North Cyprus Tourist Board - What's the true feeling on the TRNC here?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > What's the true feeling on the TRNC here?

What's the true feeling on the TRNC here?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

expatkiwi

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 03:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 2 in Discussion

Since I walked off the Cyprus Forum, I've been wondering about how people living in the TRNC really regard their country. I have supported the side pushing for international recognition of the TRNC as a sovereign state (because I beleive that the Turkish Cypriot people have the right to self-determination), but this support has been based on the premise that the people of the TRNC ideally want this to happen.

Now, with various contacts saying that they would rather be annexed by Turkey, or reunify with South Cyprus in the hopes of getting some better deal with the EU has made me wonder if the sentiment for TRNC independence is still out there. Can some folk on the forum enlighten me as to their thoughts on the matter?

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
22/03/2010 12:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 2 in Discussion

I really think the TC populace, while resenting the insidious and relentless 'Turkification' of the TRNC, prefer the comfortable 'status quo' of protectionism that the 'umbrella' of Turkey and successive local governments have afforded them them. This, ultimately, will be to the detrimant of their own personal circumstances.

Reunification with RoC is impossible due to the mindset of the government, church and school indoctrinated GC's. If there were to be an island-wide referendum tomorrow, the result would be only slightly different than the previous Annan Plan fiasco, with the TC's, having been let down by EU renegued promises, now voting a resounding 'No!'.

Even if, by some miracle, there was to be a settlement, the TC's would simply revert to their pre 1974 feudal situation of exploitation and vulnerability - that is all, except for the TRNC 'Rich Club'.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.