North Cyprus Tourist Board - ECHR makes landmark ruling on Greek property in Istanbul
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > ECHR makes landmark ruling on Greek property in Istanbul

ECHR makes landmark ruling on Greek property in Istanbul

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» List of North Cyprus Estate Agents

» See All North Cyprus Estate Agent Related Threads

» North Cyprus Property Development Reviews

» Property Buying Guide to North Cyprus

» Read about Orams Case Land Dispute Judgement

» North Cyprus Title Deeds

» Is It Safe to Buy in Northern Cyprus?

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
07/03/2010 17:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

A bit of a twist to recent events:

'THE EUROPEAN Court of Human Rights (ECHR) yesterday upheld the right of Greek nationals to inherit property in Istanbul, which is denied under Turkish law.'

Read the rest here:

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/echr-makes-landmark-ruling-greek-property-istanbul

AJ

Mr Vince

Message Posted:
07/03/2010 17:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Is it me? I thought that Turkey had never signed up to any European laws. If this is the case then how can the ECHR find against them?

Once upon a time Unjust laws were challanged in the courts of the relavent countries. Now it seams to me that European courts have taken over from an independant country's jurisdiction.

I might think that the law on inheritance in Turkey is wrong but the law of the land is the law. It must be down to the government of that country to change the law, not have change imposed upon it. I might not agree with cutting off a hand for theift, or death by fireing squad for drug smuggling or even releasing child murderers after 8 years and allowing them new identities and protection from identification....but these are the laws and should be upheld by the country involved.

Lilli

Message Posted:
07/03/2010 19:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

yes but didnt greece once own constantiople, now istanbul. oh well if this is whats going on now ireland are in the eu i go after my grannys house and further back and become a rich landowner in ireland xxxxxxxxx

WAZ-24-7

Message Posted:
07/03/2010 20:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

This is indeed good news for property owners in the TRNC.

Displaced persons now have legal basis for claim, compensation and recourse for any property loss.

The ruling takes some sting out of the Orams judgment and will enable a more defined path to property issue settlements.

cooper

Message Posted:
07/03/2010 20:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

This article was published in September 09 !!

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
07/03/2010 20:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

coops

You are right, silly me I only saw the date of the paper at the top of the page. But reading the last sentence:

'If Turkey does not appeal against the ECHR ruling within three months, then the court will award damages.' So I wonder what happened? I certainly do not remember either the original topic being posted anywhere or any subsequent news.

Its a mystery to me.

AJ

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
07/03/2010 20:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Coops

I have just realised that it has to be a wind up. Seriously is it at all possible that those involved in the litigation have the following names? ' Ioannis and Evangelos Fokas' and ' Polyxeni Pistika'.

The mind boggles.

AJ

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.