North Cyprus Tourist Board - Important Update on New Arm for Ismail
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Important Update on New Arm for Ismail

Important Update on New Arm for Ismail

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
24/03/2010 19:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 26 in Discussion

Hopefully the story so far will be updated soon in Cyprus Today, If I missed anyone out who attended the meeting, or anyone who has helped or offered help please forgive me, I am very busy with this.

Yesterday I spoke to Expert Prosthetic Limb Manufacturer in the UK, They are going to email some approx prices based on situations previously of similar age patients.

Because we need something to aim at that is realistic. It is obviously quite in depth. But the important thing is as follows.

Yes there is an urgency to do something, IN FACT VERY URGENT. It has been explained to me and it makes sense, Ismail needs a simplystic arm, (a basic arm) the same weight and size approx of his good arm. if he does not get this he will develop severe posture problems due to the uneven weight, very simple like carrying a heavy load constantly on one side of his body. This in time could lead to a hunchback or side hunch,

I think the family have enough problems, Dont you agree. ctd.

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
24/03/2010 20:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 26 in Discussion

The arm would need replacing around every 12 mths due to growth patterns, but the good news may be , that for the next few years he could manage with these basic arms , that are more cosmetic and essential to him.

In fact the company were most helpful, and they say that there would be no point whatsoever at this age to start trying to purchase state of the art Technolgy, due the fact that Ismail would outgrow them and the massive cost involved.

Unless of course we can find a very rich sympathetic benefactor or one of us wins the Lottery.

I will keep you all updated,

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
24/03/2010 22:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 26 in Discussion

I have just recieved some very good encouraging news from the UK will update tomorrow. Internet is up and down

Lilli

Message Posted:
24/03/2010 23:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 26 in Discussion

great news johnny cant wait to speak to you.xxxx

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
25/03/2010 19:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 26 in Discussion

Ok the update, I have been in touch with a excellent Prosthetic company in Coalsville in the UK. At this moment in time for ideas on costs, and general information only. They have been extremley helpful.

I have received an e.mail and the cost of a new cosmetic arm is much better than we expected, figures of 10,000 dollars where being mentioned, But it is actually less than £2.5K'

Maybe other countrys would be even less, also we have to think about the logistics, etc.

Also the costs would be greatly increased due to flights, for a family member , nurse or similar , and accomadation, ( it takes around 2 weeks and four visits to complete)

But at least we have a starting point.

If we could reach a substantial figure eventually, then we could finance Ismails arm for the next few years.

I have e,mailed all this info.to Cyprus Today. And Mel the reporter was going to speak to the company also.on our behalf.

Also the date as been confirmed with Pia Bella Sun May 2nd.

parkview

Message Posted:
25/03/2010 20:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 26 in Discussion

Hi Lee

Following the meeting at Guido's it seems you are pressing ahead on your own, despite my explaining issues involved. On this basis I must advise that Children in Need Foundation will not be involved in this excercise

I will email Cyprus Today and oher involved parties to inform them

Regards

Laurence

negativenick

Message Posted:
25/03/2010 21:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 26 in Discussion

mess 6.....

I know its only Thursday, but i am going to award Lawrence the Neg Nick "miserable git of the week" award..

Well done Lawrence, you should be really pleased with yourself....

nurseawful

Message Posted:
25/03/2010 22:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 26 in Discussion

Message 6

Laurence,

Could the Children in Need Foundation not do something on their own to help raise money for Ismail?

Better sometimes to have 2 or 3 different groups trying to raise money as everyone has their favourite causes / charities and will only give to these.

just my opinion.

Chris

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
26/03/2010 10:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 26 in Discussion

Message . Ok well thanks anyway, I have no choice but to move forward, as I explained in one of my previous postings, this is very urgent.

Most of us invoved in this are ordinary people with one interest at heart, Lets try and bring some smiles back to that familys faces

Message 6, Ok thanks anyway. I have no choice but to move forward, This is very urgent as I explained in one of my previous posts.

We are just ordinary genuine people,trying to get some happiness back into Ismail and his familys life.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
26/03/2010 10:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 26 in Discussion

Tsk. From football tot blood to children to etc... Does the British community in Northern Cyprus EVER agree (to cooperate) on anything..?!

parkview

Message Posted:
26/03/2010 12:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 26 in Discussion

Mssg 7 Negative Nick

As you were one of the people that questioned "where all the money went" from the Starfever show, you should know that as a registered charity here, the Children in Need Foundation have to be able to be in control of monies coming in and out as our books are open for anyone to see. As much as we would have loved to have got involved in this project it is out of our control as far as money passing though bank accounts in UK, money being handed over in person and events being held we have nothing to do with. We cannot leave ourselves wide open to this. Our charity does not hand over money to anyone, our policy is to obtain goods and services direct from bone fide suppliers and professionals. This ensures secure money managment of funds received and their subsequent distribution.

We undertook to contact and liaise with the doctor at Yasem Clinic who amputated the arm, so as to ascertain the best way forward.

parkview

Message Posted:
26/03/2010 12:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 26 in Discussion

cont....

However, Lee has decided to press ahead contacting various potential suppliers in the UK and elsewhere, and we cannot operate in this fashion. This would involve taking a child from Hatay, that currently resides in the TRNC (an un-recognised Country) to the UK. We wish Lee and his supporters all the best in negotiating this situation, and other local issues that arise in association with fund raising activity.

negativenick

Message Posted:
26/03/2010 13:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 26 in Discussion

mess 11 -12 sound like a load of old hog wash to me....

parkview

Message Posted:
26/03/2010 13:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 26 in Discussion

I won't even dignify that comment with a response!

