North Cyprus Tourist Board - Water shortage is now desperate
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Water shortage is now desperate

Water shortage is now desperate

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 13:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 48 in Discussion

I have said on here previously that we have to have tankered water cos we are not connected to the mains. Today our delivery man said he can no longer guarantee delivery because the wells are now starting to run dry!!!!!!

By proper management of our water we can make a 2 tonne tank last 2 weeks. I can already hear the comments - no way, impossible etc. If you think that then you are the person I am pointing at as the villain here.

When running water for shower washing etc, put the run off into a bucket and use for flushing. Do not flush toilet every time. Do not brush teeth under running water, many more have already been mentioned on this forum.

Then look to the garden - STOP WATERING - plants that live here do not need water. Certainly all those irrigation systems MUST be switched off now.

If the government are not prepared to bring in bans and appropriate fines then do your bit. It is no good saying my neighbour does so why should I stop. make a point of pointing it out to your neighbour, in a nice way of course.

Then there is the car!! Why wash it, it will only be filthy again in 2 days!!!!!!! Mine was a nice silver, now a sh&&&y brown. But who cares!

As for the government, if anyone is reading this, unless you take your head out of your rear ends then this country will have a disaster on its hands. You must immediatley bring in hose pipe bans, ban all irrigation systems and fine people large amounts for using them, you must close down car washes as they are unneccessary. Any homes that are unoccupied then a ban be placed with immediate effect on refilling pools just for maintenance sake.

Finally the biggest users of all must be stopped, that is builders. Close all new sites now and stop all further building of pools.

That is me. All of this I put in CT last year and nobody took any notice, now look where we are. So if you smell someone coming towards you it will probably be me, so I will not object if you cross the road.

jock1

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 48 in Discussion

Hi cyprusishome agree with most thing,s you say however you should be all right with your surname.

jock

PtePike

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 15:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 48 in Discussion

Top post, David.

Nunu1

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 15:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 48 in Discussion

Cyprusishome...Well put! I wish I had a large tanker ship...Id fill it with water from UK Coz weve got ooodles of it...and ship it to TRNC!

I would suggest all villa owners (Or apartment owners get together) get a bore hole drilled in your garden and search for water! There was a guy I met out there that was offering to do it for around 800 TL.

Think about it well (Sorry for the pun!) worth investing!

Or you can wait till I come over there.....Im the rain main.....No joking wherever I go in the World the rain follows me!!!!!

nunu1

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 16:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 48 in Discussion

Well Said.

It is about time we all stopped and really thought about what the effects of using our water so casually can cause to this island.

I will try and be polite to my neighbours who come once a year, have a go at their gardener that everything is dead, and then spend the whole holiday turning on the sprinkler system for hours on end. I really really will try......

doghnuts40

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 16:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 48 in Discussion

Excellent Post. Nearly everyone I have spoken to are having terrible water problems and yes the water delivery guys are saying that they are not sure how much longer they can carry on deliveries as all the wells are drying up. It is important we all do our bit.

Aussie

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 17:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 48 in Discussion

good post by cyprusishome

Have been doing the things he suggests for a while.

I also think its important not to use any more ground water than is absolutely necessary as this is also a limited resource. Unfortunately a lot of people both expat and Cypriots treat ground water as if its inexaustable.

Another good water saver are dual flush toilets if you building or replacing your cisterns and there are now grey water recyling systems you can install as well.

You can also reuse washing up water etc on the garden for watering.

Aussie

Hilltop

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 18:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 48 in Discussion

Nunu, I think you have missed the point. Each Borehole/Well takes water from the common source. People with wells seem to believe they are immune from water shortages, but many, especially near the coast are turning saline (as sea water replaces the removed fresh water).

If the aquifers become depleted by indiscriminate wells, everyone will suffer.

The only ways forward are desalination plants (very expensive) or the pipeline from Turkey (lots of talking, not much apparent action).

Rogerdodger

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 18:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 48 in Discussion

The water problem in NC will only get worse unless the goverment closes down all the garage car wash areas, this has to be common sence,

" party in a pub comes to mind"

Tiggy

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 18:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 48 in Discussion

HH don't try.....just give them both loaded barrels. not like you to have your tongue in your boots. respect to you..

On our recent visit, still noticed sprinklers and hose pipes being used.

