North Cyprus Tourist Board - Stray dog thread - what can we do to help
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Stray dog thread - what can we do to help

Stray dog thread - what can we do to help

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

the2ofus

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 11:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 38 in Discussion

I have been following the earlier thread re stray dogs and have found some info out re KAR. I am attaching (hopefully !) their web site details so if anyone wants to see if they can help the info is on there. 1 way maybe to sponsor a rescue animal at the center until it is rehomed. Hope this is useful as it seems so many of us feel the same about the dogs/cats etc here.

http://www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

phylray

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 12:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 38 in Discussion

Thanks for that - will contact them & pass it on

lesleyd

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 12:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 38 in Discussion

Great posting the2ofus and yes its a very good idea to contact KAR Rescue as they do pick up stray dogs and cats off the streets they sometime though have the animal Spayed or Neutered then have to return them back to where they found them as they have some many animals and are so under staffed plus the lack of funds they can't always keep the animals at the center. This is why more help and donations are needed.

cleos

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 23:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 38 in Discussion

Thanks for the info

It makes me feel sick when i see some of the things that go on with animals here. Maybe its a different thought process/priority/lack of understanding blah blah blah. At the end of the day if each and every one of us who says we want to help does so - it would make a differance. Nothing will change overnight. But if you look at groups such as KAR and the progress that has been made over the years you would be suprised how much has actually been achieved. It may not seem so on a day to day, week to week etc basis - but over the years through their (and their supporters) commitment the changes (when looked back upon) and the amount of animals that have been helped/saved are huge.

Its easy for us all to think "there is not a lot i can do " but there is -every little HELPS.

Come on - lets all help - it will make a difference - maybe not that we can see today,tomorrow,next week but in the end - it will.

lesleyd

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 12:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 38 in Discussion

Nice one cleos

And how right you are like you say every little thing helps, and for those people that say they are bored with nothing to do if they really do care about animals then they could spare a couple of hours or so just helping out or even maybe thinking of things that could help to raise more funds for the rescue there is still a lot of work that needs doing up there, any handy DIY men that could help to build new pens ect, just anything at all.

simbas

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 14:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 38 in Discussion

i for one am quite happy to make a monetary donation ,where would i send it ? i am not living in nc , and when i am there i'm in the bogaz area so i am unable to give manual aid as such

kind regards , simbas

lesleyd

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 15:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 38 in Discussion

Hi Simbas

So nice to hear that someone wants to help out if you go to their web site at http://www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org and maybe drop them an email asking how you can donate and also help in anyway I am sure that someone will fill you in on how and what help they are needing most at the moment. They used to have a donation page where they had a button that when presses you could make a donation but they had quite a few problems with this so we had to take it off the site for now, still waiting for the next instutions on what they want to do regards this.

Lesley

Chris

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 15:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 38 in Discussion

If we had two collectors, one in England one in NC, and, as we have 2000 members, if everybody that wanted to donated £5 and sent it to the person in the country they live, a thread could be set up showing who has donated along with a running total, it could have a time span of however long, and once the date was reached, the monies sent to KAR, if it was successful maybe we could do it twice a year, once at Xmas and once maybe this time of year

Just a thought

Chris

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 15:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 38 in Discussion

I would love to help but work and have my own animals to look after so would find it hard for time.

however, all of you who 'just want to keep busy', why don't you all stump up some of your retired persons time, and help out?!!!

simbas

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 16:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 38 in Discussion

thats a great idea chris ,

PtePike

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 16:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 38 in Discussion

How about free public education classes to teach some of the locals about cruelty to animals issues and the importance of neutering/spaying? Or is it more important not to upset people with the suggestion they are living in the dark ages? Attitudes need to change. Animals rely on us to speak out for them and we should not pussyfoot around the issue, if you'll excuse the pun.

lesleyd

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 17:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 38 in Discussion

excellent idea PtePike and Chris as for the 2000 members wouldn't it be great if we could double that I am well up for both idea's.

lesleyd

Message Posted:
28/06/2008 02:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 38 in Discussion

Hi Guys

Had this sent to me today from one of the people that help run Kar Reascue.

Hi,

the u.k. bank account details are on the website, perhaps they could make a payment but can you ask the to mark it as a donation perhaps with their name 'cos we gets confused when a payment appears on the bank statement and we don't know where it's from.

Hope this is of some help

the2ofus

Message Posted:
28/06/2008 02:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 38 in Discussion

Firstly thanks everyone who has replied/responded - it is a very emotive issue -not once (so far !!) has there been a negative remark/comment. I am glad i started this particular thread - as i hope you are.

Simbas - good on you - it is really hard when we all have our own lives/family/commitments to take care of - but at least you have said you could not give personal/physical aid but are willing to make a donation - good on you .

HotHornet - maybe could follow Simbas example - even just a once off donation (however small ) would help - it is not all about time spent.

