North Cyprus Tourist Board - Have you had an Internet outage today 11th April in Cyprus?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Have you had an Internet outage today 11th April in Cyprus?

Have you had an Internet outage today 11th April in Cyprus?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

scruff

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 21:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

Have other Cyprus members been having problems with the Internet today? I have had a 4hr outage between 2pm & 6pm & yet another between 7pm & 8.30pm. All times approximate.

I am trying to establish if this has been a problem with all ISPs or just EXtend/Arinet? Have Nethouse & Sunny Cyprus users been affected?

I know that Turkcell 3G has been unaffected.

I am totally fed up with the internet here in Cyprus. The outages are becoming a regular occurence, especially on a Sunday. 9 hrs, a couple of weeks agao. I was unaware that any ISPs worked on Sundays, so I don't see how this can be maintenance, but it doesn't make sense to me, that the internet goes of for hours & then comes back.

Can anyone explain what is going on? Thanks in anticipation.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

No problems for this Nethouse N. customer. Not today, I mean. Don't ask me about other days though... :-(

Brinsley

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 21:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

Msg 1

Been 'outed' today?

Richard

scruff

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 21:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

Thanks for the reply DC. So nethouse has been okay today but not always good. I had hoped that you would report that Nethouset was good all the time.

I am running out of options for a reliable Internet service. 3G dongle is not an option because of a) limited download per month & also no option to run more than one PC at a time, due to non-availability of a router to share the connection that was promised when the service commenced. 3G was going to be the answer to evryone's prayers, but as usual failed to deliver the much hyped performance, after a short while.

Brinsley. Can I assume that your answer indicates that your internet has also been down today too?

AllyTT

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 21:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

The 9 hour outage a couple of Sundays ago (can't remember exactly when). was island wise. The local Telco had to cut the main fiber connection to Turkey to be able to re-route it around the Kyrenia Bypass. No outage today.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 21:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

Yes!

Richard

biglugs

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

We have nethouse and find their service excellant

Carndi

Message Posted:
11/04/2010 22:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

I am with Extend and the internet was down for several hours yesterday and then again twice today.

Have been with extend since it started and have always been happy with the service BUT in the last two months there has been nothing but problems.

Deniz1

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 05:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

Only one day i had problems with nethouse the first for three years but they apologised some problem with the relay station.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 07:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

I am with Extend and had a couple of outages yesterday but on the whole I am very happy with the service.

Paul

Navek

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 08:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

Hi scruff,

Nethouse was OK yesterday.

but over the last week or so

it was up and down more than a whores knickers.

Would open my emails, then it was down before I could open the next one.

Have decided to revert back to previous methods of communication,

Semaphore lessons on Mondays, for local calls, to Esentepe Village & Turtle Bay.

Smoke Signals on Tuesdays for calls from Esentepe to Girne & Lapta.

Morse Code on Wednesdays for when there's no power cuts.

Carrier Pigeon on Thursdays, but their a bit messy when not in use,

and unreliable when it's shooting season.

Was going to use message in a bottle, but decided against that, for various reasons.

Hope you have better luck today with your provider.

Navek

jasmina

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 08:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Yes we were off most of yesterday, with Extend, getting a bit fed up with it! especially at weekends.

louthlass

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 09:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

We were off too,but on the whole happy with Extend. Fortunately I can still find lots to do, as life is so much better here than it was some 27 years ago when we had no electricity every evening, and you had to find other things to amuse yourself. Try playing cards and tavla by candlelight, such fun.

scruff

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 17:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

Thanks for all the replies, especially message 11 from Navek. You made me smile. Semaphore lessons seem a good alternative option.

Message 5 - AllyTT

The nine hour outage to which you refer took place only last Sunday 5th. Everyone suffered from that, when the fibre optic cable was cut. This was not the same 9 hour outage that I was referring to in my message 4. That was an earlier one which seems to have specifically hit us & our base station at the Malpas hotel.

Message 13

I too can find lots else to do, but do expect a service if I'm paying for it. I have been here long enough 365 days per year to understand about legnthy power cuts as well. What have they got to do with an unreliable internet service.

