North Cyprus Tourist Board - Where does one buy poison?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Where does one buy poison?

Where does one buy poison?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Hippo

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 06:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 45 in Discussion

An excellent meal in a restaurant with good friends, fol owed by Allo. Allo ( absolutely wonderful by the way) reasonable early night with the promise of a lie in this morning, perfect thought the Hippo.

Four thirty it started bloody barking dogs, my usual retort is to open the window and give them A quick 'Shut the F up'

This usually has absolutely no effect but wakes up the neighbors who then go and remonstrate with the owner and Hippo sleeps on.

However lately this maneuver has failed to work, maybe they have become immune to Hippo's bellowing.

The moron who is the dog/s owner must be stone deaf, he is certainly brain dead because despite polite requests he still keeps at least 4 of these howling menaces with the sole purpose of denying Hippo doze time.

Requests to the belidier go unheeded (obviously another cousin twice removed on Uncle Abdul's side) gentle reasoning, suggestions of doglicide, doping, relocation preferably to the Karpaz all have no effect.

Hippo

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 06:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 45 in Discussion

Before the animal lovers mount thier steeds and ride to the rescue of the side pouches.

Hippo has absolutely no intention of feeding his canine torturers with poison i was thinking more of the owner.

And further, before i am accused of being a townie and these a sounds of the country i assure you nothing is further from the truth.

This is a serious problem inconsiderate dogs are why there is poison spread around, sort out the problem of overpopulation by the trouser sniffers and you will eradicate the Medici's amongst us.

Now if you see a post by Hippo that is timed at anything from 3.30am onwards you know the reason why.

negativenick

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 07:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 45 in Discussion

the pleasures of living in alsunjack, i'm afraid,,,,,,,

Groucho

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 07:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 45 in Discussion

I have very sympathy with Hippo...

We lived in Alsancak for 13 months, not one of them restful due to the proud owner of Bare Hill holiday park whose brilliant idea it was to keep his guest (I can't think more than one would apply) up all night by tying the barking-est dog in the universe to an olive tree behind his apartments right next door to the villa we were renting.

The barking was constant and continuous. The poor dog was left there day and night but slept during the day. It was often without water and certainly starved of attention. Being left chained to the same tree day after day after day - you can only imagine the state the surrounding area and the dog got into.

We 'Frontlined' the dog to get rid of the ticks it was covered in.... and gave it water when we realised it was thirsty.

The owner was oblivious to the plight of his dog. Which I might add was a lovely friendly thing.

Sleep deprivation is a torture method widely used...

gazmufc78

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 07:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 45 in Discussion

Dogs barking especially in the summer can be very annoying. Unfortunately the owners of such dogs are not fit to keep a goldfish. I don't know what the answer is but know that this noise can drive people to their wits end with sleep depravation. i suppose that talking to the owners is really the only chance you'e got but I'm afraid that sometimes there's no point knocking if there's no one in!!!!!

Hippo

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 09:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 45 in Discussion

What the Hippo would like to know are thier any laws regarding noise abatment.

Or how about an ASBO for Fido

airy____fairy

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 10:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 45 in Discussion

I am the owner of 2 dogs in Alsancak that bark loudly during the day and at night.........but usually only when one of the following occurs-

children tease and throw stones at the dogs

other dogs come into my garden and use it as a toilet or eat my cats food (usually this at night )

people come into my garden and steal my fruit from my trees

the hoca call to prayer

now please tell me how am i to stop the dogs from barking in these circumstances 2 of which are them protecting their property - as that is one of the resaons i have dogs??????

sorry but dogs all over the world bark - i dont even hear any of the dogs around me anymore the same as the hoca call to prayer - it is just part of daily life.

sorry hippo pillow over head??????

Hippo

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 45 in Discussion

Being a dog owner for the vast majority of my life, having had domestic pet dogs and working dogs i would never tolerate incessant barking of animals under my control.

I agree a dog barks when the reasons that you illustrated happen and I can understand or tolerate that. What I find totally unnecessary is continual barking.

To me a constant barking dog is either unhappy,hungry hurt or board.

Agree or disagree?

airy____fairy

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 11:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 45 in Discussion

hippo - I agree - but what to do ????????

Groucho

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 11:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 45 in Discussion

"or board. "

Hippo, you must mean Spotty dog from the Woodentops!

Airy fairy your love me love my dogs attitude is symptomatic of the problem that causes dog poisoning. Sorry Rachel you give dog owners a bad press...

