North Cyprus Tourist Board - Bellapais to Buffavento on foot?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Bellapais to Buffavento on foot?

Bellapais to Buffavento on foot?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Bellapais Monastery North Cyprus

caulkhead

Message Posted:
27/02/2010 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

This is probably one for Hans.

Some friends and I were thinking of walking from the top of Bellapais to Buffavento Castle when we are next out. I know there used to be donkey treks up there many years ago but is there a track that is easy to follow. Also how long and hard is the walk please? Any local knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
27/02/2010 13:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

RE msg 1, caulkhead: I've checked some new and very old maps and haven't found any 'easy' tracks. However, on Kitchener's map of Cyprus, detail 05-1 (1878-1881), I found tracks leading to the location of Buffavento. I think most of them will still exist as mudpaths used by shepherds, hunters etc. I cannot give you a judgement about the difficulty of the route - I haven't done it yet, but certainly will try your nice idea!

caulkhead

Message Posted:
27/02/2010 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Very many thanks for research on this. We might try it and see how far we get. Somebody told me that in the 1960's there was someone who did tourist trips up there by donkey. I wonder if there are any old tourist brochures in existence. Thanks

wanderer

Message Posted:
27/02/2010 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

The road that runs above Bellapais by the white church turns into a forestry type track that is quite good or was in June last year some great views We did not go all the way as it was too hot

What its like after yesterdays rain I don't know

Ibrahim the guide at the Abbey organises walks in the spring

Panchocat

Message Posted:
27/02/2010 16:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

My husband and a friend walk a lot in the mountains, on very steep and difficult tracks. They have tried but failed so far to get from Bellapais to Buffavento castle. They have said they do not think it is possible. However you can get most of the way and the views are spectacular, I have seen the photographs they have taken. The track they took to Buffavento was an 8 hour round trip time from just above Bellapais.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
27/02/2010 17:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Msg 3, caulkhead: (...) research on this. (...)

=> If you mail me a blank email at hd@allcrusades.com I'll send you a jpg (cut out) file of Kitchener's map, so you can find out which mud tracks still exist.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
27/02/2010 17:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

RE msg 4, wanderer: (...) Ibrahim the guide at the Abbey organises walks in the spring (...)

=> My good friend and TRNC guide (Bellapais Abbey based) İbrahim Kalyoncu ( KITREB, "Kıbris Türk Rehberler Birligi" or "Cyprus Turkish Tourist Guides Association") can be reached for tours and appointments via: 05428857328 or via email: ibrahimkalyoncu@gmail.com .

caulkhead

Message Posted:
27/02/2010 17:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Thank you all very much for your advice.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
27/02/2010 18:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Attention of caulkhead: I hope you do the walk Bellapais -> Buffavento and it may interest you to know that a Dutchman did Buffavento -> Bellapais a long time before you. Just found this in my archives: "In 1683 Cornelis de Bruyn, a native of The Hague (Den Haag in the Netherlands or Holland), stopped at St. Chrysostomos monastery to the south of the Kyrenia range before scaling the ruins of Buffavento, and then following the mountain ridge to the west (evidently by way of Vouno and the Kakoscala Pass), descending eventually to Bellapais Abbey set amongst the citrus groves. etc. (...)

More here: http://allcrusades.com/CASTLES/CYPRUS/BELLAPAIS/Cloister/van-bruyn-txt-1.html

Or manual: http://www.allcrusades.com (choose: Special section: Northern Cyprus. Choose: Page 2. Choose Bellapais Abbey. Choose: Extra: Cornelis de Bruyn.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
27/02/2010 20:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Caulkhead, I received an email from Ibrahim Kalyoncu, which is a kind warning and worth passing on to you: "By all means it is not an easy walk moderate to hard it is especially if you tried to do it uphill from Bellapais Ambelia Holiday village past the water tank. The track is marked on the book but you can easily loose your way with the mix markings if you dont have somebody who knows the walk with you. It is true there are some magnificent views and also vegetation on the track. You must be prepared to have a transport on the other end.

snd1966

Message Posted:
27/02/2010 21:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Agree with Hans its hard we were out ten hours and walked from the castle to bellapais using main road and tracks. very foot sore plus take a good gps mapping system we had our N95's and would of gone off route several times. take lots of water. A lovely walk is savyon village to bellapais or savyon village under buffavento about 16 km

lucienne

Message Posted:
27/02/2010 22:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

I think that Carlo from Bellapais Gardens organises walks to Buffavento.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.