Hilltop

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 19:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 48 in Discussion

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I was out watering the garden.............

Medview De-sal plant. You pay over the odds but unlimited supply.

Lemtich

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 22:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 48 in Discussion

Why can't you just dilute the water? Then there would be more to go around!

Lem

Hilltop

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 22:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 48 in Discussion

I like your thinking Lem. Have you thought of putting this to the TRNC Government? It could be policy in a week then retracted in a month.

Lemtich

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 23:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 48 in Discussion

Cheers Hilltop.

As I gaze out my window at the grey black clouds just about to unleash another dose of rain on midsummers day, I wish to myself, "Why don't you piss off to Cyprus, you would be welcome there!"

Hang on a mo, I'll post it to you so you can have a look.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa219/Lemtich/Midsummer.jpg

There you go! Its so dark now the bloody street lights have come on!

Water> Its over rated!

Lem

Hilltop

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 23:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 48 in Discussion

And luckily over there, supposed to get a thunderstorm here in Bogaz tonight. It won't happen !!

Very warm today, 40C. Spent a large part of the day in the evil swimming pool. I would have said at least 3 Hail Mary's, but I am CofE so didn't bother.

Chris

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 23:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 48 in Discussion

Duck yourself under the water again, and you can be a born again christian!!

LOL

Chris

Lemtich

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 23:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 48 in Discussion

I'd swop Hilltop, old buddy.

Looks like another non summer here like last year.

Lem

Hilltop

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 23:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 48 in Discussion

I was there for some of last summer mate...no fun.

All you have to do is become an old bugger like me, than you can come here to die in the warm.

It helps give the worms a start.

HT

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 23:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 48 in Discussion

Kev,

Tried diluting the stuff and it does not work. Weird that!!!!!!

Just finished watching the Rugby League match from Hull and the weather was diabolical. Think I prefer my option - drink Efes and wash in Akdeniz.

D

Lemtich

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 48 in Discussion

Nice to hear from you CIH!

Your my main man!!!

We have to meet up in August, no crying off!

Take care, old friend.

Lem

Nunu1

Message Posted:
22/06/2008 02:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 48 in Discussion

Hilltop......I hear what you are saying....Im not an expert on the water table and underground springs....but there must be a fair amount of reserves underground..Just drill deeper!!!!! Maybee might hit oil then!!!?? Would become rich overnight then!

nunu1

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
22/06/2008 08:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 48 in Discussion

Nunu1,

As I have already said, the deep aquafers are several THOUSAND feet down and to access them you need the resources of an oil drilling corporation.

I know your thinking is sound but the resolution to the problem is very costly, ie drilling, pipeline or tankers from Turkey. Desalination costs 1 litre of fuel for every litre of water produced!!

Until 4 years ago there was no problem, as bad as this anyway.

The only reason for this problem is the building boom. Think about how much water is used in the building of each house made of concrete.

Think about all those swimming pools that did not exist 4 years ago.

Think about all those gardens watered on behalf of absent owners.

Yes, we live here permanently and are as guilty as all others but we are trying to do our bit at home. Also have blasted in the press last year, even got a reply from mayor of Lefkosa who was not a happy bunny after my comments. We expected the knock on the door. However til these popularist politicians wake up and stop doing things to make people "HAPPY" then we are all in deep do-do.

Enough from me!!!!!!

Kev,

Would be a pleasure but you know the situation with the "health". At the moment good - as you may tell from the ramblings!!!!!!!!

My e-mail is on this BB if you let me know when you are over.

D

Cyprusunday

Message Posted:
22/06/2008 15:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 48 in Discussion

This is not because of the building boom it is because we are in the fifth year of drought. I personally get sick of being scowled at because I have a pool when every morning I pass the ravine bar and the water from washing is running down the road. I have backwashed my pool once in 3 months where Cyprus pools used to do it once a week. It is largely not the expats at fault, there is little managment of resources, when it rains it just goes out to sea. ALL the toilets at Ercan leak through either the tap or the flapper as do most in hotels and restaurants, one I know with 2 cubicals is so bad I reckon on at least 2 tonnes per day per loo.

De-salination is an ecological nightmare.

I am sorry but my loo will always be flushed after every use, usually from shower water.

I manage my usage my last bill was 20 tonnes in 2 months or the same as a couple of leaky loos in 5 days. Its not all about expats, gardens and pools.