BAGS we have a dog and he is in at night and does not bark at the moon, other dogs or anything else at night unless he is really disturbed by things like cats fighting outside etc.

It is irresponsible to allow your dog to spoil somebody else's enjoyment of their own home especially at night. common decency dictates that your neighbours address the issue but therein lies the problem...

airy____fairy

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 11:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 45 in Discussion

groucho - you obviously didnt read my post correctly - or you would see the reasons my dogs bark are out of my control

I don not have a love me love my dogs attitude - but it is impossible to stop the children throwing stones over my fence at the dogs I have tried - also my dogs lşke to join in with the hoca call to prayer - and when 3 other dogs come in my garden at night what do they do?????? of course from their nice kennel they bark

Groucho

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 45 in Discussion

I did read you post very carefully - your dogs are within your control.. or should be. It's your responsibility to keep them from annoying your neighbours.

I bet if you lived next to the chief of police you'd have been in the slammer by now!

airy____fairy

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 12:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 45 in Discussion

i disagree with your comments groucho - how am i to stop children from throwing things into MY garden OVER my fence AT my dogs ?????????? I have chased many a child up the road and spoken to them ( and in one instance the parents ........and they still do it .....and before you say anything YES they understood me as ı speak turkish)

my initial point still remaining the same - although I sympathise with hippo and others sometimes barking is out of the owners control - although I agree with hippo not in all cases!

boglefan

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 12:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 45 in Discussion

Hippo, why don't you get up in the dead of night and steal the dogs and bring them into your garden and see how your neighbours like to be wakened by barking dogs in your garden. (joking of course). What about earplugs?

Hippo

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 12:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 45 in Discussion

I still maintain that there is a reason that a dog continually barks, one bark or even a succession of barks I agree is reactive , continual barking at the dead of night is unacceptable and constitutes a public nuisance.

A responsible dog owner would ensure that there neighbours expected enjoyment of there property is not affected by there animals.

I also maintain that a large amount of the dog poisoning that is carried out is reactive to noisy dogs.

Eliminate one and you eliminate the other.

Pipie

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 12:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 45 in Discussion

Give them a nights supply of dog chews !!

puppylover

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 45 in Discussion

Hippo

I feel for you as sleep deprivation is a terrible thing to suffer and can lead to other health concerns.

Although not the same as your problem,we also had a problem with a dog that lives directly opposite us and is owned by a British couple.

Whenever the owners or visiting guests went in their pool the dog would run round the pool not barking, but yapping almost to a screech.

The owners made no attempt to chastise the dog.

Several visitors to our property who heard it questioned if the dog was in distress.

We were aware that when the male owner dived in the pool that the female owner had taught the dog that "daddy was the sea monster!"

My husband's attempts to politely point out the annoyance to us and others were met with "this is Cyprus, what do you think you can do about it?"

Typically, holiday makers on our complex complained to us about the problem but did not want to get involved as "they were on holiday".

Things came to a head when we returned from a day out

puppylover

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 16:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 45 in Discussion

with friends and as we got out of the car the dog jumped over their low garden wall and attempted to bite my ankle.

Luckily, it only got hold of my trousters. This was not the first incident in regards to the dog going for someone, it had done it on two previous occasions.

We went to the local belediyesi for advice and they said that they would sent someone out to have words with the owners in regards to the continual yapping, which they did.

While I was in the office they contacted the police and I was directed to Lapta police station who took the complaint in regards to the dog going for me very seriously.

The police said that the belediyesi would deal with the noise complaint and they would also visit the owners and instruct them to keep the dog under control.

The neighbour's received a visit late that night and were told to restrain their dog.

We received a follow up call from the police and were told that if they received any further compliants from us or anyone else....

puppylover

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 16:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 45 in Discussion

then they had the power to shoot the dog.

This certainly was not our intention as we believe it is the dog owners that are at fault, not the dog.

The owners very quickly put up additional fencing and also gates to both their path entrance and driveway.

Both the police and the belediyesi who visited this couple commented to us that although the dog was a problem they believed that the female owner was as much of a problem........says it all really.

spider

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 17:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 45 in Discussion

Thank goodness i keep all our 3dogs indoors each night,they all love their sleep just like their owners...we even make sure our cats are settled inside too.Hippo try ear plugs.i use them but not for the barking mad dog over here i never hear any of them,its because Mr Spider snores i never hear him now,or the alarm clock..hence i never rise too early.If i get a sleepless night its because of back pain,now thats as bad as barking dogs,can reduce me to tears..try the ear plugs.good luck..

