North Cyprus Tourist Board - Bringing a car to North Cyprus temporarily - Not for Import
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Bringing a car to North Cyprus temporarily - Not for Import

Bringing a car to North Cyprus temporarily - Not for Import

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

proger1

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 18:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

I know this has been asked before or at least a similar question has been asked before but if I drove a car from the UK to NC and as a non-resident decided to keep it there, how long can I before I would either have to register it (If it is possible for me to do that) or return to the UK with it.

I am not trying to get a cheap new car into the country, it is in fact too old to import so I wondered as I don't have residency and therefore I am assuming considered as a holiday maker can I bring in my car instead of renting one.

Paul

andrew4232

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 21:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

6 months i would think but dont know

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
21/03/2010 23:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

msg 1;

Yes you can,irrelevant of its age as a visitor with visa.

proger1

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 06:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

yorgozlu,

Thanks for that but I knew I could take a car into the country. What I was really after was how long I could keep it here without breaking any laws, if it is only for 1 month it isn't worth it but if it is longer it might be worth considering.

Paul

juliamoons

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 06:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

You can keep your car here for up to 1 year, but it does mean that you have to visit the customs office in Nicosia to get an extension every couple of months. I kept mine here for a year and then paid the import duty. You will still have to pay Road Tax etc.,

Corbo

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 07:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

I met someone who had their car on UK plates for over 18 months before registering it here. I've been here nearly 6 months with my 8 year old Saab as a tourist on a Visa. 30 day visa on Kyrenia port arrival and then renewed for 5 months. No trouble. I could have got a full year Visa I guess but they gave me one in Nicosia up to the date when my UK tax disc expired on 31 st March. My friend is bringing another tax disc over for my trip back soon. So have a full years tax disc on it and should be fine for up to a year.

Groucho

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 07:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

Paul, although this one year is theoretically correct, it should be noted that this is aimed at tourists.

If in actuality ones lives here, have children going to school here etc. then one needs to regularise things like residency and car registration as the police et al can suddenly decide to take exception to bending of the rules for tourism to suit residents trying to reduce their proper liabilities. People have fallen foul of this before.

wanderer

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 08:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

Proger

Bought the car over in September taxed till end of Aug this year

Had its import sheet stamped for 30 days at port of arrival

Had a further stamp till "31st" of April 2010

Just had the 3rd stamp till 31st August when the UK tax expires they inspected the tax disc

Then we have to pay the duty or drive away off the island

Required at customs log book mot current tax disc passport of keeper and keeper plus driving licence muctars letter saying that you live at an address and every time you go from port of entry your ins and outs

So if the cars in your name you can't send the missis down to the customs to do the job for you

When the car first comes in they put a stamp in the passport this confuses passport control in Turkey

Reading between the lines i think your'e trying to save on hire cars understandable

Yes if the car is over 3 years old it can't be imported unless its been in the keepers /importers name for continuously 5 years

proger1

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 10:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

Thanks for all the info, it is all kind of pointing in a similar direction but as usual there is no definitive answer for NC.

Groucho, I understand what you are saying about if one lives here and have children going to school here. The problem is by current rules I can't become a resident because I am not in the country long enough per year.

I have allready bought a car locally for my wife and it is all above board and legal. I am considering a second car but want to know my options. Those that know me personally will probably realise that this is not about the money. The car I would like to bring in is not readily available here and if it is possible for me to bring in I would like to know the restrictions.

Paul

MickSturbs

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 10:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

Yes you can as most have agreed. We have fallen foul by coming over with a car and spending more than 365 days in any 2 years. We ended up by having to take the car back before the snows set in throughout Europe as once we were told we have only 3 months and then have to pay import duty, it became a problem! As people have said you are allowed to have your car here as long as your tax disc (UK) is valid. The bit we did not realise is the 365 days in ANY 2 years. We even brought over a different car this year but was still no different on this ruling. How are we solving this problem? Go somewhere else next year! More money the TRNC have lost thru petty rules. We have also not gone to explore the rest of the TRNC and used our feet everywhere we can but just think of the money we could have spent in petrol, insurance, restaurants/cafes in the outback! Their loss our gain, when will they learn?

proger1

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 11:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

MickSturbs, you confused me a little in the middle there, you said you brought in a different car but the ruling was still the same.

Do you mean that because you had already done more than 365 within a 2 year period you would still be required to import this new car within 3 months, so changing to a different car did not affect your ins and outs situation and therfore the import requirement still applied.

Please clarify this, actually it doesn't matter really because I can not ever be in the country for more than 365 days unless my situation changes so it would not apply to me. So what you are saying is that as long as I can get the car back for a new tax disc it is ok to keep it there.

Paul

MickSturbs

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 11:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

Yes, I know it sounds stupid but it is your personal INS & OUT, the reg is irrelevant. In fact not taken.

We are only here for around 180 days a year (Winter). Him indoors told me to correct it is 360 days not 365 in 2 years. We were one day over allocation.

Had we known about this ruling we would not have driven the car from UK for 1 month, we could have come out a week later and had the car because it is a rolling 2 year period.

Hope this helps somebody... Unfortunately it is too late for us....Another piece of advice, you must ask the right questions to get the right answer, info will not be volunteered

proger1

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 12:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

I don't want to upset you but it doesn't sound stupid to me. Although it would have been much better had it been common knowlege about the 360 days.

The way I understand it is that the laws apply to people for residency, not the vehicle. Essentially you need to return the car to the UK once a year for road tax but if you are in NC for more than 180 days or 360 in 2 years you are considered a readient and have to abide by the rules for importing. Please collect me if I am wrong.

I appreciate your advice because the majority of people have experienced the situation for being a resident or owning a property and there isn't alot of information for a non-resident.

Paul

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 14:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

msg 13;

Paul;

I dad posted enough info about this few times on this forum.

proger1

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 17:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

I agree that you did yorgozlu and I appreciate it and have read some if not all of them however things do change as you are aware and others tend to write what they think which is not always helpful in confirming the details.

As you can see there are several posts here and I have recieved some personal e-mails about the subject some of which agreed with your posts others didn't.

The only thing I would say is that no matter how many times I stressed, as a non-resident or not for import, some still advised me on importing and residency laws, hence my need to get it confirmed.

Thanks again, Paul

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 20:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

Paul,just bring it over and dont worry too much.Too many guess work.

or as my friend says,"s**t talk"

MickSturbs

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 20:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

Re Message 13: Hi Paul.

Bringing the car from UK with all things for our Winter hobbies, activities etc. for just one month was the stupid bit, OK I admit that!!!

If you do not have property here then your car papers will only be valid for the length of your visa which is why when you come in via Turkey you get 30 days at the port and to extend you have to go to Nicosia.

Hope that all helps!

proger1

Message Posted:
23/03/2010 07:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

Thanks again,

All advice is appreciated, even the slightly incorrect or out of date because it means additional information is added by those with more up to date situations.

Paul

twoexpats

Message Posted:
23/03/2010 09:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

proger,

Once you have absorbed all the comments and advice you have received both from this forum and elswhere perhaps you would be good enough to post your conclusion on the issue.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.