Nunu1

Message Posted:
22/06/2008 16:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 48 in Discussion

Never fear.....nunu is here...well not yet but I will be in Cyprus in the next 4-6 weeks I promise you friends it will rain!!!!! I am the rain God or rain man!

I went to Cyprus last year in May..it rained for 4 days and nights constantly!

I went to Cyprus November last year, on the 2nd day it started to rain and did so on and off for 10 days!

I went to Cyprus in February this year, it rained several days out of 10!

I went to Las Vegas 15 years ago....it SNOWED the day before I got there! Snow in Vegas! the first time in 13 years! Who was there? nunu!!!

I must see if rainman.com is available to purchase!

nunu

Chris

Message Posted:
22/06/2008 16:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 48 in Discussion

My friend,

the sahara needs you, go now, take a film crew and make a fortune!!

LOL

Chris

Nunu1

Message Posted:
22/06/2008 16:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 48 in Discussion

Chris, no point going to the Sahara....theres noting there.!...I would like to replenish the water supplies of Cyprus though.....it will be a good test if it does rain when I get to Cyprus? I will then call in the Camera crew and reporters!

nunu

Chris

Message Posted:
22/06/2008 18:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 48 in Discussion

Can I have a slice of the royalties please, it was my idea about the film crew!!

Chris

phylray

Message Posted:
22/06/2008 18:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 48 in Discussion

I get that feeling too Chris, every time I put washing out!

Seriously though, I agree with a lot of what's been said & I know friends

(myself) are v. careful to utilise the water & will be even more so now.

The desalination plant on our site which has recently been completed and

which we have all paid towards, is down because of a fault & we're back

to delivery tanks again. Can't understand why the Belediyesi isn't doing more.

wynyardman

Message Posted:
22/06/2008 18:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 48 in Discussion

Bloody Hell Nunu........spooky!

Are you sure that you are not Annukai? Scalar weapons maybe?

wyn

hattikins

Message Posted:
22/06/2008 19:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 48 in Discussion

Hi,

We have a villa at the side of the old river bed(ravine) on the road up to the Baspinar, water runs down there non stop, does anyone know where it goes to and why it cannot be utilised, it must come from a spring up in the mountain somewhere.

We are lucky enough to have water for our gardens that is released every ten days or so from up in the mountains, this is a private supply I presume as the beledirye have nothing to do with it and we pay for it seperately, there are channels and a very elaborate system of allocating water to different homes at different times of the day, why can,t this water be utilised also.

We have just returned from Lapta and have spent all of our holiday trying to save water yet every day my neighbour over the other side of the ravine has hosed down the terraces and watered the garden , it does sometimes seem that there is one law for the locals and one for us, how sad is that, we all need water.

Hattikins

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 14:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 48 in Discussion

TODAY ALONE

Ozyalcin HO hosing their gardens, patio and cars

8 shops down the highstreet hosting down streets (must have been more before as it was 10am at this point)

1 Man washing his car in Girne

1 Man pressure washing his cafes windows and street

GENC Yapi Market, sprinklers on for their patch of grass in K'oglu

1 Tanker overflowing as it had been left to fill from pump station

1 Lady using bucket of water to throw on her patio

and probably a few more.....

BUT these guys have no concept of what a drought is all about - for years they have done their patios and shop fronts to keep the dust off, and nothing changes here does it!

COME ONE GOVERNMENT, COME ON BELEDYESI, do something NOWWWWW!!!! HOSE PIPE BANS, SPRINKLER BANS, IRRIGATION BANS, CAR WASH BANS - DO THE WHOLE WORKS BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!!! CHUCK PEOPLE IN THE NICK IF YOU HAVE TO!!

Littlenige

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 14:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 48 in Discussion

BELEDYESI

Watering grass in lefcosia girne guzelyurt water fountains on gine and on way to lefkosia and metahan it soon evaporates.

Ezick chicken watering grass in girne the list goes on and on photos can be supplied.

Is there a water shortage or is it to boost the income of tanker drivers ?

Tatlisu4me

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 17:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 48 in Discussion

Resevoirs in south now at 7.7% capacity

Elina

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 19:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 48 in Discussion

I am sorry for my ignorance! but has the TC government put any restrictions on water supply??

