North Cyprus Tourist Board - Gecitkale Airport.
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Gecitkale Airport.

Gecitkale Airport.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

newlad

Message Posted:
22/06/2008 22:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Hi all,

This piece is taken from a recent article in the Cyprus Star.

The minister of public works and communication,Salih Usah said that there were no reasons to prevent the tender bid-regarding the opening of the Gecitkale airport for private operation for 15 years under exclusive implementation conditions.Minister Usar said the businessman Asil Nadirs request for the tender-bid had no basis,and added that there are no particular points for the cancellation of the tender-bid.Also there are no rights or profits which Mr Nadir can benefit through its annulment.

Minister Usar emphasised that there was no veracity in the attempts to create doubts over the bidding process for the Gecitkale Airport project.He described the bidding process as " a well prepared and clearly implemented tender-bid".stating that after the two year development period the tender has been organised by a more technical exclusive commission,and not the usual Central Tender Bid Commission.

Giving information about the co-partners of the winning company,Cyprus aviation Services,the minister said that Asil Nadir was not a co-partner as had been claimed.He stated that,neither were there any Greek Cypriots within the company.And that all the required enquiries had been made about the co-partners.

Pick the bones out of that guys,

Regards,

Paul.

wynyardman

Message Posted:
22/06/2008 23:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Heck Paul,

Thats a cracker!!! Can anyone throw light on what is actually going on?

I know Asil Nadir claimed that he was the beneficial owner of Cyprus Aviation Service and that

they had been awarded the 15 year contract to develop Gectikale Airport.

This is as clear as mud now!! Can anyone illucidate?

wyn

Aslan

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 13:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

As far as I am aware the tender for Gecitkale aiport and related services has already been awarded to an American Aviation Company who has in its management portfolio both Israeli, Turkish +(Cypriot), Greek + (Cypriot), and US and UK nationals. The agreement was signed in April 2007 with conditions regarding the US military using part of the facility for its operational requirements. There are no secrets that residents in the area noted that in the early hours of August the 17th 2007 four US marked Lockheed Martin X-35 fighter jets landed at the airport and are (aparently) in the hangers waiting for to be depolyed in the middle east.

Clear as toffee!

wynyardman

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 14:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Paul,

Now there is something to be pessimistic about.!

Aslan, Good posting,

Are we right in assuming that the contract was awarded to Cyprus Aviation Services but they

now claim to be an American Company? Asil Nadir did most certainly claim that he was the

beneficial owner of that Company. This seems to be caatgorically denied by the Government spokesman.

The key questions now seem to be..............

1 Who has the contract, and who are the beneficial owners of that Company?

2 Exactly what operational reasons do the Americans want Getikale for?

3 Exactly what length is the runway to be?

4 Are there to be charter flights, and when are they scheduled to start?

5 Is there to be a citrus fruit packaging plant, and export facilities?

6 What is Adil Nadirs involvement with it all? Remember Polly Peck? (citrus fruit empire)

7 Has construction work started?

Note...When the CIA were accused of " extraordinary rendition" did they not use a front

company called....something Aviation Services?

What is the runway operational length needed for a B52 bomber?

How far is Cyprus from Iran?

WE NEED CORRECT INFORMATION. JUST WHAT IS GOING ON? ANYONE HELP?

wyn

wynyardman

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 14:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Mcsteviot,

Did you not share an Effes or 2 with the man fronting for Cyprus Aviation Services?

Can you add anything to this saga?

wyn

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 15:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Jim Beverdige is his name, and he is coming and going all the time.

He has said that Asil Nadir was only a broker in the talks and agreements with the government to get this off the ground.

He has stated that their company has no involvement with other countries, and certainly has no greek partner interest.

Blimey there is a lot of scare mongering on this site sometimes! Facts can also be scaremongery too though!

wynyardman

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 15:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

HH,

The scariest thing I have heard on this board, was you trying to stop me having any

plants in my garden. I'll bring my own water from the UK.

I hope you've noticed I'm putting in a seawater swimming pool.!

Take care,

wyn

Aslan

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 16:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Hi wynyardman,

I think we are safe regarding the B52's they will still fly out from Fairford, Brize Norton and Lyneham untill it closes!

wynyardman

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 16:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Aslan,

What is your interpretation of "operational reasons" then.

The mighty US of A has aircraft carriers all over the Med. which can accomodate any number of fighters. Why do you feel they want Gecitkale?

Are you domiciled in the UK or Cyprus

wyn

Aslan

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 17:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

I reside in the Turkish Republic of North Cyprus, if one wishes to broker a deal with the US then the US will expect you to give some of your valuable resources back. I agree that the US military has aircraft carriers in stratigic positions along the Med and the Gulf but like any military organsation you have to have a back up plan, for instance if the US focused it entirity on Iran and its borders then Colonel Gadaffi could if pursuaded use this opportunity to attack its own targets, having a flight of fighters here would give the US a capability to fight its enemies on all side without redeploying from its core engagement.

McSteviet

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Wyn,

Yes I did have a few, Efes/wines with him and his wife, but that was at least 15 months ago and have never seen or heard from him since.

Understandably, he was not going to tell me much, as he was still negociating a/the deal, so no I can't add much to this really, I wish I could.

He did seem a very upstanding type of bloke though.

MC

PtePike

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 17:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

If there will never be any direct commercial flights allowed, what is the point of another civil airport? Gecitkale's purpose has been military/standby.

newlad

Message Posted:
23/06/2008 21:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Pte,

No direct commercial flights why!!!!!! thats very pessimistic of you,

Paul.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 00:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Newlad,

Read what the private says - " if there will never be any......... flights allowed"

At the moment under the crazy auspices of the Chicago Convention, no direct flights will take place. IMHO unless the good people that run this body and the UN etc throw out the RoC and Greece there will never be direct flights.

If Gecitkale is used for commercial reasons that is fine but until the idiots in charge of International Air Transport accept that Greece and the RoC are idiots they will not fly direct. As long as the government of the USA exisist I cannot see any change because the Greek vote is paramount. That is unless the governments of UK, Germany etc do a UDI and tell tehm to shove Greece etc where the sun do not shine. Highly unlikely!!!!!!!

andysue

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 00:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

as far as i can see if the us military are deployed in the TRNC its as good as reconised it! turkey is the us most important member on the war on terror it was only a matter of time before they had a base here . . great news .regards andrew

PtePike

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 02:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Andy,

Turkey's had one helluva base in Cyprus since 1974, not just since the Gecitkale fables.

wynyardman

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 09:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Paul,

There are obvious difficulties with translation, but can any Turkish speaking member please provide a detailed interpretation of what is actually being said here, by Minister Usar.

wyn

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.