North Cyprus Tourist Board - The truth of the two year temp. visa
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > The truth of the two year temp. visa

The truth of the two year temp. visa

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Maz

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 20:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 35 in Discussion

Just to let you know that today I double checked on the idea that anyone over 60 may ask for a 2 year temp visa when applying.

Yes, you can, but you also have to pay double. So, all it saves you is going next year to reapply. Seems a bit mean that it is the same paper work and the only difference is writing in the year 2012 instead of 2011 on the visa, but, if you don't fancy next year's hassle, you can pay up 370TL instead of 185TL and come and go for two years.

Hope that might help someone who is undecided.

joanie1

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 20:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 35 in Discussion

Thank you Marie but please could I just ask who actually gave you that information. I watched this thread with great interest a while back and mentioned it to a friend of mine. He phoned someone in immigration in Nicosia and was told it was completely untrue and that everybody regardless of their age had to apply annually.

Mind that was three weeks ago and things change!!!! I personally would be more than happy to avoid the hassle - ok you pay double but it is for two years and maybe in that two years some bright spark in immigration (like the driving licence office) might think about the cash flow and ask - how many years - 1, 2,5 - 10??? Last yearI got a 10 year driving licence and being realistic about my age that one will see me out!!

Joan

Maz

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 21:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 35 in Discussion

Know what you mean about the drivng licence, Joanie1. I got 10 years, but my husband went for only 5 cos he is older than me!

O.K. who told me? A young lady, this morning in Immigration in a special office all her own (well with a helper). Her name was given to me by someone pretty high up in politics, and she even queried something I had been told about Permanent visas. The BRS are now saying that one can go to the local police station for Ins and Outs and also for clearance. Never used to be that, so this lovely lady chec\ked for me, a\nd confirmed this was now the case, but that it would takea little longer to get thepaperwork back.

So, I confirm that from the horse's mouth I was asked this morning if I wanted two, and I said 'no' cos I am going for Permanent (which are not being granted due to the imminent elections (hmmmm!!!!) BUT i AM GOING TO APPLY, cos, as you quite rightly say things change.

I won't give you the name of the person in public, but I would like toknow

Maz

Message Posted:
19/02/2010 21:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 35 in Discussion

to whom your friend spoke. Can;t imagine it was the same person. Also the wording in an official letter I had a month ago, such info having been obtained form immigration stated "if a person is 60 years old he/she can be given a two year permit for residence if asked for."

So, I suggest your friend goes back to Immigraiton and ask again. I must admit that often no two clerks seem to have the same answer.

I will not reveal the source from whom the letter came as he does not want to have his name mentioned, but he got the info from the Minister involved in immigration.

Hope that helps.

scruff

Message Posted:
20/02/2010 00:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 35 in Discussion

Thanks for the info. MarieB.

It is of course the perogative of officials to withold their name. But it's not very helpful though for people like myself & others who wish to go for 2 years residency in one go, at a later point this year. If we don't know who to speak to, then how can we ensure that we are not fobbed off?

What are the officials so worried about? Reminds me of the UK, years ago, when Civil Servants, Public Servants & other Commercial staff, refused to divulge their names.

It seems that this is still a problem in the TRNC.

Maz

Message Posted:
20/02/2010 00:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 35 in Discussion

Sorry Scruff, if I misled you. The person who doesn't want their name given is the former leading politician who wrote to me giving details which he had got from the Immigration Department. I was given the name of the lady who deals with the BRS, and it was her that I saw.

Before I give the name, cos the poor girl could get inundated with people asking for her help, maybe you could check with BRS (assuming you are a member). I am not, althogh I know lots of nice people who are.

The lovely girl that I saw admits that the laws keep changing, but perhaps I could suggest that

#(a) you check with BRS, and if you have no luck

(b) tell me and I will speak to the young lady I saw and ask her where you should find ABSOLUTE truth. If she then says to contact her, I will give her details.

Does that sound fair?????

This place does have its oddities, doesn't it, but the truth is there! Do come back to me if I can help more.

racoonchic

Message Posted:
20/02/2010 08:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 35 in Discussion

its a disgrace the way they treat the elderly

Geoff

Message Posted:
20/02/2010 09:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 35 in Discussion

I don't understand why they cannot copy the south - a friend of mine there tells me the residence permit is granted for life as they are EU Member State. And the fee is 25 Euros each. I am 66 and here I have to apply annually - I was told I cannot get one for 2 years, maybe different over in Girne?

