North Cyprus Tourist Board - Kyrenia to Limassol....how long would it take?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Kyrenia to Limassol....how long would it take?

Kyrenia to Limassol....how long would it take?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Kyrenia North Cyprus

» Kyrenia Cyprus Photo Gallery

» Kyrenia Sights

Lulu14

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 17:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Can anyone tell me how long it would take to drive from Kyrenia to Limassol? Also is it and easy drive, i.e, are there main roads all the way?

Thanks!

dublinderm

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 18:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Limassol from Nicosia should not take more than an hour once you are past the city centre. It is motorway all the way.

Unfortunately, getting through South Nicosia is the difficult bit and can be hell if you travel at the wrong time of day. Avoid the morning (0600 - 0700) and evening (1500-1700) rush hours and the time around lunch (1300) as most Cypriots seem to find spending their lunch time in their cars as somehow therapeutic!

There are several choices through Nicosia if you cross at Metehan. Many skirt around the city through Makedonetisa, but straight to Makarios Avenue can be better if you time it right.

Kyrenia to Nicosia is usually 30 minutes.

DD

Lulu14

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 18:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Thanks for your response DD, its been a great help!

We are moving out there in January and my partner was looking at working there, but I guess that would be a hell of a drive with traffic, so maybe he should look at other options.

Lulu

Maz

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 20:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Ouch, I would have thought that commuting would have been worse than travelling to London from the sticks. The other problem could be that sometimes the crossing itself can have delays dependent upon many factors, so you might have to leave anything from 2-3 hours to get to Limassol - again depending what end.

Maybe the only way would be to work Mon to Fri and come back week-ends, but not good for relationships.

Lulu14

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 21:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

We live in Oxfordshire now Marie and he drives 20 miles each way just to get the train into London. The travelling time for there and back is 5 hour per day; so moving to TRNC, you would hope he wouldn't have to do anything like that amount of travelling.

Lets just hope Nicosia comes up trumps or its back tp the drawing board! Couldn't imagine being away from him all week just to earn a living!

Maz

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 21:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

So what does he do, Lulu? I agree with you that the last thing you want is to be in the same, or even worse situation than U.K. I am sure that if it is right, something will slot in, but if you want any other info, just ask through this Forum! Good luck

dublinderm

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Here is a thought.

Limassol is what we Irish call a kip! Why not consider renting somewhere in the villages in the low Troodos and just visiting across to the North.

I suspect if you regularly travel from North to South as an Expat, you will quickly come to the notice of the GC Police. They could make life very unpleasant.

Good Luck.

DD

Lulu14

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 22:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

He is a project manager in IT, mainly investment banking Marie so I think he will only find work of that sort in the larger towns. Im sure he would be open to other jobs in the Project managing field, but I think maybe a career change altogether is on the cards.

I couldn't imagine having to live in the South, that would beat the whole dream of moving to Northern Cyprus, which we have both wanted to do for some years now.

We are over beginning of July, maybe we should do some asking around then, who knows!!

Thanks for your thoughts DD, didn't realize the GC Police would be that anal!

Maz

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 23:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Well you have the choice of Nicosia, Kyrenia and maybe even Famagusta. Has he tried HSBC, and CreditWest, and may Iktisat Bank, or even Turkbankasi. They might not need anyone; they might not have vacancies; they might not take 'foreigners' but I know that the first two do,and like anywhere else, there is quite a bit of competition. But.... someone has to get the jobs.

If you were interested, I am sure some folk could give you contacts and he could send a CV or better still when over in July try to get to see some folks.

Oh and quite a lot of people DO cross over the border every day for work, and kids cross the border to go to school, but you don't want to come out and get too much stress do you? If you can't find the info you want, drop me a line and I will see if I can come up with some contacts. Again, good luck!

Lulu14

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 23:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Thanks Marie, you're a STAR!!!

xx

Maz

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 00:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Ah, as the old song says 'If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.'

I need some Brownie points up abolve with the stars!

You're welcome!

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 09:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

DublinDerm

My wife works in the South and travels over daily. She has never experienced any problems with either the GC police or customs, in fact as a 'regular' she is treated most courteously. I am afraid that these sort of misconceptions/urban myths only further exacerbate the ways that the two communities perceive each other.

Lulu

As an EU citizen, there are no (current) restrictions that would prevent your husband living in the North and working in the South.

Paul

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 21:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

IF there had been an agreed settlement between the TCs and GCs I would have considered working in Nicosia and living on the north coast.

I commuted from Limassol to Nicosia every day.. I grew to HATE it.. as I moved to CY to be by the sea.

We enjoyed crossing over to the north for leisure and living/ working in the south - NEVER had an issue with rudeness from anyone at crossing points.. just hassle getting into the 'rump' RoC when landing - as the computer was NEVER updated and my wife was constantly thought to be someone on a 'stop list'.... :(

Maz

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 22:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

I thought Lulu was merely concerned about the commuting. My only fear would be possible hold ups using up time, and I can quite understand hating the trip. When I lived in Limassol, going to Nicosia was a rare thing, and I would have hated to work there unlessI lived in Nicosia itself.

I can understand Lulu's concerns about seeing little of her husband. I always found it easier to live and work in the same place. Gives one less expense and more time for leisure, and I am sure that is what Lulu wants.

Again, good luck in the search.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.