North Cyprus Tourist Board - Weather in Winter
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Weather in Winter

Weather in Winter

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
13/06/2007 14:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

What are the winters like? Does it start to get cold in November and warm up in March?

Is the Heating function on the air conditioners sufficent to warm an apartment/villa?

Do you really need central heating?

If you don't have central heating can you buy convector heaters and if so does anyone know the cost?

Susie

Message Posted:
13/06/2007 15:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

We bought a couple of convector heaters from Amanda's Auction in Ozankoy for about £8 each. Haven't been there in winter to try them yet!

Details of auction in 'Cyprus Today'

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
13/06/2007 15:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Wow, thats cheap. Thanks Susie

ttoli

Message Posted:
13/06/2007 18:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

i have oil fired central heating, it's handy for Dec + Jan, but to fill the 750 Ltr tank costs close to 1000 YTL, last winter i got by with an electric underblanket and a quilt, also depends on whether your home is open plan/Marble floors etc, if open plan cetainly invest in some curtains to retain heat in different sections.

Bradus

Message Posted:
13/06/2007 23:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

We spent a week in Girne last November. Brilliant sunshine during the day but night time was quite cold. Our apartment is due for completion in November (ish) and the nearest holiday from work for us will be Christmas. We had thought about going over there and sorting furniture out but most people have suggested to leave it till its a bit warmer and warned us about the cold which is not helped by the frequent powercuts.( I am a real misery if I'm cold) Apartment has pipework installed for central heating but we would have to pay exra for full installation. As it is just going to be used as a holiday home I was not sure if it was worth doing. Maybe if we do go in December it will help me decide if we should go for full installation.

shona2

Message Posted:
14/06/2007 10:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Hi All,

On the subject of heating does anyone know where I can pick up a woodburning stove and an approximate price please?

Shona

simbas

Message Posted:
16/07/2007 17:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Hi

We have had a villa in iskele for three years we usually holiday from spring onwards .But we went in january i have never known cold like it ! the whole house is marbled floors and the terraces surroundind the villa. also we are open planned enough the air conditioning wasnt efficient enough and the halogen heaters were not that good either we were so miserable it was warmer outside than inside. Gluttons for punishment we went back in march it was slightly warmer.went back in april and it was glorious.we will be definatly be getting central heating!!!!!!!!!

good luck simba

pilgrim

Message Posted:
16/07/2007 17:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

spent new year and february,air con heaters very good,but need oil filled rad when out so temp doesn't drop to much days glorious 4onwards chilly.

DONTY

Message Posted:
16/07/2007 17:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

It can feel real cold from december thru till about march. in reality its not as cold as the UK but the houses arent built to retain heat (double brick construction can help a little) with open plan everything and ceramic/marble all over the place.

A/C units help but only if you are sitting under the airflow or you are in a small room. lots of people use gas (bottle) heaters as these are generally cheaper to use than A/C though i use a combination of oil filled rads plugged into the electric (expensive) A/C and gas heaters as im a wimp when it comes to being cold. best advice is get a big thick duvet and bring your partner for body warmth!!!!

McSteviet

Message Posted:
22/07/2007 00:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

We have central heating pipework installed, but need to assess if the AC will do the job or not.

I guess it depends how long you will be there during the winter, if at all.

If not much, then AC might just take that edge off the air.

suck it and see.

MC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.