Geoff

Famagusta City

malsancak

Message Posted:
20/02/2010 09:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 35 in Discussion

Geoff, now don't get me started about EU citizens in the TRNC being given the same rights as in the south. I'll be chaining myself to the parliament railings and demanding a vote for all EU citizens after 5 years residency. Perhaps I'll do this on 8th April along with the HBPG picnickers.

Mallard

Message Posted:
20/02/2010 10:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 35 in Discussion

Message 3 & 4 - I am Joannie1's friend.

I 'phoned the immigration office last month and again on Thursday. I spoke to the same person on each occasion (unfortunately I didn't get her name but recognised her voice as she speaks perfect English). I was told that one cannot get a two year visa, that there is no special dispensation for anyone over 60 regarding queing etc. and that it is not true that you have to have a Turkish/Cypriot bank account - all they require is any bank account showing your name.

I have also contacted the BRS about this subject. They referred me to their website which, when I last looked did not concur with what I had been told regarding bank accounts and has not been updated since September last year date!

I will be happy to pass on the 'phone number I have if anyone wants it.

negativenick

Message Posted:
20/02/2010 10:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 35 in Discussion

no good for us "young ' uns".....

mamachina

Message Posted:
20/02/2010 16:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 35 in Discussion

We applied last month - and while at Police Station at girne asked for a 2 year one this time - told no way! So I said but it was in the paper last week with amount required - a laugh - still "no" so didnt bother to pursue it further - maybe should have done when we went to collect residency this week??

Maz

Message Posted:
20/02/2010 18:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 35 in Discussion

yES mAMACHINA, you should have stood your ground. Or got in touch with me, and we could have gone together (I followed you two days later.

And to Mallard, please let me have the phone number so I can follow through if it is the same as mine, bec\ause I believe each number is individual to a particular office.

But it is typical of this place that the';left hand does not know what the right hand is doing' and was talking today to someone who told of a friend trying to find 'truth' over something. They spoke to six different civil servants in the same government department and got six different answers.

So what chance do we have. But maybe it owuld be good for M

scruff

Message Posted:
20/02/2010 19:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 35 in Discussion

Hi MarieB

Well it looks like another of these problem areas doesn't. I was told personally that someone they knew had been given a 2 year temp. residency since the beginning of 2010. Un fortunately I do not know the person in question (a male) but I can make further enquries. I do not know for certain, but would suspect that this person is over 60 & lives in the Ozankoy/Catalkoy area. I will follow this up next week & try, if possibel, to get contact details for the person who achieved the impossible.

I do know that this person did not ask for 2 years, but was asked if he wanted 2 years & had sufficient money with him when he went over to Lefkosa to get his passport stamp done.

I will report back, but in the mean time with you follow up with your contacts & perhaps quote the evidence to your political contact. He may think it is happening, but it seems that this is not the case.

We just have to keep chipping away at this.

Finally I am not a BRS member.

contd.

scruff

Message Posted:
20/02/2010 19:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 35 in Discussion

Some of the postings above indicate that information available from the BRS is as usual out of date. I visited the BRS website only yesterday & was saddened at the lack of information on their website. Is this to stop non members finding out this sort of stuff.

Newly arrived expats would do better searching the Bulletin boards for info. than having to rely on the BRS website. Following the elections last year (including an ex. Tory MP elected) & the hype about change, I am sorry to see that the new committee members seem to have spouted some hot air & so far seem to have achieved less than their predecessors, who were sometimes unfairly lambasted.

New BRS. Sorry to say 1/10. Please try harder.

scruff

Message Posted:
20/02/2010 19:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 35 in Discussion

Sorry for the typos in my last 2 posts.

Finally, I noticed that there was a mention of the cost of the mythical 2 year visa being double that of a one year residency. Unfortunately, I wouldn't have expected anything different in the TRNC.

However, there is likely to be a saving, because Temp. Residency now increases in price every year by around 6%. Increased yet again this year from 175 TL to 185 TL. So at the very least, you will avoid a price increase for 2 years. Also you will only have to get & pay for the Muhtar's letter just once. Yet another small saving. Last but not least, you will save the usual time, petrol & aggravation of the annual visit to Girne PS & then to Lefkosa. The last item is the most important in my case.

Maz

Message Posted:
20/02/2010 19:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 35 in Discussion

Just a quick response that

(a) No I am NOT A MEMBER OF B.R.S. (but know some nice people who are)

(b) My husband and I WERE offered two years just yesterday morning - fact. I declined because I said I was going to apply for Permanent so not worth b uying two years temp.

