North Cyprus Tourist Board - article by stephen day in cyprus today
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > article by stephen day in cyprus today

article by stephen day in cyprus today

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 15:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

the article is a week old and I have edited pieces. It would seem that we need to put a little work in to secure a future in cyprus. Comments please

BRS needs to act

'Fellow columnist Tom Roche last week identified two great truths. First that the present cyprus talks will probably fail, and second that if they succeed, it is we expatriates that have the most to lose.

The property issue is a the heart of the cyprus dispute. Many expatriates see reunification of cyprus as the route to safeguarding their property interests and pushing up house prices. They could not be more wrong. Any resultant Greek dominated federal government of cyprus is likley to see deeds issued by the former "illegal" TRNC as worthless, even if they cover pre 74Turkish Cypriot land. Mark my words: a post unification Greek cypriot presidency would be out to get us.

The government sees the British residents association (BRS) as the voice of the whole expatriate community. That is why the BRS has to be careful what they say, and even more careful how they say it......................

Gordon Browns massive blunder of concluding a "memorandum" with the GC President has justifiably incensed Mehmet Ali Talat...............

We should tell President Talat that we share his anger and are prepared to do something about it. We should make clear as foreign nationals, we accept the right of people to decise their own future. We should offer our support in lobbying the British government and opposition in support of a bipartisan settlement in cyprus that grants equal rights to both cypriot communities. That would maintain the BRS'S commitment to a bipartisan approach and at the same time bring balance to a British policy that continually favours south Cyprus. We should ask to meet British ministers and MP's whenever they visit cyprus. We should encourage expatriates to lobby their MP's and facilitate thei ability to do so. For thoise who live here permanantly, we should encourage them to sign up as British overseas voters. Thye would then have to an MP to lobby. If the BRS insists on trips abroad, let it include one to London to lobby Westminster.

In return we should ask President Talat to ensure rights as foreign property owners are given due consideration in the talks process. Merely complaing will guarantee our interests remain marginalised.

The TRNC must have no doubt where we stand. As a consequence, our privately expressed legitimate concerns are more likely to be heard.

Public sniping, carping and complaining will do us no good. The BRS needs vision and leadership. I believe Eleanor Coles can provide it. The whole British community has a vested interst in her doing so. We should all wish her well'

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 18:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

ILC

i totally agree and only see the talks as a way for cypriots only to decide on their own seperate ways .

a talk before a divorce perhaps ?

i cant see any cypriot really wanting to live with the other,i may be wrong but my view is they will all feel a little untrusting .

this to me would spell disaster for any "property issues " relating to foreign investors .

very interesting views from report and one i share ,dont want property prices going up as this brings problems from undesirable investors and holiday makers .

kav

wynyardman

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 19:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Hi All,

Oh yea of little faith!

My thoughts are well stated on this board. I remain convinced!

Anybody thirsty? ( I have heard about the Greek tankers!) A quick fix.!

wyn

Littlenige

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 20:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

brits will be sold down the road for not even a sniff in the comrads deal, if you believe other wise welcome to cloud cuckoo land.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 20:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Well put kav.

That is the only solution that will work IMHO.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 11:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Hi all

I have always felt that the two sides would be much better off going their own separate ways. My intuition (which has none to be wrong at times) says that the GC's intention is to secure land, power and property rights first and foremeost and reunifying with the TC's is secondary. Are these really the right reasons to unfiy? Do they really see each other as brothers and sisters destined only to reunite in harmony?

The trouble is my brain plans and thinks about worst case scenarios. I am subject to bouts of paranoia.

What if they do reunify? The GC's will hold the majority power. There are more modern ways of surpressing another race and having your way without resorting to violence.

I know Little Nige see's himself as the victim in his everyday transactions with TC's but he has a point. Has anybody in the government come out and said that Brits will be protected in the North? I have not heard a statement to this effect.

Rightly so in any reunification, the Turkish settlers will be protected first and foremost. Who is going to be the canon fodder when compromises will be needed? Have we served our purpose? We have provided a valuable source of revenue to an ailing economy.

Don't get me wrong I really like the TC people. I have only experienced great things from them. The everyday people are warm and welcoming. In a political situation though tough and compromising decisions have to be made.

The newspaper calls for us to support the TC government. I know this is going to be hard for many because they have not felt protected in their property negotiations, however there are times where one might have to do a little sucking up.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Also the two leaders who solve the cyprus leaders will forever become legends. Their names will be entred in to the history books. They will have succeeded where others have failed. That's quite a nice little prize.

President Talat might be a little concerned though, because he could be muscled out in any federal government and not enjoy the present power that he does..

PtePike

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 12:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

"In return we should ask President Talat to ensure rights as foreign property owners are given due consideration in the talks process. Merely complaing will guarantee our interests remain marginalised."

Very much wishful thinking IMHO. One of the biggest bargaining chips apart from Maras is the GC property now occupied by foreigners, most of whom are worthless in voting terms and have few of the rights enjoyed by Cypriots. Any equity remaining in expat-owned holiday homes (allowing for the property slump) could be used to pay compensation to the Cypriot refugees, whose rights to their own country must come before those of foreign speculators as part of an overall settlement.

koronion

Message Posted:
28/06/2008 11:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

All the above comments are based on the assumption that there will be a settlement ( sometime this year ???)

Surely any agreement reached by Talat and Christofias will first have to have the consent of the people . The first condition that Christofias will demand is that the majority of Turkish troops are removed from North Cyprus . Can you in all honesty see Talat then meeting the commander in chief of Turkish forces and telling him he'd like them to leave -----I don't think so --- and that's only the first stumbling block .

It won't happen

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
28/06/2008 12:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Good points Koronion

I think the Turkish Military have stated that they will pull out once they know for certain that the TC's are properly protected. Of course, if the Turkish army want to stay in Cyprus then no agreement will ever provide enough protection.

If both sides reach a satisfactory agreement, then It is going to be difficult for the Turkish military to stay on the island. The US will probably back Turkey, but the other security council members will not. Turkey will no longer be able to claim it's objective in Cyprus was one of intervention. Alot depends on the standing of the AK party and what part Turkey wants to play in Europe and the world.

Yes you are right there are alot of hoops to go through and there may never be an agreement. I pay attention to alot of Ismets (elko's) postings as he has been through various peace talks in the past and is in a alot better position to understand what is likely to happen, but things can change.

This posting was about contingency planning

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.