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
26/03/2010 13:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 26 in Discussion

My contacting a clinic in the UK was simply to establish a firm sort of price. So that we have somthing to work on, and to find out the urgency of the situation.

I would imagine there is very little likley hood of Ismail being able to go the UK. And the other impotant factor was that in realilty if it is say £2.5 K in the UK, then surley it will be even cheaper in Turkey.

I have only contacted one, very helpful company, and I beleive that Mel from Cyprus Today spoke also to the gentleman yesterday to confirm my findings.

With regards to money passing through bank account (not accounts) in the UK. This is decent people with feelings in the UK trying to help us.

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
26/03/2010 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 26 in Discussion

Message 10 Hans, sorry do not mean to be rude, but on this topic, 99% of us do agree, Ismail needs an arm.

zerochlor

Message Posted:
26/03/2010 16:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 26 in Discussion

Johhny lee. may i say when i was at guidos on this meeting i feel there was only one constructive thing came from this meeting.

That was that nurseawful is going to be a joint name on the bank account here at credit west with you so that should keep all transparant for every one to know and see what is Gifted and collected.

My opinion of the children in need charity is this ,on this occasion for this little boy, children in need are not needed.

I did ask the question to laurence does all monies collected within the children in need charity go to the cause,i mean every penny,meaning are there any professional expenses,also meaning is there any of collected funds used in a way that monies are given to persons for there services.

I , we, was told no,all money goes to the charity .

I personally do have my daubts about any charity and how much money from a charity is paid in salarys to the top hieraki of a charity.

I would hate to think any of the hard earned money that would be

nurseawful

Message Posted:
26/03/2010 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 26 in Discussion

Johnny Lee,

Now this is a long shot but I have just had a thought!

The Red Cross / Red Crescent supply limbs to children in war torn countries like Iran and Afghanistan maybe they could suggest where we could get Ismail's limb at a realistic price, as I am sure they won't pay the prices we have been quoted.

Chris

zerochlor

Message Posted:
26/03/2010 17:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 26 in Discussion

cont:

collected for this child would or could be used for anything else other than what it is intended for and what johnny lee started this for .

Yes i do agree with johnny lee and i think we should crack on without the children in need banner if that is what johnny lee wishes to do and the majority of others agreeing.

I for one really dont think its a issue of what banner or heading this goes under,its a child in need not children,so im sure we all collectively can make this work and give this child a little bit of normality back to his young life.

One more thing.

On this meeting there was mention of a supper club of something and some posters showed,i understand maybe the posters where showed so people could see the green hand of children in need charity,but im still a little confused.

In a nutshell im saying.WE DONT NEED TO RUN UNDER THE HEADING OF CHILDREN IN NEED.

But im sure being the kind man you are laurence,your charity will also do its bit for this cause??

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
26/03/2010 19:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 26 in Discussion

Chris it is a good idea, it was also suggested by some one else who wants to become closeley involved with us, ( a very capable man) whom I am hoping can take some pressure off me. He is extremley well organised, and I am sure can point us in some good directions.

He also has agreat deal of experience. So we can definatley kick this idea around .

Thank you to all of you.

parkview

Message Posted:
27/03/2010 10:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 26 in Discussion

Zerocolor Mssg 17

"I , we, was told no,all money goes to the charity .

I personally do have my daubts about any charity and how much money from a charity is paid in salarys to the top hieraki of a charity.

I would hate to think any of the hard earned money that would be"

Just to set the record straight, we have no hierachy in our team of 10, and I can assure you we do not take a penny out for petrol, phones or anything else, so I actually feel pretty strongly when you suggest otherwise, as we have said, our books are open for inspection.

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
27/03/2010 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 26 in Discussion

Would people kindly refrain from bickering on this topic. As I keep New arm for Ismail, and help his family.

Hope i make my point.

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
27/03/2010 11:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 26 in Discussion

Sorry should have read as I keep saying and to help his family.

jfoggy

Message Posted:
27/03/2010 16:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 26 in Discussion

We certainly want to contribute and will make our initial dontation towards supporting Ismail to be fitted and supplied with his first new arm, when we are next in Kyrenia mid April. Thereafter,will aim to make a dontation each time we are at our apartment, as clearly over the coming years there will be the need for new arms to be made and fitted as Ismail grows. This is an ongoing project, our thanks to JohhnyLee for giving us the chance to help.

Julie

lulubell

Message Posted:
29/03/2010 21:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 26 in Discussion

Hi

I just wanted to say that i attended this meeting to find out more information about this little boys situation and what could be done to help. I listened to the story and everyone was keen to help, it was the first time for me to have met lawrence from the children in need and he is obviously someone of extreme knowledge in his field and i think it was extremely important for people who do not know how to go about helping etc to know the legalities involved, he provided sound advice with regards to dos and donts and i think people are owed this when they are about to embark on something like this. I personally appreciated this information and can then go and think about what i felt was appropriate for me. If it was a one man show then fine you can do what you like but the minute you involve alot of people surely its the correct way to explain what could happen if you perhaps did not follow the correct procedcure? anyway im not sure why there has been such a division but surely

lulubell

Message Posted:
29/03/2010 21:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 26 in Discussion

it is better to be guided by someone with knowledge and experience in such situations then risk losing your main aim through red tape and legalties. Does it really matter if you are guided or taken under a charities wing in order to achieve your main goal? I think not really as long as you acheive what you want which would be a new arm for this little boy.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.