AND I WAS OFFERED THIS IN THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE BY A MEMBER OF STAFF!!!!!!!

sO, i AM SURE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND WHY I AM CONFUSED THAT OTHERS ARE REFUSED.

But yes, Scruff, I will make further enquiries, and I really DO be,lieve that your friend got it, and others too - the mystery is why are some refused. It can't be their perfume, can it, because some have asked over the phon e.

scruff

Message Posted:
20/02/2010 23:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 35 in Discussion

MarieB

Just a final post before putting this one to bed, for now.

There must be some common factors in this issue. I think we've established that you must be over 60.

I only know of one person, so far, who has got this. Not a friend. A Male & probably a solo male & probably over 60. I will be able to confirm these details shortly.

It sounds like he, like you, didn't ask for it, but was offered it.

So is this part of the reason? You mustn't be pushy & ask but wait for 2 years Residency to be offered.

Other reasons, may be, how much money you have in the bank?

How many Temp. Residencies you've already done?

Do you leave the TRNC or stay in the TRNC each year?

Your hair colour or maybe the people you know.

It really should be possible to get to the bottom of this though.

Maz

Message Posted:
21/02/2010 00:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 35 in Discussion

Nice thinking - so to answer your comments:

1. Hair - my husband is bald and I am peroxide blonde - so what common link do we have here.

2. My husband is 80, so definitely well over 60.

3. Money in the Bank - miniscule compared to others, and we didn't have to show our Bank statement in U.K with the ov erdraft!

4. This is our 6th temp res, so maybe they look for those who have been a while and mean business!!!

5. Hardly ever leave - this is our home - maybe that is part of it.

Or maybe they like our blue eyes! What is the colour of the male who got 2 yrs?

As to saving, if I had not thought of going for Permanent I would have taken the 2 yrs, to save the aggro.

But I want permanent for many reasons - you can be out of the country for 6 months instead of 3, and, and, and

But let';s see if we can get to the bottom of this (and NOT Oscar Wilde style!)

Mallard

Message Posted:
21/02/2010 10:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 35 in Discussion

Marie B - here is the 'phone number I have for immigration - 0392 6111013. If it is different from yours perhaps you will let me have it as my residency is due for renewal on 15th March. By the way this will be my fifth year and i have never had any problems. Personally I am not worried but I do think all this contrary information is very disconcerting for new comers especially regarding income details. In all the time I have been applying not once has any figure been mentioned.

As a member of the BRS I do find some of the information provided on their website innacurate and given the questions being asked on this thread confusing and misleading. If any authoratitive body should have definitive answers it is them and no excuses for 'goal posts', being moved they should make sure they update the information regularly!.

scruff

Message Posted:
21/02/2010 14:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 35 in Discussion

Hi Marie

So there are some similarities between our position & yours & some major differences.

9th Residency aapplication due in 2010.

Ample funds in the Bank to more than satisfy likely rules. Both of us over 60 at last renewal, but 2 years not offered in 2009.

No trips whatsoever to the UK. or Turkey. I last went to UK. in 2004. This was my only visit & my husband has never been back since we arrived. Obviously (or maybe not)we have been South, but not since May 2009. One trip to Turkey in 2003.

On the face of it we seem like ideal candidates for 2 yrs, since we are clearly resident.

So why not?????????????

Maz

Message Posted:
21/02/2010 17:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 35 in Discussion

To Scruff, I would say that I think this 2 year thing is fairly new. Don't know for sure. But when you go this year, ASK! Of course by then it might be changed again.

It does seem to be a bit of 'who you know' but maybe you and Mallard should take it up with the BRS, as the contact number I have in Immigraiton is the lady with whom BRS deal. So, Mallard, it is different to yours. So, in fairness, I think you should go back to the BRS if yoiu are a member and get them to give you a definite answer after checking with the Department itself.

Perhaps you could persuade them to update their web page, and also inform us all here as to what they know FOR SURE.

And sorry Malalrd, I won't give our a phone number unless I have permission - but I will ask the lady in question for you - if I can get hold of her. She rarely answers her phone!

scruff

Message Posted:
23/02/2010 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 35 in Discussion

MarieB. Latest update on this.

I have now discovered 2 sets of people who have been given a 2 year temporary Residency since 1st January. One a solo male aged 65 yrs. One a couple, where the wife is only early 50s & husband over 60. This would seem to indicate that aged 60 is not neccesarily a factor.

Obviously I do not know about financial situation in these cases. I do know that the couple return to the UK. frequently, so that isn't an issue either.

