North Cyprus Tourist Board - Sad News...Doberman
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Sad News...Doberman

Sad News...Doberman

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Follow North Cyprus News with Cyprus44 News

spanna

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 22:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 31 in Discussion

Hi All,

I just wanted to say thanks to those who responded on my previous postings regarding the Doberman we have been looking after. Sadly, he had to be put to sleep today. KAR had agreed to cover veterinary costs for him to see Firdez to look at his various ailments. On arrival at the vets, she immediately spotted symptoms of Leishmaniosis, a disease carried and passed on to dogs by sand flies. He had clearly had it for some time and explained some of the sores and problems with his skin.

Firdez explained that this is something that cannot be 'cured', only suppressed by a life time of drugs. Unfortunately, once a carrier, always a carrier and anyone taking him on would run the risk of seeing it passed to their own animals, or human family members. Untreated, he would be in increasing pain until it eventually killed him.

We are so sad for the Big Dog, as he had affectionately become known but we are just glad we could make his last week a little more comfortable... cont'd...

spanna

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 22:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 31 in Discussion

... and give him some much deserved love and affection.

I think Daisy (our dog) will appreciate having her bed back but we will miss the big lummox!

Thanks again everyone and especially Daisy Duke.

Spanna.

sienna

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 22:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 31 in Discussion

oh no sad sad :( sorry to hear this - but well done for what you did do for him, making his last few days comfortable, bless heartbreaking :(

Lilli

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 22:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 31 in Discussion

oh be jeaz spanna, i have been trying all day and had a couple interested.How sad did you name him as i will put him on rainsbows bridge, he had love and affection with you. Console yourself with that its all that gets me through. Oh I am so sorry for you you did all and more, but Im so sad. That is one awful disease xxxxxxxxxxx rest assured and i know what you are feeling, you gave him hope and love. Bastards and I do not swear on here but who did that to him xxxxxxxx

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 22:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 31 in Discussion

I am sobbing in my heart, but as you rightly pointed out, you made his last week as comfortable as possible...please stay in touch...maybe we can find you another animal that will be worthy of you love.

DD

jfoggy

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 23:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 31 in Discussion

What a sad outcome. You did your best for him for the time he was with you, you showed him love and care, thanks for that.

PaulW

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 23:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 31 in Discussion

We were so sorry to hear of this. At least, as jfoggy said, he went knowing he was loved and cared for.

Well done all of you involved in this poor dog's care and wellbeing.

spanna

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 23:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 31 in Discussion

Thanks guys... it is so heartbreaking... Lilli, it's silly really - but he'd just become known as 'Big Dog'! Not very imaginative but it worked!!! Someone suggested calling him Rocko... but unfortunately, we never got to Christen him... :(

puppylover

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 23:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 31 in Discussion

spanna

So sorry to hear the very sad news about 'Big Dog'.

I can only imagine how you are feeling, but I hope you find some comfort in the fact that you did your best and cared.

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 04:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 31 in Discussion

Be eternally proud you made his last week one of warmth, comfort and security.......

4paws

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 05:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 31 in Discussion

I have just read your post, what a bittersweet end to a poor creatures life.

I am sitting here at 5.20 in the morning with tears pouring from my eyes, what a compassionate people you must be.

Take some comfort in the fact that you cared, loved and had the courage to have his life ended and saved him many years of misery.

God Bless.

Groucho

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 07:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 31 in Discussion

Sad,

You can reduce the risk of sand flies giving this ailment to your dog by using a 'Paraband' anti-insect collar. They cost 30TL and last for 3 - 6 months... although Firdez recommends three month replacement as it's not worth the risk.

They also guard against ticks and fleas...

Now, why can't we humans get a collar like this?

Tinkie

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 07:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 31 in Discussion

Spanna, I just wanted to echo what others have said, you gave him a very happy few days and as dogs live in the moment he wouldnt have wanted more than that. I lost my own dog recently and she had suffered with Leishamaniasis, it is a terrible disease, and even though the medication keeps the disease under control it can (and did my dogs case) cause damage elsewhere, as it is a very strong drug used for human cases of Leukemia (sp?). We have all been educated by the vets that our dogs need to wear the Paraband collar, but these street dogs suffer with untreated Leishmaniasis for years.

It was a very brave decision that you made and certainly the best for that lovely boy.

x

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 08:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 31 in Discussion

RE msg 12, Groucho: (...) You can reduce the risk of sand flies giving this ailment to your dog by using a 'Paraband' anti-insect collar. They cost 30TL and last for 3 - 6 months... although Firdez recommends three month replacement as it's not worth the risk. They also guard against ticks and fleas... (...)

=> I second Groucho's words. We use such collars and refresh them every three months for our two big dogs, one of them a Dobermann Pinscher. In the past years the dogs have been 99,9 % tick-free. In case they had a tick, they died soon and fell off the dog. To follow-up Groucho's advice: recommended!

