North Cyprus Tourist Board - Help with install of Windows 7
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Help with install of Windows 7

Help with install of Windows 7

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

GBJohn

Message Posted:
23/04/2010 22:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 29 in Discussion

Does anybody have the disk to install windows 7 or info on how to install it from the Internet. Have tried

twice now and got nowhere, not great with computers got to be made easy for me Not sure if i need the

disk but any help would be Great Thanks

YeniTom

Message Posted:
23/04/2010 23:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 29 in Discussion

Are you saying that you have tried to download windows 7 from the net without paying for it?

If you have paid for it why haven't you got the disc?

If you use someone elses disc it won't work anyway because the authent won't work! You can get hookey Prod Codes but Microsoft are wising up and it will fail in the end

Hector

Message Posted:
23/04/2010 23:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 29 in Discussion

There are several videos on how to install Windows 7. You will need to buy a genuine copy of course. I recommend Windows 7 Home Premium.

Blackbird

Message Posted:
23/04/2010 23:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 29 in Discussion

I wouldn't bother - it's just a jumped up version of vista....

Hector

Message Posted:
23/04/2010 23:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 29 in Discussion

I went from XP to 7.

GBJohn

Message Posted:
23/04/2010 23:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 29 in Discussion

Hi Hector how do you find windows 7 iv got Vista and not been happy with it since the start but would like to find out 7 is doing better or worse than xp and the rest

YeniTom

Message Posted:
23/04/2010 23:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 29 in Discussion

Windows 7 is more an update of XP not Vista. They realised that Vista was rubbish and that is why 7 came out so quickly.

It deals with files etc just as XP does but with the added visulisations and icons of 7. It has got rid of many of the Vista problems of driver compatability and networking problems by using the XP derivatives. In my mind it is more than worth the upgrade from Vista to 7.

Believe it or not 7 is available on E Bay as an unopened package with pukka Prod Keys for as little as £80.--

exmouthfire

Message Posted:
24/04/2010 00:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 29 in Discussion

Best place for this is http://www.software4students.co.uk/Windows_7-software.aspx retailing at £57.99 I use this for all my software.

Navek

Message Posted:
24/04/2010 00:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 29 in Discussion

Hi GBJohn,

Upgraded my PC from XP to Windows 7 at H&N Computers, Ozanköy, East side of Girne

Took PC in, they did the rest ))

Navek

wotzup7

Message Posted:
24/04/2010 01:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 29 in Discussion

Yo Navek..........How Much?????

Navek

Message Posted:
24/04/2010 01:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 29 in Discussion

Hi wotzup7,

Think it depends which version you want 32/64 bit...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

Call in and speak to them.

If you mention my name, they'll charge you 10% extra )))

Navek

Groucho

Message Posted:
24/04/2010 07:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 29 in Discussion

I've upgraded three computers from XP to Windows 7 and very fine it is too... everything that Vista should have been but never was. I have not had a single error message yet... Also one PC from Vista to Windows 7 which is runs as a patch and therefore does not need to format the hard disk and you keep all your old data and programs in-situ.

There may be compatibility issues with older machines... on my old XP desktop had a graphics card that was simply too old and the card maker has not issued a new Windows 7 driver so it only runs in VGA mode. But it still works. Although 1Gb RAM is minimum I wouldn't consider less than 2Gb due to some of the features like the translucent windows not working.

I'm running both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

If you are worried about doing the work yourself H&N will do the upgrade and provide a licensed product number for you. That way you will be running a Genuine Microsoft Software version.

proger1

Message Posted:
24/04/2010 07:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 29 in Discussion

I am not sure if this is the problem because you haven't put alot of info.

Probably the easiest way to install win 7 is to get a computer place to do it for you.

My guess would be that you are not burning the .ISO file correctly from your download. You can't just burn the downloaded software to disc, it has to be an iso file. Depending on which burning software you use, you should look up the help file for creating an iso on disc and then try the installation.

Also as mentioned above, if you are installing from XP you will need to do the full installation whereas if upgrading from Vista it is just an upgrade albeit a long one.