Chris - brill idea - maybe some people would prefer it to be "anonymous" - but i, for one, would be happy to be the rep here in TRNC - dependant on others views/wishes. Lets get it started - is that a song ???

PtePike- again agree with you - we all learn from eduaction (of 1 kind or another ) - i think i saw an article that KAR had started an education programme where by they visited schools and were encouraging children to look after pets -and if they did not have a pet of their own- they were encouraged to do a mini sponsor at the rescue center - the child could go and take their sponsored dog/cat/animal out for walks - groom them - bath them - just generally become involved with them -just sit and chat and CARE - for some it is more of a learning curve than for others. Probably the children get a lot out of it as well as the animal (generally cat/dog) Without "waxing lyrical - how many of us have spent ages pouring out our hearts/thoughts/emotions/wishes with our loved pets - who just listen and never judge !! Some children (even adults) have never had that experience/chance

As cleos said - every little helps - but eventaully it will all amount to a lot.

So far we are all singing from the same song sheet - brilliant. Hope some of these ideas/pledges continue.

Look forward (as do the animals here ) to hearing from you so that we CAN make a differance.

Good on ya all.

Hilltop

Message Posted:
28/06/2008 07:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 38 in Discussion

Simbas, there is always BARK for abandoned animals in the Bogaz area. Due to its proximity to the Karpaz there are always lots of stray/deserted dogs in that area.

Or you may prefer....... http://www.trncfundraising.com/

simbas

Message Posted:
28/06/2008 08:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 38 in Discussion

hi hilltops , yes there are , and on our site ,which is not finished yet , very often we are the only people there . there are quite a few dogs , but they are so well behaved , and quite protective of you , if you come home late at night you will always find one outside your door , its quite reassuring really , i have noticed that they only bark at people they don't know so when they do bark they give me some peace of mind , they are well looked after by the workers so they are the lucky ones ,we always buy food for them , but don't feed them , if you are lazing by the pool there will be a couple there with you , but they are so sweet and are not a bother at all , i don't know what the future will bring for these dogs when the site is completed !!!. thanks for the info

regards , simbas

Chris

Message Posted:
28/06/2008 14:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 38 in Discussion

Hi the2ofus

I'm up for it I could open a separate account at the village post office, let everyone know how much we have , who donated etc and whack it into KAR's account twice a year.

My son could sort out a separate link so people could see how much and if their money was received etc...

Or, somebody else could sort it, but lets do something!!

Chris

simbas

Message Posted:
28/06/2008 14:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 38 in Discussion

well if you are willing to do it chris , thats very kind of you , count me in

simbas

the2ofus

Message Posted:
28/06/2008 18:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 38 in Discussion

Yes add me in - great if you don't mind organising it.

Maybe we could do 1 payment to KAR and the other to BARK (the one near Bogaz) - they are just staring out and probably would also appreciate some support. At the end of the day both KAR and BARK will help the animals of TRNC as much as their funds allow.

cleos

Message Posted:
28/06/2008 18:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 38 in Discussion

Put my name down. Just think if we have 2000 members and we only had 1000 who gave just 5 pound twice a year - both rescue centers would get 5k per year from cyrus44 board members. - that would be a help to them i am sure.

C'mon board members are you really going to miss a whole 10 pounds per year !!! Its not even a heavy night on the Effes !!!!

Hilltop

Message Posted:
29/06/2008 14:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 38 in Discussion

For those on the Famagusta side of the Island

http://share.ovi.com/original.aspx?channelname=HilltopBogaz.public&media=HilltopBogaz.10003

Chris

Message Posted:
29/06/2008 18:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 38 in Discussion

I can sort it this end, but need to know what method of payment most would prefer, direct transfer to a central account, paypal could set one up but it takes a few days, or cheques?

With the direct transfer there would be a small charge made by paypal everytime a payment was put into the account.

If it was cheques, I could put it into a central (new) account, my son would make a link so people could see how much we are saving, then it could be transferred to the HSBC account that KAR have on their website, once or twice a year???

Any suggestions would be good.

Chris

simbas

Message Posted:
29/06/2008 19:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 38 in Discussion

well if cheques would be easier , i have no problem with that !

thanks , chris

Chris

Message Posted:
29/06/2008 20:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 38 in Discussion

It would be easier for me, to be honest, but I thought I would see what everybody wanted first!

Thanks Simbas

Chris

the2ofus

Message Posted:
29/06/2008 23:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 38 in Discussion

Thats fine by me also Chris.

Bit disappointing that we are not haveing more of a response - we need to keep this thread going or start new one (same topic with differant title !).

TTFN

simbas

Message Posted:
01/07/2008 11:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 38 in Discussion

hi chris , just posting to keep this post going , c'mon people , we are supposed to be a nation of animal lovers , show your support

regards , simbas

cleos

Message Posted:
03/07/2008 10:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 38 in Discussion

Count me in as well - any method of payment is fine with me.

Agree with you Simbas.

