North Cyprus Tourist Board - problems at the Metahan crossing
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > problems at the Metahan crossing

problems at the Metahan crossing

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

mikelapta

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 12:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 23 in Discussion

Have been to Larnaca several times last year with no problems.

Yesterday,Saturday tried to cross in a friend's new car (I was passenger)

Was not allowed to get insurance,because we did not have road tax for the South.

And,of course,it was Saturday,and the policeman who issues was not there,and office closed.

So we had the hassle of finding a taxi to catch flight from Larnaca.

Is this a new rule?

Anyone else have this problem?

Mike.

Groucho

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 23 in Discussion

Mike is it the MOT cert for the south you mean? If so, no it's not a new rule.

From bitter experience (4 years ago when our car was brand new) you need to take the registration document to the MOT office at Metehan, and it is not open 24/7.

mikelapta

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 12:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 23 in Discussion

Groucho,the Greek's English was limited.I understood it was road tax.Maybe MOT,on a car not 3 months old?

I did not have to show last year on a very old car.

Oh,this paper you get on weekday's only,lasts for a year.

My friend and I have both agreed,pay the extra and fly from Ercan.

Incidentally,taxi from Metahan to Larnaca was 40euro.

spider

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 12:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 23 in Discussion

Yes mike it did to us last year too..we had no road tax..and this is what will happen.And yes i too had to had get a taxi to the airport...after all its down to us to get both insurance and road tax..

How true.!! whats new.?

Spider,X

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 13:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 23 in Discussion

A few things about this - it's not a new thing, it's required for all cars, it's annual, it's free, you need your car registration documents to get it, the office is only open weekdays and as far as I remember only in the morning. I would also advise getting whoever is going to drive the car in the South is named on this (MOT/Road tax/whatever it is) document as on the insurance document we had issued at Metahan it specifically says that the drivers should be named on both documents. Can't remember the exact wording. On this last point you may have to insist as they seem reluctant to add more than one name.

Maz

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 19:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 23 in Discussion

It is sad that not so long ago, the MOT issuing office was open the same hours as the insurance offices, so it was not a problem. Then the Government Officewrs went on strike or some such and everything changed, so you have to make sure you collect Mon to Fri a.m. (Government hours, or some such). Bit of a bind as it means you have to go over the border to get it and then come back. No way round having your in and out stmap either.

And yes, it is free, and valid for a year. And it applies to all cars.

It IS a bit of a bin d, and for flying from Larnaca, I don'ty think it is worht it, especially if you are parking your car over there. Definitely better to find a friend who will help, or fly from Ercan.

Groucho

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 19:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 23 in Discussion

As far as I know this office is on the Greek side and staffed by GC's please bear this in mind before anyone has a pop at the TC's.

TheStonedCrow

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 21:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 23 in Discussion

Mesg 3

There is no difference between new or old cars OR young or old people and

no difference who you are this has been the same since the gates opened

as for the GREEK person not speaking much English did you not converse with

him in Greek or do you expect the whole world to speak to you in English !!!

TSC

Dusterbruce

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 21:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 23 in Discussion

The joys of flying from Larnaca!

Texas

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 21:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 23 in Discussion

They let me off twice before, when the Tax office was closed.

Of course I treated them with respect and they smiled and told me when the office was open.

I could have been cocky and said the Turks should have carried on to Larnaca, but I doubt if that would have helped!

Maz

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 21:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 23 in Discussion

Hope no one is blaming the TC's and hope no one thought I was! It is a law on the other side. Personally I always speak in Greek, cos I don't see why I should expect everyone to speak English. (just a bit too arrogant that and guaranteed to put people;s backs up). My Greek is not much cop, but a kalimea and parakalo etc, can bring a smile to the sternest face, but you cannot change the law that says you MUST have a Greek MOT which is available only on the GC side and at the appropriate times.

Of course, I am not sure what conditions the GC's face when they come over, do you.

spider

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 21:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 23 in Discussion

Marie...your last comment, I for one have never seen on this side a tax,insurance,or MOT.office for the GCs to stop at and get ant documentation,But they seem to drive over here.!! Perhaps someone somewhere could explain.!!

