North Cyprus Tourist Board - Fed up with Limescale
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Fed up with Limescale

Fed up with Limescale

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

JohnWG

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 18:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 30 in Discussion

COMBIMATE

A unit fitted by good heating engineers in Kibris who provide guarantees, yes there are some.

We Heatsaver KK Ltd are the local distributor of Combimate price £139 exstock, a UK product using Siliphos (sodium polyphospate balls) fully potable. Good for 350 tons or 1 year £27 replacement siliphos. Uk regs now require non return valve be fitted to the product to protect water system. High temperatures cause Siliphos to be used more quickly. Silphos is deposited on pipework, boilers, appliances, taps and sanitary ware stops limescale sticking. It does not soften water but it is a real benefit.

In English http://www.cistermiser.co.k/products/products_combi.aspx

Turkish http://www.heatsaver-istanbul.com.tr

Fit after boost pump out of sun, pipework is 15mm copper compression or plastic threaded nut end can be connected directly.If property unoccupied more than 2 months recommend is to remove Siliphos.

We deliver in Girne region.

John 0532 340 2230

Kemal 0533 850 7517

flightholiday

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 19:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 30 in Discussion

This type of system has been available from Zihni in Lapta (to order) for two years + it is a less pretty simple canister system which has been on sale for many years in the UK known as Combi-Flo & Combi Care

It is manufactured by Culligan and they have it under two brands Liff and Aquadial both 15mm & 22mm versions can be seen at http://www.softcleanwater.co.uk SoftCleanwater has been found on Cyprus 44 since at least November 2008 and is part of IAH.

On a recent thread there have been comments abouit fitting of this and similar from Permutit which is worth searching out.

The UK discounted price for one unit including VAT & carriage to a UK address is less than £67.00 so take one out with you or get a guest to do so (based on a Combi Care 15mm) get two and it's less!

If you want to order from Zihni in Lapta 0392 821 1182 or 0533 860 2577 he may have to allow for the non discounted list price still only around £75 inc VAT + a contribution to carriage

http://www.softcleanwater.co.uk

professoregit

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 20:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 30 in Discussion

Sounds great but I need a water softener. Can you guys help please...

racoonchic

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 20:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 30 in Discussion

combi mates are not deseigned for this type of scale they simply wont cope i still have a few that we brought over from holland that have a proven working record in this country 05338384636

Brinsley

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 20:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 30 in Discussion

I've given up on all upgrading water systems due to outrages cost quotes, I'm going back to live in the bush and survive in a cave!

Richard

basheer

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 20:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 30 in Discussion

could be interested can you show me a picture of this unit and size I live in lapta if the price is right I will install it thanks

millzer

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 21:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 30 in Discussion

Still investigating this (from another thread) would it not be better if it was fitted between the mains supply and cold storage tank, as this would also prevent scaling to the tank and the pump too, therefore the treated water is in the tank ready to supply the property. Or will this not work as effectively??

flightholiday

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 00:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 30 in Discussion

Steve Msg 3 - You can import a proper resin conventional softener from us at SoftCleanWater * or someone else but there are many considerations to do with electronics drainage and the alteration of the water that need to be expalined - far too many for yet another long drawn our thread that would bore most readers silly. There are higher running costs but there are quiet a few savings that can accrue from this type of water softener.

* We hope to have an inexpensive resin machine from Scalemaster soon.

Basheer Msg 6 - see http://www.softcleanwater.co.uk and search for combi you will find both

Millzer Msg 7 - you had said you wanted to fit it after the mains came in to your property (after the meter) and that would be advisable if you are looking at a polyphospate dosing unit such as the Combi-Flow.

The efficiency is not something that anyone can warrant as there are different hardnesses village by village in the TRNC and it might not get rid of the old scale.

millzer

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 01:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 30 in Discussion

Tom, I know what you're saying about 'efficiency', but worth a try if only to try and prevent or reduce further scale build up. Only problem I can see is that to fit after the meter means it will be exposed, so maybe will get to warm, plus having to adapt to tee into steel galvanised (I think!) pipework.