Spider,X

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 45 in Discussion

I don't believe in using 'Lanate' poison, even for the most annoying/vicious dog - but don't do what my New Zealand neighbouring farmer did when he couldn't stop one of his dogs continually barking.

Wozzat?

Well, he strapped a stick of dynamite to a nice, juicy bone, lit the fuse and threw it to the dog................the dog grabbed it and ran under the house..............!!!

Talk about a shower of sh1t and sticks!

dizzycows

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 17:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 45 in Discussion

Well thats cruel tenakoutou if its true! NZ does treat its animals rather like disposable nappies..... replaceable......

Plus folks cant go blowing up dogs in NC, they need help and advise as to how to overcome barking dogs...

hattikins

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 17:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 45 in Discussion

So what advice can you give with regard to barking dogs, it's a common problem here.

airy____fairy

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 18:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 45 in Discussion

so we end up back where we started - it depends on what causes the dogs to bark as to how to solve this problem .

Hippo ....................what have you started....................... back to the pillow suggestion

dizzycows

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 18:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 45 in Discussion

Dont honestly know what any one can do, as think its same old problem, the owners just could not care two hoots who they upset....

Its just too many dogs in NC, poor hipps, what about leaving a radio going or a fan, as we find that if we keep the fan going of a night this drowns out a lot of the noise.

I know you will say 'dont like the fan noise' but we find the humming sound a lot easier on the ears than the barking...

scruff

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 18:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 45 in Discussion

I certainly don't think it's fair to keep dogs outside 24/7 where they will bark. Also leaving cat food outside at night rather encourages other dogs & cats to enter the garden? I have never really understood why people have pets & then keep them chained up or in kennels outside. It seems totally unfair to your neighbours. I don't own a dog (choice) but do own a cat, who mostly spends every night indoors. Fortunately cats do not bark.

If you aren't prepared to take total responsibilty for your animals & their actions, then you really should not have them IMO. Also maybe limiting the number of animals (especially dogs) might help too. All this applies equally to Expats as well as TCs.

swannee7

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 19:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 45 in Discussion

What amazes me is that all that barking seems to fall on deaf ears regarding the owners of those poor dogs. Are they out all night or something ? Don't they have a wife or other relative/s in the house who also hears what goes on and is sleep deprived? The same problem exists down south, especially if you're away from the heavily populated town areas. A lot of those 'rural barkers' are hunting dogs and are never treated as a pet so always live outdoors. Wonder if there's something similar going on in NC ? All animals (people included!) need companionship and decent living conditions to behave 'normally'. Deprived of this they go berserk. I think Puppylover's detailed account of her experiences gives a good pointer. Report the problem/s to your local belediyesi and to the police - and keep fingers crossed.

andrew4232

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 19:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 45 in Discussion

barking dogs leave the dogs an shoot the owners

Groucho

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 19:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 45 in Discussion

"Hippo ....................what have you started....................... back to the pillow suggestion"

What has Hippo started?

Airy it's not what you start it's what you don't finish... dog ownership is not a right it's a privilege. Each dog owner is responsible for the behaviour of their own animals. If they won't be quiet outside (near others) at night they should be housed inside or removed.

Anti-social behaviour from dogs starts and ends with the owner.

I do appreciate that you have a problem with interference from outsiders which is not of your making but if the dogs were not there the problem would not exist..

airy____fairy

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 20:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 45 in Discussion

Groucho - this is a topic that goes round and round and round in circles ....... I honestly do not know what the solution is it depends on each case individually surely .... because it depends on what the cause is to start with it is not just as simple as a barking dog is a problem - must be the owner.

so how does one go about finishing it groucho??????

loulouis

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 21:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 45 in Discussion

Airy Fairy so how does one go about finishing it . with poison i presume . irresponsible dog owners are a pain in the butt and deserve everything they get.

Loui.

Groucho

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 21:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 45 in Discussion

Leaving dogs outside at night is a problem if you can't keep them quiet. That's an end to it.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 21:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 45 in Discussion

I've got the definitive answer - Geronimo!

Ya just front up to the owner, smile and say: 'As far as I'm concerned, you can stick your dog's nose up my dog's arse!'

The owner then suffers an apoplectic fit, followed by an immediate coronary and within a coupla three days someone comes and takes the pesky critter away.....you hope!