Come on cyprus44 members don't you want to help ????!!!!!!! Where has all your "wanting to help our adopted country" spirit gone !!!! - or does that only apply if you do not have to put your hand in your pocket. As i said before what is being suggested (£10 PER YEAR) is not even a good night out on the Efes.

Please - this is something that can/will make a difference.

simbas

Message Posted:
11/07/2008 10:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 38 in Discussion

Hi chris , are we still doing this , things are a bit quite , anyhow , just give me details so i can send cheque to you

hope you and john are keeping well , regards , simbas

Talla

Message Posted:
11/07/2008 15:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 38 in Discussion

I have six stray dogs that I've either adopted or they've adopted me, I could take in more as I see stray animals frequently; however you have to draw the line somewhere.

Also, I thought it would be a good idea if KAR asked a lot of the popular restaurants if they could place a 'scrap bin' in their kitchens and collect all the leftovers...I know whenever I'm out for a meal I always ask for the table scraps to be put in a bag for the dogs. Perhaps they've already done this, I don't know.

Also, I know a lot of you will disagree, but I do believe in 'humanely' putting stray dogs to sleep if there is no room to board them at the shelter rather than spaying/neutering and putting them back out on the streets. As they then face a miserable life of scavenging for food and starvation, being hit by a car, possibly not killed outright and lying in agony dying in a bush somewhere, or being poisoned by locals as they are raiding bins and making a mess. We had to put a poisoned dog out of it's misery last summer and it was a very horrific thing to have to witness and the terror in the dogs eyes will never leave me! I've also had 3 of my own dogs poisoned, thankfully all three are still with me. It's important to educate the children in the schools, as the older generation...well I fear it's falling on deaf ears trying to convey the rights of animals to them. I do know that the government vets will put stray animals to sleep, as I've seen it first hand at the quarantine centre in Lefkosa. I know 'I 'would prefer to be put out my misery than roam with a constant feeling of fear and starvation, not to mention infestation of fleas/ticks and internal parasites!

Also, two of my animals came to Cyprus with me from previous countries that I've lived in, a pet isn't just for Christmas after all! I think it's terrible when people take in animals here, then decide not to stay, go away and leave them, turfing them back out in the streets! I do firmly believe, if you can't re-home it, put it to sleep it's the kindest thing to do!

Chris

Message Posted:
11/07/2008 16:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 38 in Discussion

Hi Simbas

I am still up for sorting it all out, but so far there seems to be only 3 of us that are interested, and we could just send a donation to the bank mentioned on KARS website if that is the case!

John and I are fine, but my youngest son , when I say youngest, he is 27! is in hospital at the moment, which is why my postings have been erratic as of late.

Hes over the worse and should be out soon, I think he is coming home to mum for some R&R!!

Chris

simbas

Message Posted:
11/07/2008 17:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 38 in Discussion

oh sorry chris , hope everything is ok with your son now , you take care

regards , simbas

Littlenige

Message Posted:
11/07/2008 18:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 38 in Discussion

One could always eat them, there are so many people in need in trnc a good healthy mealy made from all this abundant meat may solve a lot of problems.

Chris

Message Posted:
11/07/2008 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 38 in Discussion

Well thats everybody avoiding YOUR barbeques from now on!!

LOL

Chris

rtddci

Message Posted:
11/07/2008 23:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 38 in Discussion

I understand that KAR gets financial support from the UK RSPCA.

Chris

Message Posted:
11/07/2008 23:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 38 in Discussion

They also get support from Naomi Mehmet, as she donates the interest she makes from holding our monies until she gives it to the developers between KAR and Cancer relief, but the donatees outway the donations!!

Every little helps.

You know it makes sense.

Chris

limony777

Message Posted:
18/09/2008 19:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 38 in Discussion

Hi all,

I just fealt the need to write this message as we get ready food for a couple of strays we are feeding at present and trying to rehome.

We phisically have no space of financial capacity left to take in more BUT, there is a BUT or course, what we need are homes to be offered and help with finding homes. Its not only KAR that needs help, there are alot of individuals going around looking after these animals all over and we need help with homes!

We get them healthy, fit, vaccinated etc but we just cant find a home for them, by 'home' we mean not for hunting, not to be tied up and left outside without love or feeding in this heat and then cold in the winter.

So if anyone out there has room for a dog, be it small medium large, pure bred or mixed please post because you'll recieve alot of replies im sure.

Thanks all for caring and God Bless

Littlenige

Message Posted:
18/09/2008 19:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 38 in Discussion

i am not being calous but why not open a dogy kebab shop ??

Well done i hope your valiant efforts are rewarded and you find homes for all your strays, Mr.Hans he likes stray dogies.

cattywatty

Message Posted:
18/09/2008 19:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 38 in Discussion

Please count me in for a donation. Happy to give £10 each to KAR and BARK

As some one else mentioned on the board earlier its only the cost of a cheap night out.

Thetwo of us, you know who I am I will hand over the readies on Sat!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.