North Cyprus Tourist Board - North Cyprus Telephone Question: Vodafone, Telsim & Landlines
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > North Cyprus Telephone Question: Vodafone, Telsim & Landlines

North Cyprus Telephone Question: Vodafone, Telsim & Landlines

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» Read about Orams Case Land Dispute Judgement

» North Cyprus Title Deeds

» Is It Safe to Buy in Northern Cyprus?

Lulu14

Message Posted:
02/04/2010 14:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Can anyone help please.

If Telsim has been taken over by Vodafone, would my Vodafone iphone from the UK take a Telsim chip?

Also whats the deal with house phones in North Cyprus? I have been told that it can be a longhaul application to get one fitted...is this true?

We are moving over to North Cyprus in January and would rather have a landline for business but if the call charges from a mobile are resonable then maybe we wont have to have one installed.

I take it you can have a contract mobile phone out there or is it just pay as you go??

Thank you in advance!

kimig

Message Posted:
03/04/2010 07:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

We have lived in Alsancak for 5 years, and are still waiting for a landline. It is perfectly easy to use a mobile, and if you keep it on you you never miss a call! Yes, you can have a contract, and it's much cheaper to use.

You are going to have a shock when you move here - NOTHING is as you expect, however much research you have done - believe me. If I can help, I will.

My email is kimig1@gmail.com

nostradamus

Message Posted:
03/04/2010 07:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Certainly around Alsancak/Lapta, landline availability is pretty good - but, this depends largely on whether you are living on a new development or not. Most of the builders have not paid to have the telephone infrastructure installed and consequently this becomes a problem. Other areas suffer from exchanges with a lack of available lines. The only way to know is to go to the telephone office and ask.

UK Vodafone mobiles will not work without having the SIM lock removed - easily done. Get a contract here with either of the 2 mobile companies - it's far cheaper than pay as you go. Compare their prices carefully because they do differ considerably. Telsim, for instance, offer a deal where you get 500 mins of TRNC calls to all phones for 69TL a month. This is a good deal if you intend to depend on a mobile.

Go to the various offices and ask the questions - this is the only way you will really find out the truth! Good luck.

Lulu14

Message Posted:
03/04/2010 14:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Kim

Thanks for your reply.

We have been to TRNC many times and find out new things everytime we visit. Im sorry you have had to wait for 5 years for a landline....never even thought it would be that amount of time, but as Nostradamus said, I guess it's down to whether the building is new or not.

We had our eye on a house in Alsancak last year as a matter of fact, but seeing as the ecomony here has slowed my business here, buying it seems to be a distant dream at the moment as it was just a shell and needed to be finished., which would cost us the price of the house again.

We have decided to come out there for a year from January and make sure it is exactly want we want to do for the long term, which im sure it will be as this country is becoming a nasty place to live.

We are back over at the end of June and I think we will be doing a lot of research for things then.

I will keep your email address if thats OK and be in touch....Many Thanks to you both for taking time to answer

kimig

Message Posted:
04/04/2010 06:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Lulu - will look forward to meeting you in Jan. Let me know if I can help

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.