Thanks again.

racoonchic

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 06:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 30 in Discussion

our units are fitted between the meter and the tanks we also offer a tank cleaning service so your starting fresh and not making the unit work on double time .there are optional extas like the covers that are moulded to suit the unit so it remains in the dark which removes the threat of algi build up. if you rely on tanker fed water then i suggest the units are fitted after the pump on a pressurized system and then your looking after wat goes into the house and up to your hot and cold tanks on the roof and your solar panels. you will always have a bit more scale in the cold water roof tank as this is solely to give you a gravity feed should your pump fail or you have a power cut so the water lies up there for longer. combi mates were only desiegned for central heating systems to reduce lime and sludge intake to the boilers heat exchanger and i repeat are not a solution for serious limescale conditions . call me on 05338384636 for more info .

professoregit

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 07:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 30 in Discussion

Tom, thanks for the feedback. Shows my ignorance, but thought it was a case of connect and go. Clearly not.

I really need to understand more as I am getting close to finishing my property and really would like a softener installed for day 1. I do need further clarification on requirements and cyprus related issues. When

do expect to have the new scalemasters available.

millzer

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 10:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 30 in Discussion

Message 10, what system is it that you fit? I might try & give u a call as we are over very shortly. We have met b4 as it goes, you gave Mrs Millzer your card and said we were 'going to need it' at some point

colly

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 10:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 30 in Discussion

Racoonchic, message 12. I concur with most of what you are saying. I believe the Combimate was designed for the domestic water side though and not the central heating which is a closed system and so does not suffer the limescale problems refered to.

How does your system work? I would be interested to hear about a system that can be used with stored water!

racoonchic

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 13:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 30 in Discussion

the first stage removes the sand and grit that snarl up your taps shower heads ballcocks and non rtn valves the second is a powder filter that removes 65/75 per cent of the limescale.the units can be sold seperatly so you can choose one or the other or both.the lime cleaner powder cartridge contains a chemical cleaner that activly redudes the amount of scale and also forms a barrier on the existing pipework to prevent further furring. there is a non rtn valve built into the outlet of each filter to prevent backflow or water loss wich is a big bonus if its fitted after the pump as normally this would require you to turn your roof tanks off.

millzer

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 14:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 30 in Discussion

Mess 14, how often does the cartridge need changing? $64000 question, how much are both systems?

flightholiday

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 17:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 30 in Discussion

Msg 15 - it will depend on how much grunge blocks your filter - the normal recommendation for Culligan filters is 3 to 6 months (I have know people not change them in even two years - thoroughly not recommended).

The filters and housings (after a non return valve and with a bypass in place - easily bought/made by a plumber) could be 2*NDL2 + 2*bracket + 1 NSW5 Filter followed by 1* R1 or CR10 cartridge to your own choice. If you are suffering a lot of muck you might want an extra housing + bracket and to use a NSW25 filter before the others.

The effect is a filter to 25 micron followed by a filter to 5 micron and a cartridge which includes filtration of scum & scale plus some other reductions like lead & heavy metals.

If you want a UK delivered price please email me off line

Tom

info@softcleanwater.co.uk

racoonchic

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 20:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 30 in Discussion

there are 4 cartridges with the purchase priceof 220stg with the twin system the cartridges are 15 pounds thereafter and on average people living here are using around 4 a year but fh is right as it will depend on the severity of scale in each area . the cover sleeves are 30pounds extra although the one most affected has proved to be the gauze filter that collects the grit and crap so 15 pounds to cover a single . finally your hair will be softer your sex life will improve and you will live longer if you choose this product lol

colly

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 22:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 30 in Discussion

Racoonchic, message 12. I concur with most of what you are saying. I believe the Combimate was designed for the domestic water side though and not the central heating which is a closed system and so does not suffer the limescale problems refered to.

How does your system work? I would be interested to hear about a system that can be used with stored water!

colly

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 22:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 30 in Discussion

Sorry that should be message 10.

Just re read, not sure I fully understand the bit about the tank in the roof? Not sure what system you refer to being only there in case of power cut, regardless, should the scale snot be less if the water is not replenished?

juliamoons

Message Posted:
23/03/2010 11:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 30 in Discussion

Message 10

"our units are fitted between the meter and the tanks we also offer a tank cleaning service so your starting fresh and not making the unit work on double time."

As you know I had one of your units installed 3 months ago. 2 days back I boiled up a saucepan of tap water to see if there were any improvements. Nil/Zilch improvement in water quality from previously, no soft hair. The saucepan was coated in white limescale as well as debris in the pan.

