnc . Is it best to pay as you go (so to speak) or invest in a medical insurance ? thank Clair

the butler

Message Posted:
18/02/2010 20:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 32 in Discussion

Hi Clair,

We have discussed this and hubby and I decided to pay as you go. It doesn't seem to cost a lot to go see the doctor nor to get tests done at the labs. Even hospital treatment doesn't appear to cost anywhere near as much as the UK and I believe if you have an accident you are treated free. (I could be wrong on this) If you are relatively healthy this is the option I would take. Why pay for something you may never use?

The butlers wife

hairdresser13

Message Posted:
18/02/2010 21:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 32 in Discussion

hi thanks for the above , were hoping to move over in the next couple of months and it is playing on my mind becouse i have children and were so used to the nhs and if any thing should happen to just pick up the phone and help is there without the added worry of will i lose my home to pay for this treatment? On the bigger scale of things life will be better for us but (fingers crossed) im just crossing the Ts and dotting the I s before making the final leap (ha its only taken 4 year s) Clair

dalartokat

Message Posted:
18/02/2010 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 32 in Discussion

Message 2. What if one day you are taken seriously ill or have an accident can you guarantee you will be treated free or not become ill. What if your circumstances change suddenly. Personally PAYGo is too risky, better to take out Health insurance for peace of mind.

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
18/02/2010 21:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 32 in Discussion

dalartokat.

Where can you get Health Insurance for TRNC ?

Thanks.

dalartokat

Message Posted:
18/02/2010 22:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 32 in Discussion

Ballboffin, Health Insurance is a personal thing, its your decision and its not compulsory in TRNC, yet.

Many people agree that Health treatment in TRNC is good and thats fine for minor treatment and middle treatment but if your circumstances change can you be sure the right treatment is there for you with the right care. There have been many postings with people completely satisfied with their treatment and there is no problem with that. Private Health insurance is very expensive anywhere you reside and is classed as "dead" money. Where is the money coming from in the TRNC to give you free health care, the TRNC government has indicated in the past that it would like to make it compulsory. Its just my view and my experience that Healthcare would be the top of my list before moving to NC.

Bupa, Axa, Axa Koc. In Cyprus there are companies that advertise Private Health care but you would have to make your own enquiries to see if it covers Northern Cyprus

kaiserphil

Message Posted:
18/02/2010 22:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 32 in Discussion

When I had an accident, I was treated free. My Wife was not, but the charge was reasonable and she had much more treatment than I did.

However, as per message 4, anything can change in TRNC at the drop of a hat.

scruff

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 00:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 32 in Discussion

You can buy healthcare Insurance for the TRNC in the TRNC. it is not cheap & comes with the ususual exclusions clauses. It is cheaper than BUPA etc. though.

scruff

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 00:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 32 in Discussion

last message. I meant usual btw.

Afterthought. Like all private healthcare policies, it becomes more expensive as the risk increases i.e. as you get older & are more likely to claim.

SarahJB

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 19:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 32 in Discussion

Hi Guys

Would just like to say my company will be offering Health insurance within the next month.

If you would like to contact me

sarahbarnes9@gmail.com

For help and advice on health insurance

Many thanks

Sarah

cypgab

Message Posted:
21/02/2010 12:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 32 in Discussion

The BRS have an arrangement with a company - you could speak to them.

cooper

Message Posted:
21/02/2010 13:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 32 in Discussion

BRS details here - http://www.brstrnc.com/Health%20&%20Welfare/BRS%20Members%20Only%20Health%20and%20Travel%20Insurance%20Scheme.htm

Cooper

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
22/02/2010 11:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 32 in Discussion

We have health insurance through Expatriate Healthcare. It cost us around €750 each but the cover is very extensive. As with pretty much all medical insurance, it doesn't cover pre-existing conditions.

http://www.expatriatehealthcare.com/

For piece of mind, I wouldn't be without it.

Regards

Paul

cypgab

Message Posted:
26/07/2010 22:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 32 in Discussion

Not sure it would give peace of mind for those with existing conditions?

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 06:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 32 in Discussion

I have twice needed hospital treatment here.

The first time was an angiogram (1 hour of a cardiac surgeon and 2 assistamts and a very expensive machine) and the cost was 220tl incuding an overnight stay in the State Hospital, Lefkosa. It took 4 days to arrange and the typed results and a CD of the machine results were given to me after 1 hour.

The second, only this week, I had a badly infected wound on my leg requiring 2 nights in the State Hospital and full treatment and the cost was 44tl.