P.S. And don't forget to have your dog vaccinated yearly against some kind of "heart-worm" (I don't know the exact name - Firdez knows - they seem to live only on Cyprus and are deadly).

lilyross

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 10:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 31 in Discussion

oh that is so sad ....but the kindest thing to do , we also had that problem when a sad dog turned up on us he looked poorly and we took him to Firdez ...blood tests done and yes it was the dreaded desease..he was put to sleep ,we were sad to do it but couldnt let "Old Boy" suffer ......the Dobie looked a lovely boy and probably had more love and attention with you than he had ever had ! you did the best for him

spanna

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 18:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 31 in Discussion

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your kind words and sentiments. I would like to think that many people would have done the same. I think we now feel fortunate to have met the big chap... He was beautiful...

We will certainly be investing in the Paraband collars for our Daisy for ever more...It's not a fate I would wish on any animal.

Thanks again.

Spanna. X

sienna

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 18:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 31 in Discussion

Well, maybe some good can come from this, awareness to other dog owners to use the Paraband collars for their dogs

well done Spanna and the 'Big Chap'

rowan

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 18:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 31 in Discussion

yes please all get paraband for your dogs and help to protect yourselves at the same time. Leishmania in humans is not nice at all. A friend of mine has just finished treatment after twelve months.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 18:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 31 in Discussion

Sorry to be sombre, but it's also another reason to be very careful with stray dogs. My wife got infected and had to see a GP after lifting a stray and - see above also.

sweep

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 20:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 31 in Discussion

hi everyone

can you advise on how would you know if a family member was to get this horrible infection what are the signs and is there any treatment you can take to before hand to prevent it causing serious effects if you were bitten.

just worried as this sounds terrible and i take my children to the north in the summer.

can it be transfered via animals to humans.

regards sweep

spanna

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 21:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 31 in Discussion

Hi Sweep,

I really wouldn't worry too much... it is good to take precautions but this is as prevalent in the south as the north. It is a Cyprus Wide problem. The best prevention is to use a good insect repellant!

We asked the vet similar questions and were told it is quite rare for it to be passed to humans- but, as evidenced by this board - it does happen. If treated quickly, it can be dealt with quite effectively.

The main external symptoms are a blister/sore which develops and doesn't heal, although I know it can cause internal problems too.

Hopefully there will be someone on here with more thorough medical knowledge than I have.

Enjoy your visit in the summer - this certainly isn't something to let spoil it - the information here is more for dog / pet owners as it is the pets who are most at risk.

Spanna. X

rowan

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 21:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 31 in Discussion

hope this helps and before anyone jumps down my throat, I am not a Dr but this is based on the experience of a good friend who had, what he thought was a bite. It did not heal and seemed to become infected, and red. At the time he was going to the UK where he got it examined and no-one was the wiser but in the meantime it had become bigger and more red and painful.

On his return here he very sensibly went to the dermatologist who took scrapings for analysis and confirmed leshmania. The infection was treated by painful weekly injections into the site of the infection. and after twleve months he has just finished!!

It seems that what happens, as explained to him by the Dr here, is that the bug will bite and infect a dog, another bug can then bite that dog and then bite you, thus passing the infection on. Dogs can be undiagnosed carriers for a long time, and this easy way the infections can be very easily spread.

the moral is that if you have a bite which does not clear with

rowan

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 21:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 31 in Discussion

in a couple of weeks, seek medical advice. As with dogs, if left untreated the vital organs can be attacked.

I think that for most people, a bite is a bite and part of being out here, but if it persists, dont ignore it

spanna

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 22:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 31 in Discussion

Thanks Rowan... that fits with the advice we were given... you seem to have put it far more succinctly than I was able...

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 00:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 31 in Discussion

We checked with our GP and our vet in Holland before we left for Cyprus - they both took the time to find out about this beautiful island what could be new and dangerous for us and the dog (only the Dobermann Pinscher at the time). The dog: 1: take all the yearly vaccinations you would take in your native country. 2: take the yearly vaccination against the (deadly) "heart-worm" - only found in Cyprus. For us (and you): don't ever touch or lift stray (not vaccinated) dogs and cats.

Ignore this and your dog/cat may suffer for a short time before dying - and you yourself may be bl**dy sorry for your ignorance.

P.S. Shoot all strays - they are dangerous (for you and your dog/cat when alive).

Lilli

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 00:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 31 in Discussion

you konw dutch and i spoke about this tonight, you all know i get strays or whatever dunped on me.2 weeks agoi was so ill, i touch many dogs i have touched none ill, i beleive as i do take them to the vets, now we need to be more aware xxxxxxxxxxx

BoTanica

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 09:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 31 in Discussion

Are the paraband collars only available from vets? Or can you get them at pet-shops? I have just used a new droplet type insectacide on my dog which clears (and keeps away) fleas etc but also kills any internal parasites including heart worm. I got it from Sybel the vet in karakum/Ozanköy.

spanna

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 12:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 31 in Discussion

Can you/anyone tell us anymore about it Botanica...? I've not heard of that...

Thanks.

sweep

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 20:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 31 in Discussion

thanks every one, a bit clearer now

BoTanica

Message Posted:
20/03/2010 09:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 31 in Discussion

Message 28:

Its called stronghold, and it also gets rid of ear-mites, mange etc etc. I looked it up on net:

http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/prod5.asp?prod_id=1727&id=141&grpid=1727&msg=&offset=192

spanna

Message Posted:
20/03/2010 10:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 31 in Discussion

Thanks Botanica - may look in to that...

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.