As far as I understand in the south water is only given on certain days of the week in different areas. On the other days of the week you must use what is left in your own water tank.

Cyprusunday

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 23:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 48 in Discussion

BELEDYESI

Watering grass in lefcosia girne guzelyurt water fountains on gine and on way to lefkosia and metahan it soon evaporates.

Ezick chicken watering grass in girne the list goes on and on photos can be supplied.

I think the place has to be kept looking good for the benefit of tourism, you will be saying the hotels have to drain their pools next

pussycatuk

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 11:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 48 in Discussion

I understand where everyone is coming from on not using as much water and i totally agree. however, I live in a rented house with a very large garden. The owner in the uk insists its watered everyday. I had to make an extra months bond to secure his garden would be kept ok. So do I say no and lose my bond or be one of those you see with a hose pipe in their hand watering gardens.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 48 in Discussion

You could try renting a house without such a large garden.

Nunu1

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 48 in Discussion

Pussycatuk, So what will you tell the owner when you go to water the garden one day and you turn the tap on and nothing comes out? And the same then next day, and the next day and so on!!!!!!!!!!!???????

If everybody in Cyprus did what your stupid selfish owner tells you to do, then you really will have no choice but drink seawater of Efes!..............uuumm difficult choice that.......Seawater or Efes??

nunu

pussycatuk

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 12:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 48 in Discussion

dont worry i dont water it as much as i should...some of the plants dont look too healthy either because of it but i do have to water them now and then.

As for the Efes...that would go down nicely right now. Wonder if the plants would like it too....mmmm

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 13:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 48 in Discussion

JESUS H

This morning Labores Restaurant up near to Karmi - a pipe hanging over the side of the place gushing water - great big stream going down the mountain!!

So, I stopped and asked them what they were doing - they pointed to the swimming pool (no one there, no one using it) - come and have a look they say - I said I don't want to look, I don't care, I just care about you wasting all that water. He laughed and said 'its MY water'.

That is how PIG BLOODY IGNORANT some people are - so I lost it a bit and called him a mad man and that it wasn't his water at all, what the hell was he talking about (all in Turkish of course!), stupid idiot.

Won't be going there any time soon - its on my BANNED list of places, just as Niazis are.

WETBRIT

Message Posted:
30/06/2008 22:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 48 in Discussion

Dear All, There is an answer to the problem.

http://www.buydehydratedwater.com/

The Greeks are using Tankers http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7481034.stm

newlad

Message Posted:
30/06/2008 23:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 48 in Discussion

Turkey has plenty of water and are willing to supply the greek cyps.its time they came down off their morale high ground,bit the bullet and accepted the offer of water,

Regards,

Paul.

wynyardman

Message Posted:
30/06/2008 23:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 48 in Discussion

Bloody Hell ,

Newlad becomes........ OPTOPAUL.!!.....................

Water my friend, will be the catalyst to this dispute.

Let them get all of the emnity out of their systems( in no way do I seek to demean the hurt, the pain, and the unbearable memories) and then make them see, that we have to find a way forward.

WATER IS CRITICAL both to TCs and GCs!.

They make EFFES out of it!! ( and some may wish to wash!)

Please Guys.............Give peace a chance!

wyn

wynyardman

Message Posted:
30/06/2008 23:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 48 in Discussion

HH,

Who loves you baby?

Heart in the right place! Who could fall out with you?

Chill man. Vote for the pipeline from Turkey!.

THAT WILL BE THE CATALYST, TO THE CYPRUS PROBLEM!

Only my view!

wyn

newlad

Message Posted:
30/06/2008 23:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 48 in Discussion

Wyn,

Ever the optimist thats me matey.I wonder if the gcs would accept your black pudding recipe,

Paul.

wynyardman

Message Posted:
30/06/2008 23:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 48 in Discussion

Too rich Paul....too rich.

Give them Yorkshire pudding. that will slow the buggers down.!

Have I lost the plot?.....or could this be settled before Christmas?

I'm glad thee guys don't work for me!!

wyn

newlad

Message Posted:
30/06/2008 23:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 48 in Discussion

Wyn,

Depends which christmas matey cant see it being this one,

Paul.

bindall

Message Posted:
21/09/2008 15:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 48 in Discussion

Halo i am thinking of buying an apartment at bogaz hill top are you happy with yours i can not make up my mind yet any advice please thank you

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.