North Cyprus Tourist Board - Planes, trains or automobiles?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Planes, trains or automobiles?

Planes, trains or automobiles?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

nalan

Message Posted:
06/06/2007 12:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Easy enough question right? Well it has to be when you are traveling from England to Cyprus but this family have chosen a more unconventional means of transport. Yes, me and my family has "cleverly" chosen to hop in our car and make our way through countless countries and travel the thousands of kilometres to Cyprus. No im not joking and yes i need help. I'm starting to already regret this decision as I have two children who both get carsick driving to our local supermarket! So what i'm begging of you - the wise reader - is to tell me HOW!!! My family and I have never travelled long distances before and we are basically lost. My husband who has a phobia of planes thought it was a good idea but we dont know what route to take, which ferries to cross over on, which countries to go through and most of all where to sleep at night! I'm in desperate need and anyone who has taken this journey before please tell me what you did. Thank you for reading NOW HELP!!!!!!

sungoddess

Message Posted:
07/06/2007 20:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Bit of a strange answer, I know, but Dolphin Movers drive removal vans to North Cyprus from the UK all the time - perhaps they might know a good route! Their web site is http://www.dolphinmovers.com . Otherwise, try routemapping sites such as http://www.multimap.com , or http://www.viamichelin.com for suggestions. They will also tell you the toll charges on motorways, etc, and the mileage, so you know what you are letting yourself in for. I would suggest planning a route that takes in interesting places along the way, and take your time. That way, the kids will be so keen to see the next place on their great European adventure, the miles might slip by more easily! Another thought is to consider motor-rail for parts of the journey to cut down on the driving, but this is never a cheap option, it has to be said.

Oknala

Message Posted:
08/06/2007 02:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Honestly, that's life, I only threw out the directions we had for driving, given to us by somebody who had done it, 2 days ago. We wanted to bring a car over, but then decided because of the tax situation not to... They drove over 2 years ago, and it took them 6 days, easy going, and they enjoyed it. Some of the ferries only work in the summer though. Do you have a month to spare to travel + enjoy holiday + drive back?

I'd be tempted to smack husband-who-has-phobia-of-planes over the head, and just tell him to get on with it. I speak as somebody who used to get paralized with the idea of flying - ruined the holiday on the way out (I WON'T GET ON THE PLANE) - I did eventually, enjoyed about 3 days of holiday before having to worry about flying back... My husband used to say to me, basically, shut up, get on the plane. I can't believe I'm now one of those bored-to-death-when-are-we-flying people at the airport..

Try this site, it's the AA routeplanner site, if the link does not work, do a google search for AA routeplanner.

http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/planner_main.jsp

If you are still determined to drive, let us know on this site, and I will trawl through my 'saved favourites', 'cos I'm sure the link for driving is still there somewhere, think I got it off the msn villa owners originally, erm, I think. I'm so organised....not

nalan

Message Posted:
08/06/2007 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

thank you very much the links where a great help

Oknala

Message Posted:
13/06/2007 22:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

I did try to forward the e-mail I got with the map on it, did you get it?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.