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 21:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 45 in Discussion

Msg33 Cont'd:

PS. This new method of mine may not work every time, but then again no method will, you may get spat at, or slapped, or kneed in the knackers - but, at least, and this is the important factor - you haven't actually insulted the owner himself, plus you'll have a good laugh as well!

spanna

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 45 in Discussion

There is no easy answer...

I agree with many of the comments posted and also feel that irresponsible dog/ pet owners are one of the key factors that have lead to poisoning becoming so commonplace.

We have a dog who stayed outside at night and she, like airy fairy's dogs, used to bark at night if cats or other unwelcome visitors came in to our back garden or if she was spooked. Although her barking was only occasional, we were aware of the annoyance this might cause to neighbours so now keep her inside at night and it has solved the problem. She sleeps, we sleep, everyone sleeps.

Having said all that, we have had our dog poisoned right outside our house and, despite the poison probably being meant for the local strays which roam around, my dog didn't read the sign so didn't realise it wasn't meant for her! Fortunately, we were close by and were able to get her treated quickly and she was fine... poison isn't the answer to barking dogs. It isn't selective. Cont...

Groucho

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 45 in Discussion

If you leave your car unlocked and the keys in the ignition... and kids nick it for joy riding, the noise of which activity annoys the neighbourhood. That's a problem... To try and stop it you remove the keys and lock it up...

If your dog is left out at night and kids think that's a prompt for them to throw stones and the dogs bark. That's a problem... To stop it you might need to move the dogs indoors... if you don't want dogs indoors you must find some other solution.

it's not good enough to excuse yourself from respect for other people's well-being and dare I say, sanity, on the basis that it's outside influences at work.

spanna

Message Posted:
13/03/2010 22:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 45 in Discussion

In the same way as it is suggested dogs shouldn't be left chained up all day/ night etc... neither should a dog be confined to walking only on a lead or wearing a muzzle - just because poison may have been laid for strays who interfere with farm animals or bark all night etc. It is, as with the human world, a case of the responsible and law abiding majority suffering because of a few irresponsible individuals who see no harm in laying poison arbitrarily or allow their dogs to create an nuisance....

I can't stand it when people harm dogs/ pets, owners or not, whether through poison, neglect or mistreatment.

Hmmm... that's better.... rant over... Sleep well, Cyprus 44... Hope you do, Hippo!!

Hippo

Message Posted:
14/03/2010 05:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 45 in Discussion

5.46am- they have been at it now for at least an hour.

nurseawful

Message Posted:
14/03/2010 07:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 45 in Discussion

Hippo,

Go to the butcher this morning and ask for a couple of big beef bones, give them to the dogs tonight and they should be too busy munching away to bark. Good luck

Chris

p.s. Most butchers will give them to you for nothing.

Lilli

Message Posted:
14/03/2010 08:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 45 in Discussion

poor hippo no easy answers im afraid. those poor dogs must be so distressed x

Hippo

Message Posted:
14/03/2010 10:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 45 in Discussion

I'll tel you Lilli it wont be the dogs that will be distressed if this carries on much longer it will be the owner.

Now at 10am its quiet,just the infuriating hum of the washing machine.

Navek

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 11:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 45 in Discussion

A blonde and her husband are lying in bed

Listening to the next door neighbor's dog..

It has been in the backyard barking for hours and hours.

The blonde jumps up out of bed and says,

"I've had enough of this".

She goes downstairs.

The blonde finally comes back up to bed

And her husband says "The dog is still barking,

What have you been doing?"

The blonde says,

"I put the dog in our backyard,

let's see how THEY like it!

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 45 in Discussion

At the risk of exposing myself to the intense wrath of dog lovers everywhere, there is another simple method:

Wrap a coupla three Aspirins up in a ball of mincemeat and toss it over the wall - that'll silence the rowdy dog - for good!

There ya go, Hippo - YOU asked, 42 messages ago!

sylvie

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 12:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 45 in Discussion

put you dogs into your house night time so they will protect you and do not bother the neighbours, we had a dog, we never had this problem with our neighbours because, first, we wanted to sleep ourselves and second the dog has been trained - education is the main thing for dogs or humans !!! so when people start to get crazy when not sleeping at night, do not wonder if there is poison everywhere ! i am an animal lover but the responsabily belongs to the owner - we had not far from our house a neighbour with 3 little dogs always barking - the owner of the apartment told them to move out because they didn't want to keep their dogs inside during the night ,they are gone now !

sylvie

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 12:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 45 in Discussion

puppylover, we have done the same and it seems to be ok now -

spider, we are a real dog lover and you care about the others not like certain people- selfish and careless- they should live in the desert !

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.