North Cyprus Tourist Board - insect bites ,monthly injections
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > insect bites ,monthly injections

insect bites ,monthly injections

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

roblyn

Message Posted:
15/03/2010 15:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 40 in Discussion

Went to an afternoon gathering in Esenepe.Avon ladies selling their products

Purpose to buy the skin so soft insect repellant.

Ironically whilst there I got well and truly bitten by what seemed to be ordinary house flies. No one else seemed to be affected. I spent the whole time clawing at my feet Now taking antihystamin for the irritation

I'm taking brewers yeast tablets in an effort to make myself even more obnoxious than I already am. Eating marmite.Using the SSS after the event

Reason for this post is I saw a post that mentioned a pharmacist who offered monthly injections.

Used the search engine but unable to find it.

Please can anyone help to find that posting It's only March.I'll be a skeleton by May

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
15/03/2010 15:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 40 in Discussion

The chemist just past Supreme in Catalkoy do these. It is in the same block as Mardo.

JoanneM

Message Posted:
15/03/2010 15:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 40 in Discussion

Are they pricey? and do they actually work on everyone, I am covered in scars from bites, can't help scratching them and antihystamins make me drowsy.

I've also heard about garlic based tablets to stop them biting, does anyone know anything about these?

jimmy

Message Posted:
15/03/2010 16:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 40 in Discussion

I rember going to the karpas last year standing right at the end where the land meets the sea & there was this one fly ( like a house fly ) that would not leave us alone & the bite from it was unreal - it flet like a pin but when you looked down there was only this little fly - ended up getting back in the car cos it was havin a right go at us.

Lilli

Message Posted:
15/03/2010 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 40 in Discussion

i would be imterested in the injections also, the blighters love me.however the avon works on me i buy it by the bucket load xx

Carmel

Message Posted:
15/03/2010 17:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 40 in Discussion

This injection is completely successful - for me - the cost last year was 10TL. I usually have the first one in April and then about every 4 - 6 weeks. I'm sure they still bite me but they don't affect me at all.

You should certainly try it anyway - nothing to loose except awful bite marks etc.

roblyn

Message Posted:
15/03/2010 17:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 40 in Discussion

Thankyou everyone I shall be down there at the first opportunity

Vidal

Message Posted:
15/03/2010 18:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 40 in Discussion

Anyone know what they inject you with?

nurseawful

Message Posted:
15/03/2010 18:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 40 in Discussion

I can only think it is a Vit B injection as to my knowledge there is no insect repellent injection available. You can also take Vit B complex in tablet form.

Chris

roblyn

Message Posted:
15/03/2010 18:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 40 in Discussion

Could it be an antihystamin? Though they may then still bite the reaction is reduced?

I'll ask when I go.

I'll try anything.I have a bad reaction to biting insects anywhere not just here. Have often ended up with antibiotics because the bite has become infected

Thanks again everyone

booitsme

Message Posted:
15/03/2010 18:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 40 in Discussion

I think the injection is Kenalog (Triamcinolone) it does nothing to repel the little biters but is used as in supression of infammatory and allergic disorders. It used to be used on a regular basis years ago in the UK for hayfever but was stopped and only used in extreme cases as it's pretty heavy duty stuff.

If you suffer from drowsiness with antihistamines try Cetirizine or Acrivastine (if that's available here). The usual dose for Cetirizine is 10mg once daily but can be taken up to 20mg twice daily. Acrivastine is up to one capsule three times a day.

I haven't found anything that stop the flies biting but Thiamine vitamin B1) does stop mozzies, you do smell like marmite until the body gets used to it but no-one else seems to be able to smell it on you! The other alternative is the lemon stuf that the locals use to freshen up. To keep stinging insects away in the garden keep a chopped up onion on the table Hope this helps.

roblyn

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 13:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 40 in Discussion

Thanks booitsme. I'll give vit B1 a go, (assuming I can get it here) together with the brewers yeast,the avon product and the lemon freshener. I'd prefer to pong than itch.