Having blown Extend out over 2 years ago after 3 dreadful months with them, I did not want or expect to be back with them again. Arinet/Bortec are now in bed with EXtend as a result of the merger & I'm now suffering yet again, with Extend's abysmal customer service.

scruff

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 17:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

Contd.

Sorry to say, at the end of the day, if I'm paying for a service, I expect to get what I'm paying for, even on a Sunday or is this wrong?

If people put up with apalling customer service here & never complain about it, how will things ever improve?

Maybe after 27 yrs in the TRNC, you need to end your "isolation"? Things are not like this in Turkey are they?

It's about time that all the people living here complained when complaint is justified.

On a final note I did not arrive here yesterday!!!!

Teresa

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 18:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

Scruff i am with Nethouse here in Karsiyaka and have been with them for 2 years. On the whole the service is good and i think better then any of the others around. Had a few problems over the past couple of weeks called them out and they have now changed our dish. They have an out of hours help desk which as far as i know none of the other have. In my humble opinion Nethouse are the best.

skybluesam

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 19:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

I Totally agree with Jenny on this one, appalling customer service yet again!, told that it was a problem with hardware on my roof and an engineer would be out, now this morning told it was a general island wide outage but the engineer would still be coming out when he gets round to it.

I am afraid Extend have now got to big and forgot about the customer!

Nick

scruff

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 22:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

Thanks once again for the replies.

I shall re-address this problem, next time we have another long outage. In the meantime Teresa, thanks for the info. about Nethouse. They are likely to be my next ISP, I think, especially since you report that they have an out of hours help desk. Does this include Sundays or am I asking too much? I do not expect a helpdesk in the wee small hours btw.

At the end of the day, I'm trying to be reasonable & don't expect a service without a hiccup every now & then, but I do expect, when dealing with Private enterprise here, to be able to ask why is this happening, without getting shouted at angrily & rudely as I was, very recently, when I simply asked just that question. Not really the best way to treat paying customers is it?

scruff

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 22:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

Hi Nick.

I've just spotted that, to add insult to injury, you were told Porkies by Extend today. It clearly wasn't an Island wide problem yesterday, unlike last Sunday, when it was.

Instead, yesterday it was an Extend & all who sail in her, only problem. Don't these people realise that we talk to each other & we find out who is lying to us?

J

letty

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 22:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

3G dongle plugged into one computer can be set up to serve as many computers as you like. Ours is running 2 at the min. obviously the computer with the dongle in has to be on to run the rest. we took it co a computer shop and they set it up. settings only no hardware.

scruff

Message Posted:
12/04/2010 22:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

Thanks for that letty. Unfortunately I do do a lot of downloading (20 to 30 gig a month) & doubt if the limited download, with a dongle would work for me.

Seasider

Message Posted:
13/04/2010 10:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

I live in Catalkoy and had the same problem with outage. Spoken with Extend this morning and they have advised that my account had not been paid which it had. They then told me they have merged with a mainland ISP (Arinet) and all subscriptions should now be paid to Amet Telekom and the account number is 103041079 at Universal Bank. They say they advised all users of this change last month - they didnt advise me!

They have now given me a 48 hour extention to retrieve monies paid in to wrong account and pay in to new account. Why they cannot do this could not be explained. Also why I was not informed could not be explained.

scruff

Message Posted:
13/04/2010 13:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

I can assure you that Arinet was not a mainland ISP. They were based in Lefkosa, supplying mostly large businesses here, including some big well known names.

The new Arinet is a merger, but I don't understand the "mainland" remark that Extend have made. They may have a new backer though, but it is still a TRNC ISP only, to my knowledge.

How typically EXtend that they did not tell their customers to pay a new Bank & when people paid the old bank account, they cut them off? Great customer service, as ever, from EXtend!!!!!!!!!!!

Navek

Message Posted:
14/04/2010 13:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

re msg 11 above.

Contacted Nethouse via H&N Computers, Ozanköy.

H&N explained my problems to Nethouse.

Within hours my Internet speed was back to normal ))

Well done H&N.

Navek

Navek

Message Posted:
14/04/2010 15:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

Update,

Nethouse have just fitted a new box on the roof too ))

512 Kbps seems to be good enough for me, for now.

Watch this space!

Navek

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.