North Cyprus Tourist Board - Act Against Embargoes on North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Act Against Embargoes on North Cyprus

Act Against Embargoes on North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

Alasian

Message Posted:
01/07/2008 03:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

http://embargoed.org/campaigns.php

Current Embargoed! Campaigns

We need your help to bring about the immediate and unconditional end to all embargoes levied against North Cyprus and its citizens. Below are details of Embargoed! campaigns you can get involved with:

Support the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the Turkish Cypriot People:

Please read this Charter and support it by signing our petition. Then send the link to all your family and friends to also sign. We need as many people as possible to sign.

Equal rights for Turkish Cypriots! Lobby your local politician to sign our Charter petition: Use this sample letter to ask your local councillor or your local politician (Member of Parliament (MP) or Councillor) to sign the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the Turkish Cypriot People to show their commitment to equal political, economic and social rights for everyone in Cyprus.

If you live in the UK, you can look up your local MP through clicking here: theyworkforyou.com/mp/

We want direct flights!: Lobby the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) to enable direct flights to and from North Cyprus. Use this sample letter to tell Dr. Assad Kotaite – President of the Council of ICAO – that everyone from the UN to the UK Government has pledged to do it, so what’s the delay?

End Media Bias on Cyprus: “Cyprus has been split into the Greek Cypriot-controlled south and the Turkish-occupied north since Turkey invaded in 1974 in the wake of an abortive coup by supporters of union with Greece.” If you are fed up with seeing these types of biased media commentary, then use this sample letter sample letter to tell the offending media that they need to create a more balanced statement on the Cyprus conflict and keep reminding them until they change!

Lobby your MP to end Turkish Cypriot isolation: Help us to remind world leaders of their unfulfilled promises to end the embargoes against North Cyprus. Use this sample letter to ask your local MP or, for EU citizens, Member of the European Parliament (MEP) and other politicians to take action on this issue.

simbas

Message Posted:
01/07/2008 08:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

morning alasion , done !

regards , simbas

PtePike

Message Posted:
01/07/2008 11:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Alasian,

There's nothing wrong that I can see in the media line you quoted. You can't expect serious newspapers to support one side over the other, and the paragraph cited explains the situation with brevity and accuracy.

Biker

Message Posted:
01/07/2008 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Signed.

Biker

Littlenige

Message Posted:
01/07/2008 15:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

I think import duty/ taxes are a bigger problem than embargoes.

newlad

Message Posted:
01/07/2008 20:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

signed,

Paul.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
01/07/2008 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

all signed

dy1259

Message Posted:
01/07/2008 20:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

I have signed it.

Alasian

Message Posted:
01/07/2008 21:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

“Cyprus has been split into the Greek Cypriot-controlled south and the Turkish-occupied north since Turkey invaded in 1974 in the wake of an abortive coup by supporters of union with Greece.”

PtePike, the above lines are not impartial because:

*Cyprus was divided in 1963(See Green line) when the Greek Cypriot terrorists occupied the Republic of Cyprus forcefully kicking out the Turkish Cypriots from the government as well as their houses -unless they were living in Freedom Fighter protected Enclaves-.

*Northern Cyprus is not occupied by the Turkey. The Turkish army as one of the legal guarantors of Cyprus resides in North Cyprus under the consent of the Turkish Cypriot Nation.

If the Turkish Cypriot Nation that is one of the two equal owners of Cyprus, says that Turkish army is not an occupation force, than there is nothing to argue, as it would be absurd to say that the army is an occupation force, while around %95 percent of the Cypriots would not agree that it leaves Cyprus without a solution.

*Northern Cyprus is not Turkish occupied but is as much as Turkish Cypriot controlled as is Southern Cyprus Greek Cypriot controlled. Supporting the reverse is rejecting the right to self governance of the Turkish Cypriot nation.

Alasian

Message Posted:
01/07/2008 21:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks to all the signatures for supporting humanity.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
01/07/2008 21:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

you are very welcome Alasian. TC's have been treated appalingly by the International community

PtePike

Message Posted:
01/07/2008 22:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Alasian,

I hear what you're saying, but it's not correct to say Cyprus was divided by the Green Line in 1963. The Green Line applied ONLY to Nicosia. The rest of the island was not divided until 1974 - and the TC enclaves were located all over the island. For example my neighbour, who became a senior DP politician, and his family lived in a mixed GC/TC suburb and the troubles of 1963 and 1974 did not affect them as TCs. He remained in a goverment job until he retired and they were not kicked out of their house nor herded into an enclave. This happened to some communities but by no means all. But I agree the island was politically divided in 1963 with the TCs setting up parallel police and public bodies. Although people were being attacked and killed by and on both sides, by the late 1960s normalisation if it can be called that was returning in terms of intercommunal talks.