If going from XP you should go to the microsoft pages and get the software for easytransfer. this when installed allows you to copy all the required software from old to new system onto an external hard drive and then back, this also helps with some of the drivers although not all but if you also run the windoows 7 testing software it will tell you which

proger1

Message Posted:
24/04/2010 07:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 29 in Discussion

cont.

drivers are not automatically updated on installation for your computer.

My advice, if you want to do this yourself is to go to the windows 7 site and use the test software to see if your system is capable of upgrade and which if any software or hardware might not work. Graphics and Sound cards seem to be the worst for not being windows 7 compliant, which means no picture or no noise which aint good.

Then if you decide to go ahead with it use the easy transfer software to copy all relevant files.

Finally create the .iso disc for windows 7 or and here is the good news. Windows pages also have a software for putting the iso on a USB drive. Google (install win 7 from usb stick) and you don't even have to restart and change your boot up priorities. this should do the job.

That is one other thing that I just jogged my own memory about. If you have an iso disc then you will need to make sure the boot priority is disc drive before HDD. Google (boot up order)

Paul

proger1

Message Posted:
24/04/2010 08:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 29 in Discussion

Don't worry too much about the nay sayers on here about the genuine disc.

I have used the system I have described above for 4 computers and then purchased the genuine codes from Microsoft.

Not sure if they are trying to be funny or if they just don't realise how hard it can be to get a genuine copy.

I Live in NC and work on an oil rig, not to many official microsoft vendors in either place but if you use the system aboove you will get a 28 day free trial with the software which obviously isn't illegal and then after then you can get a true key code from Microsoft, you need to e-mail them to explain the situation in NC.

I hope all of this helps.

Paul

michelle3012

Message Posted:
24/04/2010 08:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 29 in Discussion

Be careful when upgrading to 7 as i got a new pc with it on and had to spend another £100 on a new printer, as the drivers for my exsisting printer were out of date, so i rang cannon and they hadnt got round to sorting out the updates and said it would be 3-4 months before they did. So i had to search the internet for a list of compatiable printers before spending more money on a new one!

This seams to be a common problem with 7, but when its up and running its excellent, far better than vista!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
24/04/2010 09:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 29 in Discussion

If your computer is running XP and is (say) less than 3 years old ( Windows 7 could make older PCs run a lot slower) and is behaving badly.. then go ahead and install.. but remember you CAN'T upfrade from XP - you have to install over the top of XP - so BACKUP..

If it ain't broken - don't fix it.. no reason to upgrade .. wait til to buy a new PC !

If using Vista.. things should actually SPEED UP by switching to Win 7 !

Navek

Message Posted:
24/04/2010 11:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 29 in Discussion

"If it ain't broken - don't fix it.. no reason to upgrade .. wait til to buy a new PC !"

Would love to have a nice new PC ))

The PC I'm using at the moment was built by myself in March 2003.

Running on Windows 2000, then XP, now Windows 7

With 3 hard drives, 1 external x 250 GB, 2 internal x 80 GB.

Only had to upgrade Graphic Card & install DVD Rewriter.

And add some Random access memory (RAM)

Still going strong. :-(

Navek

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
24/04/2010 16:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 29 in Discussion

vista is crap thats why you now have win 7

cooper

Message Posted:
24/04/2010 18:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 29 in Discussion

Astalavista baby - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25V4Kb4c99Y&feature=related

andrew4232

Message Posted:
05/11/2010 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 29 in Discussion

can anyone give me more info ont he software4students software site, how do you get round the not being at a school or collage to prove your studying anyone who has done this could you please let me know

cheers

ianwfs

Message Posted:
05/11/2010 09:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 29 in Discussion

From their web site.

"Who can buy software at Software4Students?

Primary and Secondary students: All currently registered students of primary and second level schools in the UK

University and college students: All currently registered students of universities and colleges in the UK

Parents, grandparents and guardians: If you are a parent or guardian or have a grandson or granddaughter for whom you would like to license the software, then you can purchase the software. The main requirement to purchase is that the end user licensee must be a student or be a faculty member in one of our listed educational institutions.