However, most importantly, in both cases, these people were offered 2 year Residency. They DID NOT ask for it.

Additionally, I have heard that when people have asked for this in the last 2 months, they have been turned down, despite saying "so & so got it" or it was in the Paper. These protestations have been derided.

So maybe MarieB you could on behalf of others, readdress the issue with your contacts at Immigration & the political contact, that you mentioned. I'm sure all that want to go the 2 year route, would be grateful.

rigsby

Message Posted:
23/02/2010 16:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 35 in Discussion

It must be better to get two years if you can.The way prices go up annually.

Mindy

Message Posted:
23/02/2010 16:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 35 in Discussion

My neighbours went to Lefkosia yesterday and got 2 years no probs, yes it is double the price but saves you hassle next year and petrol and your time..

Maz

Message Posted:
23/02/2010 16:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 35 in Discussion

O.k. sCRUFF. I will do what I can, but I expect it will take a few days. Unfortunately I am off to U.K for a few days, but when I am back I will find the time to see my contact in Immigration and try to get some info that can be put in the media.

So, patience. And I will take all the info above with me. More than a bit of clarification is required. I will also go back to my politician, when I can.

Sorry that is not immediately helpful, but the chances are by the time I find out the 'truth' the goal posts will have moved again!

Brinsley

Message Posted:
23/02/2010 17:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 35 in Discussion

Has to be of benefit as the annual fee is increased as a matter of course and then the savings of photocopies and the Mukhtar cost let alone the time wasted. The decision is surely made in Nicosia not at the Girne Police Station.

Richard

scruff

Message Posted:
23/02/2010 18:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 35 in Discussion

Girne Police are definitely not interested & do not have a say in it. Thanks MarieB for your offer to recheck. It is clearly not reasonable that some are getting this & others not unless there is a good reason for some being turned down. It would just be nice to know why?

Mindy re msg. 25

Did your neighbours ask for this at Lefkosa or was it offered?

Mindy

Message Posted:
24/02/2010 18:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 35 in Discussion

I understand it was offered but not 100%, could be they heaard of it whilst waiting, they went in at 7.45 and came out at 2.45. So had lunch out as the staff have to have their customary 1 hour 45 mins lunch break. Which gave them the oppurtunity to visit a bank for more cash.

Bertie

Message Posted:
24/02/2010 22:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 35 in Discussion

Got mine today 2 years 370 TL

scruffdog

Message Posted:
25/02/2010 10:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 35 in Discussion

MarieB why are you going for permanent residency? I understand it is over 1000 tl, you have to have a medical in Nicosia and you have to apply now because it can take up to 6 months, this would equate to at least 7 single years, with all the fees. A friend who has applied via the rep at driving school, so know the back doors, has had hers rejected, because she has been out of the country for more than 90 days, from the first day she arrived here, not as we have been led to believe 90 days per year. They have put in an appeal.

Maz

Message Posted:
25/02/2010 20:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 35 in Discussion

Know what you are saying Scruffdog, but when I came I wanted to aim for Citizenship in 5 years, which it was in those days. The government keep moving the goal posts, but I am prepared to follow their edict as I would still like to become a Citizen. This is my home, this is my life, and I would like to vote and even pay taxes etc, etc, so permanent residency is a step in the right direction.

I heard about the weird case of your friend and I don't understand because the rule book says 90 days A YEAR. I would be interested to learn about their appeal.

One advantage of Permanent is that although costly, it does entitle you to be out of the country for 6 months of the year, and that could be valuable if I had a compassionate reason for being out of the country.

And I know all the negatives of applying and that is why I am applying NOW. I also know at the moment it is being said by the Department that no one is being given Permanent because of the forthcoming elections! (No further comm

Maz

Message Posted:
25/02/2010 20:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 35 in Discussion

Oh, and you forgot to mention and so did I, that one has to get a list of Ins and Outs (again) and a Police Check to prove you are not a wanted criminal. I alsoknow how tough it is for some foreigners to get Visas for U.K, and also for Australia, so I am prepared to go down whatever path the government has said - and I might get refused - and then go for the two year visa, by which time the goal posts may have moved again! But, as they say, 'This is Cyprus.'

scruffdog

Message Posted:
26/02/2010 09:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 35 in Discussion

Good Luck with your quest.

quackers

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 15:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 35 in Discussion

Hi Marie B I see you are flying from Larn airport on 22-4-10 so am I can we share transport my flight leaves at 5pm to Manchester Mike Q 0533 8889577

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.