I have to disagree with you over the Turkish occupation of the north. There are UN resolutions reminding Ankara that what it's doing in Cyprus is illegal and unacceptable to the outside world. Turkey had a right to intervene and have my support for doing do, but they are now considered an occupation force by the whole world. The Turkish Cypriot people do not have a say in the matter. Even their police are part of the Turkish army. How undemocratic is that? So I don't know how you can say the north is Turkish Cypriot controlled when Turkey calls the shots and is held responsible by the UN for controlling the north. Greece has no say outside the EU for what happens in the south. Turkey has EVERY say about what happens in the north.

Alasian

Message Posted:
02/07/2008 03:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Cyprus was divided in 1963 and it was not only Nicosia that was divided(that is a major example only) but the whole island.

All the major towns Limasol, Paphos, Larnaka were completely seperated into the Turkish Cypriot ghetto and the Greek Cypriot areas.

At every single mixed village, the Turkish Cypriots gathered more into TC concentrated parts of the village and the GCs in the GC concentrated part. The cafe visits between the two sides as well as trade virtually finished.

This is no surprise as the Greek Cypriot terrorists(calling themselves the Cyprus government forces) under the leadership of the Archevil Makarios, were considering every material that would enter the TC ghettos as a danger.

Turkish Cypriots had to evict 103(One Hundred and Three) villages to move to villages with higher TC population as to have a higher chance of surviving an attack.

Between 1963 and 1967, Greek Cypriots illegally brought to the island more than 12 thousand+(Official UN figures) Greek occupation soldiers to crush the TC existence resitance.

These 12 Thousand+ professional soldiers, combined with the military power of the GCs who are 4 times our population, turned Cyprus into a hell for all the Turkish Cypriots.

The professional killing army of the Greek Cypriots was opposed by a handful of Turkish Cypriot civilians that had the only aim of preventing the massacre of their families and going on living in their ancestral motherland.

According to independent sources 30,000(Thirty Thousand) Turkish Cypriots had to escape from their villages after 1963.

This is around %30 percent of the TC population back then.

For a country of 60 million, this would mean 18 million refugees.

Add to this the fact that the remaining %70 of the TCs, had to live under constant danger of massacre, inhuman embargoes and had to share their house with dozens of refugees.

So, it was not as you say some Turkish Cypriots affected by the division of Cyprus in 1963 but a great majority and in fact all of them that were affected.

As you were saying:

In 1964, four years after the Union flag was lowered and following violent inter-communal clashes, Turkish Cypriot politicians were PREVENTED FROM RETURNING to the fledgling unitary government after the then president moved to change the constitution.

Self-governed SAFE HAVENS were established after the EVACUATION of villages, and the MAJORITY of Turkish Cypriots carried on LIVING THERE with the help of mainland Turkish and UN aid.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4156/is_19990718/ai_n13940629/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1

When it comes to the peace force(Turkish Army) in TRNC, they are in Northern Cyprus under full consent of the Turkish Cypriot Nation, which is one of the TWO equal owners of Cyprus.

If you doubt the peace force role of the Turkish Army, please tell me, how many Turkish Cypriot Civilians were killed after 1974(Hint:Try zero) by the Greek Cypriot terrorists and how many were killed between 1963 and 1974?

As the Greek Cypriots do not ask for our consent when allowing Kurdish Terrorists, Sri Lankans and all other foreigners into the island and furthermore as they did not ask for inviting 12 Thousand+ Greek Soldiers to the island in 1963, we as well do not need to get their permission for this.

According to the constitution of the REAL Republic of Cyprus, Cyprus could not join a union to which Turkey was not a member of.

Could you explain to us how the illegal regime in Southern Cyprus joined the EU with the stolen title Republic of Cyprus despite this clear legal constraint?

Also, I do not remember the Greek Cypriots asking the Turkish Cypriot nation for permission to apply to the EU. But there were two equal owners of the Republic of Cyprus, so had it been the real republic, this would have been impossible for the Greek Cypriot side alone to make su

Alasian

Message Posted:
02/07/2008 03:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Correction: 3rd paragraph from the end:

Had the Greek Cypriots voted yes for the "Annan Plan"

PtePike

Message Posted:
02/07/2008 17:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Alasian,

Good, informative post. Not all of the facts are as I understand them, but you're the first to put across a concise well-argued viewpoint from the TC position without personal attacks, and for that I thank you.

I actually agree with most of what you say and I hope you found my news feature even-handed. It's difficult to please all of the people all of the time but the ones who take the time to enagage in debate in the first place are the ones I would trust in shaping the future of Cyprus.

A few points anyway - is there any evidence that every single TC community segragated itself after 1963? I know that was the TMT/Denktas policy from 1964, but I understood that some more isolated areas did not isolate themselves from their GC neighbours and that by 1968 things were improving. You mention the Greek mainland troops that were landed illegally, but did you know they were later booted off the island in a humiliating climbdown?