Pay as you go works for me. And I would rather pay here than wait 6 months for an appointment in the UK and then another 3 months for the results.

cypgab

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 09:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 32 in Discussion

Message 15

It's not a direct comparison John. If you pay in the UK you don't wait!

waddo

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 09:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 32 in Discussion

Being an old fart and with a life expectancy of somewhat less than people who are under 50, health insurance anywhere in the world is very expensive - even in the UK (try getting into BUPA when you are over 60 already!) and the same applies here. I could have always stayed in the UK and relied upon the NHS but then once over 60 with them unless I need a "high points score" operation most hospitals just stuff you on the waiting list until you either die or pay for it private! The sad part there is you normally end up paying the same guy/girl to do it private who would have done it on the NHS if they had not been so busy getting in there "consultancy" hours. State of the world I am afraid.

The point is if you are over 60 then it is going to be very expensive for health insurance as you are now a high risk and as we all know, insurance companies don't take risks with their money. The choice is yours, I have no health cover and now can't even afford it - guess I am doomed!!!

cassius

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 09:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 32 in Discussion

Why not set up your own insurance by placing a moderate amount into a high interest rate bank account and depositing a small sum in said account per month. (Even if the said interest is only 9% more or less) Drawing down on it when the need arrises.

This way you keep your money and it is available even if it were a pre existing condition. And, no arguments with people who like to keep your money, and available within days.

Cassius

malsancak

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 09:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 32 in Discussion

and now in the UK hospitals are cutting back on NHS operations such as hip replacements and cataract ops, in expectation of budget cuts. 6 years ago I was quoted a reasonable £150pm for the two of us but decided to take a chance instead. So far we have saved at least £10,000. It was a gamble which seems to have paid off BUT that is not always the case. If you can't afford the payments then you have no choice but if you can afford the monthly payment but have no capital perhaps the insurance is the best bet for over 60s.

deputydawg

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 09:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 32 in Discussion

I had health insurance here from age 62 to 65. Before contracting I asked position regarding premiums after age 65 and was shown a chart which detailed minimal rises up to the age of 70. At age 65 my renewal documents did not arrive. I spent 2 weeks on the telephone/visiting offices. Lied to time and time again. Finally they admitted that they did not give cover over age 65. They did not know that I insured both house and car with a different division of the company. When I threatened to cancel this they instantly apologised and offered cover at a massively increased premium. You can imagine what I said to that ! I am grateful that I had no health issues in this period and paying the premiums of many thousands of pounds brought some feeling of security. However, obviously, I also feel that I was scammed for my money. The only recommendation I can make is that if you commence insurance, for what it is worth, try and get it in writing % increases beyond age 65. Take care xx

waddo

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 10:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 32 in Discussion

Msg 19, agreed, if you can afford the payments then it must be the best bet for over 60's. We can't so we ride the knife edge I guess.

Msg 18, this was our plan and the best option for us when we got here - sadly bills and unforseen events erroded the capital to zip and now that option has gone away.

Possibly best for us now is - once fully settled - to save each month in an interest account and hope we have enough in there by the time we need it. If not we only have to save enough for the plot and the box and make do with that - got to laugh, its Cyprus and we love it anyway.

Having re-read my earlier post it may appear that I was having a dig against the NHS staff, not so, the dig is at the NHS system which is allowing poor service to happen. The staff, as always, are magic people.

malsancak

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 32 in Discussion

One way to check about the over 65 premiums is to put that age into the website payment calculator. Eg, expatriate health insurance increases for £180pm (63 & 63 yrs) to £217 (65 & 65) and to £277pm (70 & 70)

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 32 in Discussion

Message 16

The NHS is not free. You pay for it (expensively) through taxation. I pay now via the tax on my pension but I cannot use it because I have no UK address. What a scam.

But I hoped to reassure people who might be nervous about leaving the "security" of the NHS. The healthcare that I have experienced here is good, fast and cheap - so I do not worry.

I have additionally been told today that I need a femoral artery bypass (groin to ankle) in both legs. Unfortunately I must wait 1 month because my surgeon is going on holiday otherwise it would be done next week. That's 6 hours or so under the knife of a cardiac surgeon and all that entails including about 7 days hospital stay. The cost will be less than 4000tl. That's about 2 years insurance premiums. I still vote for pay and go.

barnaclebill

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 20:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 32 in Discussion

Msg 15

I have never heard of anyone waiting 6 months for an appointment and then 3 months for the results.

What you or anyone else forget to mention is that if you are seriously ill there is no waiting list on the NHS,that's why sometimes operations are canceled at the last minute.My heart bypass was completed within 10 weeks from initial diagnosis to discharge after op.

