North Cyprus Tourist Board - is there any car hire agency in the north allowing to go to the south?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > is there any car hire agency in the north allowing to go to the south?

is there any car hire agency in the north allowing to go to the south?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Car Hire in North Cyprus

sylvie

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 14:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

any late news according to possibility of renting from north and go to south?

Nunu1

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 15:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Sylvie, Im sure at the moment (Somebody Im sure will correct me) That it is the Greek Cypriots that will not allow a Turkish registered or TRNC) vehicle (Hire vehicle) to cross into the south as I understand it. The best way is to call a hire company in North.?

nunu1

newlad

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 15:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Sylvie,

According to the Cyprus Star,any hire vehicles that have a "Z" plate will be able to cross from North to south.This announcement came from the Turkish Chamber of commerce on the 13th of June.But as Nunu says it would be best to check first as nothing is clear cut in Cyprus.Let us know how you get on i would be interested to find out,

Regards,

Paul.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 15:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Have a friend who runs a car hire company here. As far as they are concerned none of their cars will be venturing to the south in the foreseeable future.

Also the comment from all of their colleagues bar one follows the same line. So do not expect any wonderous change.

To highlight a couple of issues - first is that of insurance in that the car hire companies will have to pay extra with their insurers for the additional risk, who will have to pay, yes you the customer.

Second is the risk of breakdown or accident while in the south. No one this side is willing to trust that their cars will be returned intact if at all.

Lastly and this is a major stopping point that of someone hiring a car in Girne for example and then driving to Larnaca or Paphos airports and leaving car there. Likelehood car would get impounded for failing to pay parking fees. The honest among you may say do not be stupid, sad fact is that in the car hire business anything can and does happen.

I hope that answers some issues, they are genuine concerns of the companies here who are already living on the edge. Some have said what about the extra business?? Unfortunatley the real issue is what about the extra risk.

sylvie

Message Posted:
21/06/2008 20:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

going home, newlad and nunu,

thanks but the turkish cypriots would have the same probleme as the gc cypriots renting cars - to my point of view it is a pity if they do not adapt because lots of people are actually renting in the south to come to the north and stay over for holidays and he could be a good market taken from GC - because the only solution to move all over the island is to rent in the south, today when you do not have one - hope things get better, i will be asking when i go there - and other question when people rent a car to the south night time can they take an insurance to cross the border at any time or is it open all the time - if not can the hire car rental in the south give that border insurance ?

newlad

Message Posted:
22/06/2008 01:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Sylvie,

The border is open 24/7,

Paul.

sylvie

Message Posted:
22/06/2008 12:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

i know that the border is open 24H a day when i dont know is : can we get insurance from south to nord with a rental car any time of the day ?

Alison

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 07:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Peeps,

The simple answer is no the insurance places are not open 24/7 if you go over at say midnight as we tried we were turned back because they were closed

Hope this hwelps

A

sylvie

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 11:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

thanks alison -

does anyone know if a south car rental can take this insurance when car hire ?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.