If I'm still on the menu after all that then I'll go for the jab

Pippie

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 14:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 40 in Discussion

Roblyn, you poor thing. It sounds as if you have the same problem as I do (when I don't use my one and only successful repellent). I didn't use it a few wks ago on a sunny afternoon and was bitten all over my legs which then swelled up to the size of a 5pence piece each and weeped for a good week.

I use something called Mosquit-Ex. Someone has told me on this forum that you can pick it up on Amazon which I didn't know. I could only ever find it in the airport (next to the Factor P20 suncream). It's not cheap - £15.75 last time I bought - but it lasts a long time and the swines never get me when I wear it. It was developed for army personnel working out in Africas years ago. It's dynamite and lasts on your skin at least 12 hours but don't wear nailvarnish cos it melts it, and don't lick your fingers cos it tastes vile, even a few hours later!

Good luck whatever you decide.

Pippie

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 14:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 40 in Discussion

I've got one bite on the back of my little finger that I picked up on Saturday (I'm always forgetting the backs of my hands with the mozzie repellant!!). Anyway, it's driving me mad, all blistered up. If anyone can recommend anything for the itching, I'd be grateful.

decanddyl

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 21:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 40 in Discussion

My wife had the injection earlier this month and although she still has bites the reaction to them is noticeable.

The cost is TL10. Only wish there was a chemist on the West side of town that did them.

decanddyl

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 00:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 40 in Discussion

It's an anti-histamine injection Fantastic result no more itching no more scratching myself I was advised by the pharmacist to take vitamin B tablets (which are vile) The combination of both seem to be working, very few bites no itching.

Last year from February onwards I was plagued with bites I tried every lotion and potion available all failed !! to this day I still have dozens of marks where I was bitten last year so fingers crossed I have found a remedy that suits me.

msg 14.

Last year during the day I used burn relief spray the type that freezes the skin at night I used sudacrem (baby bum cream)

Cathy

tulik

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 08:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 40 in Discussion

With regards to the injection has anyone experienced side effects? I am also concerned about a pharmacist not a doctor/nurse giving the injection. What training have they had?

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 09:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 40 in Discussion

tulik/Msg17: If your 'friendly' pharmacist has the same mindset as most of the 'friendly' advocates, one can really appreciate your concern!

booitsme

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 40 in Discussion

Tulik the usual listed side effects for Kenalgo are the same as for any corticosteroid - gastrointestinal disturbance, acute pancreatitis, muscle weakness, insomnia, confusion, irritability, nausea, headache, vertigo, urticaria and these are just some of the effects. Should not be used in pregnancy or in breast feeding and caution should be used if epileptic or any history of psychiatric disorder. These are the usual listed side effects which may or may not be experienced but any drug has side effects!

It seems to be common practise here for pharmacists to give injections as they are a very popular choice here for giving medication. I know some people who had this injection last year given by their pharmacist and suffered no ill effects, bearing in mind they also give flu jabs and antibiotic injections. The choice to have it is with the individual. I would be tempted to advise trying oral antihistamines first before using something that is long acting.

roblyn

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 15:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 40 in Discussion

Pippie thanks for the empathy.not planning on going through the airport in the near future otherwise would certainly have tried your recomended remedy.

Decanddyl after reading your post,stopped faffing about and went straight down there,got my fix and bought the VitB1 as a back up.

The pharmacist confirmed the injection is antihystamin.

Tulik a pharmacist has many years of training. I believe 4 yrs at university and another 4 to 6 on site training before they qualify.They are more knowledgable about drugs, side affects,what medication you should not mix with another etc etc than many GPs.They don't just stand behind a counter and sell cold cures and headache pills.