If i had the op in Cyprus it would have cost the following

(a) £10000 for op

(b) It would have been carried out in Turkey ????

(c) Cost of flights,accommodation and Hospital care in Turkey. ???

(d) Follow up care costs ???

Someone also mentioned age discrimination on the NHS the guy in the bed opposite me was 82 (triple Bypass )

By the way Triple Heart Bypass 4hrs 10 mins.My utmost respect to the NHS so stop knocking it or is your gripe because you aren't entitled to it

barnaclebill

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 20:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 32 in Discussion

To Hairdresser,

I would say try and get insurance for your family ,the best you can afford, at your age it should be relatively cheap.However be aware that if something serious happens it could really cost you.If you have a European health card you can always go down to the hospitals in the South.

I hope you and your family have a long and healthy stay when you move over

BB

nurseawful

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 21:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 32 in Discussion

Message 24

With the greatest respect you were very lucky that only had to wait for 10 weeks within the NHS some poorer inner city areas often have to wait in excess of 6 months for a bypass. Yes you may not have had to wait 6 months to see a consultant but the date of the actual operation depends on many things and can be cancelled at a minutes notice.

a I can't comment on as I don't know the price but will find out

b Medikent hospital carry out this op so why go to Turkey.

c &d N/A

And finally after working for the NHS I loved it warts and all but room for improvement! e.g. postcode lottey's.

Chris

barnaclebill

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 21:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 32 in Discussion

Msg 26

It was recommended that the operation be carried out in Turkey because of the expertise there.

Why is C & D not applicable you still have to pay for aftercare and you have to pay for someone to travel to Turkey with you and their accommodation.Most of the locals will tell you that they would rather go to Turkey for the more serious conditions

My point is if your ailment is life threatening there is no waiting list on the NHS,There is room for improvement but when the chips are down you are No1 priority money doesnt come into it.

I was also given the choice of which hospital I wanted to have the operation so you could really pick one with the shortest list.Sorry I cant comment on Inner cities as I have never lived in a City.I would expect that you would agree the biggest thing wrong with the NHS is too many Chiefs and not enough Indians and without the professionalism of the workers the NHS would not cope BB

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 21:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 32 in Discussion

My gripes about the NHS are twofold.

Firstly I have to pay for it but I am not entitled to it - that is a straight scam - but not the NHS's fault.

2nd the timescales/lottery - my friend was referred by his GP in Feb - got the tests done in May (despite 1 heart attack already), had an appointment in August to discuss the results - but died in July. My quote of 6 months wait was another less serious example. I do not knock the quality when you eventually get it, but the political system that prevents the professionals from doing their job as they would wish.

And with no respect at all because you write bigotted c**p - I was in the State Hospital Cardiac Surgery ward for my angiogram and there were several bypass patients in there - the 1 guy who spoke English had a triple. And I do not believe for 1 second that it would be £10,000. I will be 6 hours under the knife - major op, cardiac surgeon etc - and everything (op, hospital stay and all follow up) is under 4000 TL - less than £17

barnaclebill

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 21:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 32 in Discussion

Msg 28

May I extend you the same respect to you !!!!!!.

I don't give a s**t what you believe that was the cost quoted for the Op.Could it be that out of the 7 patients in there only the one who spoke English was in fact English or could he have been a TC who spoke English and the real English patients were in Turkey having there Ops.

AND i don't believe for 1 minute that 6 hours major Surgery costs £17.

You chose to leave the UK,NHS treatment is based on residency not what you have or have not put in

BB

nurseawful

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 21:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 32 in Discussion

Message 28

I gave my life to the NHS and am not entitled to treatment from it a wonderful institution set up with the best of intentions but abused by the many. North Cyprus in many ways is years ahead of the UK in the way they manage healthcare. Yes there is a lot wrong with it e.g. nursing care but on the whole no complaints

Chris

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
28/07/2010 13:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 32 in Discussion

Unfortunately I reached the 1000 character limit for which I apologise - that should have been 4000tl is £1700.

cypgab

Message Posted:
28/07/2010 16:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 32 in Discussion

You don't sound so jovial John.

Your experience is completely different to mine. Having had a heart valve transplant and a kidney out within 4 months and then a life threatening prescription drug allergy causing permanent lung problems and which resulted in an A&E admission, I'm still here and have absolutely no problems with the NHS.

I've also just obtained annual travel insurance covering all the conditions and allowing 50 days per trip in Europe including Cyprus and Turkey for less than £300. The BRS have details of a discounted scheme for Cyprus expats but I don't have any costing details.

Insurance is absolutely essential, and a must have.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.