Spider,x

girne 29

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 22:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 23 in Discussion

message 8

"as for the GREEK person not speaking much English did you not converse with

him in Greek or do you expect the whole world to speak to you in English !!! "

Mike just said the greek person had limited English,which was true,and that presented a problem which was also true.Why does that make you angry? Anyway was it not the language of the courts up till 89 and of legislation till 96,so finding someone speaking English is hardly rare.

He didnt say he expected the person to speak English or for the whole world to speak English., and he probably didnt converse in Greek because Mike doesnt speak Greek. Using your logic ,I would have needed to learn 20 languages in my travels.

If I tell you in good faith that its easy to get lost when travelling in Beijing transport system because all the signs are in Mandarin and no-one speaks English,you would translate that into me expecting the Chinese should all speak English, and asking why I didnt speak Mandarin to station staff

Tootie

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 22:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 23 in Discussion

They can all understand English if & when they want too.

Texas

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 22:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 23 in Discussion

It's ROC CAR TAX, not ROC MOT.

Simples. (Squeak).

carollynne

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 23 in Discussion

Crossing from the south to the north, the only paperwork I have shown is my insurance document for the north and my passport.

Carollynne

karakum5c

Message Posted:
28/02/2010 23:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 23 in Discussion

Take a British Challenger Tank with you next time and see if they run or ask for the right documents !

Being Greek they will run !

And blame everyone else for their predicament.............its the Greek way !

Maz

Message Posted:
01/03/2010 00:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 23 in Discussion

Spider, there are Kiosks that say where to buy Insurance when you come over form the south. I guess in the main we don't notice them, but look next time. And I think it is pretty pricey. As to MOT, maybe not. Don't know, but as to the lady who says she just has insurance, I don't understand how she gets it without one of the Greek docuyments, because I can never get insurance unless I have my greek document, which I understood was M.O.T, but even if it is Tax, makes no difference, yhou have to have it.

Maybe the lady in question bought an annual insurance, or she has been doing to a different insurance booth to me.

Ionly know that I had to turn back a couple of years back because I was not allowed to buy insurance, and no way was I (and the people I was with) going to pay for a taxi.

But rules, is rules.

And as to 'them' speaking English - some of them are good, but there are many who speak very little English (apart from the foreign E.U. workers!). And why should they?

newscoop

Message Posted:
01/03/2010 00:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 23 in Discussion

Marie;

The lady you refer to lives in the south and as stated has north insurance.

As to cost, they get a hefty discount if they get long term as opposed to one month.

carollynne

Message Posted:
01/03/2010 06:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 23 in Discussion

MarieB,

You are quite right I do have annual insurance, but prior to buying annual insurance, I used to purchase monthly or 3 monthly insurance. The only document I have ever shown to purchase insurance for the north of Cyprus is my passport.

rdsteve

Message Posted:
01/03/2010 07:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 23 in Discussion

I think the reason that if you are in the South you only have to buy insurance is because the South is in the EU therefore all paperwork is recognised in the North and bearing in mind the North gets EU money there must be a tie up somewhere due to Cyprus being in the EU (only my surmisation so please don't jump on me for it). Unforunatly the North is only recognised by Turkey so that is why the South wants you to have roadtax. I believe you do not have to pay for it but display it so they can see your car is taxed. Don't think it is an unreasonable request. New rule in the South from last week that a RoC registered car must not have stickers in the front window that blocks out windowscreen area. Yes you have guessed it you don't have to display a tax disc. Police have palm held computers that they put your reg number in and it tells them wether the car is taxed, insured and MOT. Only just got to grips with speed guns palm computers LOL

Steve

nostradamus

Message Posted:
01/03/2010 07:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 23 in Discussion

Isurance south to north is much cheaper - have just renewed an annual policy here (although not at the border) and it was only 80 euros.

keithr

Message Posted:
01/03/2010 08:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 23 in Discussion

Last year I helped my new neighbour by going with him to Larnaca via Pila border. I/we didn't know about this document,so he got a lift from some very good TC's and came back in a taxi to the border £30.00 from the airport !!

I sat in no mans land and practised my turkish with a charming lady called Rabiye Sahir, who sells the greek side insurance and even had dinner with her and a couple of customs guys !!! Lovely kofte and spinach with yoghurt,shame my neighbour arrived back halfway through !!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.