Thanks everyone for advice Now looking forward to living my life on the other side of the flyscreen

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 09:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 40 in Discussion

roblyn - make sure you liberally spray (from inside out) your flyscreens with a 'Permithrin' insecticide - in fact all patio walls and outside furniture and upholstery.

Grow/buy pots of Basil and place several around your patio - the more the better.

Get in the habit of wafting your hands and arms (legs,too, if possible!) through their foliage - deters mossies and sandflies. In July and August it's good to have an outside fan, too - they don't like turbulent air.

roblyn

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 08:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 40 in Discussion

Thankyou Tenakoutou.I will follow your advice

I'll buy the Permithrin at the first opportunity. (Car's gone to the golf course)

I've heard about the Basil and had that in mind,Will source that too,when the car comes home.

100% more comfortable now and aim to stay that way.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 10:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 40 in Discussion

You can find the spray containing 'Permithrin' in Tempo - it's in a grey plastic spray 250ml bottle and features a cockroach on the label. I've never tried it, though, as I usually buy all my (agricultural quality) chemicals in the South.

rosieposie

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 11:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 40 in Discussion

A word of advice on having injections at the pharmacy...

I had the kenelog injection last year but the pharmacist didn't ask me a single question beforehand, he just injected me, and luckily I didn't have a reaction to it. I didn't think there would be a problem as I have had this injection in the UK previously.

However my mum also had a similar injection at the same time as me but she has had a severe reaction to it and now has large painful indents in her arms at the site of the injections and it is almost as if the muscle has wasted away. The pharmacist didn't ask if she was on any other medications, or ask any questions at all, and now she is left with scars on her arms. She has since found out that this drug could have this side effect if it is taken at the same time as HRT, but the pharmacist didn't ask!

I would advise you not to have this injection at the pharmacy as they are not qualified to do it, but to go to a doctor instead, or to use another means of antihistemi

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 12:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 40 in Discussion

Get your advice in UK is my advice! - Too many so-called 'qualified' people in Cyprus - North & South - got their certificates 'out of a box of WeetBix'!

roblyn

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 17:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 40 in Discussion

Tenakoutou I am following your advice to the letter. Got four pots of Basil plants for the balcony. Permithrin on my Tempo shopping list for tomorrow. I'm very grateful for the interest and advice

Now stop being naughty about the Pharmacists.

Rosieposie, I'm so sorry to hear your mum had a bad reaction to the injection and her ongoing problems.

Did you or your mum not ask the pharmacist any questions? I did.

What works for some people can be lethal for others.

Best example Penicilin

Lilli

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 17:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 40 in Discussion

Basil really does work, we keep pots of them around the restaurant to ensure thaT our customers will not get bugged, for me i take vit b tabs and aloe vera juice, so far and skin so soft avon, so good. i still have two scars on my back where i was attacked constantly. I wonder if being a celt with delicate skin matters to these blighters as my scots, welsh and irish friends seem to sufer most. oh well join in with the freckles xxxxx

booitsme

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 18:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 40 in Discussion

Having been a pharmacist in the UK it does scare me how lax the pharmacists are here. I have walked in and bought over the counter medication that would prescription only in the UK and never been asked any questions about my health or why I'm buying this particuar medication. At least I know what I'm buying and any potential side effects but often the medication has Turkish patient information leaflets which could tell you valuable information. The best way is to make a point of asking if there are any side effects and if there are any conditions in which medication should be avoided. I have known one pharmacist (used frequently by Brits) to sell totally inappropriate medication saying it is equivalent to what my friend required. Luckily I was shown the medication first and advised not to take it. If in any doubt ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS!

decanddyl

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 18:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 40 in Discussion

The anti histamine injection plus Vit B and Garlic tablets have been working for me, although I have had one bite and no reaction to it, no side effects from the injection, looking forward to peaceful summer. So far so good. Will try the basil as well.

As for checking with the pharmacist we did that. In my case the side effects from the bites were a nightmare!!

roblyn

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 18:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 40 in Discussion

Far as I know Lilli,I'm British The blighters make a beeline for me though.

