North Cyprus Tourist Board - Turkey must be delighted with TRNC election result
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Turkey must be delighted with TRNC election result

Turkey must be delighted with TRNC election result

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

spondoolics

Message Posted:
19/04/2010 02:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 21 in Discussion

Turkey are rubbing their hands with glee. They tried to keep Talat in power, and to influence the talks between Talat and Christophias, they say, but democracy rules ok. Turkey has absolute rule over the Eastern Medi and Masters of all they survey there was no way the Army would have withdrawn. What is a few extra million Euro to expand Mersin 10 in to a small insignificant Island which is a military strategic jewel in the med. Christophias with all his blustre and threats, his blocking of every effort to improve TC,s lives has blown up in his face. The EU will have to accept their total mis management of allowing a divided nation into the fold and then betray the TC,s with false promises. Does any one in their right mind think the EU will turn their backs on the only european/american ally in the middle east to appease ROC (which incidentally, doesnt exist) because the Communist Government of South Cyprus is unhappy with a democratic result from TRNC. Turkey,s EU path will continue.

elko2

Message Posted:
19/04/2010 08:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 21 in Discussion

What was all that about?

Turkey is not very happy with Eroglu but as long as they control the strings of the purse they should be ok. However father Denktash who openly supported his previously arch enemy Eroglu will now try to get his revenge on Erdogan (PM of Turkey) by influencing Eroglu to resist Erdogan. However Eroglu is the man who is used to go along with the tides. So he will do whatever is necessarry in order to stay in power. So Erdogan will manage to keep him under control.

The Greek Cypriots must be very happy with the results. They don't really want a solution and now is their chance to put the blame on the Turkish Cypriots. I fear that Eroglu will walk into that trap despite the efforts of Erdogan. You can never lead a cart by putting the horse behind it instead of infront.

ismet

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
19/04/2010 09:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 21 in Discussion

Have to agree with Ismet.

Eroglu's intransigence coupled with his hard line status will only play into the hands of the RoC and the TRNC will be seen as the side that blocked any progress towards a solution.

Whilst Talat had not made the amount of headway that he had hoped to achieve, at least SOME progress had been made and the TRNC had achieved some semblance of recognition via the IPC and trade talks. Under Eroglu's 'leadership', I fear that the TRNC will take a number of steps backwards.

In my opinion it is a sad day for the TRNC.

Just my opinion of course.

Paul

henrik

Message Posted:
19/04/2010 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 21 in Discussion

This is what I wrote yesterday:

I have a theorie that this is all pre assembled; So, Eroğlu wins, then he gets the "cyprus file" on his desk, pressure from turkey will follow, he needs to agree or they will cut the finances, so he will agree to the same points as Talat would have done. Then, the referandum point comes, as UBP and Eroğlu have "achived" this solution for the cyprus problem, UBP followers will vote for YES like Talats followers (peace willings), which will be a huge majority. This will make the unificaton possible. If Talat continiues, the referandum vote for a YES would be a play with the fire.

Keep this in mind what I wrote!

Today morning: Erdoğan, the Turkish PM said: Whoever will be sitting at that table, he will be following the same steps as previously agreed on. And I dont think that Eroğlu will NOT follow them. POINT.

Wow!

http://www.kibrispostasi.com/index.php/cat/35/news/35353/PageName/KIBRIS_HABERLERI

millzer

Message Posted:
19/04/2010 10:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 21 in Discussion

Henrik I agree, your theory certainly seems to be a sesible one. If Eroglu keeps insisting on two seperate states, then as Ismet says this could shift the blame game back at the TC's door, just as the world was waking up to the fact that it was the GC's that were stalling.

I can't really see how Eroglu can maintain his stance, when the UN, EU, Turkey et al have all indicated the solution to be bi-zonal bi-communal

Geoff

Message Posted:
19/04/2010 11:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 21 in Discussion

Eroglu can maintain the hard line and I am sure he will - it was why he was voted in. Numbers-wise you can more or less say the TCs voted for Talat and the mainlanders for Eroglu. The TRNC could probably survive on its own, especially if a deal is done over Maras (Varosha) and Famagusta Port. The GCs will have to get real - I am sure they will, may you all live in interesting times!

Geoff

spondoolics

Message Posted:
19/04/2010 11:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 21 in Discussion

Elko,

The GC,s would have loved and prayed for a solution that gave them what Christophias wanted, no independance at any price. If ,a big if, it went to a referendum, what would have been the vote from GC, OXI. In your wildest dreams a Yes vote How long do you think it will taken GC,s to completely control Cyprus both economically and in Governance. There was absoulutely no feed back from Talat showing what had been decided/agreed on or even under consideration. I believe he is a very genuine person who was to frightened to blatantly upset Turkey by not toeing the supposed party line, unlike Uroglu. The mainlanders (are they classed as settlers) decided the outcome not TC,s which is all part of democracy, they are entitled to vote without prejudice.

Henrik:What points did Talat agree /would have agreed to, enlighten me?. I genuinely do not know. I spend a lot of time abroad so missed out.

