North Cyprus Tourist Board - LAP-TOP HELP - ANDYP ????!!!!!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > LAP-TOP HELP - ANDYP ????!!!!!

LAP-TOP HELP - ANDYP ????!!!!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 08:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

AndyP

There is something wrong with my baby and I don't know how to fix it!!! May I ask you a question as it may be obvious?

This has happened twice now, and happens only when my laptop is in power save mode, and I have only had iTunes running.

I hear a bleep and my screen goes very pixalated (is that how you say it?!), and I get a message saying "Display Driver Stopped Working - the ialmrnt5 display driver stopped working normally. Reboot blah blah blah". I can still operate the pc, enough to shut it down.

Its only 3 years old and is an HP Advent Pavilion series lap-top.

Windows on screen help says it does not have a solution to the problem, and I have also tried Intels site for downloads etc, but its sooooo complicated I daren't do anything!

Is it anything obvious, as I have never had to get a pc fixed here, and have heard some horror stories!

Any help much appreciated.

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 10:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

This is a classic Graphic Driver problem. The small programme that helps your Grpahics Card talk to other components has become corrupt. This is either due to the driver file becoming screwed up or your machines Graphic Card is on its way out.

The driver file itself can be uninstalled and reinstalled. It maybe that you maybe lucky and get an update from the Windows Update Site (assuming that you have a legal copy of Windows on your machine). To access the site, open Internet Explorer. On the "tools" drop down menu there is a link that that takes you to the Windows Update Site, called "Windows Update". Once there follow the on screen prompts till you get to a screen that have buttons marked "Express" and "Custom". Click on the "Custom" button. It will take a few minutes but should return some results.

On the left of the screen there is a menu bar which, as one of its oprions says "Select By Type". There should be 3. High Priority, Software optional, Hardware Optional. Afer these headings there should be a number. If it says "0" after the Hardware option then there are new drivers available. The rest of what follows is then useless information, but if there is a number click on the "Hardware Optional" link. It will then show you all unpdates for a Hardware that are available. Click the open box(es) next to all of the programmes listed. Click the "Review and Install Updates" link at the top of the page. Follow the instructions from there. Everything is then automatically, apart from the when Windows wishes to be restarted at the end of the updates.

By the way, if there were any numbers in the "Software" or "High Priority" links, it's as well to download those to, to ensure that you have an upto date, secure machine.

If this doesn't fix the problem then you need to have someone with a bit more knowledge of installing and uninstalling drivers to look at your machine, otherwise you could just be left with windows basic drivers that allow the screen to only operate in 800 x 640 pixels (very large icons) with a limited colour range.

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 10:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

wow Mr Cadman

thats absolutely fantastic - thanks for taking the time to write all that and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks very much indeed

jock1

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 11:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Good luck to you HH

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 16:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

Thanks very much again - there were quite a few updates, but none indicating Graphics Driver updates. But we shall see!

Another quickie question though - Service Pack 3 for XP - is it worth installing?! It tried to install automatically but failed for some reason!

AndyP

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 11:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

Hi HH

Sorry for the delay. Not been online this weekend.

Yes, install SP3 always best to be up to date.

What model number is your laptop?

AndyP

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 11:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

Also, I need to know the model of the graphics card.

To find this.

Right click on the desktop and choose properties.

Go to Settings tab and it should tell you there.

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 12:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

hi Andy,

Thanks for coming back to me - nice Mr Cadman gave me same advice and have followed that also.

My graphics card is a Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS 910GML Express Chipset Family. The serial number for this is 6.14.10.4250

My laptop is an HP Advent Pavilion dv4269EA.

As I mentioned previous, I have tried to download any updates from Intel but its too confusing for me!! I have found the relevant products page with d/l updates but to me its just jargon I don't get and am concerned I will get something wrong!

Any help again much much appreciated.

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 12:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

sorry forgot to add - I did try and install Service Pack 3 but the installation failed - didn't say why though?!

At present I have Service Pack 2 and its a genuine copy of Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002.

Are there any obvious reasons why it won;t install, like my anti virus tripping it?

AndyP

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

OK here we go.

Download this driver and then install it. Hopefully that will cure the problems you have with the screen.

This is the link (copy this into the address bar of Internet Explorer and press enter)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=1862&DwnldID=12539&strOSs=45&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Home%20Edition&lang=eng

AndyP

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 12:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

XP SP3

Try downloading this copy of SP3 (from Microsoft site). Once downloaded, run it and you should be OK. It may be that the copy you have is corrupt. Let me know how you get on. If if fails, hopefully you should get some errors etc. This is a 316mb download, so it may take a while.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en

Keep me updated as to how this is going.

Andy

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 15:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

cheers Andy - will do.

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 12:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

Morning Andy,

I have managed to download the driver again, and also Service Pack 3 seems to have agreed with my computer, so thats done also.

So far so good, but maybe a little early to tell!

Many thanks for your expertise, and maybe one day I can get to buy you a beer or two for your help.

As you pic is there to see, if I think its you in the street I may well introduce myself!

AndyP

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 16:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

No problem.

Glad I could help. Lets hope it continues to work as it should.

You never know you might be out one night and find I am your entertainment.

Let me know if you have any future problems. You can always email or post a request on the contact page of my website http://www.systemlogix.co.uk

Andy

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 13:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

Thanks Andy thats great

In fact, I was out last night down in the harbour having a drink or two, and saw this guy that I thought was you. My friends told me to go and ask so I did! Sadly it was not you, but his name was Alan - nearly!!

AndyP

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 14:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

A close one. Funny enough that my bros name but he is not here.

You will have to continue your search. I am never far away!!!

Biker

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 14:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Be careful about installing SP3 on HP machines as we have had load of problems HP machines. The SP3 installation goes into to boot up/down loop and cannot be stopped. This is due to the fact that Hp supplied AMD and INTEL drivers on their original images and Microsoft update is getting confused with this.

Be very wary of SP3 yet as it does not have any significant advantages.

Biker

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 15:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

umm interesting comment Biker - my laptop this morning has been experiencing other problems - I could change from application to application without it taking forever, and the screen kind of scrolled slowing down revealing the application I wanted, but it never got there!

Bloomin computers!!

If it really starts playing up, is there anyway to de-install SP3 and revert back to SP2 to see if that could be the issue?

So sorry, thought you had got rid of me!

Alan is your brothers name eh AndyP - spooky!!

AndyP

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 15:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

If you want uninstall SP3

Start-Settings-Control Panel

Add/Remove Programs

Tick the box to show updates

Click to Highlight Windows XP Service Pack 3

Click Remove

Job done!!

Sorry about this. Was unaware of this HP problem. Have installed on serveral HP machines and not had a problem at all.

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 16:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

cheers - will see how it goes for a bit - or until it explodes!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.