You have agreed to take this unit back and refund us minus the cartridges used. You also rang to say that you had in fact installed it in the wrong place (before the tanks) and that it should go after the pump. I hope that you will re-visit your past customers to correct this problem.

Regards

millzer

Message Posted:
23/03/2010 15:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 30 in Discussion

So I guess the last post puts us back to square one! I guess no-one really knows whether any of these gadgets (with the exception of a proper water softener) really work!

professoregit

Message Posted:
23/03/2010 18:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 30 in Discussion

Tom/FlightHoliday, I'll ask again. I need a water softener. Can you provide one that suits the bill over here and how much please.

Thanks

racoonchic

Message Posted:
23/03/2010 20:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 30 in Discussion

julie moons i cant believe you would be so vendictive i called you in good faith and offered you a refund straight away or do what was right to make you happy . your husband agreed that not enough time had lapsed 8 weeks to decide if it was effective as you screamed in the background .i said 65/75 per cent reduction the units were fitted supplier recomended position and as promised you got your money today 1 day after complaining so why are you slagging me off . ihave over 200 happy customers and 1 unhappy one. i wish you well and hope that someone gives you wat you expect in life x

racoonchic

Message Posted:
23/03/2010 20:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 30 in Discussion

and why did you not come and talk to me today when i called the dog was barking the tv was on i rang the bell knocked the door called through the open window and ended up putting the money under your front door .then i called your husband and he said you were in the house . the profile picture seems to fit the person lol

flightholiday

Message Posted:
24/03/2010 00:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 30 in Discussion

Steve Msg 22 - Sorry just seen your message (been away most of today; wife took me out - how could I refuse?).

I am waiting for further details on the scalemaster products (hopefully in about 2/3 weeks). They are brand new (using tried and tested technology) and due to start to come off the production line.

Be patient but please do remind me preferably off board at info@flightholiday.co.uk

basheer

Message Posted:
01/04/2010 17:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 30 in Discussion

I just bought this lime beater from ideal world on line

it's a 15 mm electrolylic scale inhibitor for £51.12 seems very simple to wrap the wire which comes out of the box round the pipe and connect the other end to this box which you plug in and very soon all the lime scale will be under control and eventually disappear they say this should be connected where the mains come in so all the pipes and water heater tank will have a result

in all 10 mins to fit and connect I don't know if this is available in Girne

flightholiday

Message Posted:
02/04/2010 00:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 30 in Discussion

basheer Msg 26

I was intrigued as you seemed to use a number of different descriptive words not applying to one sort of water conditioning unit - so I searched and found what you have bought. This seems to be a low power unit that has only one antenna (most have two which will make them far stronger).

You will be very lucky if it works that well in North Cyprus as it is designed to work on flowing water not still (tank) water.

The similar products from Culligan i.e. the Liff Wrappa (which will work on 15 to 35 mm pipework) or Aquadial Electronic Scale Reducer that we sell on http://www.softcleanwater.co.uk are I would assume about twice as powerful but still are not something I would recommend for North Cyprus on their own as most water supplies are "still" & the effect might not be enough.

These units could be made available in North Cyprus and I know that Zihni in Lapta (0392 821 1182)had one in stock not so long ago or of course you can order them from the SCW web site

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
02/04/2010 07:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 30 in Discussion

I had a Combimate fitted over a year ago, I am not really sure how effective it is and I have noticed that the shower heads are still blocking up but I am persevering as I believe something is better than nothing.

How can I realistically tell if it is working?

I also was told that I cannot get the replacement balls in the TRNC, is this true? I have to get them brought from England.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
02/04/2010 12:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 30 in Discussion

Scoobydoo - Combimate sorry I do not know who might handle it over there.

You will have problems with spares on most of these products which is why I would always try to sell them to people in pairs (enough for 12 months) - If you can open the cartridge the Liff Combi-flo refills are 500 grams; if enough people need them (and order them) I am sure we can arrange for Zihni in Lapta to bring some in - in regard of effeciency you may find that the blocking up could be old scale coming through or even that the unit is not sufficient to your usage.

crofter

Message Posted:
02/04/2010 16:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 30 in Discussion

Replacement balls are available in the TRNC from John WG who started the thread. We have just purchased from him.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.