The basil is wonderful,lovely fresh aroma.Just as a back up I've had the jab,taking VitB1, Brewers yeast,eating the marmite, using the Avon product.leaving no stone unturned.( I hope!)

Read your posts and feel I know you.I am also an animal lover.Bought my baby with me from England.

Looking forward to visiting your restaurant and meeting you.

Bit of a trek from Esentepe don't like leaving my dog too long

Also been pretty busy getting residency driving licences and getting the app sorted.

One day soon though.

dublinderm

Message Posted:
24/03/2010 00:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 40 in Discussion

Back to top.

This thread is likely to get more important as the summer rolls in.

DD

MaggieAndBernie

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 15:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 40 in Discussion

Just bringing this back to the top in case anyone else, like me, is looking for info about antihistamine injections.

Maggie

honestie

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 40 in Discussion

had the injection 2 weeks ago and vitamin b12 injection total cost 15tl. The same injections at my doctors was 100tl and he never asked me any health questions,more interested in the 50 tl an injection!

The injection is anithistimine and wont stop the bites but great for the itching.

B12 great for energy levels and as for injections they go straight into the blood stream without having to go through the digestive sytem with the tablets and its only every month or two months.

Just make sure youre happy with the chemist and ask the Questions

mitsi

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 20:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 40 in Discussion

Vit B 12 is brilliant or take vit B complex tablets if you prefer. Not everyone is able to have anti-histamine tabs or injections so ask questions beforehand. Will the pharmacist sell the injection for self administration? I would do my own and for friends. Have tried avon and Vape sprays but all ineffective on me. Only thing that prevents bites for me is MOZIGUARD spray and can't find it here. will be sure to bring some back from UK as bought for about £3 in Wilkinson's.

Deniz1

Message Posted:
02/05/2010 06:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 40 in Discussion

Msg 14 pippie try tea tree oil it works for me

simbas

Message Posted:
02/05/2010 07:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 40 in Discussion

Hi Honestie , are you saying that the Dr just gave you Vit B inj without a blood test ?

Simbas

Twinkletoes

Message Posted:
02/05/2010 09:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 40 in Discussion

at least that is better than massive holes!

Twinks

Twinkletoes

Message Posted:
02/05/2010 09:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 40 in Discussion

Sorry about that. My reply disappeared!

The injection they give is Dexamethozone plus. This is concentrated hydrocortisone and if you check on the internet it is strong stuff.

I had three injections last year, one a month for three months. I ended up with huge holes in my upper arms where the hydrocortisone caused skin, tissue and muscle atrophy.

In other words dexamethozone destroyed the tissue, muscle etc in my arms.

Four weeks ago I had plastic surgery to cut out the dead tissue and muscle. My arms were then stitched from the muscle upwards to fill in the holes. Now I have 5cm scars on my arms which will fade. I think this is a far better option than huge holes as I would not wear short sleeves with the holes showing.

So please think twice and DON'T do it. Don't end up with the major problems I had as a side effect.

Twinks

honestie

Message Posted:
02/05/2010 11:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 40 in Discussion

Hi Simbas

I have regular blood tests with my GP in Uk and also here and discuss with my GP in UK . However the doctor here gave my B12 and tried to prescribe many other things without asking any questions. I think we all have to take responsibility for our health and what medictaions we take as Doctors UK or here can fail to ask relevant questions.

I dont know about here but the chemists in UK are usually more upto date in medictaion than the GPs.

I have been here over 5years and just like the UK some Doctors /hospital/chemists get it wrong. The cautionary tale is check what you are having check side effects discuss and make your own decision

simbas

Message Posted:
02/05/2010 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 40 in Discussion

Hi honestie , its all a bit worrying isn't it , good job you are having blood tests , and you know whether you need them or not , but i bet there are quite a few who do not .

Take care , Simbas

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.