Any way nice to have replies from sane persons without any recourse to abu

newlad

Message Posted:
19/04/2010 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 21 in Discussion

Spon,

Talat was stuck between a rock and a hard place and,in my opinion did what he could with two arms firmly tied behind his back.Eroglu is known as a more hard line politician who will have to toe the turkey line or else.I do worry though that Eroglu will take a more cavalier attitude to the talks,which will greatly upset Turkey and the North will be discarded.Just my thoughts,

Paul.

hattikins

Message Posted:
19/04/2010 12:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 21 in Discussion

The South Forum are clearly expressing their thoughts on the election result, here is a sample, from Oracle.

"The true face of Turkish Expansionism has been unmasked!

This is the leader the TCs wanted. This is why they walked out of a Democratically progressive Cyprus in 1963 because they cannot stomach freedom and fairness.

I hope you all rot in the homes you stole. I am 100% behind anyone who sets in motion your removal from this island by all/any legal means possible!"

How can there be peace when there is still such mentality.

newlad

Message Posted:
19/04/2010 12:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 21 in Discussion

And some of them really do believe those views as well.So sad but unfortunateley true,

Paul.

newlad

Message Posted:
19/04/2010 12:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 21 in Discussion

Freedom and fairness,what planet are they on.Who walked away from the annan plan,because it would have meant that they wouldnt have got their own way on every single detail.They (gcs) need to take their heads out of the sand and take a long hard look at what is really going on in the big bad world.I will never forgive them for corrupting, and brain washing my daughers mind when she used to live there,

Paul.

Stewart

Message Posted:
19/04/2010 12:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 21 in Discussion

Dear hattikins...proberly would have said exactly the same, if Talat had won!

newlad

Message Posted:
19/04/2010 13:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 21 in Discussion

Stewart,

Dont think so matey,i think the gcs saw Talat as a soft touch,

Paul.

henrik

Message Posted:
19/04/2010 13:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 21 in Discussion

@ spoon: information is for free availlable on the internet, I dont have the time to write down all the things Talat did. Google. See his latest statements on progress with GCs and other issues..

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/04/2010 12:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 21 in Discussion

I was in London over the weekend and just back.. FORGOT about the election and don't think who is 'President' will make the sl .difference to what TR wants... re Cyprus...

Interesting to hear that REAL TCs preferred Talat... Would you agree, Ismet ?

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
20/04/2010 16:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 21 in Discussion

Mark;

re msg 15;

%100 in agreement with the first line of your comments.

As for the second line regarding REAL TCs.......................I wouldnt bet on that!!

This is a battle of "who is going to lead us at home",not at international level!!

SHOW MUST GO ON

millzer

Message Posted:
20/04/2010 17:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 21 in Discussion

It'll be interesting to see how the talks go now, Eroglu wanting two state solution and Christifias wanting bizonal bicommunal solution. Unless Turkey 'changes' Eroglu's mind I guess both sides are on for another long road to nowhere.

Just a thought, but as both leaders' aims now appear so clearly at odds with each other, maybe for once the politicians who 'purport' to represent the 'will' of the people should let the PEOPLE decide what direction the talks should take BEFORE getting down to further talks. Both sides should hold simple simultaneous referenda with the following question; What would you like the cyprob solution to be;

A) Bi-zonal bi-communal federation

B) Two seperate states

Ok, if one side votes A and the other B then the deadlock continues, but if (as I suspect) both sides vote B then they have the answer from the people as to what basis the talks should take and save wasting more and more years on what form the solution should take. Cont'd

millzer

Message Posted:
20/04/2010 17:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 21 in Discussion

Cont'd

Result = cyprob solved within 6 months as they only things to negotiate are property and territory.

karakum5c

Message Posted:
20/04/2010 17:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 21 in Discussion

There is a better chance of settlement now there is a hardliner in charge.

All you have to look at is Northern Ireland, McGuinness and Paisley (the peacemakers) they were able to bring the hardliners on both sides to agreement that no refomer/liberal politician could have.

Talat could have never got the hardliners to sign an ageement, he was instrumental in getting the ball rolling his job was done.

Texas

Message Posted:
20/04/2010 18:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 21 in Discussion

millzer. re: message 17.

That is the most sensible argument I have ever encountered regarding the Cyprob.

I can only see one possible drawback: Is it in ALL the politicians interests to move ahead with a two-state solution, assuming the vote went as you think?

millzer

Message Posted:
20/04/2010 18:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 21 in Discussion

Well Tex you've hit the nail on the head, it probably ISN'T in their interests as no doubt many politicians have had so much financial mileage over the years with the status quo. However, it surely IS in the interests of ordinary Cypriots who after so many years must be wholly sick and tired of the whole thing and just want to move on and get it settled once and for all.

I should also have said that if both sides voted for A or B then of course the respective leadrs should then respect the will of their people and negotiate on that basis.

I dare say the media moguls would also take a hit if the cyprob was solved, after all..... they'd have very little left to talk about and report on.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.