Teachers: Teachers employed by an accredited primary or secondary school, or a public or private university or college"

If you come in to one of those categories, You are asked for the name and address of the educational institute. They do the occasional spot check to verify this. I have bought W7, Expression Web, and Office 2010 through them with no problems.

HNComputers

Message Posted:
05/11/2010 10:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 29 in Discussion

OR...you can just bring it in and I'll do all the messy work for you including backing up your documents for 50TL

aussiejock

Message Posted:
05/11/2010 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 29 in Discussion

download BitComet install on C:\ drive, once installed go here and download Windows7

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5757941 This version is fully activated click on the (Download this torrent ) not the large green one that says DOWNLOAD, it will ask if you want to save or run this file, click run, BitComet will find it automatically just click ok and Bitcomet will start to download Windows 7 it's an iso image file, when it's downloaded put a blank DVD in the DVD burner, right click on the iso image, scroll your mouse curser down to "open with" you must have Nero or some other burning software that can recognize an image file, I use Power iso, but nero is just as good, just click burn, burn the image at a speed of 4X you will not get any mistakes at that speed, once burnt restart m/c and I can tell you now it will find all the drivers thats on your system, unless you have an old computer where all the drivers are now obsolete have a cup of tea come back fully installed. Robert

aussiejock

Message Posted:
05/11/2010 14:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 29 in Discussion

continued

Window 7 is a very stable system, but you must have the boot sequence set up right in your bios, when system boots up press delete key or F2 key depending on your system this will bring you into the bios setup, you have to find where the boot sequence is, once you find where it is change to 1st boot floppy, 2nd boot DVD, 3rd Boot hard drive, if you don't have a floppy drive then it will be 1st boot DVD, 2nd boot Hard drive, save your bios F10, m/c will reboot and find the DVD as the first drive it will ask you to boot from DVD hit any key and Windows 7 will start to install, after that just follow the prompts, very easy to install, as I said just walk away have your tea come back and it's all done for you a few questions and you will be into the desktop, on your desktop where all your icons are highlight one press CTRL and hold down, at the same time scroll with your mouse to make the icons smaller.

Robert

jenny278

Message Posted:
05/11/2010 14:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 29 in Discussion

WFridaye a ell I must hav Th This goobledegook is from my under a year old laptop installed with windows 7 and I hate it, I change from a reasonable, mild tempered tolerant person to a ranting lunatic who is very tempted to throw the ******** thing out of the window. Everytime I try to use it I have to continually delete and re-write everything, letters that should take a few minutes take over twenty. I brought it brand new boxed from the uk and will not be returning until after the guarantee expires, I am so frustrated with the thing. As I tried to write in my first sentence it must have been a Friday afternoon job.

P/S If my grammer, punctuation or spelling is in-correct please excuse as it has been a slog to get this far

aussiejock

Message Posted:
05/11/2010 14:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 29 in Discussion

it must be a celeron you have, not the best m/c for windows 7, I have a quad 4, 8 gig of ram and a score of 7.7 only let down by my video card, and Windows 7 run just great.

Robert

Hector

Message Posted:
05/11/2010 18:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 29 in Discussion

I love Windows 7, wouldn't dream of going back to XP. Much more intuitive and easy to use for me.

aussiejock

Message Posted:
06/11/2010 18:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 29 in Discussion

I like Mandriva Linux or Fedora 13 Linux, good safe fast systems, and cost nothing free downloads from the Linux website, with lots of help, once you know how to use Linux you will find it's a good stable operating system and very enjoyable to use, the new releases have got better and easier to install, you install as a duel Boot with Windows 7, and have the best of both worlds, have used a Mac and their really a good system but the price of a Mac Laptop is ridiculous and I just wouldn't pay that type of money, so I use an Emulation program to install MacOS 10.5 onto my PC a bit slow but you get to know the ins and out of a Mac.

Robert

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.