I have to disagree that the Turkish army is there with the full consent of the Turkish Cypriot Nation. The people who comprise that nation have never been given a say in the matter (I accept most would probably agree) and the decision has been Turkey's alone. If Ankara trusted the TCs they would have been given a referendum.

It's true to say that no TC was killed after 1974 but a lot of innocent Cypriots were killed and war crimes committed during and after the operation (ECHR human rights violation judgements against Turkey). The means do not always justify the ends. And besides that, if the mission was accomplished then is there really any need to still have 35,000 Turkish troops on the island today? Does anyone seriously think the GCs would ever attempt any military operations against the TCs? I think they learned their lesson on that.

Nicos Sampson was a disgusting nationalistic killer - as you know he went for your guys and our guys - but I think his ravings of 1981 should not be taken seriously. He was Mr Third Choice, remember. I met the man and even less than 10 years ago he was blaming Greece for all Cyprus' misfortune (he didn't even mention TR)

Yes, the GCs f***** ip big time with their "no" vote in 2004. Perhaps that's why they want to look so keen to find a solution this time. I just hope the leaders of both sides can show political maturity and the people TC and GC say yes to a brighter future. Cyprus is too small to be divided much longer.

What's the the Saita reference, BTW?

Alasian

Message Posted:
03/07/2008 22:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

PtePike,

Thank you for the reply. After 1963, there were only a handful of villages where the TCs and the GCs were not segregated. This is only miniscule compared to the majority where the villagers were completely segregated.

It would be gross underestimation of the pain and misery that the TCs were going through to say that Denktas' policies was the cause of the isolation of the Turkish Cypriots.

This -self isolation of TCs- is a common rhetoric used in GC propaganda but international and even greek cypriot sources can be used to show that it actually is like denying the jewish holocaust a historical revisionism to the extreme.

In Nicosia, the Turkish Cypriot North Nicosia was under constant fire after 1963. TCs lacked the military means of the Greek Cypriots and were forced to evacuate many areas of Nicosia. This includes Kaimakli which is one of the major suburbs of Nicosia.

This suburb/village was occupied by the GCs after 1963 and there is evidence that Clerides in late 1968 rejected handing Kaimakli and Other occupied villages back to its rightful TC owners saying that "This would create a security problem" for the Greek Cypriots!!

This is 6 Years before the Peace Operation. What normalisation are we speaking about?

The normalisation in Cyprus after 1967 is like the Nazis stopping killing the Jews in the concentration camps but leaving them to die in their Ghettos by themselves by not giving food.

The Greek Occupation forces were booted of Cyprus only after the Ultimatum of Turkey to Greece and the air bombing of the Greek / GC combined Genocide forces by Turkish peace planes.

In 1964 we were about the lose the whole University Educated Turkish Cypriot population who were as volunteers defending the only beach head of the Turkish Cypriot Nation, namely Erenkoy/Kokkina in West of Cyprus. They survived thanks to the Peace Planes from Turkey.

In 1967, the Turkish Cypriot villages of Gecitkale and Bogazici in Southern Cyprus were about to get completely annihilated by joint Greek/GC forces, when again Turkish planes bombed their positions and forced their withdrawal from the island with an ultimatum.

Do you know that the Greek Occupiers were booted of the island by the glorious resistance of the Turkish Cypriot freedom fighters as well as support from Turkish airplanes?

Even after 1967, Turkish Cypriots went on living a life of hell. The Greek Cypriots rejected the appeal of the Turkish Cypriot nation to Return back to the Government, from which they had been forcefully kicked out in 1963.

The Turkish Cypriots virtually became a minority community, living under a Greek Cypriot state, sarcastically still called "Republic of Cyprus" despite being a Republic of Greek Cyprus.

The Turkish Cypriots were living in Cyprus like the jews were living in Germany in late 1930s. They now, were not getting killed that often, but still would face inhuman behaviour and actions wherever they have gone.

Going to the beach was a risk, where one would have to risk getting beaten by the Greek Cypriots if he spoke one word of Turkish. Going to Troodos was a risk as it was filled with religious nationalist fanatics ready to make you disappear from the earth forever.

Turkish Cypriots could not open a hotel, without the joint ownership of a Greek Cypriot.

Aziz Kent, is a famous turkish cypriot who managed to build a hotel(Celebrity) before the Peace Operation(1974).

He still remembers how in the Department of Planning he was told by the minister "Sit down dog, I dont have time for you now" and he still remembers how a penniless GC friend of him had to be made his %50 partner so as to be able to get planning permit. Yet at a place far from the Sea and the Centre...

The GC propaganda machine is so crude, so violent that, as they were using the picture of the TC father crying infront of the mass

dirty harry

Message Posted:
03/07/2008 22:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

signed

dirty harry

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.