North Cyprus Tourist Board - laser eye treatment northern cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > laser eye treatment northern cyprus

laser eye treatment northern cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

hannah-antrim

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 18:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

hi aLL,

Can you get laser eye treatment done in Northern Cyprus??? Any idea where.cost etc?????

Many Thanks

Hannah

TourGuide

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 19:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Hannah

Your best bet is to go to Istanbul plenty of Eye Clinics there.

rsalih

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 20:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

my sonin law had it done here last week, he is fine and well pleased. His doctors name is Dr Mustafa Guvenir. The clinic is opposite the general hospital in Nicosia. My daughter also has has laser but she had it done in Turkey 3 years ago She had it done in İstanbul at Dunyagoz hastanesi. They have web site. İ do not know how much my son in law paid though..

Maz

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 20:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

I have heard of Dr Guvenir and know someone whose mother in law had treatment at his hand. Apparently he is good and reasonable. Suggest look him up in phone book or google. Trouble is having it done elsewhere is the frequent check ups afterwards. Otherwise I would have ogne to Britain. Still lack the courage, though!

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 22:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

I had the op in London quite a number of years and can thoroughly recommend it. After years of short sightedness it was great to be able to wake up and see everything in focus. MarieB is right about the frequent check ups so you want to go somewhere that has good after care.

My daughter was told she may have glaucoma by an optician in Girne and we went to Dr Guvenir for a 2nd opinion. He was able to set our minds at rest, we now go to him for all eye tests. Interestingly, when we enquired about contact lenses and the laser op for her in the future he was quite anti them, so not doing a hard sell as many others would.

His contact details are: 0392 223 6640 drguvenir@yahoo.com

Traveller0392

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 23:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Interesting ... couldn't help but comment ....

I was thinking about popping down to Kwik Fit for a new hip replacement.... :D

It might as well be what you are talking about .... scares me to think you would consider eye surgery from a recommendation and here is a telephone number by the way. I am sorry but if you do have problems and hate the thought of wearing glasses.... then consider the potential risks involved, and ask this of your doctor before proceeding. Ask them is there any chance of infection after the operation? ... In some cases, cells can develop after the operation, and this is seen to be so in around 5% of cases. This can lead to blurred vision and a second operation. If you are considering having it done, then get a second opinion and a third and even a fourth... learn as much as you can from several sources.... settle for nothing less.

There are plenty of places willing to do the operation and take the money... but even the top doctors cannot guarantee 100%.

Maz

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 23:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

You are right, Traveller. I know several people who have had laser treatment, including my step son, and he was warned of the risks, success rate etc. But it was wonderful for him to throw away his thick pebble glasses . He was sensible and did his homework, but I guess that is what would frighten me here. Not enough people to talk to that have had the operation here. I think it is vital to meet those who are living testaments to the op and its success.

but, I also had a friend who went on the Russian Ship in Limassol 20 years ago. Everyone said how terrible, but she was thrilled with it all. So, it all has to begin somewhere. Just as long as people are informed, know the risks and are prepared to take them. I am sure that this doctor Guvenir will help. Also, remember that Cyprus is such a small place that if you make a mistake you have lost your reputation.

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 11:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

There's a chap in the South (Nicosia) and he is excellent and has top quality machinery, he isn't cheap but very very good, a few people I know have used him.

He trained in UK and also worked in St Jimmy's in Leeds. His name is Tassos and telephone number is: 00357 2246 4344, at least you can get another opinion.

I took 2 years to decide about laser treatment and eventually decided to give it a go and got rid of my specs that I had been wearing full time since I was 5yrs old and never have looked back, it was the best thing I ever did especially with living in a hot country.

Good luck with your decision and if you decide to go this direction, give me a call and I can direct you.

Maz

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks for that Scoobydoo - I almost have the courage,l but the question now is 'Do I have the bank balance?'

What do you mean by 'Not cheap'?

Reg55

Message Posted:
20/03/2010 02:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Hi all

I am now back in UK after 5 years in NC. 3 years ago I planned eye laser surgery and went to Istanbul for a sight see (pun) and initial examination at the international hospital there. I then planned a return trip to have it done, but made some local enquiries and someone mentioned Dr Guvenir. I went to see him and after talking to him, I was completely happy that he was the man. He trained and worked in Istanbul and I felt happier with him than the feeling I had from my visit to Istanbul. He was also slightly cheaper, but this was not the main issue. He performed an initial operation to seal an imperfection and advised me, on balance, not to have the laser treatment because of this. I discussed this with him and he agreed to do it anyway.

It was the best thing I ever did (medically) and I would advise anyone who is considering laser treatment to see him. He will not give you any 100% guarantee, as this is never possible, and complications are always a remote possibility.

TheScarlets

Message Posted:
20/03/2010 08:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

The success rate is extremely high but that is no consolation to someone who is in the minority.

I had laser eye correction almost 10 years ago and it has perfect since. The only thing now is that I will need reading glasses soon but that is an age thing more than anything else.

My wife last year had the same correction in the UK for less than £800 for the two eyes and has also been a success. Standards are high in the UK and would suggest carefully where you decide to take your treatment.

I personally highly recommend laser correction and felt somewhat assured there was recourse within the UK if things were not a success at the first attempt

Good luck and keep us posted

Ian

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
20/03/2010 14:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

MarieB,

I don't know what the prices are now as the south is now in Euro's but when I had mine done 3 years ago (how time flies!) and it cost about £1000 Cyprus pounds which at that time equated to about £800 GBP.

My decision was based on the fact that it is cheaper to go to Turkey but if you needed any follow up treatment the cost soon mounted up when you had to take into account air fares and possibly accommodation.

I now go and see this chap every 2 years for a check up as your eyes can often tell if there is anything else going on in your body, and because of my surgery with him, these follow up checks are totally free (at the moment)

berty

Message Posted:
20/03/2010 15:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

the leading laser guy is in Bahrain and its easy to fly there for it. If interested let me know via email and will pass you the details. Exceptional even if I see so myself.

stockiefan

Message Posted:
20/03/2010 16:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

I have just returned from a 2yr contract in Jordan where I had my eyes lazered. I am almost 60 so for me it was a big step. The guy is the top man in the middle East, they also have places in Doha and Dubai. Best thing I ever did, no regrets so far! the cost was about £2,000, not cheap, but as in most things in life, you get what you pay for.

The after care was amazing, must have had 10-15 visits all in the price.

Groucho

Message Posted:
20/03/2010 23:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

I keep getting bombarded with Lazik adverts for $399 per eye... now that is cheap.

I don't need it though...

Maz

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 00:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

From what I can gather it rather depends on the state of the eyes. My step son had his done in U.K, but it was not cheap because of the seriousness of his eye condition. He was very happy with the result, but has lost a little of the perfection he had.

As to going to Bahrain, I cannot afford the air fare. It would be cheaper to go to U.K and return for checkups. I wanted to visit a friend in Bahrain and the airfare from Larnaca was 500 to 700 EUROS. Ouch!

I would need a really good bloke because my condition could not be helped originally, as nor wa smy step sons, and it is only as they improved that he could be considered as a suitable candidate - hence the greater cost.

And I understand that they now claim to help middle age myopia!

hannah-antrim

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 22:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks everyone

Hannah

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.