North Cyprus Tourist Board - ECHR News in Economist Magazine
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > ECHR News in Economist Magazine

ECHR News in Economist Magazine

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Follow North Cyprus News with Cyprus44 News

willyhoops

Message Posted:
12/03/2010 08:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

http://www.economist.com/world/europe/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15663646

Optimistic observers hope a decision by the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg may speed up the peace process. Instead of taking their property cases straight to Strasbourg, Greek-Cypriots must now apply first to an “immovable property commission” in north Cyprus, established by Turkey, that has powers to restore property or award compensation. The alternative, says Achilleas Demetriades, a Greek-Cypriot lawyer, “is to wait for a political solution”—perhaps indefinitely.

willyhoops

Message Posted:
12/03/2010 08:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

The ECHR decision is a timely boost for the pro-settlement Mr Talat, who faces a tough contest to win next month’s presidential election in the north. ... After the ECHR ruling, Mr Talat has made up ground in the polls. He is just six points behind Mr Eroglu, down from 20 points a few months ago. His defeat no longer seems inevitable. If he is re-elected, the peace talks will gain fresh momentum. ...

It helps that Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the Turkish prime minister, is showing more interest in a Cyprus settlement. Earlier this month he took the unusual step of inviting a group of Greek-Cypriot journalists to Turkey. When asked about the withdrawal of the 35,000-odd Turkish troops in the north, Mr Erdogan made clear that, if a settlement were reached, they would leave...

willyhoops

Message Posted:
12/03/2010 08:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

The article is saying that the ECHR have completly pulled the plug on the GC legal assult on Northen Cyprus property owners. And the expectation that now the GC's have little change of getting any substantial compensation without a political settlement they will be motivated to accept a peace deal. Also the TC's will be motivated to do a deal becuase at last the EU can no longer be said to have totally let them down.

Groucho

Message Posted:
12/03/2010 08:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

The ECHR is not the EU... the EU continues to let them down.

willyhoops

Message Posted:
12/03/2010 09:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

This relief might be much less the Northern Cyprus deserves, but it is still massively important to the economy of NC and a boost to the peace process. The Orams case was in my opinion a near fatal blow, and it has now been completely reversed. We can all breathe a hell of a lot easier now.

I think the EU is a lot closer to enlightenment than national governments. Look how NC was abandoned by the UK despite her moral obligations. Only the US seems to care, and that is because of ulterior motives. Unfortunately the EU is crippled by unanimous decision making, so Greece and Southern Cyprus can veto any pro Turkish moves and horse trade with other member state for punitive action. I suppose it was inevitable that the only way Northern Cyprus could get relief was by the European Court Of Human Rights which can operate outside this political circus.

willyhoops

Message Posted:
12/03/2010 09:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

This government should note that a launch a raft of legal actions itself against GCs. TCs have EU passports, they can sue on the Greek side and appeal to the ECHR. They could sue for damages as a consequence of the embargo and the lack of direct flights for example. Democracy these days is so dysfunctional that legal action is the only way to break the gridlock. The Americans are famous for this approach, eg Obama is trying to get Climate Change implemented via environmental law instead of political consensus.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
12/03/2010 14:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Dear Willyhops

1/ The EU's 'legal arm' is the ECJ - who ruled it was legal for a UK Court to enforce a Judgement from the RoC

2/ the ECHR is the body that sits in judgement for members of the Council of Europe - of which Turkey *is* a member.. Their rulings AREN'T enforceable - but members wouldn't join up if they didn't agree to be bound by the rules... right ?!

SO.. it matters not a jot what the citizenship of any claimant for redress might be - just that any act considered inappropriate be committed by a member state

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
12/03/2010 15:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

mmmmm did you see the ECHR going the way they did

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
12/03/2010 16:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

YES and I even prophesied it years ago ...

when all the fuss was going down re the Orams I DID say that the 'rump'; RoC govt were foolish not to ENCOURAGE GCs to use the IPC and that this ruling -- when it came - would be FAR more important than the Orams'

I got the Oram's result bang on too ;)

Rottolover

Message Posted:
12/03/2010 17:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Don't think you were QUITE on your own there, sixems...

newlad

Message Posted:
12/03/2010 17:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Well done Mark.Spot on as always,

Paul.

negativenick

Message Posted:
12/03/2010 17:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

mmmmm's got my vote....

If only i'd have listened to him in his "Markey Mark" days......

negativenick

Message Posted:
12/03/2010 17:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

mess 1, 2 & 3 - willy Baby, if i'd got a missus that looked like your's, i'd be spending more time on her than spending endless hours typing this load of twaddle........

willyhoops

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 08:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Well done for predictng it, wish I had known. I didn't see any headlines in Cyprus Today saying "It's not the End OF The World Yet! The ECHR may strike down the ruling!". I am not sure I really agree with the points about the ECHR and the EU being miles apart. The courst is in Strasbourg and comes out of the Council of Europe who mage the nice blue flag with the yellow stars. The Council of Europe has 48 members, more than the EU, and includes Turkey and Russia, but from wiki "Cooperation between the European Union and the Council of Europe has recently been reinforced, notably on culture and education as well as on the international enforcement of justice and Human Rights".

Today's Zuma makes the same point with headline "European court’s judgment on Cyprus issue legally wrong, politically correct" ... "Yet, despite all of the European court’s favors, Turkish authorities continued to sell their cheap propaganda that the court has always discriminated against Turkey..."

willyhoops

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 08:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Negative nick- you are right, thanks for advice. Anna sais hello and hopes you having fun in Thailand with your missus

-----

P.S. the link on the Zuma article (ran out of space) was:

http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/news-203839-109-centereuropean-courts-judgment-on-cyprus-issue-legally-wrong-politically-correctbr-i-by-i-brorhan-kemal-cengizcenter.html

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 09:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Dear Rotto re msg 10

Please could you search on here and find someone who stuck their neck out [ posted on here] on both rulings and got it right.... Come on Izzie, back me up here ! :D

I'm sure there was those who hoped / thought they knew what the outcomes would be.. but did they get the *reasoning* right as well ? ;)

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 16:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

I'm sure there WERE those.. before Hans picks me up.!

WAZ-24-7

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 17:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Mark,

Ok you got it right like many have, will and continue to do so. I do remember some very biased comments against Ex-pats that have purchased in the North.

I detect a changing of the spoys on the leopard. Your experience in the main, I believe, is predominantly from your time in the South and now your comments seem very much more concerned with issues in the North.

Whilst your comments are often usefull. I think your wish to secure brownie points for getting it right is somewhat showmanship.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.